Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

The Fed has also completely altered the relationship between stocks and bonds by nurturing an environment of ever deeper negative real interest rates. Therein lies the rub. The economy and earnings are weak, and getting weaker, but the Interest rate used to discount the future earnings stream keeps getting more and more negative, and that lowers the corporate cost of capital and in turn raises the present value of expected future profits. It’s that simple.

http://advisoranalyst.com/glablog/2012/12/26/david-rosenberg-35-charts-for-2013/

well i wouldn't like to cross her that's for sure .....she says the US can't increase interest rates ever!...wow ...she also talk about execution :eek:

Politicians are in the process of trying to dis-arm people like Ann Barnhardt. I would want her to have all the weapons she needs.

yes, when they ran the bretton woods system, they had a formula for pricing gold based on monetary base, what is the cost of production for gold? I have some experts I follow and they have huge upside targets for gold.

the demand for gold from india and china is huge

there is a top market technician called louise yamada she recently wrote about gold on kingworldnews

My Blog

Thanks SD, interesting analysis

My opinion is that silver will outperform gold in 2013

Also I read an article some time ago that the best way to play it is by hedging with the actual producers.

Hi Guys

Out in country Australia, bloody hot, over 40 degrees.
Thought the FED was the highlight of the week.
http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/files/fomcminutes20120125.pdf
Some concern over the balance sheet, that would mean stopping Q.E some time this year.
Would mean a higher US dollar and lower commodity prices, that would mean lower indices, trying to get the exact time is very hard.
Been long all week on the ASX and any dips in ASX, FTSE and DOW should be well supported until first 1/4 earnings (Feb/Mar time).

I like this lady! but whats with the tie

personally Im a gold and silver fan, in gold I will be looking for an initial grind to 1800 then a jump to 2100 then 2400 and I mean a jump

paper is only good if you can cash it in

I like this lady! but whats with the tie

personally Im a gold and silver fan, in gold I will be looking for an initial grind to 1800 then a jump to 2100 then 2400 and I mean a jump

paper is only good if you can cash it in

For Gold, is this based on the application of the Taylor Technique.

For the "initial grind" any opinion for the time period?

Thank you.

trading non farm payrolls last friday
dollar index/1 minute data
tracking the price in the uptrend from wednesday / fomc
the uptrend remained intact until nfp release
looking for a breakdown as it was a fierce uptrend...gft saying on twitter that it needed over 200k to maintain the dollar uptrend
sure enough we got the breakdown
dollar crosses rallied.also stock index

25i534m.gif

I got asked a great couple of questions by someone who I wont mention unless they wish to say so via a personal message. Being some great questions I replied with the following - it may be of useful reading for some others that are interested. You'll be able to guess what the questions were by the responses.

I done a great journal in 2008 that followed my every trade regarding long and short positions, you can find this on the internet by searching for Lee Shepherd Trading diary. The diary was originally only to run for 6 months but due to not having any losses during this time was run for a few months more as to detail a very important part of trading. It also detailed a thorough section on 'How to handle the losses' which is pertinent to your questions.

Contrary to peoples beliefs - Exiting a trade is MORE important than the entry. The reason is clear and obvious. Should a bad trader get a good entry could easily see a good profit turn into a breakeven trade or worse still let it run into a loss, they could also even cut it short as to not let the profits run.
A good trader can get a bad entry and identify this immediately and be able to exit with minimal loss.

In relation to moving stops. You are right in what you say that the general consensus is to never move these, however, more to the point is 'Why not'.

As a trader one has to make up their mind whether using short time frames or long on where to exit at any given moment. In principle this means that you will witness many people having stops at say - 10 pts but yet come out with a loss of only 4pts etc - why do these people close early. It is not a crime to move stops based on the moment in time and what you see fit.

For example i am still in my short dax trades and have added to this 'losing' position. NOTE: It is only actually a losing position once you have closed out. By adding to the trade I am greatly raising my breakeven level whilst at the same time adding to potential further losses or gains.

Again a double edged sword.

Here's a further example of client sentiment:

If I buy a car today worth £3k but its true value is more near 4k then this is a good deal, should I plan to sell at this price I make 1k profit, BUT.....The next day people are selling the same car for 2k and thus my car value is what the market will pay for it. Here's the thing - If it was a good deal at 3k then 2k is even better, I will buy another one bringing my average sell price now to 2.5k to breakeven. Again should people be selling cars even cheaper I will buy some more. This is simple supply and demand based on client sentiment.

Always remember the markets are not real - they are just an opinion.

