Brexit and the Consequences

Partially agree.

Fall in pound is not good. Brexiters may like to talk up exports will do better but on the other side, on the quiet side, foreign companies have been buying out British ones on the cheap.

ARM purchase by the Japanese is just one example. There is a myriad of others being bought out as A&M activity is on the increase and likely to continue as pound falls in consequence to hard Brexit.

In a nutshell foreign companies taking advantage of the 15-20% fall in the pound to buy out British companies.

This is not foreign investment it is a transfer of earning power, brand names and patents going on the cheap. You can be sure jobs will follow in due course to other destinations.

Beware, be prepared and follow due dilligence and do your homework. Hope and Glory, Ambitious and Optimistic politicians can't see sh1t but their names in history books for taking UK out of the EU without any plans or proper analysis.

I do agree, it will take years for any consequences to come through. BUT the signs eg: falling pound and British companies being bought out is not good imho.

The past (the US) is prologue to the future (the UK).

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/nfu-issues-warning-potential-labour-shortage.htm

Fruit and veg crops will be left rotting in the ground next harvest unless action is taken to deal with the migrant labour shortage in the UK, according to NFU deputy president Minette Batters.

Ms Batters issued the chilling warning as she delivered her verdict on the labour shortage facing the agricultural industry, especially its horticulture sector.

Speaking at a Westminster Food and Nutrition forum on Thursday (1 December), Ms Batters said the horticulture sector employs 85,000 seasonal workers – people coming from Europe on work permits mainly for the UK harvest period.

See also: Migrant farmworkers shun UK as sterling tumbles

But by 2020, the NFU has predicted, demand for seasonal workers needed to pick the UK’s fruit and veg crops – such as strawberries, asparagus and flowers – will rise to 95,000.

Following the abolition of the Seasonal Agricultural Workers’ Scheme (Saws), almost half of UK fruit and veg companies reported difficulties attracting workers last year, according to an NFU survey.

The uncertainty following the EU referendum vote for Brexit was making EU workers feeling less welcome, and the drop in the value of sterling meant workers coming here were earning less money.

‘Red alert’ on labour
Ms Batters said: “This is absolutely on red alert. This sector is in shock. Unless we can sort it out, we will have British fruit and veg rotting in the fields next year.”

The NFU is calling on the government to replace Saws with a visa-based global seasonal agricultural workers’ scheme. “We are asking government for a global, seasonal agricultural workers scheme in order to replace the shortfall out of Europe,” Ms Batters said.

She added that fruit and veg production had witnessed a “huge success story” in the UK and consumers now took it for granted that they would have an abundant supply of home-produced food.

It is a “fantastic achievement” that the strawberry growing season in the UK now stretches from March to November, she said.

“Even if we hadn’t had a referendum, we would still be going to government saying there are not enough people wanting to come to the UK to pick our crops.”

Single market access
On trade, Ms Batters said it was vital for UK agriculture that it continues to have full, unrestricted access to the EU single market after the country leaves the European Union.

Otherwise, World Trade Organization (WTO) rules would have to apply to our agriculture sector, which would mean that UK exports would be subject to import tariffs when entering the EU.

“That means our lamb exports will be trading with a 51% tariff,” Ms Batters said. “That will price British lamb out of the marketplace.”

Earlier this week, more than 70 agri-food companies signed a letter to the prime minister, explaining that tariff-free access to the single market and access to overseas labour were vital for UK food and farming to flourish post-Brexit.

The UK food and drink sector employs 3.9 million people and is worth £108bn to the economy each year.

Unfortunately, that's the sort of thing you get from the BBC who are funded by all of us but have an agenda of their own – and tough if it doesn't suit you.

To use your quote on the BBC for my own purpose. I have no objection to the likes of the Stephan Nolan show on 5Live, Saturday night.

A good insight into what happens if you become sick in th UK. To hell with Sherlock, you people have to get serious! The breaking up of the NHS is what you should all be worried about--not the breakup of the EU.

London Transport staff striking because they object to ticket machines? You guys do, really, live in a world of your own.

Speaking of Liberal Elite, writers for TV shows are usually very liberal. Did anyone watch the first episode of the fourth "series" of Sherlock Holmes - The Six Thatchers?

Apparently, they really don't like Margaret Thatcher. A bust of her face was thrown down on the ground and smashed to bits six times. Added to that, Sherlock pretended like he couldn't remember whether or not she was a "she". That was a massive jab by the writers--an homage to the nickname "Iron Lady". Sherlock also did not say her name correctly through the entire episode. :LOL:

Writers pushing their political agendas. :rolleyes:

I don't really see a problem with writers pushing political or social views. Would you roll your eyes at the likes of George Orwell and Ayn Rand too? Or is it just because it's on TV?

