Diary of a swing spread better

I like challenges, Jon :) The issue here is when to leave the DOW alone and when to trade it. I left it alone during the last hour and rightly so.

What I like about it is it can move 50-100 points in matters of minutes or hours though not all the time.

I haven't looked at the FTSE for a while now. I may have a look later on today.

Cheers,

Hung

Attachments

• dow 11.jpg
    dow 11.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 155
HI guys,

I feel like i've gone cold turkey, 6 days and no new trades, this new approach is really gonna test my paitence, wil stick to it for this month, if it rewards well at the end of the month it gets to go another one if not i'll go back to the weeklys.

Rewarding meaning 400 dow points in my pocket, anything less and i'll be disappointed :cheesy:

Poor day, up 27 in the morning session on 3 very good disciplined entries and exits, 2 x 10 points and 1 x 7 then throw the cash back with a down 24 in the afternoon session off two trades. Chased the afternoon session when I should have left it alone, especially as I hit it late, at about 7-45 so mindset wrong. Still positive, just, and now on 40 points (I think - system closed) for a short week. Test the nerves tomm with NFP pre market, anyone trading the currencies at 1-30pm? Even if you're not, open a couple of charts, one for cable and one for EUR just to watch the action unfold as the news hits the wires. ALways something to behold!!!!!
Chris

Elefteros said:
HI guys,

I feel like i've gone cold turkey, 6 days and no new trades, this new approach is really gonna test my paitence, wil stick to it for this month, if it rewards well at the end of the month it gets to go another one if not i'll go back to the weeklys.

Rewarding meaning 400 dow points in my pocket, anything less and i'll be disappointed :cheesy:

Aren't you a bit mean to give it just one month probation :) The standard is six months mate :)

But patience is the important virtue in this biz isn't it. I just don't have enough of it yet.

Good luck with your new approach!

Cheers,

Hung

chindl said:
Poor day, up 27 in the morning session on 3 very good disciplined entries and exits, 2 x 10 points and 1 x 7 then throw the cash back with a down 24 in the afternoon session off two trades. Chased the afternoon session when I should have left it alone, especially as I hit it late, at about 7-45 so mindset wrong. Still positive, just, and now on 40 points (I think - system closed) for a short week. Test the nerves tomm with NFP pre market, anyone trading the currencies at 1-30pm? Even if you're not, open a couple of charts, one for cable and one for EUR just to watch the action unfold as the news hits the wires. ALways something to behold!!!!!
Chris

Chris,

There were no killer moves in the afternoon and I agree that we should have finished the day before 7PM.

It's still a tough market to be in at the moment so even if I can just hang on to my nest eggs I'll be happy :)

Good luck,

Hung

hungvir said:
Aren't you a bit mean to give it just one month probation :) The standard is six months mate :)

But patience is the important virtue in this biz isn't it. I just don't have enough of it yet.

Good luck with your new approach!

Cheers,

Hung

6 MONTHS!!!
:eek:

Dont they also say that time is money, using the weekly pivots was giving me a healthy return but i felt like i had to be home to watch which is why i've switched to the monthlys, in theory it should work just as well, so if it dont make money this month its already a porer performer, (i cant handle the idea of months when i'm down.

The dows performance today and yesterday is really tempting me to go back to the weeklys however like you said paitence somthig or other so i'll give it its month.

Good luck with it, Eleft.

The DOW has just done a u-turn. I like this pattern. If there's 2/3 red bar to come, I'll buy.

Just made a short trade and a long one in matters of minute for a net loss of two points.

Attachments

• dow1.jpg
    dow1.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 147
Went long when I saw price going up after two red bars but there was not much of a follow thru. Stopped out, minus 10. Total loss today is 12. Can't give the market full attention at the moment so I won't make any more trade.

Attachments

• dow 2.jpg
    dow 2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 158
I've been watching the market for about an hour now and it's been moving more or less along a horizontal line. Nobody knows which way this market is going to go.

By the way, had several 'session timed out' messages from ADVFN in the last half an hour or so. I am not trading and I have four screens to use (at work all by myself) so it's not a problem. But this is the first time I got timed out when accessing the DOW feeds. With regards to the FTSE, I just can't count them.

Good trading,

Hung

Now we're seeing some real movement, more than 40 points in 12 consecutive red bars. And it has not stopped yet.

Closed the short for one point loss. But as soon as I loss my nerve and closed my position it went down again.

Net loss of 13 for the day and five points for the month.

The down swing actually finished as soon as offered a 'chance' to go short. The only way to make some ten points out of it was to sell when the horizontal trend line was broken or the 'three crows' candlestick formation.

