Brexit and the Consequences

If there are any politicians of any talent here they would be proposing a reformed club in place of the EU that all the members would be proud to belong to. Competent, fair, democratic and SUCCESFUL.

It would be a great project for the Universities to come up with a better model. They are meant to be clever. Or so they would like us to believe.

Probably we would have to reform ourselves first.

If there are any politicians of any talent here they would be proposing a reformed club in place of the EU that all the members would be proud to belong to. Competent, fair, democratic and SUCCESFUL.

It would be a great project for the Universities to come up with a better model. They are meant to be clever. Or so they would like us to believe.

Probably we would havdebatee to reform ourselves first.

One problem is that no-one actually understands what the problem is that needs to be addressed. The problem is obscured by a number of factors related to identity politics and political correctness. Those investigative journalists that seek to find any modicum of truth, so that a reasonable debate could ensue, are blocked at every turn by the establishment.

We are living in a corrupted world masquerading as decent society. There is no end in sight, the glimmer of hope is that enough people wake up and smell the ballot paper, voters are the only hope for change, it’s the only thing that politicians respond to, if they see a large swing in voters, they may act, otherwise they lose power to someone else. Very difficult in the UK where the majority of voters are apathetic, let the battle continue.

Many politicians depend and act upon advice from university "experts" – presumably because they have no ideas of their own or little expertise in their responsible field. Thus, often never having had a proper job themselves also, they are in no position to make informed assessment of the advice received. Draw your own conclusion!

...and literate. Come on Pat, 2 esses in "success":)

One problem is that no-one actually understands what the problem is that needs to be addressed. The problem is obscured by a number of factors related to identity politics and political correctness. Those investigative journalists that seek to find any modicum of truth, so that a reasonable debate could ensue, are blocked at every turn by the establishment.

We are living in a corrupted world masquerading as decent society. There is no end in sight, the glimmer of hope is that enough people wake up and smell the ballot paper, voters are the only hope for change, it’s the only thing that politicians respond to, if they see a large swing in voters, they may act, otherwise they lose power to someone else. Very difficult in the UK where the majority of voters are apathetic, let the battle continue.

All too often the NEW politicians with radical ideas succeed in throwing the babes out with the bath water and quickly need force to subdue opposition.

Last edited:
All too often the NEW politicians with radical ideas succeed in throwing the babes out with the bath water and quickly need force to subdue opposition.

I see yet another of Mr. Putin's critics has ben murdered in Kiev !

It was a stunt apparently - sort of fake news I suppose!

The BBC continuing to scrape the remoaner barrel, I see? I don't recall EU grants being available for the UK arts between WW2 until we became a member, and look at the talent we produced during those years that became global successes! Outside of the EU who receives EU grants and yet there is plenty of successful talent outside of the EU? Nope, can't see Brexit making much of an impact there.

The BBC continuing to scrape the remoaner barrel, I see? I don't recall EU grants being available for the UK arts between WW2 until we became a member, and look at the talent we produced during those years that became global successes! Outside of the EU who receives EU grants and yet there is plenty of successful talent outside of the EU? Nope, can't see Brexit making much of an impact there.

Agree. Talent doesn't need the EU.

One of the biggest reasons for the UK to pull out of the EU has been the under cutting by Eastern Europeans of wages.
Apparently the EU has just belatedly fixed the problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/new...in-the-first-place/ar-AAy1y5S?ocid=spartanntp

I was working at the Fawley Refinery when this all kicked off. It's only taken 10 years to sort out. Not bad on EU timescales. Meanwhile, tens of thousands have left the industry or been subjected to wage deflation. The damage is already done and we are still leaving (y)

Director of the Adam Smith Institute knows what he's talking about.

WARNING: Remainers - avert your eyes now!

https://brexitcentral.com/opportunities-brexit-almost-endless/
Oh dear, I do hope Atilla doesn't see this - it'll ruin his day!
:LOL:

It's interesting reading that article having spent last weekend staying with friends - a couple we've known for yonks - in Brittany. Wendy has just retired and is looking to do something creative in her spare time. Having been a fabric designer in her youth (for Sanderson & Liberty among others), she's wanting to make patchworks and to design some scarves to sell online, in a few boutiques in Morlaix and surrounding areas. She's not looking to make serious money - just enough to cover costs so that her hobby washes its face so to speak. Now, here in the U.K. she would just do it and, in the unlikely event that her hobby developed into a serious business, then she would of course pay all the relevant taxes etc. Not so in France. The hoops she has to jump through, the courses she has to attend (one of which lasts a whole week!) and the paperwork she has to complete - just to operate a little hobby in her retirement - is mind boggling. If I was in her shoes, I simply wouldn't bother - it's way too much hassle. However, she's made of sterner stuff and, having lived over there for many years, is used to French bureaucracy. But I was struck by just how much her experience is summed up very succinctly in the article.
Tim.

Last edited:

It's interesting reading that article having spent last weekend staying with friends - a couple we've known for yonks - in Brittany. Wendy has just retired and is looking to do something creative in her spare time. Having been a fabric designer in her youth (for Sanderson & Liberty among others), she's wanting to make patchworks and to design some scarves to sell online, in a few boutiques in Morlaix and surrounding areas. She's not looking to make serious money - just enough to cover costs so that her hobby washes its face so to speak. Now, here in the U.K. she would just do it and, in the unlikely event that her hobby developed into a serious business, then she would of course pay all the relevant taxes etc. Not so in France. The hoops she has to jump through, the courses she has to attend (one of which lasts a whole week!) and the paperwork she has to complete - just to operate a little hobby in her retirement - is mind boggling. If I was in her shoes, I simply wouldn't bother - it's way too much hassle. However, she's made of sterner stuff and, having lived over there for many years, is used to French bureaucracy. But I was struck by just how much her experience is summed up very succinctly in the article.
Tim.

Exactly right. The whole EU operates from a position of "barriers to entry", the reason for this is dead simple, they are in the business of protectionism and managed decline. Which is the polar opposite of free trade, less red tape, entrepreneurship and free market economics in general.

Once again, the evidence is clear. EU trade as a % of world trade is in severe decline. There is no argument about this, it's a fact.

Tim.

Wendy exhibits that typically British "can-do" determination which often makes us so different from other nations. That's why we will thrive outside the EU despite the doom-mongers, despite George Soros and despite so many other vested interests.