Worldspreads upgraded!

MarvinS said:
Cheers Crackp! But if we all sat in a room together it would be like a cubic mess of distortionate rubbish. Polite and anonymity never come hand in hand and Laptop1 may use the name Ahmed. (Being of the political correctt stance).
Well Marvin, I think Crackp has a point there. People have a tendency to being more rude and abusive when they have anonymity. However, that is, absolutely no excuse whatsoever. It is in fact a task of the moderator to correct this when it gets out of hand.

It is also important that members of a forum keep in mind that there is a person with real feelings, who is at the receiving end of impoliteness, and that each and everybody does his/her bit to uphold the dignity of the same.

You know I am a firm believer in treating people as I would like to be treated. If someone is not polite then they can't expect a great deal in return.

You do get a handle on people's characters from reading their posts and how they act towards others' and others' opinions.

Now how bout a group hug :cheesy:

Priceman said:
You know I am a firm believer in treating people as I would like to be treated. If someone is not polite then they can't expect a great deal in return.

You do get a handle on people's characters from reading their posts and how they act towards others' and others' opinions.

Now how bout a group hug :cheesy:
A group hug, that was a good one, ha ha!

Marvin – Thanks for your replies to some of the previous points.

To be honest I think that you will always be in a lose / lose situation as a spreadbet representative commenting on this type of message board (although Simon from Capital Spreads clearly does a terrific job). The problem is that the audience is so varied. Most authors on books about public speaking will tell you to “Know your audience”. On these boards it is so varied; some new and inexperienced, some old and experienced and some with hidden agendas. This makes ‘knowing your audience’ very tricky indeed.

There are a few points that I would like to make regarding various experiences myself and others whom I know have had happen to them whilst spreadbetting. Personally I have made a considerable amount of money through spreadbetting so statistically I apparently fit into the ‘small minority’. My winnings have come from both shorter and longer time frame speculation. In general I have never had any problems with any company with regard to longer term speculation. I often do stuff with options writing on Dow / FTSE / DAX and would generally hedge using direct access if that were required. The overall level of treatment on these instruments I would describe as ‘good’.
Unfortunately the same can not be said with regard to trading in the shorter time frame. By “shorter time frame” I mean anywhere from 10 seconds through to several hours. I have found that the spreadbetting companies hate it when you make nice gains in those time frames. It is when those gains occur that the companies will take action to mitigate their losses. Their first and indeed main weapon is good old fashion slow fills (or “dealer referrals” as you guys like to politely call it). This is generally a clear attempt by the companies to physically increase the costs of trading without increasing the advertised spreads. The truth is that any of the spreadbetting companies has the computer power to instantly execute clients trades in exactly the same way as a dealer referral (ie the computer can be programmed to carry out the same checks but in a fraction of a second). The reason why this doesn’t occur is because the spreadbet companies want, and indeed need to, introduce a significant dealing delay in order to bring about a situation which leads to a significant increase in trade rejections. Experienced traders clearly recognise what is going on when this occurs. Of course the spreadbet companies will always come back with comments about punters trading on slow prices but this is not the punters problem. The T&C of most if not all spreadbetting companies are implicit on this subject – “The client is speculating purely against the price of the company’s instrument and not against the level of any underlying market. The company retains the right to price their instrument in any manner they see fit blah blah blah”. Implicitly therefore it is down to the company to ensure that the prices quoted are as they would like them to be. Instead of banning customers why not just work at making the prices work in a manner which is appropriate for the situation. Obviously if a company provides quotes which are several seconds slow then customers looking for value (which is essentially what everyone involved in trading any market is looking for!) are going to be drawn to your particular quotes. If your wife sent you out to get her a new car you’d compare prices and buy from the garage which appeared to offer the best deal…yes? No different in spreadbetting is it.

