UK Politics

"Voting in this election is like being a staving man handed a hamper of food, only to open it up and find it's all rotten."
Very succinct and encapsulates beautifully the problem we all face and the reason why I suspect the turnout in July's election will be the lowest on record. Enjoy . . .

I don't agree with his smarty pants take on UK politics. Reform he says is the only chance of real change.

That'll be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Apparently Brexit hasn't been done right so Reform and Nigel are the bodies to do it.

I disagree but as I might have mentioned before I would love Nigel to become PM and show us how it should be done just for the entertainment value. If he does get it right, then I'll eat humble pie. But I doubt it somehow. Last time the turncoat just simply left the scene.

Nigel Farage reminds me of Tony Benn another politician who talked a lot which sounded like common sense but was full of p!ss poor ideas which have been relegated to confines of history. I must be living my second life. :ROFLMAO:

I'll be voting Reform at this election. I'd like to see them get so many votes that it scares the Conservative Party into reforming itself urgently and effectively. Then I can vote Conservative again in 2029.

. . . I disagree but as I might have mentioned before I would love Nigel to become PM and show us how it should be done just for the entertainment value. If he does get it right, then I'll eat humble pie. But I doubt it somehow. Last time the turncoat just simply left the scene. . .
I'm inclined to agree At' in as much as I fear it's a case of talking a good talk but seriously question if Reform can walk the walk. But, they deserve a chance and will probably get my vote as the Tories have blown it for me - never voting for them again - and I've never voted labour in my life and see no reason to start now. Reform's manifesto does look good but, again, can they deliver?

Nigel Farage Launches Reform Manifesto With Pledges to Freeze Immigration, Leave the ECHR and Scrap Net Zero

These are the headline policies:
  • Migration: Freeze all non-essential immigration.
  • Stop the boats: Leave the ECHR, illegal migrants will be detained and deported, small boats will be picked up and taken back to France, set up new department for immigration.
  • NHS: Introduce tax relief of 20% on all private healthcare and insurance. All frontline NHS and social care staff would pay zero basic rate income tax for three years.
  • Tax: Lift the income tax threshold to £20,000 and the inheritance tax threshold to £2 million.
  • Going green: Scrap the Net Zero drive and green levies to bring down energy bills.
  • Spending: Save £5 in every £100 that the government spends.
  • International development: Cut foreign aid spending by 50 per cent to save £6 billion.
  • Businesses: Lift the VAT threshold to £150,000.
  • Education: Introduce a patriotic curriculum in primary and secondary schools. Ban transgender ideology in primary and secondary schools. Tax relief of 20% on all independent education.
  • Welfare: Enforce a two-strike rule for job seekers with benefits withdrawn from people who repeatedly turn down work.

I'm inclined to agree At' in as much as I fear it's a case of talking a good talk but seriously question if Reform can walk the walk. But, they deserve a chance and will probably get my vote as the Tories have blown it for me - never voting for them again - and I've never voted labour in my life and see no reason to start now. Reform's manifesto does look good but, again, can they deliver?

Nigel Farage Launches Reform Manifesto With Pledges to Freeze Immigration, Leave the ECHR and Scrap Net Zero

These are the headline policies:
  • Migration: Freeze all non-essential immigration.
  • Stop the boats: Leave the ECHR, illegal migrants will be detained and deported, small boats will be picked up and taken back to France, set up new department for immigration.
  • NHS: Introduce tax relief of 20% on all private healthcare and insurance. All frontline NHS and social care staff would pay zero basic rate income tax for three years.
  • Tax: Lift the income tax threshold to £20,000 and the inheritance tax threshold to £2 million.
  • Going green: Scrap the Net Zero drive and green levies to bring down energy bills.
  • Spending: Save £5 in every £100 that the government spends.
  • International development: Cut foreign aid spending by 50 per cent to save £6 billion.
  • Businesses: Lift the VAT threshold to £150,000.
  • Education: Introduce a patriotic curriculum in primary and secondary schools. Ban transgender ideology in primary and secondary schools. Tax relief of 20% on all independent education.
  • Welfare: Enforce a two-strike rule for job seekers with benefits withdrawn from people who repeatedly turn down work.

There are always pros and cons. There will be consequences to those ideas. Whilst I do like the sound of some of them, there isn't anything in there that tackles the challenges UK are facing. Migration is an issue along with ECHR that he has created. This was the man promoting the commonwealth to take on and replace the EU. Good luck with those.

Even if you (the voter) loathe Nigel Farage with every fibre of your being and don't support Reform's migration policies - there is still one excellent reason to vote Reform today for which the country, your family, children and grandchildren will thank you for years to come. It is this: to scrap Net Zero. No other party has this on their manifesto (or 'contract' in Reform's case) - other than perhaps a few independent candidates. Net zero is totally pointless and will be utterly ruinous for us all. It must be stopped at any cost. Only Reform will do that.

The Net Zero Cure is Far Worse Than the Disease

". . . In 2020, the National Grid ESO estimated the cost of the energy transition [to Net Zero] to be around £3 trillion. This is probably an underestimate because the cost of renewables has gone up since then (see AR6) as interest rates have gone up from almost zero to over 5%. To put this in context, U.K. GDP was £2.3 trillion in 2023, so the cost will be at least 1.3 times GDP. For further context, the budget for NHS England was £155bn in 2022-23, so the cost of Net Zero will be around 19 times the NHS budget. . ."

The Case Against Net Zero

Last edited:
It's possible that the only effective way that illegal cross-Channel immigration might be seriously cut is if Marine LePen is elected in France.

It would be ironic if her actions resulted in Labour gettingcredit for stopping the boats....

Brexit is over! Remainers use polling day to gloat as Labour looks poised to take victory and 'renegotiate split with Brussels' as former EU boss Jean-Claude Juncker leaves the door open to Britain rejoining the bloc​

Brexit is over! Remainers use polling day to gloat as Labour looks poised to take victory and 'renegotiate split with Brussels' as former EU boss Jean-Claude Juncker leaves the door open to Britain rejoining the bloc​

Funny headline.

As I understand it, rejoining would necessitate signing up to free movement. It's never gonna happen.

Exit poll, Lab 410 Con 131 LD 61 Ref 13 SNP 10

Farage will kick up too much of a stink. The Uk could become ungovernable.

Quote of the Election imo.

Sir Robert Buckland today launched an extraordinary attack on his Conservative colleagues, saying they will now be 'like a group of bald men arguing over a comb'. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"Voting in this election is like being a staving man handed a hamper of food, only to open it up and find it's all rotten."
Very succinct and encapsulates beautifully the problem we all face and the reason why I suspect the turnout in July's election will be the lowest on record. Enjoy . . .
Well, it turns out I was wrong. Happens very occasionally!
:cool:
That said, I wasn't wrong by much. . .
Voter turnout in general elections and in the Brexit referendum in the United Kingdom from 1918 to 2024
"In the UK's general election of 2024 voter turnout was estimated to have been 60 percent, the lowest turnout since 2001, when it was 59.4 percent. Between 1922 and 1997 voter turnout never fell below 70 percent, but in 2001 it dropped to just 59.4 percent. Since that low point, voter turnout has gradually recovered and reached 72.2 percent in the Brexit Referendum of 2016, which is still some way off the peak of 83.9 percent recorded in the 1950 General Election. . ."

Loveless Landslide: Starmer’s ‘Meh-jority’ Slammed as Most Distorted Election Ever as Just 20% of Eligible Voters Cast Ballot for Party That Now Controls 64% of Parliament

". . . Starmer’s Labour won just 33.8% of the vote, far less than Jeremy Corbyn’s 40% when he lost to Theresa May in 2017 and just 1.7% up on Corbyn’s 2019 loss to Boris Johnson. . . It means Labour received only 700,000 more votes than Corbyn in 2019 but managed to pick up more than 200 more seats. . . Reform garnered 4.1 million votes with 14.2% – not far off half Labour’s tally – but won just four seats. . ."

Loveless Landslide: Starmer’s ‘Meh-jority’ Slammed as Most Distorted Election Ever as Just 20% of Eligible Voters Cast Ballot for Party That Now Controls 64% of Parliament

". . . Starmer’s Labour won just 33.8% of the vote, far less than Jeremy Corbyn’s 40% when he lost to Theresa May in 2017 and just 1.7% up on Corbyn’s 2019 loss to Boris Johnson. . . It means Labour received only 700,000 more votes than Corbyn in 2019 but managed to pick up more than 200 more seats. . . Reform garnered 4.1 million votes with 14.2% – not far off half Labour’s tally – but won just four seats. . ."

First past the post or proportional voting...?

Have you considered LibDems?

Farage exposes UK population crisis.

Population explosion is down to an aging population that is living much longer with more severe medical conditions.

Migrants coming in are often young, very aspirational and hard working, driven, contributing to high productivity. Productivity is pretty low for the real English masses. They don't work like the Germans or Asian Tigers. Work shy some may say.

Problem with Farage's stall, is that an aging population means:

- Higher social budget to look after the old folk
- Reduced tax base to finance the extra expenditure

He is a really poor mentally stupified one track pony repeating migrant crises. I know of more nurses from the Phillipines then English ones. My GP has Indian doctors. Don't recall when I last had an English Doctor appointed to me. I think it was back in 2009 before I left London.

So I have no freaking idea why he is stating:

- We can't get GP appointments
- Nearly 8m people waiting for NHS appointments

Remove the migrant workforce and I doubt you'd be able to get any decent take-aways, hair cuts or peeps to sort out ladies nails. There is then the fruit pickers and hospitality industry which is severly short of English labour. You can also kiss your GP doctors and hospital appointments goodbye too.

Housing crises is down to daft very restrictive planning laws and the British aristrocracy who derives much of their leisure lifestyles by not working and earning rent.

What's freaking roads got to do with migrants. People have 2 or 3 cars. The poor migrant sods can't afford cars. That's the Tories old policies of favouring roads over public transport. Similarly privatising public transport with prices charged being extortionate to the public.

Baby boomers from post WWII era retiring and with the aging population and thus our quality of life is falling because Britain is work shy, with a shrinking, untrained and not very productive workforce.

He suggests in his manifesto cutting benefits to people who turn down 2 x job offers. Well how do you think those people will provide service to you? Disgruntled and grumpy. Will you be able to trust they will not spit in your plate, being forced to wash dishes and carry luggage?

Yes we need more young people. Trained YOUNG people.

We are not alone. Europe, Japan and China facing the same aging population issue.

All Farage speaks about is migration. As if bringing it to zero will fix issues.

Does anyone who supports Farage's repeat mentioning of migration as a problem, also hear any solutions on how he would resolve staffing shortages in hospitals and GPs? Does he mention training and who will pay for it? Does he talk about whether Nurses and Medical Doctors would choose to work for low salaries? How would he deal with the doctors striking for more pay? NOOOOOO he doesn't. British policy is always import the skills and pay as little as possible. How much will British workers want before they step up t to the job. What will happen to inflation, interest rates and mortgages?

How has Brexit worked out?

I really would love to see this guy in charge. As the saying goes beware of what you wish for? His a noisy sausage that jumps up and down bleating migration whilst offering no solutions to an aging population imho.

Population explosion is down to an aging population that is living much longer with more severe medical conditions.

Migrants coming in are often young, very aspirational and hard working, driven, contributing to high productivity. Productivity is pretty low for the real English masses. They don't work like the Germans or Asian Tigers. Work shy some may say.

Problem with Farage's stall, is that an aging population means:

- Higher social budget to look after the old folk
- Reduced tax base to finance the extra expenditure

He is a really poor mentally stupified one track pony repeating migrant crises. I know of more nurses from the Phillipines then English ones. My GP has Indian doctors. Don't recall when I last had an English Doctor appointed to me. I think it was back in 2009 before I left London.

So I have no freaking idea why he is stating:

- We can't get GP appointments
- Nearly 8m people waiting for NHS appointments

Remove the migrant workforce and I doubt you'd be able to get any decent take-aways, hair cuts or peeps to sort out ladies nails. There is then the fruit pickers and hospitality industry which is severly short of English labour. You can also kiss your GP doctors and hospital appointments goodbye too.

Housing crises is down to daft very restrictive planning laws and the British aristrocracy who derives much of their leisure lifestyles by not working and earning rent.

What's freaking roads got to do with migrants. People have 2 or 3 cars. The poor migrant sods can't afford cars. That's the Tories old policies of favouring roads over public transport. Similarly privatising public transport with prices charged being extortionate to the public.

Baby boomers from post WWII era retiring and with the aging population and thus our quality of life is falling because Britain is work shy, with a shrinking, untrained and not very productive workforce.

He suggests in his manifesto cutting benefits to people who turn down 2 x job offers. Well how do you think those people will provide service to you? Disgruntled and grumpy. Will you be able to trust they will not spit in your plate, being forced to wash dishes and carry luggage?

Yes we need more young people. Trained YOUNG people.

We are not alone. Europe, Japan and China facing the same aging population issue.

All Farage speaks about is migration. As if bringing it to zero will fix issues.

Does anyone who supports Farage's repeat mentioning of migration as a problem, also hear any solutions on how he would resolve staffing shortages in hospitals and GPs? Does he mention training and who will pay for it? Does he talk about whether Nurses and Medical Doctors would choose to work for low salaries? How would he deal with the doctors striking for more pay? NOOOOOO he doesn't. British policy is always import the skills and pay as little as possible. How much will British workers want before they step up t to the job. What will happen to inflation, interest rates and mortgages?

How has Brexit worked out?

I really would love to see this guy in charge. As the saying goes beware of what you wish for? His a noisy sausage that jumps up and down bleating migration whilst offering no solutions to an aging population imho.
  • Fair comment and appears to be addressed to the important universal rather than the unimportant particular (ie. unimportant me)
regarding the particular - unimportant me - keep in mind the following
  1. my posts are primary private as private referencel and merely incidental to participants on this forum.
  2. as previous, my wife and I do not comment on each others posts - multiple reasons exists - reference links & commentaries are via private messages.
  3. as primary private posts - my posts may or may NOT reflect my concurrence of part or all of content posted - it may be merely an opposing view of interest - though - in this instance - while acknowledging some validity to some of your arguments I am not in agreement with all your argument. Time constraints and other priorties inhibit further comment. And, as previous - commentary is primary private and secondary incidental to the universal.
  4. As universal reminder to the offended - the subscribe button looks like - ignore.jpg I encourage for your psychological health and those closest to you.
  5. Otherwise, universal comment - concurrent or of alternative or opposing opinion - is ever of interest and of benefit to all.
Screenshot from 2024-07-05 21-03-20.png

Screenshot from 2024-07-05 21-03-42.png

Last edited:

Labour's first day in power: Keir Starmer immediately kills off Rwanda scheme, snubs Emily Thornberry in selecting his cabinet and speaks to world leaders - while Wes Streeting declares 'the NHS is broken' in speech to staff​

Screenshot from 2024-07-06 02-54-06.png

Review: next election

Last edited: