Should the Scotland vote worry anyone ?

Yeah that took cable to 1.6050 earlier today ...

And yet you can still get 2:1 at the bookies on a yes vote.
It aint gonna happen.
Where's a pairs trader when you need one.
2:1 on plus long GBP, must be able to make money on that.
I mean thats why we're discussing this on a trading 'site', in order to make money right?

Last edited by a moderator:
It aint gonna happen.
I mean thats why we're discussing this on a trading thread, in order to make money right?

Correct but its a bit tricky , the downside risk for your longs is open , the fixed odds profits may not necessarily cover your downside on Cable , unless you bet big on a YES , and if you do then your Cable longs may not be that profitable after all ...

Scottish newspaper Daily Record reports latest indyref poll has 53% No, 47% Yes

It aint gonna happen.
I mean thats why we're discussing this on a trading 'site', in order to make money right?

Odds have narrowed from 16:8 to 15:8
I guess some people are trying out this trade. ;)

Was it not only last year that a oil refinery in grangemouth was threatened with closure as not being financially viable, I think the Scots are hoping to run the whole Scottish economy from the proceeds from the oil, there is very little else comes out of Scotland. Maybe Alex salmond needs to visit the baby pips section on risk management.

I'm currently working on Grangemouth.

Grangemouth counts for 9% of Scotlands total manufacturing output.

The reason the strike crumbled last year was the threat of Ineos to close the whole operation down if the new terms and conditions were not accepted. Management played an absolute blinder...there was zero chance that Salmond could afford the place to shut down ahead of the independance vote and the workers had no other jobs to go to anyhow.
Refineries btw have to operate on just 1.5% margin...in other words, theres just no money left to be made in UK refining which is why a good number of them have shut down.

Shell Haven. (London)
Coryton. (London)
Milford Haven. (South West Wales)
PetroPlus ( North East)

Should the Scotland vote worry anyone?

Well Scotland is not in the EU so presumably Scotts will no longer be able to work in England.

It's a weird thing about referendums/referenda - if you get a YES, well it's sorta done and dusted. But if you get a NO (like in Quebec) you get another referendum (neverendum). Seems like a YES seals the deal but a NO is only a temporary thing to be assaulted until it gives way to a YES. Whether it ever does of course is another thing, but the lopsidedness of it all pleases me greatly. Lends a certain inevitability to the randomness of human nature.

Reactions: tar
You know the old saying Buy the rumour sell the news? Well, guess what, the old Scotland independence thing is no different.

All the talk, even of even RBS relocating to London on a YES vote has already been factored in. The next 8 days is purely an opportunity for the strong hands to start quietly loading up on sterling.

6600 on or by September 19th.

Should the Scotland vote worry anyone?

Well Scotland is not in the EU so presumably Scotts will no longer be able to work in England.

I expect that everything will be ok, provided thoe people pay their taxes. If they get cute and claim nationality for tax reasons, then they should be investigated.

The tax man can, usually, solve all these details about nationality.

Last edited:
The referendum is biased because the many thousands of Scots living elsewhere don't get a vote.
A yes vote may cause a bit of a backlash south of the border sending them home to live with the fish.....?

Reactions: tar
The referendum is biased because the many thousands of Scots living elsewhere don't get a vote.
A yes vote may cause a bit of a backlash south of the border sending them home to live with the fish.....?

I'd be interested in differences between age group 16 and 60 year old votes?

with the recent announcements now from larger companies and a few other voices in the mix .........any intelligent "unsure" must press the no button to preserve the status quo they seemingly were implying they wanted..........

all this wasted taxpayer money on this farce.............very very frustrating

N

That's the way we live. Cataluña is the same but with the caveat, with all that money spent, that the referendum may not take place because of the legality of it!

Artur Mas says one thing, one day, and something else the next.

Today is La Diada, Cataluña's national day and a public holiday.. It is considered to be a rallying cry for people to go on the streets in a peaceful manifestation for independence.

The press and politicians will be watching the turnout so, if anyone is interested, watch the Spanish press tomorrow.

Should we rename streets etc. to be more English ?
What about Scotland Yard ? to .........? Fuzz HQ ?

Latest news is the Lochness monster is drawing up plans for a move to windermere in the event of a yes vote.

Apparently it's already happened!

Attachments

• Nessie.JPG
    Nessie.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 146
I'm hoping if Scotland votes YES Alex will buy himself a new suit. He's been in the same one for months.

It just goes to show that our country along with the US is run by big corporations (and not that many either see link http://i.imgur.com/k0pv0.jpg ).
When it looks like the natives are getting restless and start talking about a yes vote, the big guns (corporations) come out and say we will close down companies in Scotland.