Brexit - in or out

A chap i know a few weeks ago offered a job as a yard manager, seeing vans come in to unload, sweep up etc nothing special, in an area where most are on minimum wage, wage to start £250 a week, but it would increase, one bloke that came for an interview said he gets £240 a week to stay at home......

Jeremy Kyle n a brew, or stood in a cold yard all winter up in Cumbria.....:rolleyes:

There must be something wrong Atilla with education, training and recruitment where by we have so many unemployed yet have rely on migrant workers.

Yes I agree totally and baffles me too.

All over the place in the underground, offices and recycling and building I see migrants. I encourage anyone using Victoria, Waterloo or London Bridge to visit the toilets and count the staff who are English. What is it with cleaning that the English have an aversion to. I know from experience in the City the cleaners who turn up late in the evening or are there early in the morning are all foreign. However, if you call Facilities or Management you can be sure it's a white English body. Is it just me being prejudiced in observing these anomalies or do others share the same view.

The NHS is crying out for nurses and elderly care staff but positions are unable to be filled. LD Countries are complaining of their brain drain because people they train, end up coming to England to take on jobs here. Their young active and bright bodies come to England and / or Europe.

The word from the other side is migrant labour comes in and suppresses wages. If we go by this approach the other side of this coin is lack of competitiveness and further deterioration in UK's B of P current account.

Not to mention if you remove the foreigners having babies here, the pure British birth rate is also falling so we are looking at a similar declining birth rates.

There were 695,233 live births in England and Wales in 2014, a decrease of 0.5% from 698,512 in 2013.

In 2014, the total fertility rate (TFR) decreased to 1.83 children per woman, from 1.85 in 2013.

In 2014, the stillbirth rate remained at 4.7 per thousand total births, the same as in 2013.

The average age of mothers in 2014 increased to 30.2 years, compared with 30.0 years in 2013.

Over a quarter (27.0%) of live births in 2014 were to mothers born outside the UK; a small increase compared with 26.5% in 2013

Considering approx 11% of foreign population accound for 27% of birth rates it clearly indicates a declining birith rate for the "if we can call it that" pure British.

Effectively pure British birth rate is 1.35. This is in line with Germany's rate.

This means we are likely to have an IMPENDING, colossal PENSION and NHS crises.

People living longer with less tax revenue, rising wages and loss of competition means BIG catastrophe.

Absolutely nothing to do with EU. Numbers don't lie.

However, I'm sure some of our esteemed members will talk about fear mongering. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Stick your head in the sand syndrome if you ask me. :)

Last edited:
There must be something wrong Atilla with education, training and recruitment where by we have so many unemployed yet have rely on migrant workers.

Yes, you can't blame young people since they have been educated and brought up in a culture that encouraged "rights" and said precious little about "responsibilities".

"Claim FIS - it is your right" bellowed Marjorie Proops in ads on TV.

Years ago the responsibility to look after yourself was so ingrained that some people (wrongly) refused to go on the dole because it was charity and they wouldn't accept charity from anyone.

The culture gradually changed towards people (wrongly) deciding to take year off before finding a job and live on the dole instead.

Sonic points to an example of people preferring to live on benefit at home rather than take a job on not much more money. They seem to feel no responsibility to look after themselves and their family if they can without relying on benefit. Any benefit system will eventually crumble if people don't regard it more as a safety net than an economic choice.

10% of all nurses and 25% of all doctors in the NHS are migrants.

Elderly migrants do not travel. It's primarily the young in search of jobs. The young don't need NHS as do the elderly.

The reason for the NHS crises is an ageing population and development in science and medical care.

25% of NHS funding goes towards looking after the frail and elderly. Long term NHS at levels expected is not tenable.

Moroever, in Germany and France they spend more on health than we do.

Once again you what are the facts and what is fiction.

Without a young population pensions and NHS is doomed, especially so as nobody wants to pay any tax.

This has absolutely eff all to do with EU.

Migrants are the solution but it's like medicine but some prefer to spit out on the faces of those who are trying to help.