The problem that I have found is that you can trade perfectly honestly and you’ll still be labelled by the companies. A friend of mine opened an account and I traded some Binary Bets for him. After two weeks and a couple of thousand pounds profit he was placed on ‘dealer vetting’. There can be no other reason for this action apart from the fact he was very profitable. Other friends of mine have found similar problems and the patterns are generally very similar. I’ve also traded a number of ‘grey markets’ with certain companies and again I found that they just kept moving the goalposts until such a point was reached that they are no longer prepared to quote me grey market prices. When I confronted them on the issue I was told that “You should take it as a compliment, we’re reluctant to take bets from you any more as you rarely get it wrong”. This therefore leads to a situation where it is clear that in some cases a company simply doesn’t want your business. Someone has already mentioned this fact in this thread.

To be honest I think all these comments about hedging are just a method of creating a diversion which keeps certain companies from having to publicly debate certain issues. Some of the spreadbetting companies are public companies registered in the UK and therefore have to register accounts. Some of these companies’ profits are obscene and are clearly not gained by running “a fully hedged book”. I would therefore question the comments made about all the companies having the same basic business model (in respect of a fully hedged book). I also recall some years ago that IG Index allowed a fly-on-the-wall documentary to be made about their London trading operation. It was quite an eye opener to be honest even though I already knew quite a lot about the goings on inside a spreadbetting company. Most surprising was the lack of hedging that appeared to go on. In fact I don’t recall the subject of hedging ever being raised in the programme. The company seemed to have daily meetings at board level where the financial dealing director was invited to set out the profit and loss on their main markets at that particular point in the week. In the weeks that the programme was being filmed the clients were clearly beating the company up on its market futures related products like Dow and FTSE. This however was being more than balanced out by clients who were incorrectly predicting a reversal in the London House Price market. The net result was that the company was ahead in that particular week. One of the senior dealing staff did appear to admit that morale in the dealing room dropped if customers out-fox them too often. In this particular case I think he was blaming volatility in the market which meant that bad trading habits weren’t being punished (in respect of customers bad habits ie averaging positions and running losing positions). As I already said, what struck me most was the willingness of the company to take on this ever increasing risk. They seemed to suggest that they knew it was only a matter of time before customers luck ran out.

The upshot of everything I know is that I don’t trust any of these spreadbetting companies. In order to make such large profits they take on a far bigger risk that a flat order book. Their ability to manipulate the order flow of successful customers puts them a in a position where they can not fail to make money no matter how good the short term punter is.

Steve.

Last edited:
I have invited you all out for a dinner and drinks on the 8th December near Regents Street. If you would like a group hug then....
P.M. me if you would like to attend...

I will attend if you can move it to the 9th. Also, can others who want to spend Marvin's money please raise your hands? It will be more inviting if there are people with different views there. Come on Laptop, let's go!

:)
MarvinS said:
I have invited you all out for a dinner and drinks on the 8th December near Regents Street. If you would like a group hug then....

stevespray said:
Marvin – Thanks for your replies to some of the previous points.

To be honest I think that you will always be in a lose / lose situation as a spreadbet representative commenting on this type of message board (although Simon from Capital Spreads clearly does a terrific job). The problem is that the audience is so varied. Most authors on books about public speaking will tell you to “Know your audience”. On these boards it is so varied; some new and inexperienced, some old and experienced and some with hidden agendas. This makes ‘knowing your audience’ very tricky indeed.

