Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Hi N,

The chop monster is snapping around all three crosses right now so its a toughy until our cousins across the big pond join this bun fight fest. Made a typo in my last post re second E/G trade as this was a short and not a long as written - sorry about that - either way it was a loss, curses.

Maybe G/U is shaping up for a breakout sometime after the lunch period? Who knows - I sure dont!

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

wake me up later.........

amen to Simons post.....

twas the weeks before xmas and all was quiet.....:innocent:

thats a G8 on the far left ..........5m on 1000/1 :sleep:

N

Attachments

• wake me up later.jpg
    wake me up later.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 178
houston we have a problem ......

my remote access is just freezing on me today..thats twice the charts have stayed still whilst idiot me thinks they are still merrily moving along :eek:

i'm not mr technology either ....

N

2pm......

hmmm

still no real action on the 4 we follow.......and when we see them all generally falling in the 5m and 30m TF's guess what...yep another currency is really pumping 1

Its the cad.......see the Left chart corrie there on a 5m 1000/1

Nice moves !
N

Attachments

• CAD moves.jpg
    CAD moves.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 201
follow the rules......

If I had a £1 for everytime i ignored the rules....i'd be richer than Mrs (Tiger) woods Lawyer ! :LOL:

today ive been tied up but odds on would have got chopped to pieces and ignored the lovely slow controlled fall on USD this afternoon......from about 2pm

you see to make money on that I would have had to

1) ride the usual chops associated with the G/U play
2) Trade CAD/USD which was just as nice this afternoon as G/U (not shown)
3) Buy yen into USD as they were not correlating all afternoon ( eh?)

folks - we have only just started to scratch the surface....

hope you got some pips
N

Attachments

• 5pm 7th dec.jpg
    5pm 7th dec.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Hows the index corrie doing ?

Good question.........!

That slim dude who hangs out on the left of the page has had more tweaks
than...umm - forget it as I could get banned...!

We have 5 markets shown with G,Y & Usd on it as well (the 3 in bold)

its on a 14/3 setting which means the top floor (above zero dotted white horiz) is where markets are trading > their own 20ma and below is vice versa.....the Currencies are trading below / above their 20ma averages for the G8...

we have elevator charts on a 1m 5m and 30 so I have multiple up of X5 and X6....

I am trying to get consensus on these charts to support the trades (mainly G/U)

it is working ?

to be honest the problem may not be the correlation issues (ie do the markets do the reverse of the tag)...but the ole chestnut of conflicting TF signals for same MA's......(ie 5m chart lines up but 30m has lines in opposing positions etc etc) any advice would be appreciated here.....but the potential is deffinately there !!

look at below....thats the 5m corrieindex today expanded....nice correlations as the Tag oppose the GBP and markets a hell of a lot....now just got to get it all working together !

look at that early action when GBP crumbled with the markets and the big pipinos were made....

then you can see the 2pm action when GBP went north with the markets and tag went south....

I need to sit and eyeball these to drill the shapes into my brain...theres also an interesting
play at about 10am when GBP and the Tag were all lounging in the Ground floor but the markets
(except CAD) were all in the top floor flat..........look what happened next.....Cad and GBP went up to join the markets and I missed a good buy GBP signal.........(yes you may have already surmised from the 5,000 posts and examples on the thread that if GBP was south with the tag team - then the Euro must have been up top with the markets instead....but you cannot see that on the charts as Euro not shown !)

this is still a classic example of a Corrie anomoly....one of many that we need to identify, isolate and research to see how they behave............

Because the greatest Value from the corrie family may be in identifying those rare times when market dynamics are non-correlated and we can predict/trade the inevitable (high probability) corrections

(busy busy busy then.......!)

N

Attachments

• corrieindex 5m 7th dec.jpg
    corrieindex 5m 7th dec.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Hey JRP - are the decorations up ?

heres my humble house.....to much ?

Tee Hee
N

(note - no kids = minimal decorations .....bugger that stuff !)

Attachments

• xmas.jpg
    xmas.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 616
Nice one Gold.......!

umm....no one can say gold is not trying its hardest to bury the tag then !!

and G/U is picking up some nice pips

AWESOME !!!

N

Attachments

• Gold rules.jpg
    Gold rules.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Hi N,

Your house has more lights than your corrie indy when markets exploded like last Friday! Got decorations down from loft but fell over box of wifey's favourite baubles... She is going to stick me on top of Christmas tree when finding those broken treasures for sure.