A little like the yobs in Birmingham who chased a junior doctor now working in London with knives and a promise of a good kicking who happens to be Indian.

Becareful what you wish for. :idea:
70 percent of the people going there are migrants too.

The working time directive bases its average working week as a 48 hr week, 48 x £7.20 ( living wage ) equates to £345.60 minimum, overtime rate may be applicable after 40 hrs..

jobseekers allowance weekly amount 2016.

18 to 24 up to £57.90
25 or over up to £73.10
Couples (both aged over 18) up to £114.85

The person sonic referred to obviously has special circumstances, tax credits etc....

The working time directive bases its average working week as a 48 hr week, 48 x £7.20 ( living wage ) equates to £345.60 minimum, overtime rate may be applicable after 40 hrs..

jobseekers allowance weekly amount 2016.

18 to 24 up to £57.90
25 or over up to £73.10
Couples (both aged over 18) up to £114.85

The person sonic referred to obviously has special circumstances, tax credits etc....

Wondering how many kids he has? Probably housing benefit and other stuff too.

Quote from the Spectator brexit debate...

" Every continent in the world over the last ten years has seen economic growth apart from Europe and Antarctica..." :LOL:

Why on earth do we continually feel the need to tie ourselves to this failing economy ?

Just listen to Daniel Hannen below from about 31.17..

Last edited:
Quote from the Spectator brexit debate...

" Every continent in the world over the last ten years has seen economic growth apart from Europe and Antarctica..." :LOL:

Why on earth do we continually feel the need to tie ourselves to this failing economy ?

Just listen to Daniel Hannen below from about 31.17..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_continents_by_GDP_(nominal)

Liar liar pants on fire...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_continents_by_GDP_(nominal)

Trust no one mon ami ;)

Last edited:
The giants like Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. are pouring billions into AI systems that will make the average human redundant.
Just what are all those people going to do for a job ?

The giants like Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. are pouring billions into AI systems that will make the average human redundant.
Just what are all those people going to do for a job ?

Become MEP's and create legislation that allows these giants to have more control over government and avoid paying even more tax ?

Have you noticed Cornish and Somerset Brie tastes better than the French Brie. We are not lagging in everything then.
We can do it better.

Interesting debate for both sides...

Also watched the Paxman on iplayer. All very interesting and have to listen carefully what is said and proposed.

Crux of the matter here is EU has been an ultimate success. I think anyone who says otherwise is talking utter nonsense. That's for starters. Non debatable imho.

However, it is changing and evolving. I concur a GREAT DEAL with what is said about accountability, sovereignty and regulation. The system needs change. There are some real challenges.

But walking away from them is NOT the answer. We work inside with our partners to achieve it. Not by being outside snipping and moaning about them.

KEY issue is single currency. Yes has benefits but without FISCAL union, it's at the mercy of PIGS who'll not have the discipline or efficiency or honesty and in tegrity of the Germans.

With fiscal union there comes taxation and real politics of money exchanging hands. This further POLITICAL union coupled with what has been much objected to is bringing the EU to new challenges and possible breaking point.

NUTS of the matter, EU will not break. Some countries will but not the EU. So whilst some (the weak) drop out, the strong like Germany, Holland, France and Benulux countries will unite.

I thought the Paxman show towards the end showed the achievements and vision of the young quite well.

With respect to the Bloomberg show, I thought Lawson and Lamont big hitters from the past who both really damaged UK economy by their actions and decisions were brash and abrupt againts Levy and the Italian commissioner. I thought Fairbrain talked much sense but being the only lady didn't say much but spoke well.

Fact that two Europeans who couldn't speak very fluently and spoke least did well to Lawsons 'nonsense' interruptions.

Anyone who listens Lawson in defence of Levy telling him the UK does not acknowledge the benefits it has received from EU went on to recount how it wasn't just an Island etc etc getting a little annoyed mentioned membership of many other bodies (paradoxically imo).

He mentioned, NATO, Security Council, the Commonwealth and India! Isn't this strange way to talk up standing of Britain whilst belitting benefits it has received from the EU. Old age catching up with him I reckon.

