The Challenge

Short £2 September Bund at 110.54.

Stop is at 110.72 (18 ticks or £36)

Target: Open

++++++++++

Edit:

If the movement of the Bund today proves anything, it is that I am getting good at drawing support lines.

On the hourly chart, the Bund bounced at the 110.55 support level I've had on my charts for a while now - to the very tick!

Shame that's working against me right now...

++++++++++

Attachments

• bund.jpg
    bund.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I am holding this position overnight.

I am currently down £14.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
The bund gapped up through my stop on the open.

Fortunately only by 2 ticks.

Another loss. This time it was £40.

The bund gapped up through my stop on the open.

Fortunately only by 2 ticks.

Another loss. This time it was £40.

bond_trader - you seem to be picking trades that go against the longer term trend (from the 2 I've seen) which in my view is a risky strategy. When you make a profit I'm sure they will be large, however you are relying a break of the current trend for that to happen, which in my view will not happen more often than it does.

Just my 2p's worth..

bond_trader - you seem to be picking trades that go against the longer term trend (from the 2 I've seen) which in my view is a risky strategy. When you make a profit I'm sure they will be large, however you are relying a break of the current trend for that to happen, which in my view will not happen more often than it does.

Just my 2p's worth..

I feel that you are right. I have had two good days this week trading against the long term trend but that does not make it right-it makes me fortunate! You have to keep your trend tight to do that, so that the losses are small. Nevertheless, today they are mounting up, with 4 trades and a net loss of 14 points. I do another instrument, by the way, but am following this thread with interest.

Bond trader, not wanting to interfere, but look at the hourly trend and take a view of it. Depending on what you think it is, up or down, is how you should be trading, on the tops of the swings your risk/reward will be better, perhaps?

Watch your trade size and keep it low.

Good luck.

Split

Hoggums, Splitlink,

Thank you for your advice.

I agree - on both of these trades, which are the only two I have made, I have been fighting the trend.

On the plus side, I've been disciplined and taken my losses so I'm not going to berate myself too much.

What I am going to start looking for is price action, at support/resistance levels or other confluence areas with the trend.

I'm also going to drop my trade size to the minimum - £1 per tick and stay at that, until I have some profitable trades banked.

I'm realising that although I need to trade with size to win this challenge, the most important aspect, is to learn to trade profitably and strive for that magic word: consistency.

Then and only then, I can step up the size.

A quick question for anyone reading this who trades the Bund.

Do you know if it conforms well to Fib levels?

I heard that they work very well in Forex but that they have had a varied degree of success in other markets.

BT1,

The current trend is up. There is a trend at the moment towards risk aversion which is why the YEN and equity markets are trending up and down respectively.

Good luck

Fibonelli

You are wise to keep your size as low as possible. If you lose all your money because of large trading sizes, there is no going back---you are out. At least, if you lose the bet but end the year with 1,2, or 3 thousand, you will have learned enough to be a successful trader, which is a year well spent.

Split

At this point, I have lost three trades in a row and have £650 left of my original £1,000.

Of course losses are to be expected, trading is incredibly hard, this is a difficult product to trade and I am very inexperienced.

But I can't help realising that if I had kept to my original plan and traded price action setups on an end of day basis, I would now be ahead.

If you look at the two circled pin bars on the chart attached you will see the first one was the one in which I lost 74 ticks.

The second one would now be ahead 81 ticks.

Of course whether this would have meant I would now be in profit would be dependent on many things such as where I would have trailed my stop or whether I would have exited some of my position at resistance levels.

However, it is confirmation that if you have an edge or a strategy, you need to give it time to play out. What I did is take a large loss and start trying to trade intraday which is, I have been told (and am really starting to believe) far, far harder.

Attachments

• bund.JPG
    bund.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 170
At this point, I have lost three trades in a row and have £650 left of my original £1,000.

Of course losses are to be expected, trading is incredibly hard, this is a difficult product to trade and I am very inexperienced.

But I can't help realising that if I had kept to my original plan and traded price action setups on an end of day basis, I would now be ahead.

If you look at the two circled pin bars on the chart attached you will see the first one was the one in which I lost 74 ticks.

The second one would now be ahead 81 ticks.