There are a few points that I would like to make regarding various experiences myself and others whom I know have had happen to them whilst spreadbetting. Personally I have made a considerable amount of money through spreadbetting so statistically I apparently fit into the ‘small minority’. My winnings have come from both shorter and longer time frame speculation. In general I have never had any problems with any company with regard to longer term speculation. I often do stuff with options writing on Dow / FTSE / DAX and would generally hedge using direct access if that were required. The overall level of treatment on these instruments I would describe as ‘good’.
Unfortunately the same can not be said with regard to trading in the shorter time frame. By “shorter time frame” I mean anywhere from 10 seconds through to several hours. I have found that the spreadbetting companies hate it when you make nice gains in those time frames. It is when those gains occur that the companies will take action to mitigate their losses. Their first and indeed main weapon is good old fashion slow fills (or “dealer referrals” as you guys like to politely call it). This is generally a clear attempt by the companies to physically increase the costs of trading without increasing the advertised spreads. The truth is that any of the spreadbetting companies has the computer power to instantly execute clients trades in exactly the same way as a dealer referral (ie the computer can be programmed to carry out the same checks but in a fraction of a second). The reason why this doesn’t occur is because the spreadbet companies want, and indeed need to, introduce a significant dealing delay in order to bring about a situation which leads to a significant increase in trade rejections. Experienced traders clearly recognise what is going on when this occurs. Of course the spreadbet companies will always come back with comments about punters trading on slow prices but this is not the punters problem. The T&C of most if not all spreadbetting companies are implicit on this subject – “The client is speculating purely against the price of the company’s instrument and not against the level of any underlying market. The company retains the right to price their instrument in any manner they see fit blah blah blah”. Implicitly therefore it is down to the company to ensure that the prices quoted are as they would like them to be. Instead of banning customers why not just work at making the prices work in a manner which is appropriate for the situation. Obviously if a company provides quotes which are several seconds slow then customers looking for value (which is essentially what everyone involved in trading any market is looking for!) are going to be drawn to your particular quotes. If your wife sent you out to get her a new car you’d compare prices and buy from the garage which appeared to offer the best deal…yes? No different in spreadbetting is it.

The problem that I have found is that you can trade perfectly honestly and you’ll still be labelled by the companies. A friend of mine opened an account and I traded some Binary Bets for him. After two weeks and a couple of thousand pounds profit he was placed on ‘dealer vetting’. There can be no other reason for this action apart from the fact he was very profitable. Other friends of mine have found similar problems and the patterns are generally very similar. I’ve also traded a number of ‘grey markets’ with certain companies and again I found that they just kept moving the goalposts until such a point was reached that they are no longer prepared to quote me grey market prices. When I confronted them on the issue I was told that “You should take it as a compliment, we’re reluctant to take bets from you any more as you rarely get it wrong”. This therefore leads to a situation where it is clear that in some cases a company simply doesn’t want your business. Someone has already mentioned this fact in this thread.

To be honest I think all these comments about hedging are just a method of creating a diversion which keeps certain companies from having to publicly debate certain issues. Some of the spreadbetting companies are public companies registered in the UK and therefore have to register accounts. Some of these companies’ profits are obscene and are clearly not gained by running “a fully hedged book”. I would therefore question the comments made about all the companies having the same basic business model (in respect of a fully hedged book). I also recall some years ago that IG Index allowed a fly-on-the-wall documentary to be made about their London trading operation. It was quite an eye opener to be honest even though I already knew quite a lot about the goings on inside a spreadbetting company. Most surprising was the lack of hedging that appeared to go on. In fact I don’t recall the subject of hedging ever being raised in the programme. The company seemed to have daily meetings at board level where the financial dealing director was invited to set out the profit and loss on their main markets at that particular point in the week. In the weeks that the programme was being filmed the clients were clearly beating the company up on its market futures related products like Dow and FTSE. This however was being more than balanced out by clients who were incorrectly predicting a reversal in the London House Price market. The net result was that the company was ahead in that particular week. One of the senior dealing staff did appear to admit that morale in the dealing room dropped if customers out-fox them too often. In this particular case I think he was blaming volatility in the market which meant that bad trading habits weren’t being punished (in respect of customers bad habits ie averaging positions and running losing positions). As I already said, what struck me most was the willingness of the company to take on this ever increasing risk. They seemed to suggest that they knew it was only a matter of time before customers luck ran out.

The upshot of everything I know is that I don’t trust any of these spreadbetting companies. In order to make such large profits they take on a far bigger risk that a flat order book. Their ability to manipulate the order flow of successful customers puts them a in a position where they can not fail to make money no matter how good the short term punter is.

Steve.
Thank you for all the work put down in this post.

It will be very interesting to hear from Marvin if he decides to respond. My first reaction would be to say that I think the industry is changing in a fast pace. Different constellations will probably appear in the years to come. You have Futuresbetting.com, which introduced a whole new way of thinking, by combining spreadbetting and DMA. The same is happening in the Forex industry, i.e the upcoming joint venture CME-Reuters in an attempt to centralize the currency market. Everybody in this industry has to adapt to a new market situation and competition that lies ahead in the years to come. The spread betting industry aims is in my point of view to move closer to DMA in order to cut a slice of that cake.

