Diary of a swing spread better

Hey Slaps - I've just got back from football and came on here to post a message, as I was expecting a zero post day and we could not have that. My tales, well, after all that effort in the heat of the evening sunshine on the pitches overlooking the Marina down here we lost 3-2 to the reigning champions. We have it all to do if we are to win the league.
As for the trading, I took the open as a long when I saw it bolt through and then form a flag. I took the entry on the breakout of that flag in the knowledge that today was a short day before holidays and we could expect some selling so demand would be high. I was correct, but not until after it had laboured in a range for quite some time, I made 17 points today, which again is positive territory for a mornings work in a sideways ranging pre holiday market and that can't be bad.
Tomorrow I am going down the beach for a swim, be down there nice and early, about 9am and will be taking Joe Ross' Law of Charts and 1-2-3 formations in the hope of learning a bit more about this methodology, which I am finding increasingly intriguing. Thanks must go to Frugi for providing this link. The full trading manual by Joe Ross can be found on the Naked Trader's website, I for one have downloaded this and have started today printing the material off into a binder for reading over the summer months.
Speak tomorrow chaps.
Chris

Chris and Slaps,

I hope there were no resignations after the losing game :) Enjoy the beach tomorrow!

I did not even look at the market today. Took my kids to Bluewater to buy them sandals to wear in this 'heat wave', had a meal at Nando and found out that no one boycotted Portugese chickens :)

By the way, I just won my son's school's raffle - a digital camera. Amazing given that this year seems to have been one of my most unlucky ones. We may have seen a tripple bottom here :)

And I'll be in Bangkok by the weekend after next. I won't have to bother about heat wave any more as it will always be there plus heavy rains. I may not have time to daytrade as often but will try to trade the DOW live at least once a week. It will surely be exciting 12 weeks ahead.

Cheers,

Hung

chindl said:
Hey Slaps - I've just got back from football and came on here to post a message, as I was expecting a zero post day and we could not have that. My tales, well, after all that effort in the heat of the evening sunshine on the pitches overlooking the Marina down here we lost 3-2 to the reigning champions. We have it all to do if we are to win the league.
As for the trading, I took the open as a long when I saw it bolt through and then form a flag. I took the entry on the breakout of that flag in the knowledge that today was a short day before holidays and we could expect some selling so demand would be high. I was correct, but not until after it had laboured in a range for quite some time, I made 17 points today, which again is positive territory for a mornings work in a sideways ranging pre holiday market and that can't be bad.
Tomorrow I am going down the beach for a swim, be down there nice and early, about 9am and will be taking Joe Ross' Law of Charts and 1-2-3 formations in the hope of learning a bit more about this methodology, which I am finding increasingly intriguing. Thanks must go to Frugi for providing this link. The full trading manual by Joe Ross can be found on the Naked Trader's website, I for one have downloaded this and have started today printing the material off into a binder for reading over the summer months.
Speak tomorrow chaps.
Chris

Evening Chris,

Unlucky withyour match but well done on the Dow. I've had a crazy day at work and missed the first 90 mins, there was definite resitance at the 11230 area, we'll have to see what the rest of the week brings and wether it goes. Due to work being so busy I've switched to the 5 & 10 min charts and taking more of a position trade for the longer term (same rules) until I can devote a bit more time.

Going through the Steve Nison book and really enjoying it. A lot of things are becoming clearer as I progress.

Enjoy the beach!!!

hungvir said:
Chris and Slaps,

I hope there were no resignations after the losing game :) Enjoy the beach tomorrow!

I did not even look at the market today. Took my kids to Bluewater to buy them sandals to wear in this 'heat wave', had a meal at Nando and found out that no one boycotted Portugese chickens :)

By the way, I just won my son's school's raffle - a digital camera. Amazing given that this year seems to have been one of my most unlucky ones. We may have seen a tripple bottom here :)

And I'll be in Bangkok by the weekend after next. I won't have to bother about heat wave any more as it will always be there plus heavy rains. I may not have time to daytrade as often but will try to trade the DOW live at least once a week. It will surely be exciting 12 weeks ahead.

