my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy, Interrupted

There is a movie called "Girl, Interrupted":
http://www.moviesonlineathome.org/watch-2113-Girl-Interrupted

I couldn't really watch it (too boring), so I don't know what it's about. But I could be the subject of a similarly titled movie: "Guy, Interrupted".

This is because Vito the Chimp is back with a vengeance.

Today he interrupted me about 20 times. Once he even interrupted my work, for 30 minutes, to ask me to help a girl with the printer - now he enlists my help to assist people in other offices. I went, helped her, because i felt sorry for this new girl, but never again. I told vito to never ask me again something like that.

I am already bothered enough by him to worry about helping his friends.

He's showing some efforts, such as closing the door after himself, after - thank god - they call him to another room and he has to go waste other people's time.

Then today he started giving me chocolates.

I remember this is something another guy was doing at another bank I was working at, in Luxembourg, over 10 years ago. My worst enemies are into the habit of bringing me chocolates, I suppose to appease me, but the problem is that they don't realize how they still abuse me. Much like my father, who in some way shows love, and in most other ways bothers me and made my life hell.

I don't need chocolates from Vito. It's not that I dislike his face. I dislike what he does. All they would need to get me to like them is to stop busting my balls and let me focus on my work, without asking 30 questions per day.

I am very tired and stressed out by this chimp asking me restlessly for help. My performance is lowered by a good 30% because of this chimp.

These guys - the guys busting my balls the most - even show some love for me, but cannot help busting my balls nonetheless. Because of how they were raised - impolite. Because of their high uncontrolled energy level: restless, hyperactive. I suppose I should be more tolerant. But I don't feel it's fair to ask me that, because whereas they're bothering me, I am not bothering them. Whereas I am trying to work, they are trying to slack off and have fun. Whereas I am doing their job, they're not doing mine. Whereas I am helping them, they're not helping me. It's not fair to ask a hard worker to tolerate slackers the way they tolerate him. You can't say "since the slacker tolerates you, you should show as much tolerance for the slacker". It's not fair. The slacker must die.

I wish I could put all these people on my ignore list and make them disappear from my life. Block their disturbances, like I do on the internet. Internet is the place I should always work, my work place, because it allows me total focus. If i don't want slackers around me, i just don't go on msn messenger. Or I go there and block them. At the office you can't do the same. Internet is the way of the future, the way of the future, the way of the future...

On the other hand, the systems today did very well. In the last 24 hours they made more money than they have ever made in 4 months.

That's because I don't do any discretionary trading and the systems don't care if I am serene or not. They trade by themselves.

Last edited:
ecstatic about systems' wins

Systems are still on their draw-up, winning in 2 days more than they have in 4 months, and I am ecstatic.

The good thing is that now I am totally in control because it is not my account. Had it been my account, I wouldn't have gotten here. I would have blown it out during the drawdown, out of despair. If I had gotten this far, I would risk losing my calm because of the wins.

Instead it's not my money and everything will go as planned, without any tampering, in either systems' trades, nor in contracts allocated.

I can get excited all I want, but the systems will keep trading as planned.

In the meanwhile Vito keeps bothering me and interrupting me. He destabilizes me. I hate him. He can tell I hate him, and he's showing love and patience by closing the door whenever possible... yet he still interrupts me day after day.

I am basically training him like the chimp he is. I am trying to teach him some manners - not to interrupt me when I am working, to be serious instead of joking around all day long... to respect me, as an adult. I don't care if I look like I am his age - I am not. He should treat me like he treats all the other older people in the office: with respect and keeping a distance. I want to work.

I am not his playmate. When he's bored, he can write poetry but not turn to me and bust my balls. I am working all the time and I only want to be interrupted if he needs my help with work-related stuff and only up to 10 times per day. I don't want to be interrupted just to fool around. I've been nice, but there's a limit. I want him to really understand that I need him to be serious with me like he is with the managers. I am not there to joke around with him. I want to work, and without distractions.

Last edited:
Unbelievable ******* EUR_ID_5

It's losing 900 dollars and ruining my celebrations.

It must be because I started talking to my dad and went on for 3 hours. During our boring chat he made the EUR collapse.

So far these had been the trades on the EUR_ID_5 and today it has lost yet another time, its ninth loss in a row:

Unbelievable. I definitely cannot stop trading that system now. Not after 9 losses in a row.

Especially since the system is a healthy one, with profits during a down EUR phase, with a good-looking equity curve...

Snap2.jpg

with total correspondence between forward-testing and back-testing (it gets executed the way it was back-tested)...

Snap3.jpg

I have to keep it because I know it won't lose for longer than 6 months in a row.

I had just bought a whole bottle of Baileys and was drinking it to celebrate the many wins of these two days, but it looks like the wrong timing. Damn.

Terrible...

Terrible...

-1000 dollars now for the EUR_ID_5 and -250 for the ZN_ID.

Update:

I'll be happy if at the end of the day I'll only lose 500. Only half an hour to go for the ZN_ID, and 45 minutes for the EUR.

Not good. The ZN trade lost 250. The other is not looking good.

All right... 1200 dollars lost today. It sucks. There's a GC trade that was open, so maybe it will recoup some money.

What counts is that the systems that lost all this money seem to be healthy systems that will eventually make money.

Last edited:
Re: Unbelievable ******* EUR_ID_5

The forex markets were really choppy today. My systems showed crazy behaviour. I almost shut them down. I lost 50 pips in an hour on the AUS-USD. That was not fun. I hate it when the system buys at the top and sells at the bottom.

How is the legal research going? Have you figured out the best way to wire the money into your account? Won't you get taxed at the highest rate if you are working as a normal employee?

Yes, it's hard to translate the legal stuff from Italian. As I said before, this is the area:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authors'_rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

I would not be classified as a fund manager, or anything in that field. Or at least I must try to not be considered as such. I should and will try to fit into the same category as people creating software.

When questions by the bank should arise, or when it will be the time to pay taxes, I will fill out the forms accordingly. I created a software, the software is being used, I am getting paid for it. It's not like I am managing people's money.

Laws can be interpreted, so sooner or later someone might bust my balls about this, and argue that I am actually a money manager, illegally so, but this is the best I can do. The alternative is tax evasion, but the way compliance deparments work (I work for one), I would get more in trouble by doing that. Sooner or later, someone from the bank would ask me "what are these wire payments?", and I need to be ready to explain it. If it's been going on for a year, then I would probably be asked to show some tax forms about it. If I don't show them, I might get reported to the Financial Authorities, and then in a year the financial police will come to my house and take my computers. And if they do that, I am screwed because they will definitely take all my systems. Once you're investigated, you're screwed.

Last edited:
wow, finally

Finally, disktrading.com sent me the GBL data. Anyway, today, once again, I woke up at 5 AM. Someone woke me up. A nightmare with vito, some subconscious worry about him, the neighbours slamming their door (at 5 AM) or the other neighbour crying (the baby). Whoever it was, I wish death upon them all. Now I'll go back to sleep and screw work, and hopefully my father won't bust my balls in some devious subtle way, such as knocking on my door asking me some bull**** question. It's 7.30 am, the GC trade is doing ok, making up for some losses... I'm going back to sleep. After drinking some baileys. **** them all: vito, work, neighbours, father.

Last edited:
loss by the GC, too

Not good. All those wins I was celebrating have been wiped out, because the GC lost about 1000 in this last overnight trade. Next time I will not celebrate for just a few thousands. Now, on top of this mess, I have wasted 20 dollars on the Baileys bottle and I am drunk.

Re: loss by the GC, too

I hate to suggest anything that might sound all buddy-buddy but I'm now down $2000 on the EUR-USD. How's your system taking it? It's these G20 politicians, flouncing around in South Korea or somewhere eating their canapes and drinking their wine and saying dumb things they shouldn't say to the financial press outside.

My systems never take it personally. They're still working as usual, without being destabilized by the losses, as I certainly would.