All the best,

Lee Shepherd

...........Contrary to peoples beliefs - Exiting a trade is MORE important than the entry.............

....... NOTE: It is only actually a losing position once you have closed out...........

Lee

Agree with the first - not the second. You've only to look at your account to know that you've lost the use of the money whether or not you've "formally" closed the thing out.

The trouble with adding to losing positions - assuming the rationale for the trade is no longer there - is that it seems to work. Except for the occasion - and you only need one - when it doesn't and your losses accelerate at the increased rate until you cry uncle and view with horror the remnants of your account.

Far better, imo, to be out and enter again further down (up) with a "new" trade when and if your methodology indicates you should do so.

jon

I got asked a great couple of questions by someone who I wont mention unless they wish to say so via a personal message. Being some great questions I replied with the following - it may be of useful reading for some others that are interested. You'll be able to guess what the questions were by the responses.

I done a great journal in 2008 that followed my every trade regarding long and short positions, you can find this on the internet by searching for Lee Shepherd Trading diary. The diary was originally only to run for 6 months but due to not having any losses during this time was run for a few months more as to detail a very important part of trading. It also detailed a thorough section on 'How to handle the losses' which is pertinent to your questions.

Contrary to peoples beliefs - Exiting a trade is MORE important than the entry. The reason is clear and obvious. Should a bad trader get a good entry could easily see a good profit turn into a breakeven trade or worse still let it run into a loss, they could also even cut it short as to not let the profits run.
A good trader can get a bad entry and identify this immediately and be able to exit with minimal loss.

In relation to moving stops. You are right in what you say that the general consensus is to never move these, however, more to the point is 'Why not'.

As a trader one has to make up their mind whether using short time frames or long on where to exit at any given moment. In principle this means that you will witness many people having stops at say - 10 pts but yet come out with a loss of only 4pts etc - why do these people close early. It is not a crime to move stops based on the moment in time and what you see fit.

For example i am still in my short dax trades and have added to this 'losing' position. NOTE: It is only actually a losing position once you have closed out. By adding to the trade I am greatly raising my breakeven level whilst at the same time adding to potential further losses or gains.

Again a double edged sword.

Here's a further example of client sentiment:

If I buy a car today worth £3k but its true value is more near 4k then this is a good deal, should I plan to sell at this price I make 1k profit, BUT.....The next day people are selling the same car for 2k and thus my car value is what the market will pay for it. Here's the thing - If it was a good deal at 3k then 2k is even better, I will buy another one bringing my average sell price now to 2.5k to breakeven. Again should people be selling cars even cheaper I will buy some more. This is simple supply and demand based on client sentiment.

Always remember the markets are not real - they are just an opinion.

All the best,

Lee Shepherd

The above could be incorporated within or distilled from:
Fooled by Randomness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prosperous 2013 to all my readers:):love:

Lee

Agree with the first - not the second. You've only to look at your account to know that you've lost the use of the money whether or not you've "formally" closed the thing out.

The trouble with adding to losing positions - assuming the rationale for the trade is no longer there - is that it seems to work. Except for the occasion - and you only need one - when it doesn't and your losses accelerate at the increased rate until you cry uncle and view with horror the remnants of your account.

Far better, imo, to be out and enter again further down (up) with a "new" trade when and if your methodology indicates you should do so.

jon

Hello Jon,

Hope you had a great weekend.

Although I (in part) agree with you not agreeing with me - does that make sense.:LOL:

My trading style would need to be looked at further for it to be understood so i'll post a little here to see if it makes sense.

As a long term trader I understand fully that I will rarely get the entry right - just as a scalper or day trader may be off by a few points or minutes, a longer term trader can be off by a few hundred points or days/weeks - hedge funds, managed accounts etc, in other words I have an overbought level on dax (for example) of 7500. So....At this level I will enter....But.....Understanding that I will rarely pick the tops (or bottoms) will chip in and out of trades. This also helps with orders being executed instantly with no messing around with fills. So.....I plan to trade up and down catching ranges of 100pts. Therefore I put a limit on at 7800 for a final stop (although this can be adjusted up or down depending on other relevant factors)

So the plan would be: Short dax at 7500 and short further at intervals at 7600, 7700 and finally 7800. Again on the way down or retracements and even if the final contract does not pay out, the range in most cases over the period of the trades will in most cases be paid for by the highest one. The markets always have retracements/pullbacks of some kind including resistance/support areas. The markets will also range/consolidate more than trend at a rate of many times.