Cheers,

Hung

Congrats with the Camera Hung!! Just in time for your trip too!

Cheers, Slaps. I hope my son will let me have it. He already claimed ownership :)

Best,

Hung

Hung - I had to go out and buy a second digital camera because he claimed ours as soon as it arrived. We then gave him his own at Xmas. He's really good, we have a photo on the side that he took at a wedding last spring with a proper film in camera, he was only 3 at the time. A budding David Bailey.
We will have to ensure that we keep this thread going sufficiently in your absence.
Off down the beach for a swim, a read and to listen to some funky N. soul sounds in a short while, have a good day folks.
Oh, glad you're enjoying the Nison book Slaps, the candles really do offer a good insight into the probabilities of what may follow.
Chris

hungvir said:
Chris and Slaps,

Cheers,
:devilish:
Hung

I was in Bangkok about the time I was around Saigon and Haiphong. Very picturesque- You'll enjoy it. The river villages on stilts and the smell of trhe produce! And we could see the temples from the river, too. Of course, that was years ago, there are probably skyscrapers there now :devilish: One of the guys used to eat his mangoes in the shower because he had a juice problem.

Have a good time.

Split

Slapshot said:
Evening Chris,

Unlucky withyour match but well done on the Dow. I've had a crazy day at work and missed the first 90 mins, there was definite resitance at the 11230 area, we'll have to see what the rest of the week brings and wether it goes. Due to work being so busy I've switched to the 5 & 10 min charts and taking more of a position trade for the longer term (same rules) until I can devote a bit more time.

Going through the Steve Nison book and really enjoying it. A lot of things are becoming clearer as I progress.

Enjoy the beach!!!

Going on past years, the Dow usually rises in the 4 trading days before the 4th July and then falls away in the few days after. So we may be in for a retrace tomorrow.

Slapshot said:
Evening Chris,

Due to work being so busy I've switched to the 5 & 10 min charts and taking more of a position trade for the longer term (same rules) until I can devote a bit more time.
Interesting, do you change any of the parameters or do you still use 100EMA, 150 CCI and 14 RSI? Are you having any success with this, as I would have thought the indicators would need to be slighlty altered to take account of the different timeframes.
Chris

chindl said:
Interesting, do you change any of the parameters or do you still use 100EMA, 150 CCI and 14 RSI? Are you having any success with this, as I would have thought the indicators would need to be slighlty altered to take account of the different timeframes.
Chris

Hi Chris,

How was the beach?

I use those timeframes in addition to the 1min chart to get a feel for the longer term movement so in essence I don't think much changes really other than that the stops are likely to be a little wider. I used to trade off those timeframes a while ago so it should be ok. With regard to the indicators they still work well over that time.

Cheers
Slaps

Cool - will look at expanding the timeframes.
Beach was good today, though we had a brief downpour about 1pm, so I got in the sea!!!! I do like swimming in the rain!! Went for a pint after that! Read up on 1-2-3 and Ross Hooks for a while down there. Some interesting stuff in that material. Not studied sufficiently to put it into practice, but I'll certainly be looking out for them in the future to see whether I'm reading them sufficiently well . Once I am then I will consider trading them, but only when I'm reading them well enough. I must thank thank Frugi again for turning my attention to them, still working my way through the thread.
Also had some work material to read through so I was not able to read too much of it, I was after all working. I won't go into that bit though (laptop on the beach, marvellous technology is)!!!
Enjoy the rest of the semi, Italy look good, even though Schneider just missed the best opening of the game!!

I will leave the Dow alone this morning - the ADVFN charts have a huge gap as a result of the shorter session on Monday, so all my indicators are out of step as it has my CCI lowpoint at -5000.....
Good luck to those who trade it.
Chris

Been giving my plan a bit more thought over the weekend and i've decided on a wider stop of 100 points and a stage entry into the trade, the first off the weekly chart (if its pivots are close to the monthly ones only) and the second at eod. I'm also gonna place trades about 15 points above/below the pivot as i missed some preety big moves last month as a result of not getting in.

so first trade is going to be long at 11111 has not been hit yet today, was missed earlier by a few points. if this dont get hit today it will be cancelled as new weeklys are in tommorow.

