Brexit and the Consequences

I did not hear whether the meeting between the Conservatives and DUP had resulted in an agreement, or not. I thought that the Queen's Speech had been delayed for that reason.

Last edited:
I did not hear whether the meeting between the Conservatives and DUP had resulted in an agreement, or not. I thought that the Queen's Speech had been delayed for that reason.
Hi Split',
Talks with the DUP were 'behind closed doors'. Rumours of the deal done include repealing civil partnerships and making homosexuality illegal with a min' 10 year prison sentence if caught. Ditto for abortions. But the thing that will really upset most people is no Sunday opening for supermarkets so, when the weather's a bit toastie like it is now (same temp' as Barca would you believe!), we can't nip into Tesco's to buy a disposable BBQ, some sausages and a slab of wife beater. Not good, not good at all.
Tim.

Hi Split',
Talks with the DUP were 'behind closed doors'. Rumours of the deal done include repealing civil partnerships and making homosexuality illegal with a min' 10 year prison sentence if caught. Ditto for abortions. But the thing that will really upset most people is no Sunday opening for supermarkets so, when the weather's a bit toastie like it is now (same temp' as Barca would you believe!), we can't nip into Tesco's to buy a disposable BBQ, some sausages and a slab of wife beater. Not good, not good at all.
Tim.

Thanks, Tim. I've got used to the fact that the UK will leave EU. I do wish that UK had a better leadership, though. It deserves that much. Nothing said about cross border movement with Eire? In that respect, IMO, Ulster is more important, even, than Scotland.

Warm enough for you? My UK BIL, who never comes here in the summer, because of the heat, is thoroughly miserable in London!

I heard that they would start on Thursday---the important part, I mean. At present, they are saying Hallo to each other.

I heard that they would start on Thursday---the important part, I mean. At present, they are saying Hallo to each other.

Yes, they are spending the first two days negotiating the correct term to use in greeting each other.

Ah, OK so it'll start proper on Thursday.
So I guess the first issue will be David Davis's "Row of the Summer" as he calls it. His central demand for the two strands of the negotiations to be staged in parallel trade terms and the divorce bill. I guess as David Davis has hinted at already this part will take up a lot of the initial negotiation time.

Yes, they are spending the first two days negotiating the correct term to use in greeting each other.

Well yes, anything but get on with the business in hand. The EU wine cellar is fully stocked, they might as well continue abusing their office for as long as it lasts.

One thing that is pissing people off, over here, and I don't mean only Brussels. is the constant sniping that's coming across the Channel.

It seems to be the only thing you are capable of doing. The UK is in such a mess at home that the last thing the country needs is an unsuccessful outcome to these trade talks.

One thing that is pissing people off, over here, and I don't mean only Brussels. is the constant sniping that's coming across the Channel.

It seems to be the only thing you are capable of doing. The UK is in such a mess at home that the last thing the country needs is an unsuccessful outcome to these trade talks.

Pardon me!

Europe is in a far bigger mess, most people have no idea just how big. :rolleyes:

...that it's in a bigger mess or that people have no idea how big? :)

BTW, I'm with CV on this... whichever animal is making the manure it's still manure.

Bigger mess than what?

People have no idea how big but you do so don't keep it in old boy do tell.

Better out than in as Brexiters like to say so much ;)

Does anyone know how the negotiations are going?

Ah, OK so it'll start proper on Thursday.
So I guess the first issue will be David Davis's "Row of the Summer" as he calls it. His central demand for the two strands of the negotiations to be staged in parallel trade terms and the divorce bill. I guess as David Davis has hinted at already this part will take up a lot of the initial negotiation time.

Oops! my bad, it was already sorted out on Monday at the beginning of the talks. :LOL: Just found this in the news.-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7798076.html

Britain caved in to the EU on the opening day of the Brexit talks, when it agreed to settle its “divorce” before trying to negotiate a future trade deal.

In a major defeat, Brexit Secretary for the two strands of the negotiations to be staged in parallel, David Davis was forced to drop his central demand within hours of arriving in Brussels.

Last month, Mr Davis vowed to wage the “row of the summer” to secure immediate talks on a free trade agreement – predicting an early collapse if the EU refused to give way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rees-caves-in-before-trade-deal-a7798076.html

Oops! my bad, it was already sorted out on Monday at the beginning of the talks. :LOL: Just found this in the news.-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7798076.html

Britain caved in to the EU on the opening day of the Brexit talks, when it agreed to settle its “divorce” before trying to negotiate a future trade deal.

In a major defeat, Brexit Secretary for the two strands of the negotiations to be staged in parallel, David Davis was forced to drop his central demand within hours of arriving in Brussels.

Last month, Mr Davis vowed to wage the “row of the summer” to secure immediate talks on a free trade agreement – predicting an early collapse if the EU refused to give way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rees-caves-in-before-trade-deal-a7798076.html

Do the silly sods who write these column inches actually believe any of this point scoring counts for anything :LOL:

If there is to be any kind of deal, it will need to be all encompassing, otherwise there simply is no deal. Now when we think about trying to get agreement between 27 member countries, the EU, the UK etc, then a good example to contrast/ compare might be a meeting of OPEC. As Paul Tudor Jones once said, getting all the members of OPEC to agree a deal is highly unlikely and of course, he would be positioned accordingly.

