S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

Catch up time. In terms of the DOM - you can trade off the DOM - but not all DOMs are equal. For example - if you compare Ninja DOM & XTrader DOM, there's a lot more info on the XTrader DOM.

With thin markets, the quantities on the DOM are much more relevant than on thick markets. You can play off exceptional size limit orders in thin markets, although it's not a simple matter of fading size or trading into size. It's more seeing size & then guaging the markets reaction.

Looking @ T&S to see buying/selling thin out is problematic for a couple of reasons. First of all, the CME splits the orders and so a 500 lot order can appear to be a 'burst' of orders once it's been split according to the limits it's filled against. Secondly and more importantly - the Time & Sales will slow & speed up all day, so you have to be pretty tuned into it to notice a shift over time. You can't just glance across at it and get instant meaning from it.

As well as the T&S drying up, the other common reversal signal is orders continuing to be placed but price no longer moving up. The problem with this in an uptrend is you'll see this occur when an index arbitrage program is hitting the market - you'll see somoene step up and absorb the buying BUT it's a temporary thing and it's only half the trade - the other half is being executed on the underlying.

I think there's a lot to be said for seeing the 'holding pattern' at the top and then seeing sellers jump on it. You wont get the precise entry at the top but you will have a higher probability trade in my opinion.

Of course, this is for calling a reversal. A pullback is a bit easier to play off the DOM and the DOM/T&S signal can be taken without the need for confirmation.

I don't think it is viable to trade just off DOM - you need T&S too. DOM is available liquidity, T&S is the consumption of the liquidity. Both together tell a story. The imbalance causes price to change. Flow of money predominantly in one direction causes it to change in the form of a trend.

At the risk of being struck off for plugging my warez....

Iceberg Orders and Market Manipulation - YouTube

This has been on T2W before, so my apologies for those that have seen it. You'll probably need to select HD & maximise it to make sense of it.

If you look over on the right, you can see a DOM that has 2 additional columns in the center. These are the trades hitting the bid & offer. This was done for the reason you outline above - you need to see intent & actual. You need to see what was on the DOM as well as the orders that consumed the liquidity.

Catch up time. In terms of the DOM - you can trade off the DOM - but not all DOMs are equal. For example - if you compare Ninja DOM & XTrader DOM, there's a lot more info on the XTrader DOM.

With thin markets, the quantities on the DOM are much more relevant than on thick markets. You can play off exceptional size limit orders in thin markets, although it's not a simple matter of fading size or trading into size. It's more seeing size & then guaging the markets reaction.

Looking @ T&S to see buying/selling thin out is problematic for a couple of reasons. First of all, the CME splits the orders and so a 500 lot order can appear to be a 'burst' of orders once it's been split according to the limits it's filled against. Secondly and more importantly - the Time & Sales will slow & speed up all day, so you have to be pretty tuned into it to notice a shift over time. You can't just glance across at it and get instant meaning from it.

As well as the T&S drying up, the other common reversal signal is orders continuing to be placed but price no longer moving up. The problem with this in an uptrend is you'll see this occur when an index arbitrage program is hitting the market - you'll see somoene step up and absorb the buying BUT it's a temporary thing and it's only half the trade - the other half is being executed on the underlying.

I think there's a lot to be said for seeing the 'holding pattern' at the top and then seeing sellers jump on it. You wont get the precise entry at the top but you will have a higher probability trade in my opinion.

Of course, this is for calling a reversal. A pullback is a bit easier to play off the DOM and the DOM/T&S signal can be taken without the need for confirmation.