Partially agree.

Fall in pound is not good. Brexiters may like to talk up exports will do better but on the other side, on the quiet side, foreign companies have been buying out British ones on the cheap.

ARM purchase by the Japanese is just one example. There is a myriad of others being bought out as A&M activity is on the increase and likely to continue as pound falls in consequence to hard Brexit.

In a nutshell foreign companies taking advantage of the 15-20% fall in the pound to buy out British companies.

This is not foreign investment it is a transfer of earning power, brand names and patents going on the cheap. You can be sure jobs will follow in due course to other destinations.

Beware, be prepared and follow due dilligence and do your homework. Hope and Glory, Ambitious and Optimistic politicians can't see sh1t but their names in history books for taking UK out of the EU without any plans or proper analysis.

I do agree, it will take years for any consequences to come through. BUT the signs eg: falling pound and British companies being bought out is not good imho.

This is one of the few things Trump has got right trying to keep the best companies intact for jobs etc. I see Arm Holdings was flogged off for £12billion. No doubt the City hyenas did alright out of that. Our feeble politicians just refuse to see how vital Britain isn't just left with the 2nd rate companies that aren't worth buying out by foreigners. Grand old companies like Cadburys, Boots, Land Rover, steel. etc were all worth preserving. Stroppy Unions didn't exactly help and management's attitude of making a quick buck was indefensible. Post Brexit it is going to be tough to compete with what's left.

Partially agree.

There are pros and cons for the nation for the fall in the pound. For the wealthy individual with a lot of sterling, they have effectively lost 10-20% of their wealth.

So Brexit for them has already been pretty disastrous and we don't need to wait 2 years or 5 years or post about whether project fear was right or not. Why is nobody who is pro brexit posting about this loss? Do they believe GBP is sure to recover or do they just not care about this loss?

It is scandalous Britain is giving away £12 billion a year to foreigners when there isn't enough money to fix the potholes in the roads or the NHS. About time the do-gooders got the sack. I was listening to some well meaning air head on the radio how proud we should be when a lot of it is syphoned off by criminals and fraudsters. Apparently the Pakistani army gets a huge amount of their national budget and we have to pick up the bill for their social/medical care etc.

Last edited:
There are pros and cons for the nation for the fall in the pound. For the wealthy individual with a lot of sterling, they have effectively lost 10-20% of their wealth.

So Brexit for them has already been pretty disastrous and we don't need to wait 2 years or 5 years or post about whether project fear was right or not. Why is nobody who is pro brexit posting about this loss? Do they believe GBP is sure to recover or do they just not care about this loss?

It's a fundamental reorganisation where there will be winners and losers. In situations like this it has never been any different.

As for the GBP, it's a widely held view that it was over valued in the run up to the Brexit vote, so some of the correction was likely in any event and we have also corrected back from the low (over reaction). Perhaps the 120 - 130 range is the correct level, who knows !

To use your quote on the BBC for my own purpose. I have no objection to the likes of the Stephan Nolan show on 5Live, Saturday night.

A good insight into what happens if you become sick in th UK. To hell with Sherlock, you people have to get serious! The breaking up of the NHS is what you should all be worried about--not the breakup of the EU.

London Transport staff striking because they object to ticket machines? You guys do, really, live in a world of your own.

The NHS is suffering from over use, not just from our own, but from health tourism. The health tourism is a particular problem because some of the recipients abscond after treatment without paying the bill. So the tax payer is left with a choice of paying in more, or services get rationed for everyone. Not only does it have to cope with essential use, but also any number of vanity surgeries and treatments, which have nothing to do with anyone's basic well being.
I'll give you an example. A couple might want IVF treatment because they waited till they were in their 40's before trying for a family. Should IVF be offered as a free service because people were too pre-occupied with themselves and their careers in their earlier years?

I've no idea why everyone is having such difficulty with what Brexit means.

As I've been saying for months, Brexit means we are leaving the EU and it's ridiculous misguided direction of travel.
T May is very clear what it means. Brexit means Brexit! A number of others seems muddled as to what it means. :LOL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38546820

If hard Brexit occurs then parity with the dollar is not out of the question imo.

Value of the pound is what it is, determined by the market. To suggest it was over valued is fallacy unless it was pegged or manipulated. The pound is not a controlled currency.

BoE primary target and objective is to control inflation currently set at 2%.

Remember Financial Times was also bought out my Japan's Nikkei (£1.3bn in 2015). Only if they waited for the Brexit vote.

