Should the Scotland vote worry anyone ?

This is sort of funny and not funny. Each to their own...

Keep reading to the end it gets better. :whistling

The Black Death reaches England
The summer of 1348 was abnormally wet. Grain lay rotting in the fields due to the nearly constant rains. With the harvest so adversely affected it seemed certain that there would be food shortages. But a far worse enemy was set to appear.

It isn't clear exactly when or where the Black Death reached England. Some reports at the time pointed to Bristol, others to Dorset. The disease may have appeared as early as late June or as late as August 4. We do know that in mid-summer the Channel Islands were reeling under an outbreak of the plague. From this simple beginning the disease spread throughout England with dizzying speed and fatal consequences.

The effect was at its worst in cities, where overcrowding and primitive sanitation aided its spread. On November 1 the plague reached London, and up to 30,000 of the city's population of 70,000 inhabitants succumbed.

Over the next 2 years the disease killed between 30-40% of the entire population. Given that the pre-plague population of England was in the range of 5-6 million people, fatalities may have reached as high as 2 million dead.

One of the worst aspects of the disease to the medieval Christian mind is that people died without last rites and without having a chance to confess their sins. Pope Clement VI was forced to grant remission of sins to all who died of the plague because so many perished without benefit of clergy. People were allowed to confess their sins to one another, or "even to a woman".

The death rate was exceptionally high in isolated populations like prisons and monasteries. It has been estimated that up to two-thirds of the clergy of England died within a single year.

Peasants fled their fields. Livestock were left to fend for themselves, and crops left to rot. The monk Henry of Knighton declared, "Many villages and hamlets have now become quite desolate. No one is left in the houses, for the people are dead that once inhabited them."

The Border Scots saw the pestilence in England as a punishment of God on their enemies. An army gathered near Stirling to strike while England lay defenseless. But before the Scots could march, the plague decimated their ranks. Pursued by English troops, the Scots fled north, spreading the plague deep into their homeland.

In an effort to assuage the wrath of God, many people turned to public acts of penitence. Processions lasting as long as three days were authorized by the Pope to mollify God, but the only real effect of these public acts was to spread the disease further.

Haha - God delusion... Great stuff! :innocent:

Last edited:
On the news today. All 3 leaders of Westminster parties are off to Scotland to try persuade some voters - panic tactics in fact.

Give them a fair deal guys to organise their own affairs without interference from London, which should have happened a long time ago and not forced out of tight-assed Westminster clowns.

If they still want independence then goodbye imho

Just don't try bribery and insult them too much.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
On the news today. All 3 leaders of Westminster parties are off to Scotland to try persuade some voters - panic tactics in fact.

Give them a fair deal guys to organise their own affairs without interference from London.

If they still want independence then goodbye imho

Just don't try bribery and insult them too much.

Wish our dumb "leaders", would consider the issue that some of us English may not want the Scots, and would like to run our own country.

Independent England...................:medieval::medieval:

Wish our dumb "leaders", would consider the issue that some of us English may not want the Scots, and would like to run our own country.

Independent England...................:medieval::medieval:

I suspect that's why many of the Scots are fed up with influence from Westminster (like we are with Scottish MPs who vote on our matters). Last time they believed what Westminster said about giving them more devolution they got many years of Margaret Thatcher (serve them right?) So it's no wonder they find it hard to believe the garbage from Cameron, Miliband, and Gordon – none of whom appears capable of speaking an honest sentence. From a political (not economic I hasten to add) view this is all getting rather interesting.

Last edited:
I suspect that's why many of the Scots are fed up with influence from Westminster (like we are with Scottish MPs who vote on our matters). Last time they believed what Westminster said about giving them more devolution they got many years of Margaret Thatcher (serve them right?) So it's no wonder they find it hard to believe the garbage from Cameron, Miliband, and Gordon – none of whom appear capable of speaking an honest sentence. From a political (not economic I hasten to add) view this is all getting rather interesting.

