Brexit and the Consequences

Again, it’s has zero affect on 90% of the country and once more it’s all about getting to London half a hour quicker, By the time everybody has rushed into their high paid jobs in London, spent thousands in ticket fees, finished at 3 pm like everyone does down there, queued and rushed back home again, what sort of a life is that ? Before you know it life will have passed you by, great for the kids inheritance I’m sure....Nahh, not for me I’m afraid, sit in the back garden with friends and a few tins, clean country air, car on the driveway with keys left in, you beginning to see the picture....

Absolutely and what you say certainly resonates with me.

I'd like to see more of the North. Sounds like a great place where you are. Tranquillity and peace.

All the best (y)

Don’t get me wrong, I do like London and the south in general, what I don’t understand is the appeal to many businesses/companies when high speed fibre is pretty much the length of the country now, in fact I’ll drop a email to the big banks down there and notify them land has been discovered on the other side of the M25 :cheesy:

Don’t get me wrong, I do like London and the south in general, what I don’t understand is the appeal to many businesses/companies when high speed fibre is pretty much the length of the country now, in fact I’ll drop a email to the big banks down there and notify them land has been discovered on the other side of the M25 :cheesy:

Peeps leaving London already. Me being an example. Have so many friends who'd like to get out. They are hooked into money. Poor work life balance.

I support Vince and his Northern Powerhouse vision as you'll know. You are right about the potential up North. However, it needs investment and EU funding which you're not going to get from Parliament. You know that right? Get in line behind Wales.

You really should try the LibDems... (y)(y)(y)

I support Vince and his Northern Powerhouse vision as you'll know. You are right about the potential up North. However, it needs investment and EU funding which you're not going to get from Parliament. You know that right? Get in line behind Wales.

Banks need EU funding? You gotta be joking right? Explain?

Good ole muddle along British Democracy that does a good enough job.
But also importantly keeps the politicians worrying about various problems like education etc while leaving the average Joe to enjoy life.
I am sure we don't need a troublemaker like Trump creating chaos or a dictator enforcing his whims.

I always try to avoid voting for the mercurial saviour of the Universe -
1. Mostly BS based on lies
2. Carefully crafted to get the dissatisfied voters on board they know not what until it is too late.
3. Good looks like Kennedy ( got the US into the Bay of Pigs and Vietnam )

No sir. Give me the dull and boring plodders who are more likely to properly fix boring problems like drains, potholes, education and health.

This enlightenment comes with age. Having watched the gullible voting for losers like Trump, Blair and lying s0ds from the Third World who usually rob the country and stuff as much as they can abroad in Swiss bank accounts etc.

Here's a case against those who think that Brexiteers are stupid, ignorant and really don't know what is good for them:
https://unherd.com/2018/06/brexit-voters-werent-duped-propaganda/

To moi, the underlying problem is not that Brexiteers are "stupid, ignorant and really don't know what is good for them"... they are, of course... but unfortunately so are the Remainers and everyone else - bar the few illuminati that frequent this thread:)

The modern world (and any inhabitant of it) is deluged with a torrent of information, misinformation, lies, hyperbole and half-truths - and it's even worse outside parliament.

Information is not knowledge and if you don't have the time, inclination, brains or sufficient education it's an uphill struggle to convert the former to the latter. The average idiot citizen has their crap filter set far too low and the twittersphere is a perfect fit to flog sensational fiction to people who are happy to let their thinking be done by someone else.

It's a tragedy that the social revolution that took place over the 20th and 19th centuries should arrive at a state of evolution where the downtrodden masses not only believe themselves empowered but are actively encouraging the process that is steadily reducing their real freedoms and chance of social mobility.

End rant.

Trading has been dull over the last couple of days yer Honour and my EG position refuses to behave...besides which, I've just had possibly the world's worst latte in an indifferent coffee shop franchise..... I'm ready to man the barricades.

Here's a case against those who think that Brexiteers are stupid, ignorant and really don't know what is good for them:
https://unherd.com/2018/06/brexit-voters-werent-duped-propaganda/

When ever an argument is put involving any bit of detail the soundbites come out thick and fast.

They want to punish us.
They want us to fail.
They don't want us to succeed.
EU is going to fail anyway.
Look at all the other far right parties in EU.
Germany is being re-elected.
The rest of the World is queuing up to trade with us.
UK doesn't want to be told what to do by the other 27 who never agree with us.
There are only three options for UK.
Take back control.
Ladida and so forth.
Experts are always wrong.
Fake news.
Gove wanting to enforce stricter farming rules.
Wages will rise.
Prices will fall.
UK will receive Brexit dividend of +£135bn plus +£40bn p/a there after and so the list goes on.

Then there is reality...

Self indulgence on Brexit makes Roman orgies look tame in comparisons.

It's a free for all.

There is going to be a mega hangover after the party ends. (y)

Information is not knowledge and if you don't have the time, inclination, brains or sufficient education it's an uphill struggle to convert the former to the latter. The average idiot citizen has their crap filter set far too low and the twittersphere is a perfect fit to flog sensational fiction to people who are happy to let their thinking be done by someone else.

If us mere mortals have trouble information processing, how the hell do our politicians do it? Answer is they are also as incapable as the rest of us. Last weeks PMQ's proves the point where Trump Derangement Syndrome resulted in 4 or 5 questions being wasted on asking the PM to oppose Trump's visit and his migration policy based on news that a day later was proved to be faked!

When ever an argument is put involving any bit of detail the soundbites come out thick and fast.

They want to punish us.
They want us to fail.
They don't want us to succeed.
EU is going to fail anyway.
Look at all the other far right parties in EU.
Germany is being re-elected.
The rest of the World is queuing up to trade with us.
UK doesn't want to be told what to do by the other 27 who never agree with us.
There are only three options for UK.
Take back control.
Ladida and so forth.
Experts are always wrong.
Fake news.
Gove wanting to enforce stricter farming rules.
Wages will rise.
Prices will fall.
UK will receive Brexit dividend of +£135bn plus +£40bn p/a there after and so the list goes on.

Then there is reality...

Self indulgence on Brexit makes Roman orgies look tame in comparisons.

It's a free for all.

There is going to be a mega hangover after the party ends. (y)

I'm confused, Attila (my default state, I grant you) but are we attending an orgy? an ordinary party with the usual excesses? or David's Sh*t Restaurant?..and anyway, are we having fun yet?

...my only real complaint is that if the rest of you were enjoying any of the above entertainments, I somehow missed out. My seven lean years weren't followed by a noticeably fatter seven and now it seems that we're starting on another seven that're going to be scrawnier than ever. If I'd paid for my ticket (or hadn't and was an MP) I'd want my money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused, Attila (my default state, I grant you) but are we attending an orgy? an ordinary party with the usual excesses? or David's Sh*t Restaurant?

...my only real complaint is that if the rest of you were enjoying any of the above entertainments, I somehow missed out. My seven lean years weren't followed by a noticeably fatter seven and now it seems that we're starting on another seven that're going to be scrawnier than ever. If I'd paid for my ticket (or hadn't and was an MP) I'd want my money back.

Personally I've never enjoyed French cuisine but some say it is an acquired taste.

I don't relate to the Sh*t restaurant analogy but Roman orgy has a certain ring about our relations with European cousins more so than those across the pond. :whistling