Brexit and the Consequences

If the UK falls for that one ............ :LOL:

The attitude of the EU rather reminds me of how some car salesmen treat customers of whom they have decided there is a lack of brain cells.

yes with PM being unwelcome at the dinner this evening!!! petty childish games. As if they are really going to discuss terms of negotiation while munching lobster and toasting french wine

I was dismayed when the Referendum decision was leave.

But the worst thing we can do now is appear indecisive going into tough negotiations. Britain out!

While we wait for something to happen, some of the experts are admitting they were wrong over Brexit and that the plebs got it right. :)

The worst aspect of this is not that he now admits that he was wrong – it takes a big man to do that especially when you are a professor of history at a leading American University, but by his own admission he did it to keep his preferred politicians in power. It's even worse because he is (was?) a well respected historian whose stock in trade is to examine the facts and background and come to a reasoned conclusion. By his own admission he didn't do this and it devalues his professional standing. Of course, historians often have political sympathies and wouldn't dream of letting that create a bias in their writings :LOL:

looking forward to a similar speech from Atilla when he concedes.... :whistling :LOL:

This is very premature Mikey, we are not out yet and the results will not be in for a good many years.

If you want to benchmark some KPI what might they be so we are all on the same page?

We were 7/8th on the global GDP league table back in 1975 and now we are 5th.

I don't see this as some kind of competition, it's where the interests of the UK are best served. How will we judge?

This is very premature Mikey, we are not out yet and the results will not be in for a good many years.

Yes, i can see the eurocrats making it as difficult as possible for us to leave, But lets not forget they have their own country's interests to serve too, They need us to buy off them....So how do they let us have a free trade agreement without "loosing face"

They also need to send a signal to deter other country's from leaving, Tough negotiations ahead no doubt....but were British...stiff upper lip and all that...we will continue to prosper and grow in the coming years...:smart:

Yes, i can see the eurocrats making it as difficult as possible for us to leave, But lets not forget they have their own country's interests to serve too, They need us to buy off them....So how do they let us have a free trade agreement without "loosing face"

They also need to send a signal to deter other country's from leaving, Tough negotiations ahead no doubt....but were British...stiff upper lip and all that...we will continue to prosper and grow in the coming years...:smart:

That's all very well but what is the criteria where the interests of the country are served best?

Inflation, unemployement, output, per capita income, GDP and so forth.

How will you be able to objectively determine if leaving the EU turns out to be better or worse.

What will be the Key Performance Indicators to judge by?

That's all very well but what is the criteria where the interests of the country are served best?

Inflation, unemployement, output, per capita income, GDP and so forth.

How will you be able to objectively determine if leaving the EU turns out to be better or worse.

Well me ol china.

You are the one who thinks the UK's success after the 70's was down to being a peripheral member of the EU club, when it is patently obvious that it was Thatcher's reform process that mended the UK economy.

So, how can you talk about how to measure performance, when your fundamental premise is flawed?

The EU is failed. The smart people knew this day would arrive. Thankfully, we had just enough smart politicians around at the time, who kept us out of full membership.

And finally. If we were outside the EU now, would we as a country be looking to join this dysfunctional club? That is the question. If your answer to the question is no, then your argument about staying in completely falls apart. :)

Well me ol china.

You are the one who thinks the UK's success after the 70's was down to being a peripheral member of the EU club, when it is patently obvious that it was Thatcher's reform process that mended the UK economy.

So, how can you talk about how to measure performance, when your fundamental premise is flawed?

The EU is failed. The smart people knew this day would arrive. Thankfully, we had just enough smart politicians around at the time, who kept us out of full membership.

And finally. If we were outside the EU now, would we as a country be looking to join this dysfunctional club? That is the question. If your answer to the question is no, then your argument about staying in completely falls apart. :)

That last paragraph is true. The EU is not an attractive proposition, at this stage, for any wealthy, or potentially wealthy, country. Leaving, though? The whole matter is a wait and see proposition.

This question of the 50 billion because of UK commitments until 2020. I can understand the validity of that, until the exit time which, if on time will be 2019 but would it be that much? How much is the UK paying, now?

One of them will obviously have to be the amount of migration from EU members, if this is not reduced then Brexit will have failed one of the KPIs demanded by the British people.

Last edited:
Well me ol china.

Thatcher destroyed UK manufacturing base and layed the foundations to UK City of London's banking crises by following the US with the big bang deregulation / self regulation of the too big to fail banks.

Privatisation really hasn't produced the benefits claimed at the outset and both telecommunications and rail network facing head winds along with the energy industries.

Reason why UK didn't join in the 50s and applied in 61 was precisely because she was falling behind. That process continued until 70s when UK finally joined.

You can come out with any rubbish you want and some who are none the wiser will choose to believe you and some will not. Each to their own.

One still need to measure KPI and benchmark where we are today and where we'll end up in 10 - 20 years time. Otherwise people like you can twist and shout and take the argument anywhere you choose to.

Migration numbers should be a key monitor as Signalcalc states as that certainly was a Brexit campaign manifesto for sure.

If I recall last count was 330 for 2016.

Thatcher destroyed UK manufacturing base and layed the foundations to UK City of London's banking crises by following the US with the big bang deregulation / self regulation of the too big to fail banks.

Privatisation really hasn't produced the benefits claimed at the outset and both telecommunications and rail network facing head winds along with the energy industries.

Reason why UK didn't join in the 50s and applied in 61 was precisely because she was falling behind. That process continued until 70s when UK finally joined.

You can come out with any rubbish you want and some who are none the wiser will choose to believe you and some will not. Each to their own.

One still need to measure KPI and benchmark where we are today and where we'll end up in 10 - 20 years time. Otherwise people like you can twist and shout and take the argument anywhere you choose to.

Migration numbers should be a key monitor as Signalcalc states as that certainly was a Brexit campaign manifesto for sure.

If I recall last count was 330 for 2016.

The manufacturing based was in outdated heavy industry which was continually being propped up by the tax payers. Thatcher didn't destroy it. It was doomed anyway. She in fact laid the foundations for the UK to up it's game and move into high tec manufacturing and service industries.

Deregulation of the banking and finance worked just fine as it happens. By the end of the 80's we were flying. It was Labour under Bliar and Brown who failed to keep proper checks and balances in place and completely failed to regulate.

They are also responsible for the uncontrolled migration. I remember their forecasts being nowhere near the actual numbers.

These are all facts which you conveniently ignore.

The manufacturing based was in outdated heavy industry which was continually being propped up by the tax payers. Thatcher didn't destroy it. It was doomed anyway. She in fact laid the foundations for the UK to up it's game and move into high tec manufacturing and service industries.

You mean like cars, HiFi-TV, hair dryers, washing machines and diswashers? Heavy industry??? You kidding right. These are high frequent use, consumer durables with repeat use.

Deregulation of the banking and finance worked just fine as it happens. By the end of the 80's we were flying. It was Labour under Bliar and Brown who failed to keep proper checks and balances in place and completely failed to regulate.

Blair was simply a male version of Maggie. Brown hardly counts he got left holding the pooh after Thatchers big bang. Checks and balances equates to following what ever the US does.

They are also responsible for the uncontrolled migration. I remember their forecasts being nowhere near the actual numbers.

Migration has grown under every government Labour and Tory.

Your facts and numbers leave much to be desired. Fodder for the less well educated masses.

The best two things Maggie did were to put the unions in their place and take back the Falklands. The rest was just being pulled along by the Raganomics and global growth. UK was the last to join the recovery, through export led recovery.

Having said that, bashing the unions has gone too far now and we have issues with fat cats, undeserved bonuses impacting equities and divis along with excessive risk taking and a very freaky skewed inequitable distribution of income.

Last edited:

Got to agree with c_v here. Where would we have been without Maggie's restructuring and taking on the hard left fat cat power mad union bosses ?

Got to agree with c_v here. Where would we have been without Maggie's restructuring and taking on the hard left fat cat power mad union bosses ?

Yeah, kill off the old and outdated absolutely right,but where was the investment in the new wave industries. She had all that North Sea oil money flowing in as well. And where was the proper support for the communities that suffered (and still are all these years later).

In case I don't get the chance later in the week have a great Christmas everyone.

Yeah, kill off the old and outdated absolutely right,but where was the investment in the new wave industries. She had all that North Sea oil money flowing in as well. And where was the proper support for the communities that suffered (and still are all these years later).

In case I don't get the chance later in the week have a great Christmas everyone.

You are truly a lighthouse in troubled waters as people try and muddy the truth about the past and show the way forward for brighter, calmer horizons Barjon.

Very merry Christmas to you too and a happy new year :)

Am I imagining it but it looks to me that food prices have gone up in the local supermarkets ?