• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't say that Skill. While the plane is on the ground its forward motion (or "distance of travel" if you like) is measured by the turn of the wheel. Say the wheel's circumference is 20 feet then the plane will have move forward by 20 feet after one revolution - if the ground underneath the wheel has moved backwards by 20 feet then the plane won't have moved will it?
Genius Jon, pure genius.

YES!!! EXACTLY.

I'm going now to look at some trading related threads and I'm not coming back here. No really. As there can be no more concise, correct, articulate, erudite or intelligent answer than that given by HRH Barjon.

Dear oh dear. It seems you guys will just plain never get it. How many times do you have to be told the wheels have NOTHING to do with it, before you will stop going "But what if the wheels are spinning this fast, or this fast, or have done this many revolutions...."... Christ almighty...

"As there can be no more concise, correct, articulate, erudite or intelligent answer than that given by HRH Barjon."

OK enough brownie points earned :):):)

"this is the point that you, and everyone else who got it wrong can't understand - a plane's forward motion has nothing to do with how fast its wheels are spinning."

I didn't say that Skill. While the plane is on the ground its forward motion (or "distance of travel" if you like) is measured by the turn of the wheel. Say the wheel's circumference is 20 feet then the plane will have move forward by 20 feet after one revolution - if the ground underneath the wheel has moved backwards by 20 feet then the plane won't have moved will it?

jon

The planes engines, however, are operating in another - fixed - reference frame, and the plane can move with regard to a fixed reference frame becasue it is attached to the engines which generate a force to move themselves with regard to a fixed reference frame.

You could, for example, pick the whole conveyor belt and run with it at 180mph - the plane would take off.

Genius Jon, pure genius.

YES!!! EXACTLY.

I'm going now to look at some trading related threads and I'm not coming back here. No really. As there can be no more concise, correct, articulate, erudite or intelligent answer than that given by HRH Barjon.

Why do you persist in arguing? You may be a pilot, but that is nothing compared to Skill Leverage who works as a baggage handler at Heathrow airport. He is around conveyor belts all day!

OK I'm going to demonstrate my ignorance, what's FYP mean?
I can imagine what the FY means, but the P ?
Is it something sharp?

Why do you persist in arguing? You may be a pilot, but that is nothing compared to Skill Leverage who works as a baggage handler at Heathrow airport. He is around conveyor belts all day!

Actually it comes from my seventeen years' experience as a senior checkout technician at Waitrose, thank you very fu**ing much...

How would that cause confusion? That wouldn't stop the plane from taking off either, it would just mean that the wheels wouldn't spin at all.

The confusion comes from people being unable to see that the wheels have nothing to do with the thrust.

Again, for the record, the question was taken verbatim from my lecture notes, so I can only apologise on behalf of Professors Cummings, Laws, Redish and Cooney.

Hmmm, another bash at explaining...

Consider if the conveyor belt isn't moving. The plane starts at point A (where a big red line is drawn across the belt), engines turn on and the wheels make on revolution and the plane is forward the circumference of the wheels (2*r*Pi with r being the radius), at point B (where a big green line is drawn across the belt)

Now consider the plane without any engines on. The conveyor is turned on. Is the green line going to move to the front of the plane? Or will it continue to be the same distance away?

Another way of thinking about it...Instead of engines, have a rope attached to the front of the plane, if the rope starts moving away from the plane, it will drag the plane with it no? Hence the plane will move forward and take off?

Basically there are multiple things making the wheels spin, and they are adding to the speed of the wheels as opposed to cancelling out the movement of the plane.

May I boldly request the next one (getting bored with this one)? When will it be posted?

Last edited:
May I boldly request the next one? When will it be posted?

There won't be another one, not from me at least. Apparently I word them poorly and I'm an arrogant little upstart for being correct... I admit I do get fiery with my responses sometimes, but there's only so many times you can word an answer differently before you snap... I challenge GammaJammer, or anyone, to sit with Bramble/Charts for several hours repeating the same key issues, whilst receiving comments like 'little boy' and 'kissy kissy' without feeling some annoyance.

Maybe the next one should be 'put 20 t2w members in a room and see if they can agree how to finish a rubix cube?!' (and agree when it is actually finished!) ;)

Dude, you have to rise above all this... You're still a star in my book and I would absolutely love to get another 'un of these from you.

You shouldn't conflate Bramble and me, as most who have been here a while might tell you.
Neither should you react adversely when you use the word "basic" to me and call others "idiots" and you then get the same back after repeated provocation; you then call me a "sarcastic twat".
That's funny.