Duetsche Boerse also would like to merge with LSE. (I hope you can all smell where that's going https://welcometofrm.com/ )

The other side of the coin is for UK companies wanting to buy talent from the outside is increasing. It's not just football players who want more millions to play in the UK but farm labourers too. I'm sure they felt well stitched up for losing upto a 20% of their hard earnt income. More importantly British companies will have to pay a lot more to buy other foreign companies. So the boot is clearly on the wrong foot from my perspective.

Think about what's going to happen this year with fruit picking labourers??? Why should they come back knowing article 50 will hit the pound again. What should the farmers do this year? What will happen to food prices?

Shed storm coming our way. Feck the facts. Things can only get better. Let's be optimistic.

Brexiter numpties continue with your self adulation. :eek:

The NHS is suffering from over use, not just from our own, but from health tourism. The health tourism is a particular problem because some of the recipients abscond after treatment without paying the bill. So the tax payer is left with a choice of paying in more, or services get rationed for everyone. Not only does it have to cope with essential use, but also any number of vanity surgeries and treatments, which have nothing to do with anyone's basic well being.
I'll give you an example. A couple might want IVF treatment because they waited till they were in their 40's before trying for a family. Should IVF be offered as a free service because people were too pre-occupied with themselves and their careers in their earlier years?

Partially agree with you here.

1. Health tourism costs about 500m. NHS budget 116 bn. This can be quickly stopped however, by introducing ID cards or demanding NI numbers. Simple.

2. IVF and non life threatening treatment should be dispensed with along with transgender sex changes.

3. I'd also go as far as having some kind of basic payment or a quota per individual per life time. If one wishes to smoke and drink and live on the wild side, they should compensate the NHS.

4. I'd allow euthanasia making it legal, instead of prolonging suffering too.

If hard Brexit occurs then parity with the dollar is not out of the question imo.

Value of the pound is what it is, determined by the market. To suggest it was over valued is fallacy unless it was pegged or manipulated. The pound is not a controlled currency.

BoE primary target and objective is to control inflation currently set at 2%.

Remember Financial Times was also bought out my Japan's Nikkei (£1.3bn in 2015). Only if they waited for the Brexit vote.

Duetsche Boerse also would like to merge with LSE. (I hope you can all smell where that's going https://welcometofrm.com/ )

The other side of the coin is for UK companies wanting to buy talent from the outside is increasing. It's not just football players who want more millions to play in the UK but farm labourers too. I'm sure they felt well stitched up for losing upto a 20% of their hard earnt income. More importantly British companies will have to pay a lot more to buy other foreign companies. So the boot is clearly on the wrong foot from my perspective.

Think about what's going to happen this year with fruit picking labourers??? Why should they come back knowing article 50 will hit the pound again. What should the farmers do this year? What will happen to food prices?

Shed storm coming our way. Feck the facts. Things can only get better. Let's be optimistic.

Brexiter numpties continue with your self adulation. :eek:

I think the Euro will be @ parity way sooner than the GBP, but obviously, you don't want to talk about that ! :LOL:

All the economists got it wrong about Brexit, they got it wrong about Trump, and they will be wrong on Europe too. They seem to have no idea, and to think, these are the very people that govt's rely on to set policy! What chance have we got when all these bloody experts keep getting everything wrong !

You can also put the sub prime fiasco on the list of wrongness.
Go and watch "the big short", as a classic example of how all these bloody experts and people in authority continually overlook and worse, cover up the facts, and gloss over the true picture.

The reason for all this wrongness is simple. They all feed off each other and their assessments are always in alignment with each other. Nobody want's to go out on a limb, because they might look a bit stupid standing out from the crowd of experts.

I think the Euro will be @ parity way sooner than the GBP, but obviously, you don't want to talk about that ! :LOL:

All the economists got it wrong about Brexit, they got it wrong about Trump, and they will be wrong on Europe too. They seem to have no idea, and to think, these are the very people that govt's rely on to set policy! What chance have we got when all these bloody experts keep getting everything wrong !

You can also put the sub prime fiasco on the list of wrongness.
Go and watch "the big short", as a classic example of how all these bloody experts and people in authority continually overlook and worse, cover up the facts, and gloss over the true picture.

The reason for all this wrongness is simple. They all feed off each other and their assessments are always in alignment with each other. Nobody want's to go out on a limb, because they might look a bit stupid standing out from the crowd of experts.

Yes the EU has problems as well as the US and UK.

Brexit is not a solution. I don't much care whether the Euro succeeds or not. Would prefer if it did. It could be an opportunity for the UK to profit from other nations demise being associated with the EU.

UK is not in the Euro thus outside of the ECB funding default.

However, by the same coin, as with any business, does well if their customers and suppliers do well. UK's greater interest lies with strong US and EU. Hence, their demise also carries risks for UK.

Sadly, none of our politicians or nation, acknowledging these risks.

Blaming the EU for our troubles is also very wrong. ie:

- aging population
- rising tax burden
- rising debt
- under investment in infrastructure on; railways, NHS, telecommunications, airports, schools and technology, utilities, energy, manufacturing

Much to the disagreement of the leavers argument, migrant population has been a solution to many of our issues and growth of GDP.

People can continue to cover their ears and live in lala land for now. (y)

Yes the EU has problems as well as the US and UK.

Brexit is not a solution. I don't much care whether the Euro succeeds or not. Would prefer if it did. It could be an opportunity for the UK to profit from other nations demise being associated with the EU.

UK is not in the Euro thus outside of the ECB funding default.

However, by the same coin, as with any business, does well if their customers and suppliers do well. UK's greater interest lies with strong US and EU. Hence, their demise also carries risks for UK.

Sadly, none of our politicians or nation, acknowledging these risks.

Blaming the EU for our troubles is also very wrong. ie:

- aging population
- rising tax burden
- rising debt
- under investment in infrastructure on; railways, NHS, telecommunications, airports, schools and technology, utilities, energy, manufacturing

Much to the disagreement of the leavers argument, migrant population has been a solution to many of our issues and growth of GDP.

People can continue to cover their ears and live in lala land for now. (y)

I don’t believe it’s a question of blaming the EU for any of our troubles: we decided to join and must therefore accept the consequences until we decide to do something about it ie. Brexit. It’s a mistake to think that Brexit per se will cure troubles. But through Brexit we can transfer democracy back to the UK and have the ability to decide through elected representatives how we run our country. This is a fundamental difference to the current system.

I am hopeful that we will retain/reintroduce all the good things from the EU and leave out the fundamental weaknesses which I think will lead to its eventual demise. In my opinion, democracy trumps all else. We had a Civil War over that didn’t we!

I don't really see a problem with writers pushing political or social views. Would you roll your eyes at the likes of George Orwell and Ayn Rand too? Or is it just because it's on TV?

I don't have a problem with that either! But when I read George Orwell I'm not legally obliged to pay a fee to another publisher. That's what happens when I listen to Sky News.

I don’t believe it’s a question of blaming the EU for any of our troubles: we decided to join and must therefore accept the consequences until we decide to do something about it ie. Brexit. It’s a mistake to think that Brexit per se will cure troubles. But through Brexit we can transfer democracy back to the UK and have the ability to decide through elected representatives how we run our country. This is a fundamental difference to the current system.

I am hopeful that we will retain/reintroduce all the good things from the EU and leave out the fundamental weaknesses which I think will lead to its eventual demise. In my opinion, democracy trumps all else. We had a Civil War over that didn’t we!

Well yes there is always that and ultimately it boils down to what one perceives as a feature or a benefit.

I think any US, UK or EU citizen can easilly live in any other country and be just as well at home irrespective of any administration. Approximately, 2.5+m Brits have already elected to do so.

The very man who trumpets this, Nigel Lawson, chooses to live in France. But lets say he is an exception.

Fact of the matter is we have voted in favour of 94% of all laws and rules and regulations in the EU and instigated good many of them 80% when it comes to food and farming. The 6% is simply getting along but even there, where we may have disagreed, we have benefited by having cleaner beaches and better environmental support and oversight.

One can't please everyone all the time but 94% is a pretty good number. You've probably heard of the Great Repeal Bill...

The historic proposal aims to end the European Union's legal supremacy in the UK by converting all EU requirements into British law as soon as Britain exits the bloc.

In fact the cabinet thinks this line in bold will show EU we are still with them and reason why they should give us FULL FREE access to the SINGLE MARKET.

wrt War, I do feel the US, UK and EU will go to war not against each other but to fight opposing factions in alliance. So for the old guard to talk about the US adn UK saving the EU is much old talk and one wonders what can possibly be going on in their minds if one ever thinks the UK, France or Germany will ever be on opposing side of any war. :whistling

Sovereignty is much ado about nothing. EU is a club we contribute to be a member of and it does have a democratic representation based on population size. People on the out camp choose to ignore it.

Then there is article 50, which any member can invoke anytime. So it's all voluntary. Based on some rumours it seems Brexit is bringing the EU ever closer together.

So this talk of sovereignty, what real benefit does it provide, that one does not have now?