Brexit and the Consequences

Moggy going full tilt. What a (upper) class act he is. He neatly sums up why the EU is the problem and not the solution and how it's a threat to democracy.
Enjoy . . .

Beg to differ m'lud.

To my mind JRM personifies the Wykehamist Fallacy: he's articulate, quick-witted, tolerably erudite ....and exudes honesty - as Groucho Marx said "If you can fake that, you've got it made". People are falling for it - an upper class, moneyed, out of touch hypocrite with doubtful beliefs, an opaque personal agenda and he's flavour of the month!!! So much for the intelligence of crowds.

What happened to objectivity, reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism? Have things really got so desperate that common sense is no longer fashionable?

I remember bumping into common sense once and was told it had been sacked and replaced by incompetence.

Beg to differ m'lud.

To my mind JRM personifies the Wykehamist Fallacy: he's articulate, quick-witted, tolerably erudite ....and exudes honesty - as Groucho Marx said "If you can fake that, you've got it made". People are falling for it - an upper class, moneyed, out of touch hypocrite with doubtful beliefs, an opaque personal agenda and he's flavour of the month!!! So much for the intelligence of crowds.

What happened to objectivity, reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism? Have things really got so desperate that common sense is no longer fashionable?

Surely that's a very unusual trait in politicians and isn't that what the electorate is crying out for? There's no leadership from May or Corbyn – Wykehamist or any other kind. Objectivity is always in short supply, but reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism seem to be alive and well.

Surely that's a very unusual trait in politicians and isn't that what the electorate is crying out for? There's no leadership from May or Corbyn – Wykehamist or any other kind. Objectivity is always in short supply, but reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism seem to be alive and well.

Precisely!
The electorate ( or 'The people" if you prefer) are taken in by JRM because of his perceived attributes NOT his substance. It is of course true that he's not a Wykehamist but Eton makes for a passable stand-in.

My point concerning either of these Good Old Boys is that the form belies the content. In my view he's no less a liar and an incompetent than any of the other public school types that have sleazed their way into Westminster. The difference is that he appears to be better, appears to be competent, appears to honest etc etc ad nauseam..... and the Masses, unwashed and washed, are falling for it.

Caveat emptor.

Beg to differ m'lud.

Are you judging the man and not the content of his speech?

Despite his failings JRM is one of a very few, possibly the only, serving MP, that manages to articulate and reveal aspects of the EU that is difficult to find elsewhere, good on him.

Precisely!
The electorate ( or 'The people" if you prefer) are taken in by JRM because of his perceived attributes NOT his substance. It is of course true that he's not a Wykehamist but Eton makes for a passable stand-in.

My point concerning either of these Good Old Boys is that the form belies the content. In my view he's no less a liar and an incompetent than any of the other public school types that have sleazed their way into Westminster. The difference is that he appears to be better, appears to be competent, appears to honest etc etc ad nauseam..... and the Masses, unwashed and washed, are falling for it.

Caveat emptor.

The masses will fall for anything LibLabCon, it matters not from which party it comes. The veneer may change but the substance remains the same.

Precisely!

Caveat emptor.

I have no evidence to disagree with that - all leaders need to display those qualities if they are to carry the sheep with them. But it's not until they actually get to be in charge that you find out whether there's any substance behind it all. In politics it's difficult to get rid of the incompetents; military procedure is to shunt them off to somewhere quiet where they can do no harm. Shame we don't do that with MPs sooner instead of waiting for them to retire to the Lords.

. . .What happened to objectivity, reasonable doubt and healthy cynicism? Have things really got so desperate that common sense is no longer fashionable?
Hi cantagril,
Sorry, I'm afraid your post was waaay over the top of my single celled swede! I'm not sure what it is about JRM that you think people are falling for? I would have thought his upbringing, education and wealth would, for the most part, count against him rather than be in his favour. Personally, I don't care about any of that, I just care about his ability to cut to the heart of the Brexit issue. As Sig' rightly points out, it's the content of his speech that impresses me and I'd urge others to judge that - as opposed to JRM himself.
Tim.

