Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Strictly come trading !!!

Nice to see you....to see you nice !

heres the scores for todays tango by the USD.......and compared to last 2 weeks they have been low

Then if you look at the low score days for USD ...mostly the GBP has come to the rescue with big
volatility to multiply any returns...........but not today really...its been pretty limp as well so far

You need "energy" in the USD to make the pair trades happen - and it has not happened really today :(

so Traders - dont beat yourselves up tooo much !

N

Attachments

• strictly come trading.jpg
    strictly come trading.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Start your engines........

here we go......you all know what to do now so lets do it ...draw the S/R lines on r next 15mins then play the breakout of that range on G/U

some big moves in the early hours so could be some exitement today !

on our private PM's overnight JRP told me he got some pips back yesterday.... so respect to our resident F/T Professional....a bloody tough one yesterday per my recent market overview post r (y)

N

Attachments

• 7am 11th dec.jpg
    7am 11th dec.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 180
JEES ....its rodeo time today.....30 pips in 2 X 5min bars.... !!!

that last 5m pinbar tells me the range will be

high 6311
Low 6273

big one today !!

N

sorry my remote access is a joke today...........

i can see that the breach was actually upwards on the range so thats where
to be trading but ive lost it again........:mad:

above 6323 looks good based on small retrace following the breach.... ?

N

remote back.........:)

nice rising markets on elevators in 5m and 30m....and the 1000/1 's look happy to support a Europair rise and tag fall....

fingers crossed
N

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 136
slow upward progression of the Europair vs Tag

but jees..........its like watching paint dry !

heres the 5m 1000/1 today so far........

N

Attachments

• slowwwww.jpg
    slowwwww.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 144
really struggling with remote access today ..........damn !!

Flat as a pancake is USD.............!!!

heres 1000/1 5m for today and last few days....

some nice moves on E/G if you've seen them..........

N

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 141
JRP...you get any bites this morning ?

real tough one :eek:.....zero volatility on the USD has meant the other dudes have been playing off of only half the potential pips........

:smart:as Ive said before...you get your targeted Pairs pip total from the 2 currency volatilities combined.....if one is minimal then the other currency has to do all the work to make your pippage target.....and that is twice as tough before you get whipsawed out !

Euro Ground it out upwards this morning...........look at the triangle !

N

Attachments

• tough morning.jpg
    tough morning.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hola N and all,

Suitably refreshed from yesterday's car crash (!) plus having got some small compensating revenge via way of a good trade mid afternoon, here comes today's observations....

G/U Yet again another big bar (08:05) right after my personal opening bell had me thinking "... Oh oh, here we go again ..." so today I decided that a) initial market bias was definitely up and b) I would use the M1 tf to trade and take entries off M5 tf on a long basis only, scalping for 13 pips (my DMA broker has tight spreads and zero restrictions on where orders are placed) per pop and adhere to that plan until price starts to properly (ie easily identified) trend. So that was the plan, a true plan the trade and trade the plan!

Using the good old 1-2-3 setups in M5 and adopting a hairy 8 pip SL with half normal stakes, plus keeping the big 08:05 bar's mid point as the "bounce" boundary line and only running when higher highs (the apex of any 1-2-3 setup after each trade) were made, off I went. First setup after the "3" leg was 08:35 bar and long opened at 63117 with MAE of 5 pips (08:40 bar) and TP during 08:50 bar. Second setup (higher high apex confirmed) was 09:10 bar and long opened at 63186 with MAE of 6 pips (same bar) and TP during 09:20 bar - just missed my TP on opening trade bar and also subsequent one! Third setup (again, higher high apex confirmed) was 10:00 bar and long opened at 63112 with MAE of 2 pips or so (same bar) and TP during 10:10 bar - bit of a tight squeeze on that one. After that last trade price didnt form a higher high apex so that was my lot as no trend of any sort was in sight either. Three trades taken today purely because of adopting scalping technique alongside with 50% of normal stake level.... And feeling a bit bravo to boot!

E/U Fairly smooth no-brainer trade (is there such a thing really?) as opened long on 08:35 bar at 47364, went up nicely to start with then retreated to a small (after yesterday's horror show it was big to me!) MAE of 5 pips in 09:10 bar, then finally engaged gear and motored upwards before staggering around in a fairly tight range so I left the party at 11:05 for 18 pips profit.

