Brexit and the Consequences

British culture has more to do with upholding British/English culture and law as we, as a nation, have developed it over a number of centuries...

You must be really grateful for Gina Millers case she brougth to High Court then upholding parliament's sovereignty.

Sadly Brexiteers walk does not match the talk wrt Sovereignty of Parliament.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ers-have-won-supreme-court-now-demand-proper/

I would very much be interested in your pov how you might explain all the death threats and abuse she received from the 000s of Brexiteers?

Would that be because they don't share your point above or something else? :whistling

I saw Gina Miller on QT, I thought she looked alot older than she appeared when she brought the case to court. TBH, I never gave a thought to her then and since, it barely registered that she was doing the right thing, and she was. What her court case highlighted was that doing the right thing is indeed what should be happening, time will tell.

Abuse of any kind should not be tolerated, GM deserves none of it, abuse is more a reflection of the people instigating it. Disgusting behaviour by people who should barely be listened to.

So lets get this straight. It's ok for Joe public to be abused on a continual basis as long as the abusers abide by establishment rules. Is that really what all this boils down to?

Socco had a similar line going on with rudeness, or as he liked to phrase it, "polite rudeness"

Just cant get through to remainiacs that they have screwed up and their solution to the myriad of problems is "more of the same"

Keep ya eye on the Italy vote (y)

LOL always same response with you CV.

You keep an eye on Carillion and ignore what other countries do.

Your far too busy looking at other side and ignoring your own stables.

So lets get this straight. It's ok for Joe public to be abused on a continual basis as long as the abusers abide by establishment rules. Is that really what all this boils down to?

Socco had a similar line going on with rudeness, or as he liked to phrase it, "polite rudeness"

You've lost me here CV?

You suggesting anarchy?

Militant uprising?

You with Unison?

Power to the people and all that jazz?

What kind of a Tory are you FGS. :)

LOL always same response with you CV.

You keep an eye on Carillion and ignore what other countries do.

Your far too busy looking at other side and ignoring your own stables.

I'm simply pointing out that you're beloved EU project is doomed. Quite why you and others want the UK to remain part of a failed corrupt vanity project is beyond me.

As for Carillion, don't even get me started on that one. Sub contract firms, suppliers, sub contract labour. How many little people's lives have to be ruined whilst the big corps run amok.

You've lost me here CV?

You suggesting anarchy?

Militant uprising?

You with Unison?

Power to the people and all that jazz?

What kind of a Tory are you FGS. :)

I'm suggesting that the UK needs to get back to proper free market capitalism, where everyone finds their rightful place, free from crony corporate/ govt collusion/ barriers to entry and so on.

Thatcherism part 2, the sequel. (unfinished business)

I'm suggesting that the UK needs to get back to proper free market capitalism, where everyone finds their rightful place, free from crony corporate/ govt collusion/ barriers to entry and so on.

Thatcherism part 2, the sequel. (unfinished business)

....IOW the same platform that got Trump elected:)

Personally, I'd rather labour lunacy than have any government that resembled the small-handed loon... or the Iron Crone; the UK is still suffering from her policies and it will be worse after Brexit for quite a while. I grant you that the thought of having Jazza as PM is unnerving but perhaps some of the younger generation coming up behind will have a few more functioning neurones.

....IOW the same platform that got Trump elected:)

Personally, I'd rather labour lunacy than have any government that resembled the small-handed loon... or the Iron Crone; the UK is still suffering from her policies and it will be worse after Brexit for quite a while. I grant you that the thought of having Jazza as PM is unnerving but perhaps some of the younger generation coming up behind will have a few more functioning neurones.

Rail privatisation as well as telecoms absolute disaster.

I'd add utilities to that list too.

Same goes for self regulation of the finance industry, not to mention fat cats or FTSE giants and skewed distribution of income.

The pendulum has certainly swung too far and wide. There is new dawn coming.

Tories are going to be so far booted out into orbit they'll ponder in the wildnerness again very soon. Even more so if Brexit ever comes to be. They will pay.

Only caveat maybe the doubling of US debt stimulating global growth but how long it lasts remains to be seen???

I will be voting tactically in next elections! Anything to boot the tories out. (y)

Same goes for self regulation of the finance industry, not to mention fat cats or FTSE giants and skewed distribution of income.

Tories are going to be so far booted out into orbit they'll ponder in the wildnerness again very soon. Even more so if Brexit ever comes to be. They will pay.

Only caveat maybe the doubling of US debt stimulating global growth but how long it lasts remains to be seen???

I will be voting tactically in next elections! Anything to boot the tories out. (y)

Deluded or wishful thinking or just pure anger?

Get it out your system Att, it’s deluded Friday 🤣

Voting for the green LibDems is not a tactical vote, but a wasted vote (y)

Deluded or wishful thinking or just pure anger?

Get it out your system Att, it’s deluded Friday 🤣

LOL - no matey you got it all wrong.