Hung - nice use of the candle terminology. You really should use WS for these little adventures of yours on the Dow, I'm confident you would have more luck, as you would have more faith in your trades for the simple reason that you would be able to cut the loss within a matter of a few seconds for little in the way of a loss if it does not take off as you expect it. You'd be having less of those 2-3 point losses. You need to learn to trade on price a little first with WS, but once you get the hang of it then there's points to be had. With fins your four down before you even get out of bed, it eats you like a pirhana.
HAd a good day today, rounded off a good week. Took a short straight off the open as it was obviously going to dip. I must say that there was significant divergence between the future and the cash in that first hour, I ended up trading the price ticker on the future rather than looking at the charts it was that different. At one point cash dropped about 30 points about 15 mins into the session and the Sept didn't budge. The sooner I have enough equity to go DA with either an e-mini or with FB the better, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get the charts through "the wall" at work. At the moment my needs are being met with the point spread and, touch wood, not got any issues with being referred as yet, but I trade only small fry, 1 or 2 points a go.
Following the open I then took another nice move during the lunch session when it's usually deathly quiet. No others to speak of, a 1, a couple of 2 & a 3 point gain along with a BE brings the days points tally to 34 and the weekly tally of 73.
I have many areas for improvement, but as a general rule I am happy with the progress I am making. I have grown my account by 42% since I started this day trading the Dow lark again on 13 June and I've got to be happy with a 42% return in 3 weeks. I'm slowly moving through those threads and the Ross material on 1-2-3, Hooks and TTE so that I can expand my market. I would ideally like to have the option to trade the currencies in a similar way so that I am not tied to a set market hour, 3-5 and 7-9 each day, I'd like the option to trade the close of asia and the open of europe in the currencies as well, so long as I have tested the water effectively enough to uderstand how those markets move at those times so early in the morning.
Of course, I still have the EOD, but I am questioning whether that is a good use of my time at the moment, as I am making good strides at this moment in time on the Dow.
I will try and post some comments on the state of play in the markets I review for my EOD strategies over the weekend, some carnage and rampaging going on in those, Cocoa has really taken off in recent weeks and I'm thinking that SUgar may follow. Also a bounce from on high after NFP for Crude, what will the implications be there and will we see £76 - $77 next week. Also, is Copper due a run and are the metals ready to carry on with the bull run. Metals had a big down again today at some resistance levels, but there were a number of downside reversals today. I'll review and try and post something, as this quick post has really gone on now!!! Time to sit back with a glass of Yalumba Viognier and chill.
Have a good weekend all.
Chris

woohoo, finally in

monthly pivot is at 11079, i've gone long at 11094 with 3 cfds (aprox £1.50 per point) going by the pivots my target is 11410 which would give me a good 300 pts but it feels really far away at the moment, only time and my nerve will tell...

You're suddenly very ambitious and optimistic about the market, Eleft :cheesy: Again, good luck with your long!!

Chris,

Fantastic results there! Congrats!

I have the same opinion about Fins' fat spread. And I actually used WS for my last trade which I got out at just -1. Had I used Fins, it would have been -5.

Look forward to seeing your charts later. I used a different computer at work today and don't have the screen capturing software.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend!

Best,

Hung

hungvir said:
You're suddenly very ambitious and optimistic about the market, Eleft :cheesy: Again, good luck with your long!!

Hung

Actually its my lack of optimism thats making me nervous about the trade, its the pivots that are are making the predictions for me, anyhow you know how thickle i am, as soon as it goes my way a little i'll reverse the trade to a short at be, up or down i dont care.

Chris,

Well done mate 40% in less then a month is fantastic, i think we share the same worry about fill rate and slippige when we increase the stakes, i've tested the water with cmc with up to £5 a point on the dow and all seemed fine, but then i'm on their cfd platform not spreadbet, dont know if it will make a difference when i switch.

As for da or futures betting for me the only downside is that they dont offer out of hours trading and a lot of my setups trigger out of hours so when the time comes maybe i'll keep the cmc account just for those trades.

Elefteros said:
Actually its my lack of optimism thats making me nervous about the trade, its the pivots that are are making the predictions for me, anyhow you know how thickle i am, as soon as it goes my way a little i'll reverse the trade to a short at be, up or down i dont care.

Chris,

Well done mate 40% in less then a month is fantastic, i think we share the same worry about fill rate and slippige when we increase the stakes, i've tested the water with cmc with up to £5 a point on the dow and all seemed fine, but then i'm on their cfd platform not spreadbet, dont know if it will make a difference when i switch.

As for da or futures betting for me the only downside is that they dont offer out of hours trading and a lot of my setups trigger out of hours so when the time comes maybe i'll keep the cmc account just for those trades.
was trading £10 a point on dow with cmc, no problems. only time i had trouble closing was after announcement which seems the same with most sb companies.

Elefteros,

As for da or futures betting for me the only downside is that they dont offer out of hours trading

DA miniDow futures are open for electronic trading from 00:15 till 22:00 Mon - Fri (UK time BST)

I've been at work since 10:00 in the morning and will spend the night here :( No chance to trade for at least a week until I settle in Bangkok by this time next week. I hope you guys will keep me updated.

And here's something to say thank you and for you to explore. They were taken from LBC web site. We all deserve a good break this summer :)

www.picnicconcerts.com

www.benjerry.co.uk

www.bigchill.net

www.fruitstock.co.uk

Cheers,

Hung