Yep and mixed messages too. A colleague has pointed out that as it stands the YES vote campaign is telling the Scots; vote for us and nothing will change everything will remain the same but we will govern our own destiny. We'll keep the Queen, there will be no borders and we'll also keep the pound. Businesses will remain the same and we'll have even more employment and get to spend our own oil proceeds.

On the other hand vote NO and things really will change. We'll give you even more powers and autonomy than before.

Interesting perspective I had not noticed before.

So all very mixed signals as to who is promising what and what's likely to change and what not???

I wanted "No" up until now but I am gettng the impression that Cameron is likely to make too many promises and all the non-Scots will suffer for it.

A Scots woman, married to an Englishman and living in England said, on 5Live, that there were no university charges in Scotland, but the other students had to pay 9000 pounds. She said that that could not be fair and, if she had the vote, she would vote "Yes" and let them get on with it.

I think that making them new last minute offers, smacks a bit of panic. I'm inclined to let the referenndum run its course, now.

I wanted "No" up until now but I am gettng the impression that Cameron is likely to make too many promises and all the non-Scots will suffer for it.

A Scots woman, married to an Englishman and living in England said, on 5Live, that there were no university charges in Scotland, but the other students had to pay 9000 pounds. She said that that could not be fair and, if she had the vote, she would vote "Yes" and let them get on with it.

I think that making them new last minute offers, smacks a bit of panic. I'm inclined to let the referenndum run its course, now.

Re: university fees I think it is fair.

If the Scot comes down to a Southern uni he would have to pay right? So that's fair cop to me. (y)

Re: university fees I think it is fair.

If the Scot comes down to a Southern uni he would have to pay right? So that's fair cop to me. (y)

.......... but it's our dosh that's allowing them not to charge fees up north of the border

.......... but it's our dosh that's allowing them not to charge fees up north of the border

Yeah right! Our tax that we pay giving the Scotch a free education.
What am I saying, I'm a spread bettor, I dont pay tax!
Ah sod it let em have free education. :LOL:

Yeah right! Our tax that we pay giving the Scotch a free education.
What am I saying, I'm a spread bettor, I dont pay tax!
Ah sod it let em have free education. :LOL:

I think the markets give us our free education!

They get a budget like everyone else. They have autonomy and their own devolved assembly to prioritise what they want to spend their budgets on.

The North Sea Oil is also going into the IR coffers as well.

This is what's likely to get the Scots back up. Thinking we are giving it to them.

One team, one goal, one nation, one flag. All for one and one for all.

They get a budget like everyone else. They have autonomy and their own devolved assembly to prioritise what they want to spend their budgets on.

The North Sea Oil is also going into the IR coffers as well.

This is what's likely to get the Scots back up. Thinking we are giving it to them.

One team, one goal, one nation, one flag. All for one and one for all.

I was fillin up then ...

Is this just media hype.
When the vote will end being an easy no end result.

Is this just media hype.
When the vote will end being an easy no end result.

there wont be an end to it ever based on a 50/50 split.
What dimwit in the UK agreed that one vote over the 50% constituted a majority.

There should have been a much higher hurdle eg 60/40 before either side could claim a majority and final decision.

Absolute political shambles.

I suspect that's why many of the Scots are fed up with influence from Westminster (like we are with Scottish MPs who vote on our matters). Last time they believed what Westminster said about giving them more devolution they got many years of Margaret Thatcher (serve them right?) So it's no wonder they find it hard to believe the garbage from Cameron, Miliband, and Gordon – none of whom appears capable of speaking an honest sentence. From a political (not economic I hasten to add) view this is all getting rather interesting.

Best thing that ever happened to them.:LOL:

Things are deffo hotting up....not just on the Scots front.....but Nigel shaking things up south of the wall. Very interesting times indeed.

Best thing that ever happened to them.:LOL:

Things are deffo hotting up....not just on the Scots front.....but Nigel shaking things up south of the wall. Very interesting times indeed.

AND what does Nigel think of wee Scotland then?