I was taking a look into the DOM since a few weeks back, and it is not an easy tool at all, not that it is a lot of good and reliable info out there... probably it takes months to start to make sense of it not being lost and for it being "helpful".... so these explanations and readings are always very welcome
Thanks DionysusToast

2:00am CHF UBS Consumption Indicator 1.41 1.20
2:00am EUR German Import Prices m/m -0.5% -0.2% 0.7%
All Day EUR German Prelim CPI m/m -0.1% 0.2%
6:00am GBP CBI Realized Sales -7 -6
9:00am USD S&P/CS Composite-20 HPI y/y -2.7% -3.5%
10:00am USD CB Consumer Confidence 69.8 69.2

6:45pm NZD Building Consents m/m 19.8%
7:15pm JPY Manufacturing PMI 50.7
9:30pm AUD Retail Sales m/m 0.2% 0.9%
9:30pm AUD Construction Work Done q/q 3.1% -4.6%

Not much in the diary but some catching up to do in the S&P

I was taking a look into the DOM since a few weeks back, and it is not an easy tool at all, not that it is a lot of good and reliable info out there... probably it takes months to start to make sense of it not being lost and for it being "helpful".... so these explanations and readings are always very welcome
Thanks DionysusToast

If you stare at it for long enough, you start to see Enzzo.

yep, I guess so, but it is bloody different than "common" chart reading...hehehe
thanks for the encouragement :)

It's harder because it is (a) busier and (b) richer so you are absorbing more data and it takes more experience to see/sift it into something meaningful.

If you want to learn the DOM - the No Bull**** Day Trading eBook is a good start. It's only $40 and comes with videos.

It'll become more confusing before it becomes clearer though.

I am showing a 3 min chart - with possible outcome

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    118.4 KB · Views: 172
At the risk of being struck off for plugging my warez....

The website owners are really short - sighted imho. This is the sort of quality post that they so desperately need to keep anyone beyond newbie, happy.

But they will think they know best until it's too late.

If you want to learn the DOM - the No Bull**** Day Trading eBook is a good start. It's only $40 and comes with videos.

It'll become more confusing before it becomes clearer though.

Thanks for the tip....
I've heard about it before, so I think it is really worthy...
Will take a look to it :)

Well it did get into profit for a short time before plummeting !

Hi Pat...
Let me ask you a question if you don't mind...
Don't you ever consider at all the higher tf's for trading the 3 min charts?
I mean, the 1H tf (that is intraday tf imho) is kind of showing the market is not going up "smoothly", it made a higher high and is making higher lows, but it is showing divergence in some indicators like the Macd i.e. and it makes deep retraces each time it tries to make another high.....this makes me think that is about to make a bigger or smaller move down sooner than later...
Do you think is not necessary this kind of analysis to scalp or to trade off the 3 min for example?
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• sp500.gif
    sp500.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 173
Hi Pat...
Let me ask you a question if you don't mind...
Don't you ever consider at all the higher tf's for trading the 3 min charts?
I mean, the 1H tf (that is intraday tf imho) is kind of showing the market is not going up "smoothly", it made a higher high and is making higher lows, but it is showing divergence in some indicators like the Macd i.e. and it makes deep retraces each time it tries to make another high.....this makes me think that is about to make a bigger or smaller move down sooner than later...
Do you think is not necessary this kind of analysis to scalp or to trade off the 3 min for example?
Thanks in advance :)

Well since you ask me, a mere amateur. I think your analysis is very good and will usually pay off. But nothing is a 100% certain which makes it a challenge.
The short time frames need watching closely imho. As with my earlier trade, a potential profit suddenly became a loss.

I am also using a neural net on a 4hr column, 2 hour column and a 1 hour one. It is very time consuming doing it manually and has only got a 50/50 result so far this morning. If the w/l ratio doesn't improve soon I will dump it.

Well since you ask me, a mere amateur. I think your analysis is very good and will usually pay off. But nothing is a 100% certain which makes it a challenge.
The short time frames need watching closely imho. As with my earlier trade, a potential profit suddenly became a loss.

yep, of course...as you say on those very short TF's (not even talking about trading with the DOM, that would be even faster) you gotta be very fast and fresh of mind to take your profits, other way this beast will turn your profit in a loss in a blink of eye