The Next US President

China just told the world that its economy is growing at 6.9%. Almost no one believes that.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/19/investing/china-economy-gdp/

Why India’s GDP numbers need to be taken with a generous helping of salt

http://qz.com/612371/why-indias-gdp-numbers-need-to-be-taken-with-a-generous-helping-of-salt/

This is why being the president of the United States is the same as being the leader of the free world.

Everything in orange means that you spend less than you make. Everything in blue means that you spend more than you make.
Debt_3.jpg

I find this graph very informative. Look at India. India has a GDP of $1.4 trillion and GDP per capita of $1,877. Norway's GDP is $579 billion and its GDP per capita is $100,818. This is why China and India are still 3rd world countries.

GDP compared with its respective GDP per capita
GDP_vs_GDP_per_capita_2.jpg

Last edited:
relative!
relative to those countries!!!!! You mentioned US hegemony will remain when it has been in the decline. You mention debt to GDP, YES!
debt to GDP is irrelevant when you look at countries that are still doing ok like japan with astronomical figures but I clearly stated that HISTORIANS look at defense spending relative to debt payments. You just dismiss everything as irrelevent or not logical but you seem to want to sound smart, with this bias...I think that you sound irrelevant. The fact that you don't agree with anything I just stated means either
A. The people WAAAAAAAAY smarter than me are wrong and you know much more
This is including but not limited to NIall ferguson, Chomsky, Paul Kennedy and Geoffary Warner
B. You are on some sort of acid trip that I envy

I seriously can't stand your graphs because it IS IN FACT IRRELEVANT. We can start this debate when reforms on spending start happening and as I can see, the idiots in congress either don't have the balls to do it or are just as incompetent as you and see nothing wrong

What you say is absolutely true here and similar studies have been done on consumer behaviour and product differentiation with respect to Asian economies.

They found that whilst China and India do a lot of copying and selling false brands, these are essentially for the Western markets. Asian tigers aren't too keen on paying a premium for a branded labelled product.

So even companies like Burberry are struggling in Asia. Western companies competing in these markets will struggle with cheaper products but the Asian companies are quite able to sell in Western ones.

Success of pound shops, Lidl and Aldi beating the dominant supermarket names is a key indication of this change.

Boeing, Cisco and IBM (now Lenovo) and Apple all mature technologies are not likely to make the same hyper super profits as in the past. Same applies for many other companies too.

One possible argument to counteract this idea is increasing purchasing power and disposable income in these economies as they grow may change people's appetite for branded goods. That is a long shot and wait and see by which times market dynamics may long have changed along with suppliers.

It seems as though I am the only one staying on topic. The probability that Trump will get the GOP nomination has risen again.
Screen_Shot_2016_02_12_at_6_15_42_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_02_12_at_6_19_08_AM.png

The probability that Trump will win the South Carolina primary continues to rise. :clap:
Screen_Shot_2016_02_12_at_10_06_04_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_02_12_at_10_09_37_AM.png

China just told the world that its economy is growing at 6.9%. Almost no one believes that.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/19/investing/china-economy-gdp/

Why India’s GDP numbers need to be taken with a generous helping of salt

http://qz.com/612371/why-indias-gdp-numbers-need-to-be-taken-with-a-generous-helping-of-salt/

This is why being the president of the United States is the same as being the leader of the free world.

Everything in orange means that you spend less than you make. Everything in blue means that you spend more than you make.
Debt_3.jpg

You realise that the US (if you extended the axis far enough) is on the blue side? Debt as % of GDP was close to 110% last time I looked.

You realise that the US (if you extended the axis far enough) is on the blue side? Debt as % of GDP was close to 110% last time I looked.

For 2015 Q4 it was 102.5%. The graph was not intended to bend the truth to my will. Unlike other countries, the US has states with their own autonomy and tax laws. This can only be found elsewhere analogously in Scandinavia. Sweden has municipalities, which tax their denizens differently. Västernorrlands län has the highest local tax rates at 34.04%. Dorotea has a municipality tax of 23.95% This is analogous to California having the highest state taxes in the country. Orange County has one of the lowest sales tax rates in the state.
http://www.scb.se/en_/Finding-statistics/Statistics-by-subject-area/Public-finances/Local-Government-finances/Local-taxes/Aktuell-Pong/11856/67873/
http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pam71.htm

California is a big enough economy that I included it with other European countries. The US economy is too big and would skew the graph.

For 2015 Q4 it was 102.5%. The graph was not intended to bend the truth to my will. Unlike other countries, the US has states with their own autonomy and tax laws. This can only be found elsewhere analogously in Scandinavia. Sweden has municipalities, which tax their denizens differently. Västernorrlands län has the highest local tax rates at 34.04%. Dorotea has a municipality tax of 23.95% This is analogous to California having the highest state taxes in the country. Orange County has one of the lowest sales tax rates in the state.
http://www.scb.se/en_/Finding-statistics/Statistics-by-subject-area/Public-finances/Local-Government-finances/Local-taxes/Aktuell-Pong/11856/67873/
http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pam71.htm

California is a big enough economy that I included it with other European countries. The US economy is too big and would skew the graph.

Sure' but this thread is about the president of the USA, not the Governor of California. And the USA has a debt problem - if you doubt that why the major market collywobbles at the prospect of interest rates going up a teeny-tiny amount?

Sure' but this thread is about the president of the USA, not the Governor of California. And the USA has a debt problem - if you doubt that why the major market collywobbles at the prospect of interest rates going up a teeny-tiny amount?

This is about the president and not necessarily about debt. I responded with a post in regards to Joseph.

California's economy rivals most European countries. :innocent: Its GDP is better than Spain's, Greece's or Portugal's. In fact, its GDP is approximately the same size as Spain, Greece, Croatia, Hungary, Romania, and Slovenia combined. :LOL:

As the graph shows, while it may not be country, it is certainly more productive than most countries. :smart:

I was surprised to hear on the radio that Canada is the USA's biggest trading partner.

birth 1776
rise 1950
zenith 1970
decline 2000
fall 2040

They keep forgetting that those are people out there not just Pentagon statistics.
From umpteen thousand feet it may look like bugs crawling but no it's not. Trump will no doubt try and reduce the number significantly in Republican ( Bush ) style but that only grows more at home and less friends abroad. Tricky problem for morons.

I was surprised to hear on the radio that Canada is the USA's biggest trading partner.

Is that for real or tax evasion reasons?

US population 350m
Canada approx 35m

I'd be very surprised if that's legitimate real figure :rolleyes:

Is that for real or tax evasion reasons?

US population 350m
Canada approx 35m

I'd be very surprised if that's legitimate real figure :rolleyes:

One word: oil.

Now oil prices have collapsed China has overtaken Canada as the largest trade partner.

:clap:
This is a substantial lead.
Screen_Shot_2016_02_16_at_2_19_15_PM.png

:clap:
There is even more hope for immigration reform now.
Screen_Shot_2016_02_16_at_2_19_48_PM.png

I wonder how Scalia's passing will affect the campaigns of some of the candidates. Some of them are senators, wouldn't they have to pause campaigning to deal with voting on the issue?

I wonder how Scalia's passing will affect the campaigns of some of the candidates. Some of them are senators, wouldn't they have to pause campaigning to deal with voting on the issue?

Not necessarily. Senators are actually not required to show up any time their is a vote. However, it would certainly benefit them to do so. There are several times when the senate does not have all 100 senators voting. There must be at least 66 senators in the senate in order for a vote to be cast.

Senator Bernie Sanders is unlikely to return to D.C. to cast his vote because he will lose precious campaign time against Clinton.