Diary of a swing spread better

Out of the short again at break even. The stop was too tight.

Attachments

• out of short.jpg
    out of short.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 110
Temped to go short again but will have to go out in 15 minutes. The DOW can still fall further.

Have to forgo a chance to make money. The DOW is still heading down. Will have to run now.

Attachments

• short chance.jpg
    short chance.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 149
Fiddlesticks!

Hi Hung and Don

Well I'm admitting to making a balls up of it today!

There was nothing wrong with the trading plan - just the operator succumbd to being too pleased with herself after yesterday and made a complete c***-up of it all.

The Dow was scary today for me. And I've made a loss - but I've only got myself to blame.

If you want the full unadulterated version of what happened it's all in my journal.

I've got a glass of wine next to me and it's going down far too well at the moment.

Hope tomorrow is better.

Jilly :rolleyes:

Hi Jilly,

I feel for you. Hope you're feeling better now.

There's alway tomorrow.

Here's the chart of the DOW again. For me the 180 minute trend line seems to be very important. Day traders seem to be paying too much attention to details and may miss the big picture. If I can refrain from trading the DOW in the first three hours, I would stand a better chance of making money.

And I assume it's also important to start with a relatively small position and add to it as the market reveals itself a bit more.

Have a good night, Jilly!

Hung

Attachments

• dow end of day.jpg
    dow end of day.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 122
Splitlink said:
Hung, you can't do that. You were extremely lucky to recoup most of your loss.You have to keep your stops tighter. The trouble is that you cannot abide a loss and so you hang on while it gets worse. Go over to the psychological thread and let them brainwash you a bit. :p

I'm only half joking!! I've been through that stage which has made me believe that DOW trading is extremely risky and why I trade FT shares

To keep my log straight, I closed the LLOY short this morning for a loss of 1.1 points. I don't, normally, trade with stops that close- just had a different view of the share this morning.

Split

Hi Split,

Do you think Don and I are just one person with two user names :)

Hope trading is going very well for you.

Best,

Hung

hungvir said:
Hi Split,

Do you think Don and I are just one person with two user names :)

Hope trading is going very well for you.

Best,

Hung

Must be going cross-eyed. I'm not so worried abouit Don because I know he is on demo.

Well, that's a relief! :) Delete my remarks about the psychological thread :LOL:

Looking at your BLT. I think that trying to spot the top could be expensive. Don't you think that it is better for it to start a new trend and then short on a pullback? I've sent a chart over. My idea of a pullback are my blue lines (B) whereas (A) are the red tops. The trouble is spotting where the tops are- almost impossible.

Split

Attachments

• BLT.GIF
    BLT.GIF
    13 KB · Views: 153
Hi Split,

You're right. It was not the smartest thing in the world trying to call top and bottom.

And BLT is exceptionally bullish. I think people behind it must know something (a takeover, a perfect deal...).

Many thanks for the chart.

Best,

Hung

Profit shown for PRU and MKS at last.

I also realised that CMC debited/credited my account everyday depending on if my position is in the red or in the black. Quite a surprise to me as I think future contracts are only settled at expiry date.

Attachments

• pru and marks.jpg
    pru and marks.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 113
  • pru chart.jpg
    pru chart.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 103
  • mks chart.jpg
    mks chart.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 123
hungvir said:
Profit shown for PRU and MKS at last.

I also realised that CMC debited/credited my account everyday depending on if my position is in the red or in the black. Quite a surprise to me as I think future contracts are only settled at expiry date.

By the way, I didn't congratulate you on becoming a veteran.. It took me years to do what you did in weeks, which tells me that you are very talkative :p

Split

Splitlink said:
Must be going cross-eyed. I'm not so worried abouit Don because I know he is on demo.

Well, that's a relief! :) Delete my remarks about the psychological thread :LOL:

Looking at your BLT. I think that trying to spot the top could be expensive. Don't you think that it is better for it to start a new trend and then short on a pullback? I've sent a chart over. My idea of a pullback are my blue lines (B) whereas (A) are the red tops. The trouble is spotting where the tops are- almost impossible.

Split

Hi Split
Thanks for the chart, very good points for us to think about. I do promise to read the psychological thread for a bit of brainwashing before I venture out of the sandpit, honest :cheesy:

hungvir said:
The DOW is now my darling I'll do analysis on it everyday even if I can't afford to trade.

Hi Hung
Welcome aboard the evangelical church of the dow swing trader. :cheesy:
Yes, well done hung on becoming a veteran.

JillyB said:
Well I'm admitting to making a balls up of it today!

Hi JillyB
I expect you felt better after the wine :D and sharing your bad day with us. all posters to the diary seem friendly and helpful and supportive at these times. Good journal by the way keep it up. A useful link for you maybe?
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=246801#post246801
A better day today for you I hope :)

Have a good trading day everybody

Don

:)

Last edited:
Sold to close III @ 924.1 Loss 15.9. The last couple of trades I haven't been thinking properly.
It seems to me time to be shorting on pullbacks.

III, certainly, was not a buy, which means that I deviated from my plan :mad:

Split

Splitlink said:
By the way, I didn't congratulate you on becoming a veteran.. It took me years to do what you did in weeks, which tells me that you are very talkative :p

Split

Thank you, Split! I am talkative though am not an extrovert. If you put me in on a train full of people I would just shut up :)

On another note, I just became a British citizen alongside with being Vietnamese :) It set me back 500 quids plus though :)

Have a great day there! I am taking the kids to Chessington today.

Best,

Hung

Splitlink said:
Sold to close III @ 924.1 Loss 15.9. The last couple of trades I haven't been thinking properly.
It seems to me time to be shorting on pullbacks.

III, certainly, was not a buy, which means that I deviated from my plan :mad:

Split

I don't know if you think the same but I make much better decisions when I do my analysis EOD. At least this is what stands at the moment.

Good trading,

Hung

don_h said:
Hi Hung
Welcome aboard the evangelical church of the dow swing trader. :cheesy:
Yes, well done hung on becoming a veteran.
Don

:)

Thanks, Don. The DOW is just brilliant. I trust that If I had more time for it, I would be a winner more often.

Best,

Hung

I've reached my posting quota this morning :)

Have a great trading day every one, especially Jilly if you're trading. But you deserve a day off with another glass of wine :)

hungvir said:
I've reached my posting quota this morning :)

Have a great trading day every one, especially Jilly if you're trading. But you deserve a day off with another glass of wine :)

Thanks for that - but the wine is being saved until tomorrow, when I will need it as Dutch courage.

We've done a charity version of Strictly Come Dancing - except we're not allowed to call it that - where we've taken eight local Guernsey celebrities and taught them one ballroom and one latin dance in 12 weeks. Tomorrow is the big show - in front of 400 people!!

I will need a glass (or two) I think before I go on! :LOL:

hungvir said:
Thank you, Split! I am talkative though am not an extrovert. If you put me in on a train full of people I would just shut up :)

On another note, I just became a British citizen alongside with being Vietnamese :) It set me back 500 quids plus though :)

Have a great day there! I am taking the kids to Chessington today.

Best,

Hung

Great news! 500 quid? Money well spent. Don't think you've stopped paying, though. It just cost me 107 € to renew my passport. I used to go to Chessington- nice place. Have a good weekend.

Split

JillyB said:
Thanks for that - but the wine is being saved until tomorrow, when I will need it as Dutch courage.

We've done a charity version of Strictly Come Dancing - except we're not allowed to call it that - where we've taken eight local Guernsey celebrities and taught them one ballroom and one latin dance in 12 weeks. Tomorrow is the big show - in front of 400 people!!

I will need a glass (or two) I think before I go on! :LOL:

Wow, 400 people! I need two bottles to cope with them :)

Good luck with it and trading!

Best,

Hung