We're still profitable but the losses by Gold are worrying me. Another one of these disastrous Gold trades and we're not going to be profitable anymore. And to think that yesterday I bought a bottle of Baileys to celebrate.

I hope to learn one lesson from today: don't celebrate a 3000 dollars win by a group of systems that can lose 2000 dollars within just 24 hours. What you make in one day you can also lose in one day, so do not celebrate that, ever again. Only celebrate if you made 5000 dollars over the course of a month.

On the other hand, the good news is that Vito today and yesterday has been quiet. He's starting to understand that - whichever way you put it - I need him to be quiet and not distract me all day long with his stupid jokes, which are just stupid, besides being a waste of time and concentration.

Last edited:
Latest developments on the Vito front

When I was leaving he asked me if I had a problem with him. I told him "yes, I am trying to focus. You're a nice guy, but I have to work and I can't be distracted. I told you from the first day you were here: I invited you to lunch, and then an hour later I told you that we had to stop talking because I needed to work and since then it's been the same way every day". Then I left in peace and I wished him a good weekend.

He said that from now on he won't interrupt me anymore. He said he was afraid I disliked him which of course I denied but it's obviously the case, after 4 months of interruptions. I hate him after all the **** I took from him. I don't dislike him as a person - I dislike what he does: interrupting me all the time. He said he'll stop. Let's hope he really understood after a whole 4 months together. Nightmarish 4 months.

Just as I will do for the profit by the systems, I want to see a whole month of good behaviour by Vito, before assuming it will continue.

Eventually I will succeed in training Vito, if he stays long enough in the room, just as I succeeded in training everyone else. He's been the toughest chimp to train so far. Actually there was one idiot I never could train, the guy with the radio: that asshole kept playing his goddamn radio from day one till the last day.

The reason I will succeed in training Vito and not the other way around is that:

1) I am better
2) I am more stubborn
3) I work and he slacks off so I have more rights to be the way I am: we are not at the office to have fun (like he does) but to work so I don't care if I exceed in my seriousness, because too much seriousness will always beat too much screwing around, as long as we're not in the entertainment business.

Last edited:
thank god for the CL_ID_3 (but not for Vito)

Thank god for the CL_ID_3 which is showing us a win tonight. I couldn't have stomached another loss after a week with the evil EUR_ID_5 (-1000), GC_ON (-1300) and Vito. CL_ID_3 is employee of the week. GBL_ID is employee of the month, and also employee of the season.

[later edit]

Ok, this is the part when I look at how a trade that was going well (CL_ID_3) actually got closed by the systems.

Cross our fingers type of thing.

If it got closed above 500 dollars profit, it's very good.
If it got closed below 300 dollars profit, it's kind of bad.
If it's in between, it's so so.

Let's look.

Yes, good: above 500. Not by much, but good.

So this means that most of the losses by Gold were recovered.

Now that it is clear that the systems did not end the week that badly after all - they have a low profit factor, so I'll have to get used to it (big wins and big losses, but slightly smaller and slightly less frequent than the wins) - I can focus on my other worries: Vito. I hate him. He makes me tired.

It will be a full-blown war against him if he doesn't show respect and doesn't stop interrupting me with the garbage coming out of his mouth. If he feels insecure or restless he'll have to turn elsewhere to find playmates to get his mind off his worries. I just ask to be left alone, I just ask to keep on working as I was doing before he was moved into my room. If he cannot adapt to someone who wants to just work and not play with him, he will have to die. I am not going to change for this ****ing idiot. I took him out to lunch. I was friendly. I helped him with any information he needed. But I will not be a fool to make his day more enjoyable. He'll have to find other fools like him in the other rooms around ours - there's plenty, a large majority.

Read my lips: I will train the chimp. I will not be trained by the chimp. Vito is a chimp and no one ever hears of a chimp training a human.

I am not good at getting along with people, but no one gets between me and my work and Vito won't be an exception. Especially because I am at the workplace, and in theory I have the right to work (if not the duty).

I am not good at getting along with people because usually I am not sure which my rights are - I know I tend to be intolerant so I hesitate a lot before saying what I am thinking ("you must die"). But in this case it's so ****ing clear that I have the right to work at my workplace that I definitely will fight for that right. Especially with a ****ing idiot who happens to be an intern (hopefully he won't even get hired).

Oh, I didn't tell you what this guy did today. I couldn't believe it.

There was this senior manager, close to retirement, from a foreign country, and this guy is like the head of our department or close to it. And guess what, in Italy we have "tu" and "lei", which is the equivalent of French "tu" and "vous". And when we address someone using the "tu" form it means they're on the same level. So I always address this guy respectfully using "lei" (French "vous"), and I've been at this place for 5 years. This guy is an intern, and he was using "tu" and eventually he said "ciao, X, thanks". Man... I hope this guy won't get far in life. He doesn't know his place. I hope rude people like him who treat everyone like their brother are not going to get far, despite their worthlessness. This is one of those guys who touch you when they talk to you. He touches me all the time. To keep this guy at a distance you basically have to run, because otherwise he'll come next to you and touch you. I wonder if I should watch a documentary on primates to see if there's anything good to learn about dealing with Vito.

Last edited:
Lucio Dalla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4wGfP8Kdkc

This last song, here above, has always been one of my favorites. It's about a baby who will be born and will be called "futura". To me this is a prophetic sign that I would have been trading futures and gotten rich with it.

I will translate it and paraphrase it so to make it sound like it's talking about me and my trading, and it's saying that Vito will die. This will help me carry on, with my dreams.

Chissà chissà domani - who knows tomorrow
su che cosa metteremo le mani - how much cash we'll have in our hands
se si potrà contare ancora le onde del mare - if we'll still be able to count the waves of the sea
e alzare la testa - and raise our head
non esser così seria, rimani - don't be so serious, stay
i russi, i russi gli americani - the russians, the americans
no lacrime non fermarti fino a domani - no tears, don't stop (having sex) until tomorrow
sarà stato forse un tuono - it must have been a thunder (that killed Vito)
non mi meraviglio - I would not be surprised
è una notte di fuoco - a night of fire (sex)
dove sono le tue mani - where are your hands
nascerà e non avrà paura nostro figlio - our son will be born
e chissà come sarà lui domani - and who knows how he will be tomorrow
su quali strade camminerà - on which streets he will walk
cosa avrà nelle sue mani.. le sue mani - what he will have in his hands
si muoverà e potrà volare - he will move, and he'll fly
nuoterà su una stella - he'll swim on a star
come sei bella - you're so beautiful
e se è una femmina si chiamerà futura. - and if it'll be a girl her name will be "futura"... (too tired to go on)
Il suo nome detto questa notte
mette già paura
sarà diversa bella come una stella
sarai tu in miniatura
ma non fermarti voglio ancora baciarti
chiudi i tuoi occhi non voltarti indietro
qui tutto il mondo sembra fatto di vetro
e sta cadendo a pezzi come un vecchio presepio.
Di più, muoviti più fretta di più, benedetta
più su, nel silenzio tra le nuvole, più su
che si arriva alla luna,si la luna
ma non è bella come te questa luna
è una sottana americana
Allora su mettendoci di fianco,più su
guida tu che sono stanco, più su
in mezzo ai razzi e a un batticuore, più su
son sicuro che c'e' il sole
ma che sole è un cappello di ghiaccio
questo sole è una catena di ferro
senza amore, amore, amore, amore.
Lento lento adesso batte più lento
ciao, come stai
il tuo cuore lo sento
i tuoi occhi così belli non li ho visti mai
ma adesso non voltarti
voglio ancora guardarti
non girare la testa
dove sono le tue mani
aspettiamo che ritorni la luce
di sentire una voce
aspettiamo senza avere paura, domani

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucio_Dalla

Last edited:
Ok, here he is!

First person I find on the web who's doing something close to what I've done. Finally. A system on excel that uses IB as a broker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_C44nTGwUg

This guy knows about excel 10 times more than me.