This is farely obvious as the major indices have ranged between (FTSE 100 EXAMPLE) 3500 and 6800 over the last 14 odd years. The mean would be 5150. Over the last decade should you have sold above this level and bought below you would have always made money on EVERY contract - less comms/roll over charges but these are and should be minimal depending on your broker. The range trades would have certainly of paid for these costs.

I now hear people screaming and shouting - If its that easy why haven't you done it. The answer is I have. I also still hear people doubting this cannot be true or simply that easy. I say why not. The charts and info are all there for you and I to see. It really is that easy but as people we deviate and become fearful or greedy. My advice is switch off CNBC and Bloomberg and any other medium, use your head and keep it free from clutter.

I wont go into the exact money management here and amount that goes into these particular trades but I shall provide an example:

At 7500 I enter with £25pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 300pts or £7.5k
At 7600 I enter with £50pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 200pts or £10k
At 7700 I enter with £100pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 100pts or £10k
At 7800 I enter with £200pp - Maximum loss would be a matter of 10-20pts or £2k to £4k

Also: I may only get 1 or 2 opportunities a year for these swings and those particular groups of trades may last several months chipping in and out.

The gain in the opposite direction and bear in mind that big gains can become big losses or what goes up will go down etc. The top side is that should the upper level be breached then many thousands would be made to the tune of £20k for the last deal to retrace by 100pts. This amount within itself is enough to right down trade 1, 2 and 3 by 70%. If it retraces to trade 3 then the deal would be in profit and the other 2 would not need to come true and could be closed for a loss, the net would be a gain on the whole trade and over the time period.

NOTE: Ignore the 'big' figures that most on here will either bulk at or disbelieve. This can be scaled down or up depending on the account size and is displayed as an example only.

Things this post hasn't gone into is the actual percentages and including the money management for which is absolute key. It also does not touch on the aspect of dax ratio, trends, retracement values etc - Although most who trade dax on a long time frame will be familiar with its typical MA on a day, week, month and year.

Before criticism becomes a problem I will state now that my trading style has attributes of(but is not exclusive or limited to) flick a coin theory, Double up and averaging. It is also backed up and complimented by TA and FA.

Everyone has their own styles for which I have learnt to respect them all, even Spanish 89 style that for some will remember. Crazy blow up high risk style but yet he ended up taking money from the markets - at the end of the day thats what its all about. By no means is mine any more complicated than the next, quite the contrary and is a very simple and easy way of trading. I have many sheets and tools that I have had developed throughout the years that do the sums. I just put in the figures and if it stacks up then I play the game win or lose, the outcome is then up to me and the other players.

NOTE: That last statement is not me controlling the market but instead, controlling my trades.

PS: How I trade goes against all the basic principles and here is some on the list:

Do not add to a losing trade - Contradicted as most pro traders and funds managers will keep buying up the market

Keep your losses small - again contradicted by the above

Do not double up - again as above..... and so.

In this game we will find much that actually contradicts what the pro's say but yet not necessarily what they do. It goes along the lines of do as I say and not what I do. Is this how they make their money???? I'll leave that one with you.

PS: I think I need to shorten my posts. No one reads posts on here if they go over 2 sentences.:LOL:

Have a good week,

Lee Shepherd

Couple of things I may add

- you can average in this way but therefore it is important to manage position size and money management. Many people have a lot of conviction in their trade ....perhaps a little too much and get in to the trade with a relatively big position size than their account can afford. Obviously they dont have much space left to average and if they do indeed add to the losing positions most likely it will just makes the matters worse forcing them to close at worst time with accelerated losses. Thats where trading truly becomes gambling.

- also it is a double edged sword as you have said. e.g. DAX may start falling from here but may not reach the break even and start moving up again albeit temporarily. In that case one should offload at least the new positions not waiting for even newly taken positions turn red.

In the end like sports at highest level it is 95% temperament and 5% skills / techniques. A manageable position size / leverage gives one a distinct benefit to be able think clear in adverse situations. In that sense entry is very very critical - not so much about where but how big.

what I notice whenever you post trades they are of reasonable size and not ridiculous sizes some other so called successful traders seem to be posting on twitter etc. Index futures can move very fast and even a £5 per point position can cause severe damage.

To summarise "leverage kills" and most people lose with leverage. But it takes years to sink that in. Till then people keep topping up amassing irreversible damage to the account and own psychology.

Hi Samirs,

Leverage does not have to kill and is used successfully by many people the world over. That sword is in the hands of the person swinging around their cash.

Mortgages are buying houses on margin, same as any credit and so on. Some go bust whilst most don't. Leverage needs to be heavily controlled and very much respected and understood. This is where most go wrong in life.

Lee