Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

agree with lee shepard i started the thread "stop loss why" and got all negative feedback but i use the exact same principles and am still sat on posistions way lower down and added to them on the fste but comfortable that i am not over leveridge and the drop will start soon

At 7500 I enter with £25pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 300pts or £7.5k
At 7600 I enter with £50pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 200pts or £10k
At 7700 I enter with £100pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 100pts or £10k
At 7800 I enter with £200pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 10-20pts or £2k to £4k

Lee

AhI Now you're talking about something slightly different. In essence your trade rationale is that DAX will retreat somewhere between 7500 and 7800 and with a final stop at 7820 you are prepared to risk £31.5k on that rationale in the ultimate.

Your return needs to be commensurate with that and your expectation of such trades working out. Difficult, if your first trade is on the button unless you use additions to winners - which I suspect you do.

That's all very different from a trade rationale that says Dax will retreat somewhere between 7500 and 7550 which you let go to 7600 and then double up even though the rationale for the trade is well broken by that time. That'd just be a "hope" thing with no clear money management in place.

Cheers

jon

Here is my 2p regarding longer term trades.

I believe that some general patterns exist within the markets (even if just based on high probability). These patterns are not absolute but relative to the current price levels, so there is a continuous adjustment. What I'm aiming to do is to position myself so that my profitable planned exit price is kept within the pattern. This might mean adding to losses, too. For example: buy @ 7500 with target of 7550. Once the pattern is adjusted and target moves down (can be several days later), e.g. to 7470, I will buy more at a price that would give me profit @ 7470. Sooner or later, target is hit - patience is key here. In such systems stop loss in itself can be very inefficient as it severely limits profits.

I do some scalping as well, only if I'm not too busy at work. Here, experience tells me that stop losses are needed and helpful.

What works for me might not work for you, though !

For Gold, is this based on the application of the Taylor Technique.

For the "initial grind" any opinion for the time period?

Thank you.

all my trading is based on this

time period for grind would put it early March

personally I dont use fixed stops as such, not many traders do, there are better ways to hedge your positions and minimise your downside.

knowing when a trade isnt going to work and "accepting it" then getting out is the sign of a good trader

dollar index at support
60 min data
it has stay above 80 for dollar strength...imho
2h846y9.gif

dxy below 80 and we could get a decent stock rally
means that dollar breakout from new year was a fake
earnings season starts soon and us trade balance

ftse 100 futures
4 hour data
care with longs.the latest breakout has not pulled back to test a support
red line/triple top break at 5967 area
it is vulnerable...more so than us index
6 months data on this chart
supp is 6000 and above or if that breaks then down to 5940 area
imho

2uokh7o.gif

Last edited:
well here we go 2 index looking at opposite moves Barjon should have a field day or two

Firstly FTSE target high 6098 down to 6040 an early 6040 would signal a long FTSE and a late short on the DOW

DOW target low for the long 13288 although a turn at 13308 could be signaled after the US open no upper target for DOW yet but would expect it to signal a 13510

these are all two day trades

mornin' all

ftse traded +40 strong vs dow on Friday (all one way) then -10 weak yesterday (-22 weak up to 13:00, then +21 strong over next two hours, then -9 weak into close). Today it's about +20 strong as we speak.

Malcyd - VIX is the ticker symbol for the Chicago Board Options Exchange Market Volatility Index, a popular measure of the implied volatility

Last edited: