Watch HowardCohodas Trade Index Options Credit Spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never mind that... We've already established that Howard doesn't understand that risk he's accepting and that he's willing to accept unknown risk because he believes he has capped losses and +ve expectancy based on his historical analysis. Howard doesn't understand that he's "loaning money to the market" through non arb principles and believes his edge lies in his ability to exploit the fact that it is likely to be unrelated parties transacting on each leg of the spread or IC. This is what he believes his giving him his return, his ability to lock in spread for theta. Am I correct, Howard?

What I want to know is if these losses will definitely be capped and if so to what extent.

Last edited:
I really fail to see how I could be any clearer.

You're achieving 30-60% a year, whatever it is, you tell me.

Why is the market prepared to give this to you? What risks are you taking on in order to earn this amazing return?

The reason you can't answer the question is because you simply don't know.

A great part of my life revolves around relying on things to work that I don't completely understand. This does not prevent me from being successful at most of what I do.

I see no reason that this should be a special case.

never mind that we've already established that Howard doesn't understand that risk he's accepting and he's willing to accept that because he has capped losses and he believe he has +ve expectancy based on his historical analysis.
What I want to know is if these losses will definitely be capped and if so to what extent.

Me either. That's why I keep my hands on the throttle and stick and my feet on the pedals and my eyes on the instruments and out the window when I am pilot in command. I don't trust the airplane to fly itself. And if things go unexpectedly wrong, I rely on my skill and calm to land successfully. I might bend the plane, but I expect to walk away from the wreck. Are some wrecks fatal? You bet. Will every pilot have a wreck? The statistics do not bear this out.

How is my trading much different?

A great part of my life revolves around relying on things to work that I don't completely understand. This does not prevent me from being successful at most of what I do.

I see no reason that this should be a special case.

The markets are a humbling place, Howard that care little for what you did before you came across them.

I do plan to teach my methods, so you are partially correct. No advisory service. No managing other peoples money. Just education, training and coaching (ETC).

Can you explain how you came across this strategy? Where did you learn about options Howard?

You completely reversed my point by your editing, so I don't agree it is on the money. I said that if the premises were wrong, which I showed, then the conclusion was not proved. Not proved and wrong are quite different ideas.

I dunno, I'm just confused by this. WTF? You showed that the premise for the price of an option being the costs to hedge it were incorrect?

It is not required to have a complete understanding of risks in order to manage them. Otherwise why would most people to take any mechanical means of transportation?

I believe I have show a pretty powerful method of managing the several risks involved with my methods. I believe that that is quite sufficient to be successful. You do not. Such is life.

What?! Are you kidding me? How can you manage the risks if you can't even acknowledge them?!

If you agree that you don't understand the risks, but don't believe that it is necessary and are satisfied to continue anyway... errr.. Good Luck.

I just don't see the your're right, I'm wrong dichotomy presented here.

If I were you, Howard, I'd ditch everything you think you know about options and start from scratch on the basics of options from a textbook. There are plenty about. The "understanding" of options that you have now has some fundamental flaws to it and that is why you can't see things from our frame of reference.

It is not required to have a complete understanding of risks in order to manage them. Otherwise why would most people to take any mechanical means of transportation?

At least a partial understanding might help, but you don't even have that. If you want to apply it to your analogy, one needs to know how to drive before using a car, even if one doesn't understand the internal combustion engine (or it might help to understand options theory, but it's not necessary to be able to derive the Black Scholes formula).

So you can't elucidate an edge, you don't know where you returns come from and you admit you don't really understand options.

Is this something you'll share with your pupils? You should be careful, because you may get some tricky questions.

Irrespective of your pupils' ability, I would imagine that at least one of them will ask why the market is willing to give you this astonishing return. Perhaps then you can hit them with the old bumblebee story!

It was the first thing I asked and I'm f*cking isht!

Howard, you believe that you can easily make this money from locking in a spread based on different parties taking the other side of your trades, yes? As this hasn't been asked at any point in the thread I feel compelled... do you know what a market maker is and what they do?

Last edited:
The markets are a humbling place, Howard that care little for what you did before you came across them.

We are in agreement here. That's why I trade the way I fly. Constantly cautious. There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots.

Have you found fault with my risk management process?

Do you believe that I require a complete understanding of options in or to properly manage the risk as I've presented it?

Have you found fault with my risk management process?

Do you believe that I require a complete understanding of options in or to properly manage the risk as I've presented it?

You don't need to be able to derive Black Scholes, but it would help if you understood where your excess return (so far) has come from, and what risks you are carrying.

But to ask "am I properly managing the risk" is the wrong question. If you properly manage the risk, then over time you will lose money unless options are systematically overpriced. Because every time you trade you cross bid/ask and/or pay commission.

In other words, your system has negative expectancy. Ok, I'm all done, I'll leave you alone now.

Can you explain how you came across this strategy? Where did you learn about options Howard?

I have, several times, but once more wont hurt too much.

Seven or so years ago I was working with a branch of AI (Artificial Intelligence) known as GA (Genetic Algorithms). I developed my own GA tool kit and posted questions and answered questions on some lists (the equivalent to forums today). I got a consulting gig from someone who wanted to use my package. I built a special interface for him and he did the rest. It turned out that he traded credit spreads and was using GA to refined the parameters of his rules. He never told me his results, but that renewed my interest in spreads.

It turned out that around 1975 I acquired a book titled "Planned Profit Through Hedging, a quick course in investment strategy" by Robert W. Brickel.

In neither of these experiences did I pursue things much further. Early this year a friend showed me what he was doing with respect to options trading. He was doing naked trades and after several years was about break even. I recalled my interest in spreads and had the time to pursue it.

I developed a concept similar to Probability of Touching and began exploring that as a way of better identifying the chances the short strike would be overtaken for a potential loss. During the development of the my estimator using Monte Carlo methods I read quite a few papers on options valuations and their insufficiencies. As I was experimenting with different probability distributions I opened an account with ThinkOrSwim and found they had a calculation that gave results close to my own. I abandoned mine because theirs was so much more convenient.

Bottom line, my knowledge of options is more theoretical than practical.

The breakthrough that made my methods reliably successful in back-testing was the techniques I brought to managing the spreads once entered. Up until then, I was getting results close to those predicted by Probability of Touching. But one bad month could wipe out several months of profit.

Once I added the management techniques, described in great detail in this thread, the wild draw-downs disappeared. I paper traded for 5 months to turn these rules into a practical form that took into account the challenges of actually making the trades necessary to enter and manage the spreads.

And now, here we are.

I dunno, I'm just confused by this. WTF? You showed that the premise for the price of an option being the costs to hedge it were incorrect?

Reread the entire post. There were several premises that, by observation, were simply not consistent with my portfolio. If the premises were not accurate, I could not rely on any conclusion based on these premises.

What?! Are you kidding me? How can you manage the risks if you can't even acknowledge them?!
I don't recall every denying there are risks. I have stated that I have several methods for managing them. How can I be any clearer here?

If you agree that you don't understand the risks, but don't believe that it is necessary and are satisfied to continue anyway... errr.. Good Luck.

Good luck is always a good thing. However, I've found that it takes a prepared mind to recognize an opportunity and exploit it. Many seem to confuse preparation with luck.

If I were you, Howard, I'd ditch everything you think you know about options and start from scratch on the basics of options from a textbook. There are plenty about. The "understanding" of options that you have now has some fundamental flaws to it and that is why you can't see things from our frame of reference.

I appreciate your advice. But until you can switch from declaring my ignorance as a basis for looming disaster rather than my management skills to mitigate said disaster, your advice seems weak and unconvincing.

You don't need to be able to derive Black Scholes, but it would help if you understood where your excess return (so far) has come from, and what risks you are carrying.

But to ask "am I properly managing the risk" is the wrong question. If you properly manage the risk, then over time you will lose money unless options are systematically overpriced. Because every time you trade you cross bid/ask and/or pay commission.

In other words, your system has negative expectancy. Ok, I'm all done, I'll leave you alone now.

Sounds remarkably like the random-entry discussion in another thread.

If you discount management as a significant contributor to an edge, then there is little room for discussion.

Other than a shock market, why is this an unreasonable assumption? Is not all investment analysis based on managing the losses? If I buy any trading instrument, I don't assume that the failure of my investment will be a zero value. I would be expected to bail out before that.

Why is this any different?

It isn't Howard but there is no mention on how you deal with the downside, where you would bail, under what conditions and how you calculate this.

Sounds remarkably like the random-entry discussion in another thread.

If you discount management as a significant contributor to an edge, then there is little room for discussion.

Yes, that's all that's left. Your edge is your ability to manage an options portfolio, based on four months experience.

I just don't understand the logic nor your sums in your risk analysis post. Probably down to limitation of scope in regards to my options trading knowledge but, to me, it reads like gobbledegook. I think you'll need to have a worked example with numbers if you watch to teach that.

It isn't Howard but there is no mention on how you deal with the downside, where you would bail, under what conditions and how you calculate this.

there is robster. click risk management in his links. I'm trying to figure out why the downside is capped.

if so i might take up howards training offer as although I agree he has absolutely no idea of his real exposure the system obviously has +ve expectancy given his returns

Status
Not open for further replies.