Steve very well written and informative. Even though i have been in the industry for some years, each company has its own deep dark side. At the end of the day spread betting companies are corporations, that are supposed to make money...

gle101 said:
Thank you for all the work put down in this post.

It will be very interesting to hear from Marvin if he decides to respond. My first reaction would be to say that I think the industry is changing in a fast pace. Different constellations will probably appear in the years to come. You have Futuresbetting.com, which introduced a whole new way of thinking, by combining spreadbetting and DMA. The same is happening in the Forex industry, i.e the upcoming joint venture CME-Reuters in an attempt to centralize the currency market. Everybody in this industry has to adapt to a new market situation and competition that lies ahead in the years to come. The spread betting industry aims is in my point of view to move closer to DMA in order to cut a slice of that cake.

GLE - the face of this industry has already changed. I noticed Barclays stockbrokers have just set up a spread betting service. Or is it a white label? The only issues i have with so many financial instutions offering spread betting is that the powers above will ask why should we not tax these traders. Or is that what they are doing? Any views!

MarvinS said:
GLE - the face of this industry has already changed. I noticed Barclays stockbrokers have just set up a spread betting service. Or is it a white label? The only issues i have with so many financial instutions offering spread betting is that the powers above will ask why should we not tax these traders. Or is that what they are doing? Any views!
Yes, I believe that Deutschebank has done it as well. The matter has also been up on the agenda of the tax authorities here in Sweden. Capitalspreads have established a white label in Sweden (finansbet.com). The first comments by the tax office representative, was that spread betting could be compared to options, thus being taxable. However, we need a court verdict in order to set a praxis for this in Sweden.

Last edited:
MarvinS said:

I'm in Bristol but if it's going to be a "Leo Sayer" then I might pop up?

Steve.

Stevespray

Superb post, thanks for the insight, interesting that Marvin's reply was that every Spreadbetting company has its deep dark side. I guess, that's as near as you will ever get to a confirmation of your suspicions. Us little guys are destined to be screwed.

Eddie

punter99 said:
Superb post, thanks for the insight, interesting that Marvin's reply was that every Spreadbetting company has its deep dark side. I guess, that's as near as you will ever get to a confirmation of your suspicions. Us little guys are destined to be screwed.

Eddie

Eddie,
If you regard yourself as being little then you are screwed from the start. Every trader has their deep dark side and same with operators. I don't think Steve needs confirmation of how SB firms operate. He has the full complement of the industry as do I...

gle101 said:
Yes, I believe that Deutschebank has done it as well. The matter has also been up on the agenda of the tax authorities here in Sweden. Capitalspreads have established a white label in Sweden (finansbet.com). The first comments by the tax office representative, was that spread betting could be compared to options, thus being taxable. However, we need a court verdict in order to set a praxis for this in Sweden.

The rationale behind large instutions doing this is not to gain ground on the industry itself but to cross large CFD positions they have into spread bets. Purely for the purposes of tax advantage. From a pure spread betting point of view it will ruin this industry!

I suppose they are right to view SB as being similar to an option, large corporations may convert a winning CFD into a SB and leave the loosing trades as a CFD. Massive grey area, if you view it as you have the right to convert it into a spread bet but not an obligation...

punter99 said:

Eddie
Funny I was writing about the same object when Marvin's post turned up.
We certainly have a choice as a trader. Whether we trade MM or DMA we are paying the dues. I agree Steve's was post was a very good one. Still, I don't see his post or Marvins "deep dark side" as a confirmation in any way that your are destined to lose. One can make it to the winning side, difficult yes, but with experience and the right mindset, it is possible. The statistics speaks for itself, you won't be much better off playing the game with DMA, the odds are against you in both cases whichever the road one chooses to take.

MarvinS said:
The rationale behind large instutions doing this is not to gain ground on the industry itself but to cross large CFD positions they have into spread bets. Purely for the purposes of tax advantage. From a pure spread betting point of view it will ruin this industry!

