• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May I boldly request the next one (getting bored with this one)? When will it be posted?

A thread is started by Skill Leverage on T2W at midnight Feb 28th 2009.

Given the outside temperature is 12-deg-C, at standard pressure, how many posts does it take before Skill gets a massive brain aneurysm?

Secondly, calculate the distance the blood spurts from his twitching, lifeless body.

Charts, look at the first pages of this thread; I gave perfectly nice, helpful answers. Brambles gave me a slightly prickly and provoking response, and things escalated. I'm sorry that 38 PAGES LATER I haven't been able to maintain my composure...

Imagine you were sitting in a room with me, and there was a red chair in the middle of it. You say to me 'that chair is red', and I say 'no it's not, it's blue'; there's nothing you can say that will convince me that is isn't blue, yet you are forced to remain there and tell me for 10 hours that it's red... wouldn't you get annoyed? I should have left when I said I was going to but I was essentially told that would be admitting defeat, which is something I wasn't prepared to do.

I am sorry for calling you a twat though.

Imagine you were sitting in a room with me, and there was a red chair in the middle of it. You say to me 'that chair is red', and I say 'no it's not, it's blue'; there's nothing you can say that will convince me that is isn't blue, yet you are forced to remain there and tell me for 10 hours that it's red... wouldn't you get annoyed? I should have left when I said I was going to but I was essentially told that would be admitting defeat, which is something I wasn't prepared to do.

I am sorry for calling you a twat though.

Apology accepted.
Let's move on.
Richard

At this point I am reminded of Mac in Green Wing:

'Join me again next week on 'Let's make no f***ing sense, when I will be waxing an owl'

Imagine you were sitting in a room with me, and there was a red chair in the middle of it. You say to me 'that chair is red', and I say 'no it's not, it's blue'; there's nothing you can say that will convince me that is isn't blue, yet you are forced to remain there and tell me for 10 hours that it's red...

On a more hilarious note, I knew a guy who got to sixth form who didn't know the primary colours...because his parents had taught him them round the wrong way...for a laugh.

I think this is amazing, and more people should screw with their kids (bad choice of words much?!?)

Twat fully withdrawn; I fully blame my own OCD for this whole incident. I did say last week I was banned from MuscleTalk for this exact thread! Thank you all for not resorting to 'I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in', as someone did there when I tried to explain friction to him.

Yours,

Upstart

EDIT: I said to GJ that the whole point of these is to provoke thought, which I hope it has done for a lot of you. A few people have said they enjoyed these, so perhaps I will do another with the proviso that I word the question very clearly, and do not sit at the computer for 4 hours straight so that I become tetchy.

SL

Twat fully withdrawn; I fully blame my own OCD for this whole incident. I did say last week I was banned from MuscleTalk for this exact thread! Thank you all for not resorting to 'I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in', as someone did there when I tried to explain friction to him.

Yours,

Upstart

EDIT: I said to GJ that the whole point of these is to provoke thought, which I hope it has done for a lot of you. A few people have said they enjoyed these, so perhaps I will do another with the proviso that I word the question very clearly, and do not sit at the computer for 4 hours straight so that I become tetchy.

SL

I'm coming round to your house to cave your head in

Not since I was banned GJ, I haven't had access to all the latest supplements or 'killer ab' workouts... I still buy Men's Health, but only for the pictures.

Once and for all

The key to understanding this problem is that the wheels can remain stationary in their own reference frame, but be moving in a whole other reference frame.

What is also key is understanding that the rate of the rotation of the wheels does not affect their displacement in a fixed reference frame.

Unfortunatley, the language with which the problem is being answered in is not the language which can explain the answer. mathematics holds the answer, and it cannot be explained through the words with which I write to you now.

However, for those that are struggling to get to grips with it, I suggest you consider other, well known and similar problems. Like Zeno's paradox (either the Athlete and the tortoise in a race, or moving towards a wall by stepping half the distance each time).

Or, you might like to try considering the sum of Geometric series where the r < 1.0 (i.e. adding 1 to 1/2 to 1/4 to 1/8 to 1/16 and so on...) What is the maximum this series can add up to? Infinity? No, it adds up to 2.

Lastly, you can try Lorentz transformations in the beginnings of Relativity.

All these problems share parallels with this. Counter-intuitive results, and that is why some people struggle to accept them, as they are contrary to everything they have experienced in their existence. However, given the correct tools and intelligent implementation, the answer can be proven a priori. Through mathematics.

You know those really long horizontal escalators at airports. Lets say I am walking backwards on one of those. The speed of the escalator is countering the speed I am walking, so in relation to the ground either side - I am going nowehere. Now imagine I have a jet pack on. I fire it up - I sodding fly....

haha.

Well we all learned something today. Some people learned that a plane will take off from a belt, I learned that I can be a bit of an ar$e. I say learned, reaffirmed is probably more accurate.