Let's be fair here, the angry protest voters are the Brexiteers. They are not happy as per your previous post. Worried concern fearing loss of parliamentary sovereignty and the rest.

Then along with the national daily trash they turn on the very supreme courts you purport to fight for.

So for you to suggest I am unhappy or deluded is taking the biscuit. :)

No worries. Have another on me. (y)

Voting for the green LibDems is not a tactical vote, but a wasted vote (y)

It depends on the seat. It will be determined nearer the time.

Switch your lights on dear fellow.

What's this I hear about Liverpool prisons not fit for 2 star rating? First Carillion and now this. What's happening to the country?

I can't wait for you to start telling me how Italy will be leaving the EU next and that will sort out our prisons up and down the country :cheesy:

You know millions wouldn't but I believe in you CV. I share your dreams sometimes like when I have one too many Heinekens... :cheers::cheers:

Have a g8 w/e. Best evarrrr!!! :)

It depends on the seat. It will be determined nearer the time.

Switch your lights on dear fellow.

What's this I hear about Liverpool prisons not fit for 2 star rating? First Carillion and now this. What's happening to the country?

I can't wait for you to start telling me how Italy will be leaving the EU next and that will sort out our prisons up and down the country :cheesy:

You know millions wouldn't but I believe in you CV. I share your dreams sometimes like when I have one too many Heinekens... :cheers::cheers:

Have a g8 w/e. Best evarrrr!!! :)

Oh you definitely don't want to get on to prisons, more specifically prison population mix.

Not only do EU nationals like to come over here for the benefits, the jobs, the free NHS, the housing, the schools, but it seems they like our prisons too! Rather disproportionately so.

Now, I wonder why we voted Brexit.

Attachments

• SN04334.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 131
From what I can see Brexit and this government seem to go from worse to worse: what should have been an opportunity is starting to look like something much less, with the added prospect of a Marxist replacement regime to take us back to the 1970s looking more and more likely. This article points the finger and sums it up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/21/seen-enough-know-theresa-may-cant-change-must-go/

Aye, that sums it up alright :(. Led by a gang of second-raters who don’t look as though they could negotiate out of a paper bag so far. Nobody under 40 will have experienced the havoc wrought by those left wing policies that are superficially attractive.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Live with incompetence or with the hard left and their brutal intolerance.

Like I was saying.

The choice will be between a hyped up Corbyn or a well organised Tory party under Mogg. May is a total disaster and needs to be replaced pronto before she does any more damage.

If the Tories get their act together and put the right man in the top job, then the demolition job on Labour can begin.

Attachments

• next pm.PNG
    next pm.PNG
    53.3 KB · Views: 96
Cabinet is split.

Parties are split.

Country is divided.

Difficult to govern. There is not much honour or integrity left in politicians.

The media is also split and severely biased. A lot of daily trash about.

There is very little true debate and with fake news and experts who all have vested interests leaves the country in a pickle.

No worries, we have Govey and Boris. Great performers they'll save us. New leaders in waiting. Or then there is Leadsom, a new Maggie Thatcher, according to some. Theresa May turned out to be a fake Maggie Thatcher. version 2.

No worries. We have Leadsom in waiting - Maggie Thatcher V3. :whistling

Cabinet is split.

Parties are split.

Country is divided.

Difficult to govern. There is not much honour or integrity left in politicians.

There is very little true debate and with fake news and experts who all have vested interests leaves the country in a pickle.

No worries, we have Govey and Boris. Great performers they'll save us. New leaders in waiting. Or then there is Leadsom, a new Maggie Thatcher, according to some. Theresa May turned out to be a fake Maggie Thatcher. version 2.

No worries. We have Leadsom in waiting - Maggie Thatcher V3. :whistling

2 party politics, such a waste of the earths resources and fake news.

....There is not much honour or integrity left in politicians.

No worries, we have Govey and Boris. Great performers they'll save us. ....

Yes Atilla, you started all this and are personally responsible for the resultant 500+ posts…..CV has helped you along but I see you both. Atilla, despite your protestions of niceness and the many helpings of the milk of human kindness I’m sure you’re most likely a closet Stalinist and probably not averse to the odd Gulag; meanwhile CV comes across as a Fascist executioner with a predilection for cruel and unnatural punishments but is actually a retired curate without a malicious bone in his body. Anyway, it’s all fun...but just not the laughing kind. Well, not entirely true, I have been very entertained

Reading back through it all though, is overall a fairly disheartening experience for reasons anchored in both the minutiae of current affairs and human nature:

IMHO your first serious gaffe is in the framing of the title: Brexit and the consequences – this is a journo header and in the profession (to which I used to belong) it’s about making it look as if there IS a specific and clearly definable set of answers to the question when actually, if the question was put slightly differently it’d be worth all of 3 short paras scribbled down over a hastily swallowed and utterly disgusting office coffee.

