DB an Geo's Smallcap Smorgasbord

GBP JPY continues to get hammered - so no trade there, despite my comments yesterday - £CHF worked ok for a good few pips if you managed to get in in.

Looking at FTSE now for possible shorts, but lots of retrace required - 5272 or thereabouts could be a lovely area to short. This would also be a 61.8 fib of todays low and yesterdays high and SR level, presuming current low holds. 5250 is possible short area too imho.

btw mr. geofractus me owld china...

could you explain your confirmation strat for me again?!!

is it as simple as looking for a bias pattern on, say, a 1m TF at a fib retracement on a move AFTER the 4H biasa has been confirmed?

btw mr. geofractus me owld china...

could you explain your confirmation strat for me again?!!

is it as simple as looking for a bias pattern on, say, a 1m TF at a fib retracement on a move AFTER the 4H biasa has been confirmed?

Aye lad, that be it pretty much. 1m is super aggressive, so you may prefer 2m for a little more sanity.

i hate these FTSE dips when all i can do is go long on equities.

i might make this IGmarkets CFD account a real one.

read an interesting post by timsk geo.

he was talking about scaling out of exits...turns out he concluded that he was losing money from closing a portion of the trade and letting the rest run with a stop @ BE.

the exit still remains the tricksiest nut to crack...

in ref to BE trades Dr.B - personally I think it's all about managing risk - since your E$ trade was anti 4H trend, and followed quite a bearish day, I would say getting stopped at BE is a bonus tbh... all imho, no offence.

A strategy I have used for managing risk is to scale out my position for a zero risk trade. For example, a trade with a 20 pip SL, scale out 50% of your position at +20 pips... if the trade goes against you, your break even point is 20 pips beyond your entry, and with no risk.

read an interesting post by timsk geo.

he was talking about scaling out of exits...turns out he concluded that he was losing money from closing a portion of the trade and letting the rest run with a stop @ BE.

the exit still remains the tricksiest nut to crack...

The Lap and I spent ages chatting about that very point - scale out or not!? - on paper it makes sense, and it is something I do quite often. But I can appreciate the rationale for not scaling out.

Exit rules aren't too bad imho, well at least if you're prepared to accept fairly manual rules.

DB, look where we are now on E$ - 50% fib of yesterdays swing - this where I would look for a 1m/2m bias change for short entry typically.

edit: this also coincides with the low of the 7th dec.

The trouble is the euro looks pretty over extended to the down side.

Really I need to learn PN's counter trend strategy to find more trading opportunities.

aah...ok, bring out the 2min charts!

this price feels a little like no mans land though...i'd feel more comfortable at 780 or 798, but this is becasue i have a load of old channel lines on my chart (and not a nice clean 'dark-side' chart like yours :))

actually the 2min chart is fascinating...a series of balanced 15-20 pip retracements...

with a channel drawn on the 2min TF you can def see the buying power is waining...but has it stopped? harder to say.

i'm going with my 798 level, the 38% fib is there too.

E$ 2min

red lines are my old channel levels.

would you take a confirmed channel breakout as a confirmation to enter geo?

or is that too low a grade signal as compared to bias change?

2 min shows buyers are struggling, but nothing clear yet.

EDIT:

780 breached, but i'm still holding out for 795 area...even if this isn't a longer TF trade, there would still be a 15-20 pip scalp.

EDIT EDIT:

where've you gone mr. geosophagus?!! come back here at once and converse with me regarding the Euro versus Dollar conundrum... :cheesy:

Attachments

• E$ 2min.png
    E$ 2min.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
still respecting this channel..i've just added a second outer channel floor to coincide with the 8.40 and 9.10 drops.

Attachments

• E$ 2min update 2.png
    E$ 2min update 2.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 113
Ok, will be back in half hour Dr. B - stuff to sort out with clients - oh joy! :)

short 763...target 10 pip scalp at first...if it blasts through 10 pips i'll move my stop to BE and see what happens

EDIT:

i took the 10 pips, didn't fire through 753

Last edited:
short again 751

EDIT:

as per i dived right in...there's a real skirmish going on at this price...

EDIT:

stop moved to 759

EDIT:

key points are

EDIT:

FTSE is rallying which i don't like whilst being in a E short.

Last edited:
FTSE at an interesting level....Found support at 5190 this morning,

50% Fib from swing low 3 Nov....confluence with 61.8% Fib from swing low 27 Nov,

Rbs from Sept High's.......Daily 50 ema,

Im long from 5207.