Good luck all.

ps did any one catch the article on binary betting in city am yester day

Hi chaps,

I'd been looking after my two little ones while my wife was a way for a short trip to Belgium so no time to do anything else :( And just when she came back, I am now at work. Don't think I'll trade today.

By the way, the match this evening should be entertaining. I think France will win it. But in life as well as in trading, things do not tend to go the way I think they will so let's see.

Good trading,

Hung

chindl said:
Hung - I had to go out and buy a second digital camera because he claimed ours as soon as it arrived. We then gave him his own at Xmas. He's really good, we have a photo on the side that he took at a wedding last spring with a proper film in camera, he was only 3 at the time. A budding David Bailey.
We will have to ensure that we keep this thread going sufficiently in your absence.
Off down the beach for a swim, a read and to listen to some funky N. soul sounds in a short while, have a good day folks.
Oh, glad you're enjoying the Nison book Slaps, the candles really do offer a good insight into the probabilities of what may follow.
Chris

Amazing! He was certainly the youngest photographer I've ever heard of. Not sure if there is such a category in the Guinness book. My son is five and he's just exploring what a digital camera can do. He seems to like plugging it on and off the computer more than actually taking pictures.

And I like Nison's book too. But the signals tend to be valid for short time frames rather than long ones. I am also giving Goslin's 'Trading Day By Day' a more serious reading. Interesting that he'd been to Vietnam and stayed there during the bloody Tet Offensive. The reason I did not read it with much interest was that I was won over by Mark Rivalland's method.

Later,

Hung

Splitlink said:
I was in Bangkok about the time I was around Saigon and Haiphong. Very picturesque- You'll enjoy it. The river villages on stilts and the smell of trhe produce! And we could see the temples from the river, too. Of course, that was years ago, there are probably skyscrapers there now :devilish: One of the guys used to eat his mangoes in the shower because he had a juice problem.

Have a good time.

Split
Thanks, Split!

I already bought a book about Bangkok and one about Thailand. I am very anxious to explore Bangkok first then other places in Thailand. If I like it, I'll come back next year. No one from work fancies going and we always need to have at least one person there to take advantage of the time difference.

Bangkok now has sky train and tube (limited coverage) as well. Oh and the red district. Did you in any way contribute to make it what it is today :) I am sure you did not :)

Best,

Hung

Short term trade on the break, a small spike in neg vol failed to make headway south, now I'm no expert on vol, but if it's not poss to push the market down much when it spikes then a reverse should occur, but I may have this completely wrong and would stand to be corrected if so. Anyway, took the long on the break of that little range and on the CCI S/R switch. Made ten, should have been double or more had I trailed, exits need to be worked on big time for my early trades.
With regards photos, I'll try and post some amusing ones he's taken in the goddamn early hours of winter mornings before the 2nd came along earlier this year, they're amusing, because he moves his object around to get shots!!!!!

Attachments

• Trade 1 5 July.gif
    Trade 1 5 July.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 149
Look forward to seeing the pix, Chis! Missed a very good short on the DOW but the first half was very entertaining so it was worth it.

And another 10, but again could have been more. I took an earlier signal but got freaked out due to oversold RSI and got out too sharp just before the dip. 20 more in the bag today, so can't grumble, 37 for the week so far on only 2 half day sessions.

Attachments

• Dow Afternoon 5 July.gif
    Dow Afternoon 5 July.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 131
chindl said:
And another 10, but again could have been more. I took an earlier signal but got freaked out due to oversold RSI and got out too sharp just before the dip. 20 more in the bag today, so can't grumble, 37 for the week so far on only 2 half day sessions.

Nice going Chris, I didn't trade today as I wanted to watch someone crying as they exited the world cup.