Precisely!

Caveat emptor.

Top post Sir Canta, I'm glad other people can see through his dribble as well.

He lacks integrity, honesty and a good education based on my assessment of his nonsense.

Anyone who cares to analyse what he says and work through his ideas will see he is a pretentious privileged pillock. (n)

As you rightly suggest mass public seem to think anyone who speaks with a posh accent has been through the public school system and thus know their stuff. But that's simply not the case. It''s like buying something which is so expensive quality is built into the assumption based on price alone.

Language is the same. It speaks volumes but doesn't produce anything. Much hot air. One must look beyond the words. What is he really saying?

My word, I reckon many of you should join cynics anonymous :LOL:

For myself I am happy to accept the underlying honesty of JRM and that he is driven by what he considers to be in the best interests of our country. I believe exactly the same of Ken Clark even though the pair of them are poles apart in their EU views.

Both of them egg the pudding of their particular side of the argument, but that’s in the nature of things and not just the preserve of politicians - after all, you see much of it in this thread :LOL:

My word, I reckon many of you should join cynics anonymous :LOL:

For myself I am happy to accept the underlying honesty of JRM and that he is driven by what he considers to be in the best interests of our country. I believe exactly the same of Ken Clark even though the pair of them are poles apart in their EU views.

Both of them egg the pudding of their particular side of the argument, but that’s in the nature of things and not just the preserve of politicians - after all, you see much of it in this thread :LOL:

You give benefit of the doubt but not all people are the same. Based on his religious beliefs and this is a common feature with such people, they truly believe god has blessed them and they in turn believe they are an instrument of god.

With respect to best interests of our country, Adam Smiths invisible hand plays a part in neo-classical thought process. What is in the best interest of each individual goes up to make the interests of the whole country or so they believe.

Any rational mind can see the pure classical economists and capitalism and competition leads to accumulation of wealth in the hands of the very few and tendencies towards monopolistic practice.

Same goes for politics and all consuming power. All politicians may be equal but some are more equal than others.

Increasingly, going into politics is about making money. Why would all these parliamentary politicians go into the business of buying and selling homes with such gusto? They justify it for them selves by simply quoting CEO pay packets of the FTSE's and thus they should be on par.

Whole shenanigans is in disrepute. Look at Gove and Boris. Look at TM's campaign to discredit and wreck Andrea Leadsom's run for PM role.

I guess you put all that down to simple politics of life.

Sinister movements in most modern politics imho. Simply that it's the lesser of other evils. You shouldn't try and sugar coat it. Call it out for what it is.

I was wondering were you had disappeared to, Love island finished already?:LOL::LOL:

Sorry matey. Where I am, I only get out couple of hours in the day. Have to fight off the others for the internet seats. :cheesy:

Last edited:
Can I change my s&p prediction, I didn’t fully understand what I was voting for...:cheesy:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: yes very good :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

So Mikey tell me what you think of third runway at Heathrow in light of Brexit deal or lack of it?

images

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: yes very good :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

So Mikey tell me what you think of third runway at Heathrow in light of Brexit deal or lack of it?

images

Everything has to revolve around London village..It has little significance to us northerners how many runways you have, For contrasts we have one shop in our village and not likely to get any runways for the foreseeable....:LOL:

Everything has to revolve around London village..It has little significance to us northerners how many runways you have, For contrasts we have one shop in our village and not likely to get any runways for the foreseeable....:LOL:

I see you. ;)

And how do you feel about HS2?

Again, it’s has zero affect on 90% of the country and once more it’s all about getting to London half a hour quicker, By the time everybody has rushed into their high paid jobs in London, spent thousands in ticket fees, finished at 3 pm like everyone does down there, queued and rushed back home again, what sort of a life is that ? Before you know it life will have passed you by, great for the kids inheritance I’m sure....Nahh, not for me I’m afraid, sit in the back garden with friends and a few tins, clean country air, car on the driveway with keys left in, you beginning to see the picture....