I suppose they are right to view SB as being similar to an option, large corporations may convert a winning CFD into a SB and leave the loosing trades as a CFD. Massive grey area, if you view it as you have the right to convert it into a spread bet but not an obligation...
Good points Marvin.
Yes, I am quite sure SB won't get away in the long run, it will be taxable, in some way or the other. Don't worry, traders, as most of us are on the losing side, we have some tax returns to look forward to. No really, just joking. This issue is an interesting one and will for sure be on the governing agenda over the years to come. I am sure that the extraordinary growth of this industry has caught the interest of the tax authorities in a big way, and they won't let this opportunity slip away so easily.

gle101 said:
Funny I was writing about the same object when Marvin's post turned up.
We certainly have a choice as a trader. Whether we trade MM or DMA we are paying the dues. I agree Steve's was post was a very good one. Still, I don't see his post or Marvins "deep dark side" as a confirmation in any way that your are destined to lose. One can make it to the winning side, difficult yes, but with experience and the right mindset, it is possible. The statistics speaks for itself, you won't be much better off playing the game with DMA, the odds are against you in both cases whichever the road one chooses to take.

The thing is you’re never going to beat DMA for price efficiency. By that I mean the tightest possible spread with instant execution. The transparency that you get with DMA is second to nothing. Psychologically you know that it is simply “You vs The Market”. This isn’t quite so with spreadbetting. Spreads are generally wider, prices can bias and executions can be interfered with. The upside with spreadbetting is obviously the tax free advantage on ‘winnings’ and also the ability to bet in non market size (ie minimum DMA on FTSE Futures is £10 per point as this is the smallest single contract). This is what obviously attracts the ‘beginner’ who doesn’t have $25,000+ to fund a direct access account.

In the last few years a few of the spreadbetting companies have taken things on a stage further with the invention of things like digital options (binary bets) and other derivative instruments that can not be found on any exchange. This is surely is the real growth sector? At the moment IG Index seem to be leading the way in this respect with a really wide range of interesting ways to bet on market movements. I would suggest that companies just starting to offer spreadbetting would have much catching up to do. In my opinion this is why WS have had to make such an offer on narrow spreads; it is the only way they could get their foot in the door so to speak. Weather they can continue to offer such a service remains to be seen. In my opinion it will come do to how they manage the more successful clients. It is fact that they can not hedge a client and make money from them with a 1 point spread on Dow or on GBPUSD. This means that the company will have to carry a certain exposure. As I have noted already, they only way for a company to succeed in such a situation is to increase the cost of trading to the client and the only way this can be done is by rejecting trading instructions and therefore negating the efficiency of a clients trading system or method.

There was an interesting article on Sky News last night, did anyone else see it? It was a report into the advertised costs of package holidays. It appears that travel agents advertise holidays in their windows along the lines of “Spain – 7 nights from £85 per person”. It turns out that it is impossible to get the holiday for that price. Whatever combination of flights / accommodation / meals / adults / children you choose results in the price per person being more than double the advertised price. Apparently in the world of the travel agent this is all perfectly legal! The excuse they offer is that most flights are subject to supplements of some kind as it costs different amounts to use different airports and also there are fuel supplements as the cost of oil is so high. There are also ‘adult supplements’ and ‘hotel supplements’ which all get added to the basic cost. The upshot is that it is a con pure and simple. The holiday being offered can not be booked at that price. I would suggest that the travel agents bend the law beyond what is reasonable in these cases. The lowest price advertised should, in my opinion, represent the lowest price available with the various additions considered. In some respects you can class spreadbetting in a similar manner. The costs which you see on the screen (ie just the spreads are not the only consideration that the customer needs to make if they are planning on being a successful spreadbetter!

Steve.

Many salient points, but why cannot a spreadbetting company "hedge" against a successful client on the Dow or GBP/USD?

Surely it is easy for them to identify their very small minority of successful clients. If punter A goes long on the GBP/USD, all the spreadbetting company needs to do is to go long on the same market using DMA. They are certainly not short of funds to trade all markets.

As for travel agents........they are not too far above estate agents in the pecking order of reprobates