Anyhow, the Commonwealth outside of India doesn't include Russia, Brazil or China. Indians not easy to deal with these days either as they are demanding like Europe that if you want to sell in their market you need to ensure certain percentage of goods or value added business originates in India. How strange they apply same rules and regulations as EU does when conducting international business.

Anyhow, yes EU needs reform but leaving and walking away turning our backs on 40% of our trade is not the answer.

Lamont also went along the lines the trade will continue as before but one could see EU simmering with objections from other states who will VETO agreements that may be advantages to UK. So there is going to be much changes and uncertainty which is simply not on any ones radar.

I have visions of the Titanic playing out again. Titanic the great luxury liner, doing perfectly well, sailing across the Atlantic. In their damn greed and desire to be the best essentially to knock the Germans in to second spot, they ignore all warnings and head straight into an iceberg that sinks the boat.

Still struggling to comprehend all the rubbish about sovereignty. I do like Parliament but do not see us relinquishing control. It's more about system and administration of Government.

Why do I feel that if we leave, that I (personally) will in fact lose freedoms that I now have in Europe?

Either way hoping and wishing for the best (y)

Last edited:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-sarkozy-idUKKCN0Y81AF

I apologise if this link has already been posted. I saw it this afternoon and thought that I would pass it on.

I think other nations like North European and the Dutch recognise our value without a doubt.

Life in EU suits the Germans right now and I feel we have a great chance to be in there and correct the failings and with the Dutch and French make some head way.

Not as fringe moaners at the periphery but active member participants in the centre and eye of the storm. An opportunity for reform.

That Italian commissioner Mario Monti in the Bloomberg video clip suggested adopting the English as the common language of EU should it leave as then there will be no bias. How grand and fantastic would that be??? :D

Anyhow, yes EU needs reform but leaving and walking away turning our backs on 40% of our trade is not the answer.

Leaving and walking away is exactly the answer...Its like any bad trade, if its not working then cut your losses and get out, don't sit and watch the situation get even worse then wish you had done something earlier..

EU have no interest in reform, and even less interest if a remain in vote wins..

We can and will flourish, once were out... you'll see :clap:

Leaving and walking away is exactly the answer...Its like any bad trade, if its not working then cut your losses and get out, don't sit and watch the situation get even worse then wish you had done something earlier..

EU have no interest in reform, and even less interest if a remain in vote wins..

We can and will flourish, once were out... you'll see :clap:

Trying the usual cost benefit, pro & cons and swot stuff but have doubt in my head. When in doubt (long standing principal) don't do.

Feel benefits outweigh costs. Risks in staying in, let's call it the devil we know is better than risks outside. Benefits of stepping out not outlined or quantified.

Much talk of sovereignty and perhaps if the UK was under attack might mean something but it's all optional by choice and no coersion involved.

Having said that I can see how us leaving may send a thunder bolt to the EU to make them pay attention.

Once again on your Bloomberg clip Moulton said us leaving (also what Boris said) may wake the EU up in making a counter offer within the two years to make us stay with promise of reform or better deal. Nice to have I think he called it.

Risky hand to play. Almost like poker calling bluffs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree, but they must realize that it is no bluff..if we vote out then we must be prepared to throw everything at it to make it work, This is not a protest vote to bring them to the table. It will have to be a pretty damn good deal in order to re-enter. It wont happen.

With reference to the brexit debate, Im not a fan of Lamont nor Lawson, but they surprised me with their logic and put a very good case forward, Much stronger than the remain side, I think that you hear what you want to hear depending on which side your bias towards.

I agree, but they must realize that it is no bluff..if we vote out then we must be prepared to throw everything at it to make it work, This is not a protest vote to bring them to the table. It will have to be a pretty damn good deal in order to re-enter. It wont happen.

With reference to the brexit debate, Im not a fan of Lamont nor Lawson, but they surprised me with their logic and put a very good case forward, Much stronger than the remain side, I think that you hear what you want to hear depending on which side your bias towards.

Of course its a bluff. If it wasn't a bluff, there wouldn't need to be a referendum, we'd just do it.