• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
under what conditions? it seems that this is the main point of disagreement.

everything can be solved with Newton II

Under the conditions stated in Post 1, and with frictionless wheels on their axis (but not with the ground)*. Although really it doesn't matter; it always takes off, unless it's being towed, engines off, by a car on the belt... which is something completely new, adding even more confusion...

*ezreddy(?) correctly pointed out that there's something of a paradox in the initial conditions, and that 'the speed of the belt matches the speed of the plane in the opposite direction' would be a better way of phrasing it. It doesn't change the outcome in any significant way, as far as we are using the belt for the purposes of this problem.

Glue a pig to a skateboard, position ensemble on a treadmill, place a (gloved) hand under its tail and push. Whatever speed you care to set the treadmill, you can still push the pig forward relative to the stationary treadmill frame, at least until you burn out the wheel bearings or the pig bites you for anal infringment.

Substitute pig for 747, hand for engines and add wings and off it flies.

Glue a pig to a skateboard, position ensemble on a treadmill, place a (gloved) hand under its tail and push. Whatever speed you care to set the treadmill, you can still push the pig forward relative to the stationary treadmill frame, at least until you burn out the wheel bearings or the pig bites you for anal infringment.

Substitute pig for 747, hand for engines and add wings and off it flies.

I know the answer and I still want to do this.

Great post, very similar to my 'blowing on a swiss ball that's on a treadmill' example, albeit far more amusing. They still won't get it though ;)

only war i remember was between skill and bramble yesterday !! And yes i am not old enough to remember 1966 befor u start lol

MrGecko,
Why don't you forward your latest avatar to British Airways?
A sort of shock and awe advert for them to use on their tail-planes.

claudia123 said:
wot - stick ya hand up a pig ??

My animal of choice is actually the waldesel but for the sake of argument a pig suffices.

Last edited:
Skill/Gecko/Other Flat Earthers - Let’s assume your 747 DOES take off under the conditions Skill specifies in post #1.

Do you agree the plane must be travelling at its take off speed for it to actually take off?

Can we agree that in order for the plane to reach take off speed it must have travelled some distance (X) from its starting point at the beginning of the conveyor belt to its take off point. OK with that?

Skill/Gecko/Other Flat Earthers - Let’s assume your 747 DOES take off under the conditions Skill specifies in post #1.

Do you agree the plane must be travelling at its take off speed for it to actually take off?

Can we agree that in order for the plane to reach take off speed it must have travelled some distance (X) from its starting point at the beginning of the conveyor belt to its take off point. OK with that?

Yup.

Have you read the posts by GJ and numerous other people since confirming that we're right by the way?