swingin' the ftse: 2008

My sell order just got filled. Hopefully as this is on weakness so late in the session we will not rise too much from here - surely this will never be a white candle - and the US looks weak. Stop-loss in just above Wednesday high, max draw-down under 1%. And no doubling down!

Touched 5328 and back up but well below 34 ma on 3 min bar, both 34 and 200 still parallel and heading down

steve

This morning's news on the help, in the US, for mortgagees, could boost the market today so I may take a long stance. My basic plan, though, is to take the first pullback after the breakout, which strictly speaking means no trade for me, today, unless something shows up on the intraday that I like.

My short view is suspended because my main trendline has been broken.

:D So much for my interpretation of the news.

I'll have to leave that alone, in future!

I lost it, today. No short gains for me. :(

But you do seem to have gained a case of innsomnia looking at the time you posted this:sleep:

That happens to me a lot these days. :) Septuagenarian ( had to get Collins out for that)
life style. :D

Not insomnia. I just have a cuppa , look at the posts, or read, and go back to bed.

Split

Second position on same signal?

As per message last Thursday, I took the short signal at the breach of last Wednesday's low. Stop was Wednesday's high (97pts above) but as the position moved into profit I used this 97pt range to move the stop to trail the price. Price action today closed the position for a profit.

But the price has not recovered anywhere near giving a buy signal, nor reached the original Wednesday high. So what do we think of going short a second time, 3 days later, and even though we are now below Wednesday's low? Maybe others have been doing this automatically, with success - so is this just a matter of normal position and money management or is it a complete non-starter?

Everyone keeping out of trouble in these choppy markets?

Hi foredog
Trying to my friend! Waiting for a break above 5500 before i get back in properly...will just trade small and catch small moves till then

Be Well

Steve

There's some real crazy moves out there, HBOS up 10% WOS up 15%, easy to get short and caught!!!!

( i know it's a bit off course but they are the index constituents)

Last edited:
Need advice guys! Just taken on a real job instead of my usual self employment, will be for a few months but will not get screen time during ftse hours, any suggestions so i can still trade it? Is SB the only option with guaranteed stop losses etc? will only get screen time each evening for a couple hours.....

Steve

Keeping my head down while main indices ranging sideways. Too late to short them, too early to buy them. I am taking some very small long swing trades in some FTSE350 stuff, as much as an experiment as anything else.

Steve - SB sounds like best option for swing trading - set trigger / stop and re-assess each evening. But you can swing trade the FTSE (long side) by buying FTSE100 i-Shares, brokers often allow orders and stops just like SB. Also, they are exempt from Stamp Duty.

I believe you can get CMC and IG on your phone, maybe you can use them to check your position through the day?

Hi, am considering swing trading the FTSE and i wanted to know what the oppurtunties were like?

Is the FTSE a good trending market typically and what length stock holding is it suited to?

Any other comments/experience of swing trading on the FTSE would be helpful.

Cheers
CR

hi cr6196 -

The FTSE100 is probably as good a subject for swing trading as any other. Its members have a high daily trade volume so its not likely to behave erratically, and the spreads available are competitive so your trade overheads should be modest. Like many indices it has an annoying habit of abandoning a trend intra-day as the open of the US market approaches: e.g. its rare for the FTSE to go up strongly in the am (UK time) and continue higher in the pm once New York has opened and is heading downwards.

A nice thing about swing trading, as well as making efficient use of limited screen time, is that you can see the maximum loss of points between your entry and stop-loss, and you should use this to determine the maximum size of your position so as to avoid excessive risk.

important event

Yesterday's action closed above the last downtrend swing high and thus changes the swing trend to UP.

Assuming we get confirmation, longs are now the order of the day.

good trading

jon

important event

Yesterday's action closed above the last downtrend swing high and thus changes the swing trend to UP.

Assuming we get confirmation, longs are now the order of the day.

good trading

jon

Hi jon
Would confirmation be a close above 5500?

steve
:confused:

Hi jon
Would confirmation be a close above 5500?

steve
:confused:

Everyone to their own, steve, I guess. I think of it as a series of events rather than a one-off. A couple of days hold above 5500; taking out the minor swing high @ 5540 (backed off from that at the moment); holding above that; and how far the first retracement goes.

The bold will be trading the first retracement come what may, others will want to see a bit of confirmation one way or the other (via their ma or other indicators maybe).

good trading

jon