Then again, you could have left out the “sequences” bit of the thread title and it would have made all the difference - the lies, deceit and consistently disingenuous behaviour and attitude of the politicos that got the UK into the EU and are now getting it out, would make for a fine investigative tome. It’s a pity that a lot of these b&stards are now dead, out of office, scarpered or knighted as that leaves us in the position of the Nazi-hunters. If there are no war crims left alive to hunt down / they’ve managed to reinvent themselves as South American guinea-pig breeders / have very publicly seen the light and are suitably contrite, then the Foundation shuts its doors and we have to find some other band of sinners to hunt and noble cause to follow.

So, we’re left with talking about what will be, rather than seeking out and punishing those who are responsible for what is. The consequences of Brexit are endless, the fattest and longest of all tails - “This one will run and run” but trying to narrow it down and pick out the juiciest cherries and the really stinking turds is a waste of time – there will be latrines full of the latter anyway. We’re dealing with the future so let’s try and stay within the realms of the vaguely possible.

What is happening now will continue to happen and if we look back at history both modern and more ancient, the road travelled is as clear as it’s obvious that Cameron, Boris or Corbin (and the list goes on and on...and on) are / were not wise choices as leaders of anything except the local tiddlywinks club and even that I'd argue with.

The Brexit equation is as about as far from binomial as one can get. There is no black or white, good or evil or whatever and a reductive approach ad absurdum just makes both sides ridiculous. In short, lots of things will be better, lots of things will be worse – and very probably indeed, a great many of those things will be just changing places. In the meantime we’re all trying to guess which particular set of circumstances is going to lead to a particular set of results – this is an utter waste of time and effort. The best anyone can do is look at what’s happening generally and what has gone before, also generally and then, if we’re lucky, make a vague projection that’s not complete fantasy.

In case I’ve given anyone the impression that I’m a “Remainer” : Nah! Remain with things as they were /are is as illogical as leaving because of them. Belonging to a club which doesn’t really want you as a member with whose rules you don’t agree is an exercise in futility but deciding not to play at all without negotiating is just ludicrous. Monstrous Maggie fought the UK corner and got better deals out of mebership – the Europeans didn’t like her but they respected her position and her abilities; she did a lot of harm but in that case, she did OK and the current bunch now just throw that all away! With Brexit, it’s not just the baby that’s being slung out with the bathwater but the taps, bath and most of the house; the process openly and proudly sh1ts on anything that Britain ever did get out of membership. Needless to say, the attitude towards all this across the Channel is mostly mild irritation and amusement – along the lines of “If you insist on leaving your place empty and moving to Tierra del Fuego for the forseeable future then you won’t be too surprised or disappointed when we move in and shortly forget you ever existed.” ...and then, guess what? We come over all indignant and surprised. There’s definitely no overstimating people’s stupidity and especially so when they’ve been elected.

As for migrants, identity and culture. I disagree completely that these are not factors – if people think that these are the issues of Brexit then they are the issues of Brexit. It’s not what is true, it’s what people believe even if it’s mostly obvious nonsense and lies. When things turn out to be worse, then they will think something else because the situation will have changed…. Mr D among them:)

Britain was a European entity for a long time before and during and since the advent of nation states. The English have had their own perceived and “special” identity for many centuries. This identity and our position relative to the rest of Europe and the world has changed with the ebb and flow of mercantile, military and political power. What has happened has resulted in what is happening and that, grasshopper, is going to determine what will happen. That road led here and it goes ever on. Britain had its day in the sun with an Empire that set very rapidly and part of the current problem is that there are still enough people alive today with personal or inherited memories of past glories. The UK stopped really mattering on the world stage at the end of the second war – that many many people think it mattered even after and does still in 2018 is merely a collective delusion. Ours (yes, I too, claim part-ownership) is a small insignificant island populated by mongrels. The glorious past is a load of ephemeral bolleaux. UK military power is laughable, our political influence is today bordering on the insignificant and the only reason why the City of London employed hundreds of thousands of people in a massive financial hub is pure inertia – it used to make sense, so it didn’t make sense to leave...but now it doesn’t make much sense to stay, so the banks and institutions are already leaving. The UK is Iceland...only without the fish. What’s not to understand?

Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not just Carillion. The whole privatisation myth has been exposed

The era of “private good, public bad” is drawing to a close. Unshakeable faith in Margaret Thatcher’s privatisation creed is being killed off not just by counter-ideology, but by the sheer irrationality, expense and failure of so many private contracts

Add private rail in there too. 4 x more expensive and subsidised by Government.

Privatised profits and public debt is the new norm +++ Fat Cat Profits for abysmal performance.

Yep we are ready to leave the EU and take on the World! What a joke!

I hear the NHS on the news. Everybody is talking about lack of funding and not one person has quoted NHS tourists being the cause. Surely, they should stop foreign elements from abusing system so it will free up resources to deal with the elderly. I hear Boris is going to wade into argument about how 450m a week now will be made available to NHS, only if we could simply leave the EU and stop funding those crooked and inefficient damn pesky Europeans.

Thank goodness we have the Tories and UKIP to help sort out our problems!!!

(y)