Brexit and the Consequences

Am I imagining it but it looks to me that food prices have gone up in the local supermarkets ?

Putting prices up isn't the only game in town. Manufacturers continually bugger about with portion sizes, less for more.

Only way to win is to shop around. Buy none perishables in bulk when discounted. Don't ignore the up and coming supermarkets, terrific quality and at a price far below our main supermarkets.

Putting prices up isn't the only game in town. Manufacturers continually bugger about with portion sizes, less for more.

Only way to win is to shop around. Buy none perishables in bulk when discounted. Don't ignore the up and coming supermarkets, terrific quality and at a price far below our main supermarkets.

Good advice. I have Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Lidl and Aldi all next door to each other and just pick what is best from each. Surprisingly (?) price is not always the best guide to quality!

Yes very true and agree with CV which seems very odd. :)

Just came back from shopping with me dear mum. Sainsbury's at South Woodford have narrow spaces between check out tills. Some big mamma big ar5e instead of standing in front or behind trolley insisted on standing beside it thus blocking off the adjacent check out queue. I merely said excuse me to identify other people in the queue and she begrudgingly shuffled. Later gave me a good shove with her rear as she went off. Said sorry but I'm sure it was deliberate.

Prices definitely higher. Small contents, and most things around £1, £1.50 or £2 mark but sure add up. Lidl prices are in pennies like 58, 64 and so forth. Check it out. Lidl don't round up to 95 or 99p as much as the bigger stores. Beware, a lot of rounding up is going on.

I stay away from the the big stores but mum thinks they are better quality and sell safe food... I've learnt not to argue with mum. She pointed to Waitrose which is pretty much next door and I told her she must never go in there as they are for very rich millionaires, which she is not on her pension. :cheesy:

Very true. And you could say pretty much the same for government. Taxes go up, or government delivers less for the same tax.

I wish for both goods and government/council we could see exactly who/what the money goes to. At least with goods you have more of say where it goes to.

John Redwood

Even knowing that Redwood is a hard-line Brexiteer, I agree with his comments below:

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

"Giving the cold shoulder to the Prime Minister was juvenile. Refusing to reassure all EU citizens living in each other’s countries that they can stay after Brexit was morally repulsive.

I assume even the EU would not stoop so low as to demand the departure of UK citizens from othe EU countries once we leave. It would be against decency,morality and probably international law. So why don’t they just say so? Their refusal shows the PM was wise not to assume they would.

The UK has made clear it is happy for all legally settled EU migrants in the UK to stay. So why can’t the others say the same about British migrants?

At the same time, why can’t the rest of the EU reassure business that they have no wish to damage their trade with us?Again they put their own institution above the needs and wishes of businesses, employees and customers around their Union.

It certainly strengthens the case for leaving. These people clearly do not want the best for their citizens. They use them as pawns in their macabre political game. I thought the EU’s idea was to take our money in order to give us some service. Once again it looks as if the opposite is true."​

Even knowing that Redwood is a hard-line Brexiteer, I agree with his comments below:

"Giving the cold shoulder to the Prime Minister was juvenile. Refusing to reassure all EU citizens living in each other’s countries that they can stay after Brexit was morally repulsive.

I assume even the EU would not stoop so low as to demand the departure of UK citizens from othe EU countries once we leave. It would be against decency,morality and probably international law. So why don’t they just say so? Their refusal shows the PM was wise not to assume they would.

The UK has made clear it is happy for all legally settled EU migrants in the UK to stay. So why can’t the others say the same about British migrants?

At the same time, why can’t the rest of the EU reassure business that they have no wish to damage their trade with us?Again they put their own institution above the needs and wishes of businesses, employees and customers around their Union.

It certainly strengthens the case for leaving. These people clearly do not want the best for their citizens. They use them as pawns in their macabre political game. I thought the EU’s idea was to take our money in order to give us some service. Once again it looks as if the opposite is true."​

Yes, One can only hope that May is learning some lessons from all this. She better go over the Maggie speeches from yesteryear, they might come in handy. No No No !

There is more of us in Europe than Europeans living in UK?

We send them our pensioners and they send us their young able folk!

It's just another bargaining chip.

I mentioned this before about playing stupid poker games.

We are not going to tell you our position but we would like you to start negotiating with us on our Brexit deal and post Brexit agreement please. We think you should do this because you the EU have more to lose than us the UK. I think EU is quite entitled to their bargaining position and showing us out the door. They'll benefit I reckon as loss of our benefits exceeding 9bn, now becoming clear to the likes of Davies and others.

People like Redwood only crank it up. What he says is right but same old story. Provoke the beast and then cry about some minor scratches.

There was a good write up in the Guardian the other day on how the Brexiters are so angry. If it goes all tits up, they've got them selves covered. It'll be a case of well they did everything to make us fail and they succeeded.

Last edited:
There is more of us in Europe than Europeans living in UK?

We send them our pensioners and they send us their young able folk!

It's just another bargaining chip.

I mentioned this before about playing stupid poker games.

We are not going to tell you our position but we would like you to start negotiating with us on our Brexit deal and post Brexit agreement please. We think you should do this because you the EU have more to lose than us the UK. I think EU is quite entitled to their bargaining position and showing us out the door. They'll benefit I reckon as is loss of our benefits exceeding 9bn now becoming clear to the likes of Davies and others.

People like Redwood only crank it up. What he says is right but same old story. Provoke the beast and then cry about some minor scratches.

There was a good write up in the Guardian the other day on how the Brexiters are so angry. If it goes all tits up, they've got them selves covered. It'll be a case of well they did everything to make us fail and they succeeded.

It's a bit of phoney war at the moment isn't it? Should have triggered article 50 on June 24 – could have saved a whole load of messing around?

Yes, One can only hope that May is learning some lessons from all this. She better go over the Maggie speeches from yesteryear, they might come in handy. No No No !

Theresa please say,
Call me "Maggie May"

One of the greatest songs of my life time.

It's a bit of phoney war at the moment isn't it? Should have triggered article 50 on June 24 – could have saved a whole load of messing around?

Not a phoney war at all. A very real HUGE impact pending UK brexit decision. Biggest strategy and direction shifting change since WWII and you suggest let's get on with it. No plan, no strategy, no prep, no vision, no future. Just hype and glory boys full hollow words.

Europe wishes UK would . UK approach now looking like a bunch of clowns talking tosh. Keep talking hard whilst softening position. EU hardening position to the contrary.

Why do you think that is?

fwiw my pov - people in the know can see and smell the writing on the wall. UK public being sold a crock of sh1t full of non-deliverables.

:(

Yeah just look at that Lagarde business, now there's a crock of sh1t if I ever I smelt one. Maybe that should be an EU crook of sh1t.

Not a phoney war at all. A very real HUGE impact pending UK brexit decision. Biggest strategy and direction shifting change since WWII and you suggest let's get on with it. No plan, no strategy, no prep, no vision, no future. Just hype and glory boys full hollow words.

Europe wishes UK would . UK approach now looking like a bunch of clowns talking tosh. Keep talking hard whilst softening position. EU hardening position to the contrary.

Why do you think that is?

fwiw my pov - people in the know can see and smell the writing on the wall. UK public being sold a crock of sh1t full of non-deliverables.

:(

I'd rather be the UK than the EU. If you think things are bad here, just wait and see what happens over there in 2017.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...raffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain

The stories and the evidence are just too numerous to list, but here is another example.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...howbiz+(Daily+Express+::+News+/+Showbiz+Feed)

No shortage of remoanians talking everything down though. Praps they should do us all a favour and emigrate. Will help with the migration numbers too.

Last edited:
Civil Servants like our army are the best in the World. When they speak, we should listen.

Have been trying to explain that likes of simpleton Gove have no clue calling for a simple Brexit what's involved or the costs.

The head of the labor union representing senior U.K. civil servants criticized Prime Minister Theresa May for not acknowledging the “complexity” of Brexit, according to the Guardian newspaper.

“The politics around Brexit are the biggest risk to Brexit,” FDA General Secretary Dave Penman was cited as saying by the Guardian on Wednesday. “Ministers lack the political courage to admit how complex and time-consuming this will be.”

The latest critique of the government’s approach to leaving the European Union adds to concerns that the U.K. has not put in place the resources to deal with such a large task. A report by the Institute for Government published earlier this month said the civil service has been left bereft of “money, staff and information.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oach-slammed-by-leader-of-civil-service-union

Last edited:
Civil Servants like our army is the best in the World. When they speak, we should listen.

Have been trying to explain that likes of simpleton Gove have no clue calling for a simple Brexit what's involved or the costs.

The head of the labor union representing senior U.K. civil servants criticized Prime Minister Theresa May for not acknowledging the “complexity” of Brexit, according to the Guardian newspaper.

“The politics around Brexit are the biggest risk to Brexit,” FDA General Secretary Dave Penman was cited as saying by the Guardian on Wednesday. “Ministers lack the political courage to admit how complex and time-consuming this will be.”

The latest critique of the government’s approach to leaving the European Union adds to concerns that the U.K. has not put in place the resources to deal with such a large task. A report by the Institute for Government published earlier this month said the civil service has been left bereft of “money, staff and information.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oach-slammed-by-leader-of-civil-service-union

That's excellent news, well done May ! The less talking heads involved in the process the better, especially if they are experts.

Last edited: