Brexit and the Consequences

Attachments

• nicola_gorilla_comp.png
    nicola_gorilla_comp.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37799235

Apple has increased the prices of its laptop and desktop computers in the UK by hundreds of pounds.

Earlier in October, the company said some service prices would go up by 22% in 2017, reflecting the pound's weakened value against the euro.

Mr O'Brien said it was "inevitable" that more companies would increase the prices of products and services.

Apple has increased the prices of its laptop and desktop computers in the UK by hundreds of pounds.

Earlier in October, the company said some service prices would go up by 22% in 2017, reflecting the pound's weakened value against the euro.

Mr O'Brien said it was "inevitable" that more companies would increase the prices of products and services.

I wouldn't worry about it. If conditions persist, our UK business people will soon sniff out a profit opportunity and start manufacturing. :)

It's back to the old days when it was cheaper to fly to the states to pick up a few bargains.

Apple couldn't give me its products for free. Overrated paperweights.

So, what was the deal with Nissan? No deal? I don't believe that.

Have you done the maths here Split !

Even with the 15% devaluation of GBP and even if there was a 10% tariff slapped on their export cars, then Nissan will be trousering the difference. The fact is, they are expanding their UK operation because it's a great place to do business :clap:

It's simple, eu slaps 10 percent tariff on us, we slap a 12 percent tariff on them. The 2 percent is just to make sure they know they are idiots

Oh well we will just have to stop buying them then and in any case margins on their products are very high. It wouldn't hurt them in any way to lose a bit of that as long as sales grow the same which is unlikely as people will just switch to other products.

As for Microsoft, I had already decided to switch to Linux after the Windows 10 debacle and loss of focus on customer needs.

So, what was the deal with Nissan? No deal? I don't believe that.
Allegedly....:cheesy:

Nissan are up there with the best when it comes to tax avoidance etc...I remember they used to export 1000s of cars per month to southern ireland via heysham docks then ship them back again, obviously to claim some sort of EU export tax relief.

I came across an interesting article with regards to " transfer pricing ".. this is one area they used to be heavily involved in, They were forced to pay back millions in tax back in 2004....

here's a small excerpt....

Transfer pricing issues also pose challenges to more developed economies. By
examining the US customs data and filings of import and export prices used by
corporations, Pak and Zdanowicz (2002) provide some instructive examples.
plastic buckets from the Czech Republic have been priced at $972.98 each, fence posts from Canada at $1,853.50 each, a kilo of toilet paper from China for $4,121.81, a litre of apple juice from Israel for $2,052, a ballpoint pen from Trinidad for $8,500, and a pair of tweezers from Japan at $4,896 each. Examples of export prices include a toilet (with bowl and tank) to Hong Kong for $1.75, prefabricated buildings to Trinidad at $1.20 each, bulldozers to Venezuela at $387.83 each, and missile and rocket launchers to Israel for just $52.03 each. For the year 2001 alone, such practices may have deprived the US government of US$53.1 billion of tax revenues.

The full article....( pdf )

http://repository.essex.ac.uk/8098/1/WP2010-1 - PSikka Transfer Pricing Paper.pdf

Have you done the maths here Split !

Even with the 15% devaluation of GBP and even if there was a 10% tariff slapped on their export cars, then Nissan will be trousering the difference. The fact is, they are expanding their UK operation because it's a great place to do business :clap:

er, and when they want to take their trousered £s back home and convert it to yen?

Bloomberg report - from insider sources - that Nissan said they would close the plant without assurances (which they have got) that tariffs would be mitigated. Might be a great place to do business, but not if it costs you much profit :)

Apple couldn't give me its products for free. Overrated paperweights.

A lot of people would not agree with you, forker, although, neither would I have one unless, in the unlikely event that they were given away. Then, I'd even queue round the block for one. We pensioners have less pride in those matters.:) However, while we have gone from Nissan to computers, I heard that Microsoft says that it, also, will have to increase prices.

I'm not gloating over all this. I do not believe that the Brits have thought this through, properly.