Brexit and the Consequences

I am fascinated about how mere mortals are able to base a decision on economic grounds, when every bank, economist, journo, politician and trading pundit got their calculations and speculations wrong, with such a massive fake news media campaign behind it, they still couldn't influence Brexiteers (or maybe they did but there was such an OUT majority to begin with).

I didn't base my voting decision on economists' opinions, I based it firstly on economic facts, i.e. the declared state of the UK economy at the time. This was in excellent health, and considering we had been members of the EU for so long, it was apparent that membership of the EU wasn't quite a disaster.

Secondly I based it on what might be expected to happen in the future, and what we might do if one or other decision was a mistake. I've explained this already.

But here it is -
If we leave, we might go into recession but we cannot re-join: or we might do well but we could still leave if that would be better.

If we remain, we might go into recession but we can still leave to escape this. Or we can stay and experience the drive towards political union. If that is good economically, I will be for it. If bad, we can resist it, by leaving the EU at that time if necessary.

Finally, nobody could say with certainty then or now that remaining or leaving would be an economic disaster. Neither political party then wanted to leave, but now neither want to stay. I may not trust them very much but I trust them to be able to hire the best economic advisors and to want to keep their own jobs, so it seems unlikely they were or are wishing to commit career suicide.

I may not trust them very much but I trust them to be able to hire the best economic advisors and to want to keep their own jobs, so it seems unlikely they were or are wishing to commit career suicide.

And not hired for their political bias either :rolleyes::whistling

And not hired for their political bias either :rolleyes::whistling

Well, obviously a party hires advisors that agree with their ideology.

But in this case, Labour and Conservative advisors all advised the same thing during membership and the same things during the Brexit referendum campaign - that being in the EU was not a disaster, and that leaving the EU would not be a disaster.

I begin to suspect that you oppose for the kudos of being an opponent.

I'm always stunned by the belligerent attitude of Brexiteers for the concept of democracy.

We've had the vote let's bloody well get on with it? End of. Period. That's it!

People have voted and we are leaving. Simple. Ask anyone what it means, consequences etc and you get blah blah blah. We are leaving innit. We out. Brexit means Brexit. Pack your bags. We're off.

The same people here like SC have praised what makes our democracy great with the signing of the Magna Carta and all our institutions supporting the worlds most mature established democratic body Parliament as well as independence and supremacy of our courts, defining our national identity and culture and with the same voice trampling all over it with his version of anything that doesn't match his vision. :eek::eek::eek:

Do people realise what comes out of their mouth is out of synch with what's inside their heads?

Came across some interesting article on what Brexit means and some of the questions peeps have been asking on google search. See what you think of it.

fwiw I thought if anyone searches a question relating to Brexit wouldn't it be great if the reply they got back was "Brexit means Brexit"? Then we'd all be experts on it.

Here are the most popular questions from the last two weeks:

UK:

When is Brexit?
What is Brexit?
Will Brexit happen?
What is no deal Brexit?
When was the Brexit vote?
What is the Chequers deal?
Will Brexit affect house prices?
What will happen after Brexit?
How many people voted for Brexit

EU 27:

What is Brexit?
What is no deal Brexit?
What are the consequences of Brexit?
Do I need to request to live in Britain after Brexit?
Will Brexit cause a recession?
When is Brexit happening?
Will Brexit happen?
Will there be civil unrest after Brexit?
What is the pound to Euro exchange rate?
What will happen to bank shares after Brexit?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...jb20v&guce_referrer_cs=oHN4hLSfjYIMQheWP3bSmw

I'm always stunned by the belligerent attitude of Brexiteers for the concept of democracy.

We've had the vote let's bloody well get on with it? End of. Period. That's it!

People have voted and we are leaving. Simple. Ask anyone what it means, consequences etc and you get blah blah blah. We are leaving innit. We out. Brexit means Brexit. Pack your bags. We're off.

The same people here like SC have praised what makes our democracy great with the signing of the Magna Carta and all our institutions supporting the worlds most mature established democratic body Parliament as well as independence and supremacy of our courts, defining our national identity and culture and with the same voice trampling all over it with his version of anything that doesn't match his vision. :eek::eek::eek:

Do people realise what comes out of their mouth is out of synch with what's inside their heads?

Came across some interesting article on what Brexit means and some of the questions peeps have been asking on google search. See what you think of it.

fwiw I thought if anyone searches a question relating to Brexit wouldn't it be great if the reply they got back was "Brexit means Brexit"? Then we'd all be experts on it.

Here are the most popular questions from the last two weeks:

UK:

When is Brexit?
What is Brexit?
Will Brexit happen?
What is no deal Brexit?
When was the Brexit vote?
What is the Chequers deal?
Will Brexit affect house prices?
What will happen after Brexit?
How many people voted for Brexit

EU 27:

What is Brexit?
What is no deal Brexit?
What are the consequences of Brexit?
Do I need to request to live in Britain after Brexit?
Will Brexit cause a recession?
When is Brexit happening?
Will Brexit happen?
Will there be civil unrest after Brexit?
What is the pound to Euro exchange rate?
What will happen to bank shares after Brexit?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...jb20v&guce_referrer_cs=oHN4hLSfjYIMQheWP3bSmw

They look like the sort of questions a 7 year old would be googling, you need to put the koolaid down my man and try and reassert your intellectual prowess, it is sadly lacking at the moment.

imagine you are in a job that is okish....you have gripes and grief ....but the pay is okish ...the people around you okish...sure the boss gives you cr*p sometimes but its generally ok....nothing great ...but ok mostly ..........

sure you would like to progress ....hey perhaps even leave for something better ?

then a headhunter approaches you.......do you want to leave ......yes or no

whats the company ?
whats the salary ?
what am i doing in the new job ?
where am i working ?

and the headhunter tells you the equivalent of what the Brexiteers did .....

Wouldnt you need more concrete information to perform some due dilligence and make a more informed decision ?

No ? ....all good ?

I'm sure that most scammers and dodgy salespeople would LOVE the database of brexiteers ....they will buy anything....

N

Last edited:
Interesting observation here folks. Check out these numbers... :whistling

Cl846VjWIAEmPVM.jpg

:cheesy:

Interesting observation here folks. Check out these numbers... :whistling

Cl846VjWIAEmPVM.jpg

:cheesy:

When will you lot finally stop crying over the result, you are like the never Trumpers, what will it be next, comparing the sexual antics of invading European hornets to leave voters, questioning the morality of the choice to leave based on the antics we got up to at a party 35 years ago?

It could literally be anything next.......next.......

I understand it must feel like the grief of the loss of a favourite teddy bear, but one day you are all going to have to grow up and face the hard truths of being responsible adults and realise that the 29th March 2019 will be a day of celebration, bigger than a coronation or a royal wedding, salt will only hurt those wounds, it would be good advice to stay away from the internet on that day, maybe suck your thumbs instead.

(I wish we had a faceplant emoji)