Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

ftse being dragged up kicking and screaming - prepare for panic if 15:00 reversal strikes

well it trying but no coconut yet - no panic and it looks as though you canny guys were just anticipating a bit of dow pop and drop. Reversal try on the button tho.

Sidekicker

Doesn;t seem like there's much chance to get into these arbitrages - they move quickly?!
Presumably 2 FTSE:1 DOW size ratio?

Can't get to the reply button you've filled up the screen!!

More than you might think. Here's the ftse differences so far this January.

Sorry, should reduce the chart size :)
You doing that manually or through software?
I could probably model it with Yahoo finance or Metatrader but it seems like on average when you get a 20pt difference or more, it's time to arb.

...maybe not panic but certainly twitching nervously - ftse 'bout 8 weak from 15:00

Sorry, should reduce the chart size :)
You doing that manually or through software?
I could probably model it with Yahoo finance or Metatrader but it seems like on average when you get a 20pt difference or more, it's time to arb.

manual - i'm using 25 - 30 to be interested atm, then wait for the turn, or one of the ftse reversal times. Before Christmas it was 40 - 50.

At the risk of annoying by continuing this off-topic discussion (but I did talk about the straight 15:00 reversal trade as well :LOL:) today was interesting so far as ftse/dow was concerned.

ftse opened -30 weak - ie: 30 points lower than if had kept pace with dow from yesterday's ftse (cash) close

it then traded +32 strong over the next three hours

followed by -22 weak over the next four

then strong from there into the close by +12

that strength has continued after the close by a further +6 as I write

ps: amended figures, got + and - mixed up!!

At the risk of annoying by continuing this off-topic discussion (but I did talk about the straight 15:00 reversal trade as well :LOL:) today was interesting so far as ftse/dow was concerned.

ftse opened -30 weak - ie: 30 points lower than if had kept pace with dow from yesterday's ftse (cash) close

it then traded +32 strong over the next three hours

followed by -22 weak over the next four

then strong from there into the close by +12

that strength has continued after the close by a further +6 as I write

ps: amended figures, got + and - mixed up!!

hey bj this 15:00 reversal might just have an edge... i just checked back the last 4 days and and each one looks good to trade... maybe someone could do a back test or something there might be something in it...i have no idea how to do this....don't really understand your calcs but maybe we could look for +/ - strength /weakness and go scalping at 15:00 it would be worth keeping the results for a while just to if it takes a pattern ...maybe martin could include it in his system as the wild card:)

hey bj this 15:00 reversal might just have an edge... i just checked back the last 4 days and and each one looks good to trade... maybe someone could do a back test or something there might be something in it...i have no idea how to do this....don't really understand your calcs but maybe we could look for +/ - strength /weakness and go scalping at 15:00 it would be worth keeping the results for a while just to if it takes a pattern ...maybe martin could include it in his system as the wild card:)

Ignore the calculations, DL, they are not strictly applicable to the reversal times - I just take them into account in deciding whether I'm going to dow hedge the ftse trade or not.

We've talked before about the potential reversal times for ftse - 8:30, 9:00, 10:00 and 15:00 (that stems from the dow half an hour after open equivalent to ftse 8:30) . Not always on the button, sometimes 5 min early or late, but very often some attempt although not necessarily tradeable.

You can simply play an assumption at the first sign of faltering in the previous trend (you soon know if you're wrong) or wait for something more sophisticated. I reckon assumption best because you often get a straight reversal - like 15:00 today, specially if you look at dow - without much by way of warning. If you've waited and the reversal is short lived you're in too late by waiting. That's my take anyway.

I think Martin has some reversal time stats which he posted, but I can't lay my hands on it.

jon

DL

Ah! Here it is http://www.trade2win.com/boards/uk-indices/120172-anyone-scalping-ftse-futures-504.html#post1742236 . Martin also said in another post that he hadn't researched the 15:00 time.

hadn't noticed that post 60-80% looks great but if they only produce 4-5 points it's no use to me as i use sb's and if i talk about a scalp it's usually 10points or more i try for.i was thinking the 15:00 might be more potent as the dow is open and also using other indicators like yesterday 5700 big round number today 5800 big round number elliot fifth today? fibs, volume, divergence and so on. kinda hard to back test all that i suppose but i'll certainly have 15:00 on the radar from now on.
thanks bj

Do you trade the US markets Dick?

Your always on here late.

hi reksa, no i don't trade the us it's ftse only for me but i use the us to give some clues for tomorrows market. either that or i'm addicted :) more like fascinated to be honest. you ?

s&p daily candle looks crap but don't they all over the last few days? grind grind grind:)
maybe the divergence will finally take it's toll but then again maybe not...good game
over and out

hadn't noticed that post 60-80% looks great but if they only produce 4-5 points it's no use to me as i use sb's and if i talk about a scalp it's usually 10points or more i try for.i was thinking the 15:00 might be more potent as the dow is open and also using other indicators like yesterday 5700 big round number today 5800 big round number elliot fifth today? fibs, volume, divergence and so on. kinda hard to back test all that i suppose but i'll certainly have 15:00 on the radar from now on.
thanks bj

4-5? Where you get that idea?

The 8:30s this week had roughly 16,18,61,60 (the last 2 ignored 9:00) potential (top to bottom)
The 9:00s 19, 45 L, L (last 2 since 8:30 not reversed)
The 10:00s 34,11,L,20
The 15:00s 34, 6, 64, 25

4-5? Where you get that idea?

The 8:30s this week had roughly 16,18,61,60 (the last 2 ignored 9:00) potential (top to bottom)
The 9:00s 19, 45 L, L (last 2 since 8:30 not reversed)
The 10:00s 34,11,L,20
The 15:00s 34, 6, 64, 25

ha back again. sorry bj i just have no idea about your system. i assumed ( wrongly) that it was a scalping method and my idea of scalping is 4/5 points 30 times a day. i am now totally confused with the whole thing so i'm of to bed.:sleep:
have a nice evening and maybe i can get with the beat tomorrow:)

ha back again. sorry bj i just have no idea about your system. i assumed ( wrongly) that it was a scalping method and my idea of scalping is 4/5 points 30 times a day. i am now totally confused with the whole thing so i'm of to bed.:sleep:
have a nice evening and maybe i can get with the beat tomorrow:)

Sorry to have confused, DL. I was just trying to describe the reversal potential at those times. Just keep your eye on the action around those times and see what you think.

Hope you slept well :)

jon

Sorry to have confused, DL. I was just trying to describe the reversal potential at those times. Just keep your eye on the action around those times and see what you think.

Hope you slept well :)

jon

hi bj, el thicko is back:)

have i got it right ......today 8:20 close at 5762 buy ...8:30 high 5774 potential 12 points?