Glad I walked away from pcs after this morning's lot as couldnt see much action to shout about apart from a few opportunities for a quick scalp here and there. Onwards to tomorrow then and hopefully market will wake itself up and throw something to us poor starved traders.

Great post on "How's the idex corrie doing?" above, thats facsinating stuff and as long as my own baubles are intact later on, I'm going to look at that in more depth - thanks for this.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

Hold the line.......

look at USD hold that line on the 1m middle chart......markets are hammering it but its holding so far !!

G/U plays still making money as GBP continued to rise anyway !

N

Attachments

• hold the line.jpg
    hold the line.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 165
10 pips is 10 pips....right ?

perhaps the most useful thing about the 1000/1 corrie is this

it tells you what direction individual currencies are going

(DURRRR.......thanks NVP !) :whistling

no...i mean it !!!

if you make 10 pips scalping the G/U .......dont you want to know what % each currency contributed to the party ? :eek:

was it a 50/50 contibution for the 10 pips ? (ie both trending steadily in opposite directions on the corrie)

or was it an "armageddon" GBP in barnstorming rocket form (in which case the Usd was not moving much... but GBP went ballistic and generated all the pips on the trade !)

do you see what I am getting at ?.....which is a better 10 pips to aim for when watching the corrie.........waiting for ballistic volatility on 1 verses zero on the other...or a shared experience ? :sneaky:

hmmm - pehaps think more of the Yen/GBP/CAD verses the CHF as a typical 1 sided trade that I am trying to describe above...you are pitching at just using 1 currency for the volatility (any of the trio mentioned will do that jobby) and the other (CHF) as just a platform with minimal volatility to affect the trades outcome (CHF=:sleep: ! )

think about it...its key to future corrie research in some areas :smart:

N

Knock knock.....

whos there ?

remember the earlier post re USD being battered but resisting ?

heres what happened when it breached.....ive used Gbp as the "foil"

10+ nice pips there but a bit wobble early on as GBP thought it would move downwards with USD (ouch!)......then got its act together and went north...!

so in this example the pips were shared pretty much 50/50....if you want to get very pedantic you would focus in and measure the distances they both moved during trade....but that would be a little excessive ! ;)

PS...then look at that equally fast reversal (again shared 50/50)....boy do you need to be fast !!!

N

Attachments

• 10 pips shared.jpg
    10 pips shared.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
1 more for luck.....

heres a classic example of the Euro correlating with the market whilst GBP
fannies around with the tag

on the left is the 1m 14/3 corrie index the right is normal E/U pair chart

see how the markets all go south at the vert red line but GBP stays in top floor with the tag.....that 95%+ means that Euro was falling with the markets

and it did for 10 pips !!........ok god knows if things were confirming on higher TF's (they wernt !)...but I wanted to get it down for future research / comment

N

Attachments

• fast euro pips.jpg
    fast euro pips.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 160
Hi N,

Your house has more lights than your corrie indy when markets exploded like last Friday! Got decorations down from loft but fell over box of wifey's favourite baubles... She is going to stick me on top of Christmas tree when finding those broken treasures for sure.

Glad I walked away from pcs after this morning's lot as couldnt see much action to shout about apart from a few opportunities for a quick scalp here and there. Onwards to tomorrow then and hopefully market will wake itself up and throw something to us poor starved traders.

Great post on "How's the idex corrie doing?" above, thats facsinating stuff and as long as my own baubles are intact later on, I'm going to look at that in more depth - thanks for this.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

wish it was my damn house....looks big !

tell us what the view is like from the top of the tree when your'e up there
later.....:LOL:

N

tuesday fun.......

Hi all

feeling wiped out with bug since yesterday.....just woke up then going to bed again !

hmmm looks a nice correlated start today so nice pippys already I see (y)

lovely correlations on the elevator as well....look how clean the charts are with the Tag in one box and GBP and the markets in the other :)

1m is saying that GBP and markets are retracing......then in perfecto trade terms they will move down into the Ground floor again to reconfirm the trend being seen on the 5m andf 30m elevators..........

however this is planet earth - and if it did that all the time we would all be millionaires !:clap:

later hopefully.....
N

Attachments

• tuesday 8th dec am.jpg
    tuesday 8th dec am.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 195
Lance Beggs....7 from 7 !

