Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Re: strange days.....

Hi N and all else,

A real tread carefully morning/early afternoon for G/U today as UK chancellor spins his porky pies about the "true" level of debt and how its going to be tackled. Also I'm slightly nervous about USA opening bell today as more truth is coming out about Dubai problems and Greece, as a country, looks to be heading the Iceland way - no, not to the shop!

So for this morning I used 11:00 as my cut off time for G/U trading and ran half normal stakes, whilst doing my normal thing with E/U and E/G pairs....

E/U Had a Buy stop order filled at 47378 during 08:30 bar and got stopped out (SL hit) just before the close of 08:45 bar for 18 pip loss - ouch! Second trade was again filled with buy stop during 09:20 bar at 47418 which proceeded to go into a shallow drawdown (panic!) and narrowly missed my SL by a few pips, got real lucky there as I was tempted to bail out instead of waiting as per my rules - who naffing wrote those?!! That narrow squeak paid off and price jumped up on the 09:20 bar, drifted down again without real threat a few bars afterwards, then jumped up again and drifted.... Sort of a rinse and repeat action for quite a lot of bars until finally taking out my TS during the 11:10 bar for 11 pips profit. I should have really closed out this trade earlier as approaching two hours in the market meant I was at a high level of risk - ie longer market exposure equals higher degree of risk.

Couldnt find anything to trade after this exit point as market flattened out.

E/G This pair looked to be screaming "short!" most of the morning after I had entered (umm, short!) on 08:15 bar at 90756, suffered a shallowish drawdown for two bars then rode the following southern slow train downwards before jumping off at 09:20 for 16 pips profit. I watched that retracement for some while until it started to turn around again and placed a sell stop at 90474 and this got filled during 10:35 bar. This second trade didnt show any threat until 11:35 bar where my TS was hit for a 14 pip profit.

Done that one for the day, especially as after closing the second trade price was see-sawing around somewhat.

G/U Very surprised to see this pair motoring along firmly upwards today from the start, given the economic statement release around lunchtime, so just proves that the market will do whatever it wants to do I guess! First trade entered 08:30 at 62326 long and I suffered a drawdown (what is it about today?!) for the following three bars with a MAE of just under 12 pips, then price jerked violently upwards and then retraced to take out my TS on the low of 09:35 bar (it actually was a nice up thrust bar, curses!) for 33 pips profit - a classic case of getting to close and not letting a trade breathe. I was very tempted to open a second long trade at the 10:35 bar opening, but given my cut off time for today and the fact that all trades were taking quite a while to mature, this was resisted thanks to me running outside very, very quickly for a tea and smoke break!

Obviously that is now finished for this session and whilst bashing my keyboard for this post I can hear the UK chancellor in background telling his fairy story and see this pair locking itself into a narrow range. Will it break out? Who knows and much might depend on what the final "stated" public defecit figures are, what extent the bank bashing "premium" might be and how he intends to fill this black hole from us already hard pressed tax payers. The markets will take wee while to digest these, so big caution there.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

Hi N and all else,

I should have really closed out this trade earlier as approaching two hours in the market meant I was at a high level of risk - ie longer market exposure equals higher degree of risk.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

hmmm...thanks mate !

for all newbies this is what that 2 hours in that trade
felt like for a professional F/T trader like Simon :clap:

N

Last edited:

Hi N and all else,

G/U Very surprised to see this pair motoring along firmly upwards today from the start, given the economic statement release around lunchtime, so just proves that the market will do whatever it wants to do I guess!
Simon.

hey mate......attached below is the 5m 14/3 (20ma) elevator index corrie

its been expanded to show the morning session.....I am now always looking for when the GBP goes with the markets in a direction and I see 3 sessions of this today
(green starts red ends)

Session 1 - 7.20 - 8.20..........buy GBP with markets (Euro Followed USD)...and mr Beggs 8 from 8 !

Session 2 - 10.05 - 11.25........first half was buy GBP then everything reversed for sell (also note how
in the second half of session, the GBP turned to run parrallel with the Euro (then both opposing the USD) making it a pipfest for both !).

Session 3 - 12.15 - 12.35.....fastball sell GBP with market ....also notice when the session ends it is the Euro that picks up the Markets direction and makes a few more pips selling against the USD (but peanuts)

that was it .........only correlation periods for G/U if you believe in trading on market correlation !

Naturally the G/U was producing trades outside of these periods but since they did not reflect my idea of good correlation conditions to me they are more risky - as the Tag team and/or the GBP are displaying extreme strength or weakness NOT being driven by the market forces.....which can happen a lot of the time of course !

to be honest I actually believe that the Markets correlate negatively to the Tag more than a pure positive correlation to the Europair .....but a lot of the time in the market this will be the same thing (when Tag is obliging by opposing europair) so when you sit on that bull again :-0 perhaps hunt for the market/GBP direction.....or the euro/market play dependent on your pairs bias if GBP and Euro are not moving together (more common than thought)....this is what I want to develop much more in the Private forum with you :smart:

confused ?...I am :LOL:

N

Attachments

• GBP market correlation 9th Dec am.jpg
    GBP market correlation 9th Dec am.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
as I am talking look at that elevator chart now !!!!

LOOK AT SESSION 4 !!!!!!!! :clap:

N

Attachments

• 14-10pm.jpg
    14-10pm.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Hi N,

Thats a real facsinating observation thanks, plus also your thoughts earlier on today over the corrie indy. I'm finding that good moves in E/U and G/U are being underpinned someway by moves in E/G, in that breaks of corrie 1000/1 for these three on low tfs (moving in force, not direction, as we have started to discuss on pf) flags very good trade opportunities.

That can also be turned on its head to look for the weakest "link" within these three - ie who is moving up against two pairs versus who is moving down against two pairs and can also show out one currency which, on this basis, is flat - and usually pancake flat it is as the chop monster scoffs away!

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

Hi N,

Thats a real facsinating observation thanks, plus also your thoughts earlier on today over the corrie indy. I'm finding that good moves in E/U and G/U are being underpinned someway by moves in E/G, in that breaks of corrie 1000/1 for these three on low tfs (moving in force, not direction, as we have started to discuss on pf) flags very good trade opportunities.

That can also be turned on its head to look for the weakest "link" within these three - ie who is moving up against two pairs versus who is moving down against two pairs and can also show out one currency which, on this basis, is flat - and usually pancake flat it is as the chop monster scoffs away!

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

if I am interpreting correctly some of what you are saying above....

forget the markets and just trade whatever currency is not moving with the other
2 currencies - pairing it to the strongest mover in the parrallel pair

(ie find 2 moving same direction and trade against the other)

AND - if the USD is in parallel with something - the pair becomes obvious !

see 5 examples today below on a 5m 14/3 corrie....Green is in trade red is out trade

Goverment Wealth warning

trust me - I have been playing with this stuff now for quite a while and hindsight on corrie makes great reading.....but try it real time......:rolleyes:

N

Attachments

• 5 trades.jpg
    5 trades.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 154
Hi N,

Think we are both sort of "doing" the same thing here but from different angles! Once I know a bias of direction the what I've been seeing is a possible way to focus on a particular cross for more higher probability trades.

Taking my fav 3 pairs as an example and using simplistic analogies; G/U is up (former is rising against latter), E/U is up and finally E/G is down. Based on that, U is the apparant whipping boy whilst G is the "master" (up against U and up against E) and E could be looked as being somewhat flat (up against U but down against G)....

That was what I was (and have been) experimenting with this morning with your corrie and its the usual case of hindsight being the eighth wonder here, because lo and behold G was certainly the dominant long trade, U was falling over and E was tough going for me against U in losing my first trade and having to do that bucking bronco video (good stuff there!) to squeeze out on top for the second.

Simon.

Simon - slowly but surely we are getting somewhere....!:smart:

once we get the E/G/U sorted....theres just all the other potential G8 currencies to play with and of course the markets and their own systems !! (y)

I must agree that Yen is a passenger as we are not trading it on scalping TF's and it does follow the USD easily 80%+ of the time (or usd follows yen...whatever !) so confirmation may be irrelevent

when Yen moves opposite to USD is another fascinating area to look at (non correlated events are much rarer and could provide fanrastic trading opportunities)....but not here yet...........or ever if we cant crack the terrible trio being discussed !

PM me some time with some thoughts on your trading methodology - i'm fascinated !

N

Last edited:
Hi N,

Yes 100% correct there, all the other G8s plus indices etc can be looked at overall AND sub divided into interelated groups.
Simon.

Puuurrrfect ?

ok - ignoring the odd pinbar....i dont like pairs charts.....i'm a corrie purist !!!

N

Attachments

• perfect set up.jpg
    perfect set up.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 177
6.58 thursday morning

mornin all - mega busy to day so you will all have to amuse yourselves !

here we go....lets see if the 7am 15bar magic works to get 9 from 9 !

overnight pretty flat.....little nudge down on GBP and Yen a little twitchy but no mega biases

those are key resistance levels on the 30m so perhaps the tag will fall for a while ?

whatever !
N

Attachments

• 7am 10th dd.jpg
    7am 10th dd.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 156
wow.....7am bar has fired the tag drop into action with europair going north !

N

acually ...am I looking at the right bar ending 7am or 7.05 ???

oops need to check lances system
N

big range on G/U so will be intresting........looks like continuation of europair north tag south but the markets have opened all over the place

n

Attachments

• big range.jpg
    big range.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 154
heres a simple idea

ive colour coded my 3 pair charts in direction of currency

green = USD , Red = GBP, blue = EUR
more colour I see = more dominance !

DOH - the G/U is wrong way around !!!

(sorry :eek: )

Attachments

• colouyr code.jpg
    colouyr code.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 169
gotta go...........will post later but no direction signalled yet on 15m bar

Hi all

Quick update............and its 9 from 9 for the 7am 15m breakout strategy
(perhaps I should change the name of the thread ?)

current
looks like markets have settled down to a steady climb for europair, with Tag team obliging downwards...Markets in attendance going north so all is well in correlation-land ! (well so far)

I will seriously ask Lance Beggs to set a thread up here as 9 from 9 is not toooo bad as a system for 10-15 pips minimum before most people are awake ! ....;)

busy bee today so talk later....
N

Attachments

• 9 from 9.jpg
    9 from 9.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 158
Get your corrie here !!!!

Ref the pms being recieved.......

the FXcorrelator is attached to page 64 post #505

the other (corrieindex elevator) is available by pm'ing me....BUT you dont get unless you've posted a little bit here telling me how the basic corrie is working for you and thoughts..... :D

please dont forget to send me the $7,500 for downloading it :rolleyes:

N

lets see if GBP holds that R line...........

Attachments

• hold the line.jpg
    hold the line.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 158