Brexit and the Consequences

Self defeating argument i'm afraid Jon.

The Moggster says we should play to our strengths going forward.

So, by staying part of the EU, can you explain to me and the readers how we could possibly play to our strengths when we are hamstrung by the protectionist inward looking EU?

Ditto, the same reason why the rest of the world could'nt give a toss what the UK says, because they know we are bound up in what the EU dictates.

You seem to forget that we were the “sick man of Europe” in economic terms before we joined the Common Market as the EU then was. Thanks to our membership we have prospered since then even though there have been irritations and other difficulties on the way.

I guess Brexiteers would probably say that we have prospered despite the EU, but that is just a maybe guess. All I know for a fact is that we have prospered whilst members of the EU and I just hope (without much conviction) that we don’t take control right back to our sick bed.

The Sick man of Europe point is a weak on I am afraid. Back then the UK was being mismanaged and there was still overhanging debt from the war and the world was still trying to recover. If we were not the 5th largest economy the world then the argument would have some merit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Sick man of Europe point is a weak on I am afraid. Back then the UK was being mismanaged and there was still overhanging debt from the war and the world was still trying to recover. If we were not the 5th largest economy the world then the argument would have some merit.

You can argue which ever way you wish, doesn’t alter the facts that we have prospered (and until just recently outperformed others) whilst members.

Self defeating argument i'm afraid Jon.

The Moggster says we should play to our strengths going forward.

So, by staying part of the EU, can you explain to me and the readers how we could possibly play to our strengths when we are hamstrung by the protectionist inward looking EU?

Ditto, the same reason why the rest of the world could'nt give a toss what the UK says, because they know we are bound up in what the EU dictates.

Fail to see your rational or logic for supporting Trump, US first and all that whaffle whilst arguing against the EU about protectionism.

I guess it's a case of cake and eating that sort of thing.

UK was only great between up until 1850s due to industrialisation. It has been down hill since then. Do people know what they mean by being Great is? Exploit, kill and wage war on nations weaker than one self in the national interest!

What a load of bolder balderdash :rolleyes:

You seem to forget that we were the “sick man of Europe” in economic terms before we joined the Common Market as the EU then was. Thanks to our membership we have prospered since then even though there have been irritations and other difficulties on the way.

I guess Brexiteers would probably say that we have prospered despite the EU, but that is just a maybe guess. All I know for a fact is that we have prospered whilst members of the EU and I just hope (without much conviction) that we don’t take control right back to our sick bed.

This has been done to death previously. We prospered because of Maggies reform programme. I should know because I was fully immersed in it.

Bugger all prosperity has come from Europe. All of this has been demonstrated beyond doubt. The EU is a declining share of the world market. The future never was in Europe and never will be in Europe. Europe is an unreformable basket case which we need to get out of pronto. No if's no buts, just leave.

Fail to see your rational or logic for supporting Trump, US first and all that whaffle whilst arguing against the EU about protectionism.

I guess it's a case of cake and eating that sort of thing.

UK was only great between up until 1850s due to industrialisation. It has been down hill since then. Do people know what they mean by being Great is? Exploit, kill and wage war on nations weaker than one self in the national interest!

What a load of bolder balderdash :rolleyes:

So now you are denying that the US is surging ahead, that jobs are returning to the US, that large outsourcing corporations are now investing their money in the US and not overseas.

What kind of dreamworld do you guys live in ffs.

Last edited:
So now you are denying that the US is surging ahead, that jobs are returning to the US, that large outsourcing corporations are not now investing their money in the US and not overseas.

What kind of dreamworld do you guys live in ffs.

US merely gave away tax cuts they can't afford. Much like printing trillions of dollars.

They are putting up protection which you hold against EU.

US is very much becoming like EU. Do you not see this?

US is not surging ahead either. Simply dollar is falling and just nominal revaluation as a consequence of fall in currency.

Jobs and global world economy was recovering when Obama left office. Trump was taking credit for having fixed the US two months into his election.

The mind boggles about your comprehension on matters of detail. What I have written in previous blog and your response about me denying has no logic behind it either. You are arguing with voices inside your own head. Take it easy with what ever you are drinking.

All the best (y)

US merely gave away tax cuts they can't afford. Much like printing trillions of dollars.

They are putting up protection which you hold against EU.

US is very much becoming like EU. Do you not see this?

US is not surging ahead either. Simply dollar is falling and just nominal revaluation as a consequence of fall in currency.

Jobs and global world economy was recovering when Obama left office. Trump was taking credit of having fixed the US two months into his election.

The mind boggles about your comprehension on matters of detail. What I have written in previous blog and your response about me denying has not logic behind it either. You are arguing with voices inside your own head. Take it easy with what ever you are drinking.