This is the scale of the challenge in this negotiation. The chances of everyone reaching a concensus on everything is highly unlikely.

As for the so called "divorce bill" , this is the reason why I will be petitioning the govt for the UK share of EU assets to be included in any negotiation.

Do the silly sods who write these column inches actually believe any of this point scoring counts for anything :LOL:

If there is to be any kind of deal, it will need to be all encompassing, otherwise there simply is no deal. Now when we think about trying to get agreement between 27 member countries, the EU, the UK etc, then a good example to contrast/ compare might be a meeting of OPEC. As Paul Tudor Jones once said, getting all the members of OPEC to agree a deal is highly unlikely and of course, he would be positioned accordingly.

This is the scale of the challenge in this negotiation. The chances of everyone reaching a concensus on everything is highly unlikely.

As for the so called "divorce bill" , this is the reason why I will be petitioning the govt for the UK share of EU assets to be included in any negotiation.

The only person I see point scoring CV is you! No facts or numbers just full of SBites. OPEC is a walk in the park compared to Brexit.

Brexit's Repeal Bill, No Longer 'Great' But Vital: QuickTake Q&A

Take back control you say? Doesn't sound like it. :rolleyes:

The Repeal Bill being introduced by U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May -- downgraded from The “Great” Repeal Bill -- will be seen as a milestone in Britain’s ongoing departure from the European Union. But many months of work -- and no shortage of additional legislating -- are still ahead before Brexit is a reality. And it will not be as straightforward as the prime minister imagined when she announced it in October last year.

1. What will the Repeal Bill do?

It will repeal the European Communities Act of 1972, which gave effect and priority to EU law in the U.K. It signifies that the British are taking control of their legal destiny. At the same time, the bill will graft EU statutes into British law books, maintaining the status quo.

2. What does that accomplish?

The two-year time frame for Brexit makes it impossible to replace all EU law with new domestic legislation. The hope is that by adopting EU laws for now, the U.K. will reassure companies and investors that nothing will change precipitously during the Brexit process, “maximising certainty for individuals and businesses,” May’s office said in a briefing. Future governments will then be able to “amend, repeal and improve any law it chooses,” subject to international treaty obligations, May has said. This bit still sounds like we will not be able to have total control imo.

3. How many laws are we talking about?

The Brexit Department estimates that the government will need to pass 800 to 1,000 statutory instruments to correct EU law after Brexit. There are 5,155 regulations and 899 directives among almost 19,000 pieces of EU-related legislation currently in force, according to the House of Commons library. EU regulations, which automatically become law in member states, will cease to apply upon repeal of the European Communities Act. Directives are catalysts for home-grown laws, implemented and enforced by member states as they see fit.

One to look out for here and this would be a MEGA embarrassment is what happens if the EU changes one those laws we've drafted into UK law. Will Parliament then in order to keep in step with EU change that same law in the UK? Think about it 1000s of laws, regulations and directives. That'll not be funny at all. It'll be one big mega constitutional joke.

4. Isn’t that a lot?

Yes, and the number was a bone of contention during the referendum, prompting the Leave campaign’s successful slogan offering voters the chance to “take back control." The House of Commons library estimates that 13.2 percent of U.K. laws enacted between 1993 and 2004 were related to the EU. As a result the repeal will be one of the largest legislative projects ever undertaken in Britain.

5. Will EU laws be copied exactly into U.K. law?

Rupert Harrison, who advised former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne, called the exercise the "Great Copy and Paste Bill" when it was first announced. But in sections where EU legislation refers to European regulatory bodies, British ministers must change the wording and identify appropriate U.K. bodies to take on those roles. Lot's of work and bed time reading for the lawyers then. They always make money.

6. So how will the government accommodate that?

The government plans to award ministers the ability -- sometimes known as Henry VIII powers after the Tudor monarch -- to change laws without consulting Parliament. May’s office says these powers will be time-limited.

7. Will Parliament put up with that?

This is where things could get sticky. Opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn said before the election that his Labour Party is “not going to sit there and hand over powers to this government" to "override democracy and just set down a series of diktats on what’s going to happen in the future.” With the Scottish National Party in no mood to facilitate Brexit, and May relying on votes from Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionists, a small rebellion by her fellow Conservatives could upend this part of the plan.

8. What happens when the U.K. and EU have different rules?

For many companies that trade with the EU, it may prove easiest to comply with EU regulations in order to allow their goods to be sold across the bloc.
9. Are some rules viewed as off-limits to changes?

May has promised to build on EU protections for working people, which include paid holidays, health and safety at work and maternity leave. “Let me be absolutely clear: existing workers’ legal rights will continue to be guaranteed in law -- and they will be guaranteed as long as I am prime minister,” May said in October. Her phrasing was seen as significant, as it wouldn’t bind her successor to follow her pledge.

Has anyone seen or heard from Faragaga boyo? Man with big gob, big heart and a big head ;)