Of course whether this would have meant I would now be in profit would be dependent on many things such as where I would have trailed my stop or whether I would have exited some of my position at resistance levels.

However, it is confirmation that if you have an edge or a strategy, you need to give it time to play out. What I did is take a large loss and start trying to trade intraday which is, I have been told (and am really starting to believe) far, far harder.

What you see in the chart is a classic acceleration downwards followed by a pullback. However the pullback is now approaching the top of the downwards trend channel so I would expect some resistance in this area.

I would not go long unless this channel is convincingly broken, a lot minor breaks followed by a small fall may mean the channel holds and a further fall could be expected.

Just my opinion....

Descending TL was clearly rejected then.

And the rising channel from the recent lows has now been broken.

Are we going to see a test of 110.00 support again?

Attachments

• bund.JPG
    bund.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 151
This situation is playing out and I have totally frozen.

Consolidation at lower levels (just above a support) with a triple bar high on the hourly and a five bar har on the 30m charts.

A break looks like a very good place to go long but the risk is 17 ticks and there is resistance just overhead and if I use that as a target it makes the risk:reward on the trade unappealing.

Having said that, it could well go through resistance and I could trail a stop at the previous bar lows.

But then add to that the fact that there was a sharp fall yesterday and that today it is continuing lower and I am just not sure what to do since going long is counter the short term daily trend.

I am very undecided and I'm just sitting here watching this resistance build.

Attachments

• bund1.JPG
    bund1.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 147
This was a beautiful setup on the 30m charts.

A clean head and shoulders setup with a double bar high and a lower close right at the neckline.

This left the bund looking very vulnerable and triggered a large fall...

Attachments

• bonds.JPG
    bonds.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
First winning trade!

I've attached two charts - first chart is a closeup with reason for entry, placement of stop and exit for this trade.

Second chart is the larger picture with the levels of support and resistance that I had on my chart prior to entering this.

I went long because of a breakout of a tight channel on the 30m charts. There was five touches of a resistance level at 110.15 and I put in a buy stop to enter at 110.19 (which is +1 from reistance on the charts and +3 for the spread as my charts work off the bid) with my stop at the channel low - just 9 ticks away at 110.10.

Unfortunately, as disciplined as I have been on my exits, as soon as it broke sharply upwards, I closed it at 110.34 for 15 points profit.

As soon as I saw the wick developing at the top of that breakout candle I started worrying about giving my profit back. So it was a case of wanting to take my winnings off the table. I did this despite seeing it break through the resistance level I had drawn in overhead.

With the Bund now being bid at 110.65 (31 points higher than my exit), I admit this was a horrible mistake.

The only other thing to add is that I used TD Waterhouse to enter this trade, which gave me £150 free as part of a special offer. The company impose a minimum £3 a point stake in the Bund which is the level I took this trade at. I tell you all this because I promised a few posts back that I would be entering at £1 a tick going forwards and I don't want everyone to think that I have no discipline or regard for money management.

This trade made me £45 and brings my overall balance to £695.

Attachments

• bund2.JPG
    bund2.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 157
  • bund.JPG
    bund.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hi BT1

There was breakthrough in the pivot point for the Bund, Bobl and Long Gilt. Good to see you taking advantage. I missed it 'cos I was busy researching a trading strategy.

Hi BT1

There was breakthrough in the pivot point for the Bund, Bobl and Long Gilt. Good to see you taking advantage. I missed it 'cos I was busy researching a trading strategy.

Hi Fibonelli,

Can you tell me what Pivot Point you are referring too? I've not actually looked at these so far in the Bund...

Hi BT1,

11017 for the Bund. It was the intra day support on 5 July 2007 which became resistance during the afternoon of the same day and the next day. Resistance gave way after 1pm today. Easy to see on a 15 min chart.

Fibonelli

Hi BT1,

11017 for the Bund. It was the intra day support on 5 July 2007 which became resistance during the afternoon of the same day and the next day. Resistance gave way after 1pm today. Easy to see on a 15 min chart.

Fibonelli

Ah, you mean the S/R pivots. I can see that now although I am working off the 30m charts and so have these in different areas.

Do you use calculated Pivot Points though?