All the best (y)

I know what the UK will be doing in the future, following his example. Unfortunately, this time we will be following, last time this happened, Reagan followed our example under Maggie.

None of this will happen under May of course, she needs booting out and Mogg to the rescue before Brexit gets further derailed.

So come on, lets see you argue against this report. (y)

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/07/investing/trump-economy-report-card/index.html

You can argue which ever way you wish, doesn’t alter the facts that we have prospered (and until just recently outperformed others) whilst members.
I am not arguing, just pointing out a different angle to your thinking. Are we able to have a debate without being on the offensive?

Agreed on our success point but it wasn't the only factor playing a role in success.

For me personally, all my greatest turning points in my life have come from times of pain. The lessons learned have allowed me to navigate and build success. Isn't there a saying along the lines of success is built on foundations of mistakes. Anyway, from my perspective, the UK will go through just the right amount of paint to help us navigate towards greater success. It's how life works and brexit is just an aggregate of life.

I know what the UK will be doing in the future, following his example. Unfortunately, this time we will be following, last time this happened, Reagan followed our example under Maggie.

None of this will happen under May of course, she needs booting out and Mogg to the rescue before Brexit gets further derailed.

Remember how the US surged ahead under Reaganomics. The same was true in the UK under Thatcher.

Trump is doing Reaganomics part 2 (unfinished business)

The UK needs to follow suit and we can surge ahead too.

I am not arguing, just pointing out a different angle to your thinking. Are we able to have a debate without being on the offensive?

Agreed on our success point but it wasn't the only factor playing a role in success.

For me personally, all my greatest turning points in my life have come from times of pain. The lessons learned have allowed me to navigate and build success. Isn't there a saying along the lines of success is built on foundations of mistakes. Anyway, from my perspective, the UK will go through just the right amount of paint to help us navigate towards greater success. It's how life works and brexit is just an aggregate of life.

Apologies. I was not meaning to sound offensive.

This has been done to death previously. We prospered because of Maggies reform programme. I should know because I was fully immersed in it.

Bugger all prosperity has come from Europe. All of this has been demonstrated beyond doubt. The EU is a declining share of the world market. The future never was in Europe and never will be in Europe. Europe is an unreformable basket case which we need to get out of pronto. No if's no buts, just leave.

Yes, I was immersed in Maggie’s things, too and there is no doubt she was the catalyst of that prospering. Nonetheless it took place with us in the EU and much of it came from attracting business because we were a gateway to Europe as well as because Maggie was making it a good place to do business. It’s worth reflecting whether the likes of Honda, Nissan etc would have come here if we had not been in the EU so I think it’s wrong to say bugger all has come from our membership.

How does the saying go again? Red rags? Bulls? Something like that?.....:)

You know exactly what you're saying and pretending there was / is no grey-scale to all this makes for "lively" discussion but thereby fails to address the relational context in which Maggie's period of grace:)p) was situated.

A great deal of her perceived success was precisely because the UK was in a European context and she was therefore able to to badger, cajole, embarrass and threaten both the EU (and her cabinet) into the concessions and deals that did get something out of membership.

Insularity and independence are wonderful ideals but the hard and often unpleasant realities do tend to encroach on people's lives. Yes, some of what Maggie did was helpful to the economy and a large tranche of the population but you know full well that some of she did was crass, short-sighted and badly thought out and that the country still lives the whole legacy today.

Across the Channel, the upheaval of the '68 évènements changed French society almost overnight. It benefited millions of people but it also put the government into the position of permanent black-mail akin to the the heady days of '60s Britain. Social stability was purchased by effectively setting in stone relationships with industry, the civil service and the workforce turning them into the same kind of sacred cows that is the case with the NHS.

By concentrating on the more theatrical and easier to win battles, Maggie's failure to reform the NHS, education system, industrial in a coherent manner for the long-term prosperity of all has left Britain in the State that it is.

It's ridiculous to say that only by being alone as it was (a fallacy), is any kind of solution to our current woes. Firstly, as you know full well, the UK has not been alone, politically, militarily or economically for at least a century, including the odd war or three. Secondly, it's precisely because Britain has been part of a physical and ideal Europe since the end of the Dark Ages that the country is what it is today.

Casting off and setting sail for the Great Unknown is both exciting and courageous. However, personally, as a namby-pamby stick-in-the-mud, I'd prefer it if my grandchildren were able to live out their lives in relative comfort and tranquility rather than picking over the ruins of a proudly Post-Everything independent and insular UK.

I completely get it that some people don't see where some roads lead and it is absolutely their right to believe their beliefs and state their opinions. All I would say is that I'd quite like them to be able to do this in a country with a functioning health service / education system and tolerably healthy economy.