Lance Beggs...(a great price action Trader and coach) has now called 7 trades from 7 on his opening breakout strategy observed on the ole G/U at 7am GMT each morning

go to his website yourtradingcoach.com for more info

trade the breakout from the 15m range of trading G/U 7-7.15

heres the move today withthe 5m corrieindex on the left showing how sweet it was

Note - only the Dax (blue), gold (gold), S&P30 futures(Grey) and OIL are firing at that time in the morning as FTSE doesnt wake up till 8....but these guys all moved south at 7 am supporting the GBP position with Tag above in top floor....

look how after the 15m range on the corrieindex the GBP goes north a little (2 flattish 5m bars therefore on G/U pair) which is luckily "Neutralised" by tag team still moving north as well.....BUT the market indices never waver though in their descent.....then GBP recommences the downward path - chasing a very bearish gold ! (y)

I also liked the Yen accelerating north through the USD during those 15mins....but thats
just icing on the cake !

Theres about 15-20 conservative pips here guys ...........superb !

later.....
N

Attachments

• 15m GBP USD 7am 8th dec.jpg
    15m GBP USD 7am 8th dec.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Euro/USD 7am performance ?

and before you ask.......

that same play on euro this morning was worth 30-40 pips !!! :clap:

superb !
N

shall I call the ambulance....?

I have a headache a dodgy tummy and feel exhausted.....yes

ITS MAN FLU..!!:cry:

oh my god......my wife doesnt understand how bloody serious this....manflu is not like normal flu....its more like bubonic plague meets Tubersulosis with a 20 pint hangover thrown in !!

oh well.........i'll soldier on as no one loves me....sniff

if only I had the strength to move this mouse....puff puff...(c'mon NVP your readers need you ! :eek:)

made it........heres 12.15 ish and plenty of pips on table from Selling G/U all morning really..the markets decided it was time to go south of their 20Mas around 10.3am to support that selling of Euro and GBP from then.... (y)

also that green Resistance line on the 30m far right corrie (for USD) is serious historic stuff and will take a lot to breach... so s/be interesting !

OK - hopefully i'll still be here to post later.....my visions blurring....cough cough.....I can see a white light in the distance....(doh left the toilet light on :LOL:)

N

Attachments

• 12 15pm  8th dec.jpg
    12 15pm 8th dec.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Re: shall I call the ambulance....?

Hi N and all else,

Bit late on parade posting this morning's bun fight as electrician had power off to repair fused circuit which I managed to blow up when hooking up Christmas lights last night - my youngest daughter thought it was funny as my hair stood on end and I did the merry "shocked" dance! The reputation of my diy skills holds no boundaries....

Anyway, moving swiftly on (cough, cough) here is what I "saw" earlier on:-

G/U Opened long on 08:20 at 63609 and immeditaely went into a MAE of just shy 11 pips - hmmm, hold the trouser change for a moment - then price started to crawl back my way slowly which allowed me to raise initial SL slightly, then started to slide back down again and took me out during 09:15 bar for a 14 pip loss, nearly an hour for a loss? Thanks - not!. Second trade opened on a sell stop order during 10:55 bar at 63264 and sure enough, got myself into yet more trouble with MAE of circa 10 pips four bars later, before price moved back south, then stagnated a few measely pips below my initial entry, went south again on a good sized bar that allowed me to follow this (oh so gently though!) with TS until finally being taken out during the 12:20 bar for a shade over 28 pips profit. Phew! A lot of worktime there which shows market hasnt really got any decent momentum, so decided to leave this pair alone.

E/U Opened short on the 08:05 bar at 47954 and got unceremonously stopped out five bars later for a 15 pip loss. Second trade opened on a buy stop order during 09:20 bar at 48262, stuttered around for three bars before finally engaging gear and heading northwards (big sigh of relief) and hit my TS at 05:25 bar for just over 22 pips profit. Third trade entered short (would someone please tell me where we are actually going today?!!) on 11:10 bar at 48291 with no MAE just for a change as price slithered southwards, paused briefly at the 48000 level before jerking down below which allowed me to drag the TS down to 47947 and as sure as politicians lie to us all, the 12:15 bar took me out for 28 or so pips profit. Finished for the day on this pair now.

E/G Couldnt find a decent set up to start with until price popped its ugly head above the parapet at 09:20 so a long opened at 90691 and fell into an immediate MAE of nearly 7 pips before price recovered and minced on upwards again and took my TS during the 10:40 bar to give me nearly 12 pips profit. I didnt rate the ensuing price correction much so wrapped this pair up for the morning.

Bit of a toughy this morning and that second G/U trade nearly had me closing out for a very small profit when it refused to move (temper, temper Simon...), but it eventually did the business for me.

Hope you feel better this afternoon N and get some sympathy from wifey! Trade well and regards,
Simon.