Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

sell E/U looks good..............1158 breach would be nice though

jees may as well Yen into U as a better call as this is like watching paint dry.....

Any idea how this works, Alan? Do they buy big, stay in for an hour and clear out again or is that way too short a time-frame for an institution?

And Fitch have just cut Greece's debt rating - what is this, chess?

Hi Gavin,

The SNB have grown increasingly concerned about the appreciation of the Chf against €. This is their 3rd or 4th intervention in recent months. They will certainly have bought big, hence the sudden move. This will be a long term strategy as their objective wouldn't be achieved if they then sold the € back into the market again. They will continue to intervene if their latest buying spree fails to cool the Chf.

As they're right in the middle of the Eurozone, much of their trade is with EU countries Their export trade with these countries is essential to the health of the Swiss economy therefore, a strong Chf/€ makes their goods more expensive.

I don't think Fitch's downgrade will have too much effect, after Trichet's comments yesterday.

sorry all i cant hang around anymore.....wanted to end the day with a few scalpy pips but the market is not oblidging...

later
N

I leave you with Euro blasting off again.....gold never fell below 1158 so no harm done on the tag prospective buys/Traps I had in place

cheers
N

just thought I'd share the textbook fib stepping-down retracement USDJPY has taken this afternoon - lovely stuff!

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    14 KB · Views: 170
good luck to you all a si'm off now......

Till many many thanks for your coming contribution ....you know what I mean !! (y)

N

just thought I'd share the textbook fib stepping-down retracement USDJPY has taken this afternoon - lovely stuff!

nice......these pairchart thingymebobs...are they any good ? :p

teehee
N

Hello everyone,

I made a few modifications to the indicator (just usability-wise, behavior is unchanged):

- The configuration can now be seen at the top, so that screenshots are easier to intrepret.
- There is a set of colored labels that helps to identify which graph is showing which currency.
- If you hover with your mouse above one of the graphs, the tooltip will show the name of the currency.
- In the indicator settings, it is possible to turn on/off each of the graphs without memorizing the buffer index and change its color.

You can of course still change the colors as before.

NVP said it's ok to publish it. Attached is the modified source plus explanatory screenshot.

The original version, including NVP's license (licence applies to this and the old version) can still be found at http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...lation-trading-basic-ideas-strategies-64.html.

Regards,

Till

Attachments

• FXCORRELATOR.mq4
    6.8 KB · Views: 370
  • snapshot9.png
    snapshot9.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I made a few modifications to the indicator (just usability-wise, behavior is unchanged):

- The configuration can now be seen at the top, so that screenshots are easier to intrepret.
- There is a set of colored labels that helps to identify which graph is showing which currency.
- If you hover with your mouse above one of the graphs, the tooltip will show the name of the currency.
- In the indicator settings, it is possible to turn on/off each of the graphs without memorizing the buffer index and change its color.

NVP said it's ok to publish it. Attached is the modified source plus explanatory screenshot.

The original version, including NVP's license (same for this version) can still be found at http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...lation-trading-basic-ideas-strategies-64.html.

Regards,

Till

Till many thanks.... I cant load it till next week but i'm sure its working a treat (y)

can you just add in comments above that anyone downloading the software is still subject to the original terms and conditions of the Licencing agreement

and I repeat again to programming gorillas like me this is not "simple changes" !

N

Hello everyone,

The original version, including NVP's license (licence applies to this and the old version) can still be found at http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...lation-trading-basic-ideas-strategies-64.html.

Regards,

Till

thanks Till, much more user-friendly(y)

Went short CADJPY. Bit of a risky trade here because it's only based on a cross, no clear trend. Will see how that develops.

CADNZD still working it's way through the spread.

Wouldn't do the double exposure to CAD on a real account, just trying some trade ideas here.

CADJPY is retracing. Chart confirms entry, but the drawdown always creeps me out. It's hard to trade without the cold logic of an EA in the background. :)

NZDCAD going sideways and I was late in the trade, adding to the drawdown.

Only next week will show if the trades were right or not.

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Till

Hi and evening Till,

Like Gavin wrote, very well done on these mods as it saves me from coloring currencies I dont want to see same as underlying chart background - without one of my daughters around this is difficult as I'm slightly color blind, its all shades of grey to me!

I've been pulling off some data via MT4 / MS Excel interface and have discussed this with Neil in the past, so stand by for a barrage of look-see requests - have a great weekend and again thanks on behalf of everyone here for doing those mods.

Simon.

Hi and evening Till,

Like Gavin wrote, very well done on these mods as it saves me from coloring currencies I dont want to see same as underlying chart background - without one of my daughters around this is difficult as I'm slightly color blind, its all shades of grey to me!

I've been pulling off some data via MT4 / MS Excel interface and have discussed this with Neil in the past, so stand by for a barrage of look-see requests - have a great weekend and again thanks on behalf of everyone here for doing those mods.

Simon.

Hi Till.........I said you would be popular :p

N

Good evening,

next week I'll be back at work where I cannot watch my trades, so I can only comment on the various failings of my attempts at building a trading system late during the day.

I have revised the money management of my EA and am now back trading EURUSD/GBPUSD there. I think that I need to find the best solution to the "locked in" divergence problem first before I try to attack other currency pairs. I have evaluated the logs of my successful and failed trades and hope that the newer money management routines will pay off.

I also found out that it's not as easy to trade currency crosses because one needs to be careful with calculating the right position sizes. I have missed to do that for the manual trades that I opened.

Regarding the manual trades, I will see how they progress during the week to get my grasp on the corrie indicator. Too bad that I cannot watch it live during the day, as I think that watching it live will give the best learning effect.

I have made an attempt at writing a multi-currency backtesting framework, the basics are there but the dreadful work of porting my EA over (~2k LOC) is unfinished. If I ever get it done, it will probably a nice package to testdrive corrie-related strategies.

Good trading everyone,

Till

Hi Till

firstly I cannot thank you enough for your massive contributions to the thread in such a short time of being here (y)

(another 500-1000 views over the weekend :eek:)

I know you came from the much heavier forex progamming forums where these skills are more prevalent .......but over here we really appreciate talent when we see it :cool:

Pm me on any observations or questions re Forex correlation you see or want to discuss

I may not be the worlds greatest programmer (dont anyone say a word :whistling ).....but all I have ever needed was the basic corrie (and some market hybrids) to turn on that TV and let me observe how the G8 correlate to one another under certain conditions

some of these are blatantly (duh - fear/risk plays) obvious but many are much more subtle and will not be spotted in a million years on standard charts and indicators......and its called eyeball time

I am a long hours cotton picker too (do we need a union ?).....but between us all we will get there in the end ......welcome again (y)

Regards
NVP

and no I havnt write anything more down yet as tied up over weekend (car gone sob sob) and now out on business for 2 days :cry:

mornin all..........everything is flat at present....o/n relatively calm......markets need coffee !