E/G Got a bit over zealous with first trade here as opened short on 08:10 bar at 90305 then watched that retrace for several bars until 09:00 biggish up bar and closed out for 8 pip loss. Second trade entered with buy stop order during 09:40 bar at 90413, suffered yet another retrace for MAE of about 6 pips before price decided to treat me kindly and zoom northbound until eventually I was taken out during 11:45 bar (TS hit) for 16 pips profit.

All in all not a bad day especially after yesterday, so no complaints from me here.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

look how flat the USD world has been for last 2 days on the 5m chart

N

Attachments

• low range.jpg
    low range.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 166
Alleluha !

the USD broke that 2 day range - and boy was it good !!!!

N

Attachments

• allwluya.jpg
    allwluya.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 136
hi all .........hope yesterday pm was not to bad

The breach on that 2 day USD range delivered nice pips to close the week on europair vs Usd !
(that E/U was wonderful !)

The second chart shows the 15m corrie index when the market moved around 1.30pm ish as the US market woke up....gold lead the way with euro didnt it so great moves there - in truth the Equities and Crude were not that strong in their falls to merit the fully correlated USD (and Yen) upwards move

have good weekends !
N

hope your enjoying the format here.....i'm certainly appreciating JRP's expert analysis of his trading plays......great stuff (y)

please contribute if you can as we would love to get this thread more balanced with additional contributors ....newbies, intermediates, experts are all welcome here....(y)

Attachments

• wrap up.jpg
    wrap up.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 15m corrie index 11th dec.jpg
    15m corrie index 11th dec.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
7.00am - 15m bar results

Hi all

oops - nearly forgot this !

Lance Beggs e-mailed me that he would be to embarrased to claim this strategy as its been around forever and does fail quite frequently...so hes surprised at its run of good fortune !

anyway heres the trio of currencies and that 15m range......tell me what you see

G/U....15-20 pips conservative
E/U.....30-40 pips (count em !!)
E/G ....15-20 pips but would one have taken that small breach down ?

all in all the net haul was not to be sneezed at so if Lance dont want this system i'm bagging it for our collection and going to work on some further enhancements

the second chart is the index corrie and in truth the story was the lunge down by GBP and gold futures just prior to the 15m bar .....gbp came back slugging from that drop followed by the Dax and Gold so a little market correlation but the S&P futures were neutral so you cant really claim it was a totally market supported play....:|

anyone want to chime in on this strategy......overall though so far i'm in love :love:

Attachments

• trio.jpg
    trio.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 158
  • indexcorrie moves.jpg
    indexcorrie moves.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Re: 7.00am - 15m bar results

Hi N and everyone,

Another Christmas party last night and, just for a change, managed to actually earn some brownie points by kind of behaving myself giggly juice consumption wise - to be honest I was fair cream crackered after the week's trading! Another function to attend tonight and I just know my temporary "good boy" hat will slip big time....

N, I've seen loads of variations on that 07:00 M15 bar set up. big dog, London open etc., and its best to only take one trade per day as long as the directional breakout is with the prior prevailing trend. Also its ideal to set a pip buffer on breakout boxes and there are a few threads dedicated to these techniques over at forex factory (am I allowed to mention this site?), one in particular had a good idea of waiting for the 3 period SMA (simple moving average) to break the box before trading, by using a TP from the actual SMA's break point.

One thing to watch out for is low volatility days during the Frankie open, as price can drift around a lot after any initial move. With the "wonders" of MT4 you can easily use an indy to plot an overlay 15 minute candle on [say] a M5 chart, that way you can follow price more dynamically - shout if you want this indy.

Have a great weekend and regards,
Simon.

Hi Fellows, just found this thread and can't make head nor tail of it. Perhaps it is too complex for my poor brain.
My idea was that I could get the gbp/usd and the eur/usd on my screen and trade the difference between them as per the forex impact fellow.
Anyway, I have downloaded the corr indies and will see what I can make of them. Thanks

Simon, the 15 min overlay would of great help to me on another project, so if you would be so kind, I would be most grateful.

Phreddy

Re: 7.00am - 15m bar results

Hi N and everyone,

Another Christmas party last night and, just for a change, managed to actually earn some brownie points by kind of behaving myself giggly juice consumption wise - to be honest I was fair cream crackered after the week's trading! Another function to attend tonight and I just know my temporary "good boy" hat will slip big time....

Have a great weekend and regards,
Simon.

Hi mate

Yep - this certainly fits in with my previously held image that you trader types are the quiet retiring bunnies that are in bed by 10pm every night for the early London openings....:innocent:

tee hee :p
N