Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Just remembered these gems here that explain markets pretty well:

Markk Douglas, Trading in the Zone, really excellent book everyone should have read:

1. Anything can happen, i.e., the outcome of any given trade is unknowable.

2. You don’t need to know what is going to happen next in order to make money.

3. There is a random distribution between wins and losses for any given set of variables that define an edge.

4. An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing happening over another.

5. Every moment in the market is unique.

And the theory of an auction market:

"1. An auction market's structure is continuously evolving, being revalued; future price levels are not predictable.

2. An auction market is in one of two conditions: balancing or trending.

3. Traders seek value; value is price over time; price is arrived at by negotiation between buyers and sellers.

4. Change in demand drives change in price.

5. One can expect to find support where the most substantial buying has occurred in the past and resistance where the most substantial selling has occurred."

At the end of the day I'd say that a market is really nothing more nor less than the sum of it's particpants actions driving price.

I know that people believed Moon cycles affected human behavior with police and A&E staff experiencing high levels of 'lunacy' (thats how we get the term). But despite numerous studies no correlation has ever been found.
I'll stick to my conspiracy theories ;).

I am pretty sure they do.

Jon I think that that approach definitely pays the bills, but I believe that going for homeruns too occasionaly is where th ebig money is made ?

For me, as long as per my definition of trend, eg higher highs higher lows is in place, I'll do my darnedest to stay in.

Maybe not if we're chopping all over the place, then I'll be quicker to take profits, but with nice smooth moves I'll ride the trend until it bends, which means I usually will never catch the top.

;)

I know that people believed Moon cycles affected human behavior with police and A&E staff experiencing high levels of 'lunacy' (thats how we get the term). But despite numerous studies no correlation has ever been found.
I'll stick to my conspiracy theories ;).

What I have found from years of my investigation and research that moon is very fast, it has defiantly effect on peoples psychology and attitude in a same way as moon affect tides in the sea.

However, the aggregate effect of planets on the moon and eventually on the Indices (averages) are very difficult to calculate and predict. Please note that in any indices there are companies from various sectors (mining, Banking etc...)

if someone can master that technique then ....:whistling

But on the bigger picture the time range for bigger and slow moving planets is wide and effective...and long lasting...whereas moon quick, short lived and fast...

What I have found from years of my investigation and research that moon is very fast, it has defiantly effect on peoples psychology and attitude in a same way as moon affect tides in the sea.

However, the aggregate effect of planets on the moon and eventually on the Indices (averages) are very difficult to calculate and predict. Please note that in any indices there are companies from various sectors (mining, Banking etc...)

if someone can master that technique then ....:whistling

But on the bigger picture the time range for bigger and slow moving planets is wide and effective...and long lasting...whereas moon quick, short lived and fast...

Not wishing to be rude but what your saying is, 'you believe it to be true but haven't found a way of proving it yet'.
There is no statistical evidence out there, and people HAVE tried.

Blimey, go away for an hour or two and we're up in the stars :LOL: Be using Tarot cards for entry soon.

back in the 2008 and 2009.... I was struggling to see where and when this dark tunnel ends...

I was certified technician myself...using all the tools to see long term projection...

you have to admit that no technical tools can predict the time.... they can predict only price... that too approximate accuracy if you are lucky

Jon I think that that approach definitely pays the bills, but I believe that going for homeruns too occasionaly is where th ebig money is made ?

For me, as long as per my definition of trend, eg higher highs higher lows is in place, I'll do my darnedest to stay in.

Maybe not if we're chopping all over the place, then I'll be quicker to take profits, but with nice smooth moves I'll ride the trend until it bends, which means I usually will never catch the top.

;)

I suppose what he's been saying on the thread supports my own prejudices :). The best traders I know simply aren't interested in "home runs". Without exception they all chase momentum in one way or another, leap into it as soon as they can, kill it quick if it doesn't continue and exit when it tails off. They have the odd "home run" from time to time, but only because the momentum has been unfaltering.

Not wishing to be rude but what your saying is, 'you believe it to be true but haven't found a way of proving it yet'.

does the moon affect people's behaviour ?

if yes then traders are people and may also be affected

back in the 2008 and 2009.... I was struggling to see where and when this dark tunnel ends...
I was certified technician myself...using all the tools to see long term projection...

you have to admit that no technical tools can predict the time.... they can predict only price... that too approximate accuracy if you are lucky

If the Sun shines on Uranus there will be light;)

Last edited:
does the moon affect people's behaviour ?

if yes then traders are people and may also be affected

Well there is a scientific study that shows it does not.

Owen, C.; Tarantello, C.; Jones, M.; Tennant, C. (1998). "Lunar cycles and violent behaviour". Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 32 (4): 496–499. PMID 9711362.

I am not aware of one that shows a correlation.

You are partially correct...

What I was saying about trading based on moon... which I think difficult...but if you can get it right you have edge... but slow moving planets not very difficult because it gives bigger swing cycles...

I have not traded based on this theory... but doing it now... so this will be my prove if I get it....

I do have plenty of statical evidences I have collected over many years....an exmple I posted today on market crash...