I don't want to live in an Iceland and I'm fairly certain that my descendants won't want to either.... Now, if you said, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy (Europe! shock! horror!) then you'd get some votes:)

Last edited by a moderator:
"All I would say is that I'd quite like them to be able to do this in a country with a functioning health service / education system and tolerably healthy economy."

I'd agree with that – but if you're going to do it well you need a bit more than "a tolerably healthy economy".

Regardless of Brexit the NHS is one of our biggest problems – and it is a problem that needs sorting out but no one seems to have the balls to do it properly – extra money is part of it but it's not the root problem. As for the NHS being the envy of the world – what a joke! Some good ideas here:
http://commentcentral.co.uk/nhs-envy-of-the-world-give-me-break/

I'd agree with that – but if you're going to do it well you need a bit more than "a tolerably healthy economy".

Regardless of Brexit the NHS is one of our biggest problems – and it is a problem that needs sorting out but no one seems to have the balls to do it properly – extra money is part of it but it's not the root problem. As for the NHS being the envy of the world – what a joke! Some good ideas here:

Without wishing to digress upon a digression - reform does not mean either chucking bucket-loads of money at a problem nor merely erasing it completely. Look to Europe (again!) for ideas of how the NHS could quickly be improved - France for one has a mixed system without the ridiculous apartheid over here. As a historical note: when the NHS was being set up, the government established the private or public criterion for the user but wasn't able to make this fly with the medical profession, which has led to today's situation where choice is essentially in the hands of the provider of the service but not the people for whom it was established... Your favourite consultant can choose which cow to milk and often supplements his scrawny estate herd with sleeker, fatter and altogether more profitable private Jerseys.

Ah, the NHS eh, there’s a problem to wrestle with :LOL:. Brexit’s a breeze by comparison.

My earlier remarks might have seemed obtuse but I have a perfectly good excuse: I'm lazy. I'm lazy and didn't read the article you linked to - but yes, though my viewpoint and understanding are informed almost solely by living under the French and German systems, I can confirm from experience that it isn't fiction and a lot of Europe has done very well using approaches that are polar opposites of those here in Perfidious.

You are seriously flawed in your understanding of what is termed facts if I may suggest so.

Ragan did not follow Thatcher at all. Thatcher followed US in the way privatisation flowed. In fact NHS and public services were starved of cash as it was redirected to giving away subsidies for US style medical private companies to build private hospitals.

Private medical cover was also given out as part of work company benefit deals subsidised by HMS Gov.

Company cars were also a tax brake whilst public transport was starved of cash. We all know how that worked out???

I am at a loss how so many of Thatcher's rotten policies are deemed to make us more productive when on the contrary it was one way flow to US.

Privatised nationalised industries were sold dirt cheap to pay off PSBR and purchased by American corporations only to rip of British consumer by charging monopoly pricing on utilities.

Catalogue of free give aways under thatcher is a joke. Once again I find my self at a loss not to dish out some well deserved expletives.

I'll simply have to throw my hands in the air, shake my head... tut tut tut... and walk away.

To think your ilk thinks we are saving the UK from EU is verging on extreme dangerous foolishness. I can only ask you to consider your beliefs and understanding of UK economic history and development?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear... :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
OK Chumps.

Which Chumps are you gonna vote for in the next election?

1. The Chumps that think they are in charge, have no respect for democracy, have no intention of carrying out the will of the people chumps?

2. The Chumps that think they are a govt in waiting and yet are losing voting chumps in their droves because they have swung so far to the left that they can't see there own arses because their chump heads are so far up their chump arses?

3. The Chumps that can't keep hold of a leader because they are, well, led by chumps?

4. A.N.Other bunch of Chumps?

All good chump choices, me, I'm voting for the Chumps :cheesy:

OK Chumps.

Which Chumps are you gonna vote for in the next election?

1. The Chumps that think they are in charge, have no respect for democracy, have no intention of carrying out the will of the people chumps?

2. The Chumps that think they are a govt in waiting and yet are losing voting chumps in their droves because they have swung so far to the left that they can't see there own arses because their chump heads are so far up their chump arses?

3. The Chumps that can't keep hold of a leader because they are, well, led by chumps?

4. A.N.Other bunch of Chumps?

All good chump choices, me, I'm voting for the Chumps :cheesy:

Well that's the problem isn't it? Unless you wish to contribute to a future communist/Marxist state then there's not a lot of hope, going on present form.

It's a bit like the Phoney War at the moment – lots of talk, little action, no one competent in charge and most people wondering what the hell is going on. We need another Churchill - (Oops! sorry: wasn't he racist/colonialist/approver of slavery/member of the gentry and definitely not left-wing) so I don't suppose that idea will get very far with today's Snowflakes and Millennials!