His web site:
http://exceltrader.net/

He sells the platform above for just 69 dollars:
http://exceltrader.net/atsxls-ib-automated-trading-charting-and-backtesting/

I should buy it in case I need help with creating things I can't create. All code in his programs is not protected, so you can learn things.

He even offers programs for free (a trading simulator):
http://exceltrader.net/excel-trading-simulator/

Who's this guy?
Registrant:
Patrick Hankins
N. 12th #1
Boise, Idaho 83702
United States

http://www.intelius.com/results.php...qmi=&qn=Hankins&qs=ID&trackit=74&focusfirst=1

So, here I was... checking out his profile (and everything matches) and I found this other guy (a subscriber of that channel - all subscribers must be pretty smart), and he has rated a bunch of brokers, pretty well done job:
http://highprobability.blogspot.com/2010/04/best-futures-broker-commission.html
http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/johnknight99/best-futures-broker-table

Then I was checking out his blog, and this guy actually made a good Automated Trading manual with videos:
http://highprobability.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-make-free-automated-trading.html

He also has a list of trading blog links:
http://highprobability.blogspot.com/search/label/Trading Blogs

This guy is a hard working person. I appreciate people like me.

Even better, he lead me to Boogster's Blog:
http://www.boogster.net/blog/

Tons of brains and hard work in these blogs I visited (exceltrader.net, highprobability, boogster):
http://www.boogster.net/blog/?p=4614

Even though it's not material I need nowadays.

Last edited:
watching popeye on tv

or rather, on my laptop:

Snap2.jpg

This is unusual for me. The fact is that if I worked I'd have to do something huge such as doing all the tests on the GBL data which disktrading finally sent me.

But I cannot do that much work, because I am tired - exhausted by another week with Vito. Relentlessly having to fight off his interruptions. Typical interactions are:

Travis: "I can't right now, I have to finish this".
Vito: "Are you mad at me?"
Travis: "No, I am just trying to not be interrupted".

Then he goes to the bathroom, and when he comes back he says "hi". "Yeah, hi... you said hi three times in the last 2 minutes".

One of the problems is that he is actually making efforts to be liked by me. I see them all the time: he really wants me to like him. Otherwise it would be easy for me to tell him "just don't talk to me, and pretend I don't exist". But I can't be so blunt, because I don't want to offend him. I cannot punish someone because he's stupid. He's so stupid that, instead of getting me to like him by simply not doing anything, he keeps on interrupting me trying to make me laugh or talk to him - which makes me hate him. He does not achieve what he's trying to achieve but the opposite. I've told him for four months that I want to work without being interrupted, and he still doesn't get it.

I feel very unsuccessful after all these years of work to still have to deal with such nimrods.

At times he shows efforts. Like in the last 2 days - he showed efforts. He was almost perfect, almost "normal". In other moments his restlessness takes over, and he opens his mouth and bothers me. When he opens his mouth he is rarely serious, which is an extra factor of disturbance. I feel disrespected by someone who rarely feels he has to be serious when he talks to me.

Last edited:
still up, still got it

Holy cow, I've still got it. Despite all the wear and tear by Vito the nimrod.

I sat down, stayed up a while, and gave it my best, and all GBL work is now done.

Good matching by all GBLs in terms of back-testing vs. forward-testing. I now have all the data for the top 40 systems I have. I still believe I could use those 8 systems that work well with reversing, despite the investors' skepticism. Anyway, the GBLs are very solid.

In the process I discovered that I could improve the results of GBL_ON so I changed it. Now it beats the GBL_ID. It doubled the profit with half the trades. Quite amazing.

Now I am all done. I certainly hope I don't die any time soon because I want to reap some profits from all this work. If I die before reaping some profits, I am going to be really upset.

That's why I am making sure that by all means I don't die by accident or anything like that. For example. Today this... I forgot her name friend asked me to go and meet her at the train station and I said "no, I don't leave the house, I told you before". I cannot afford to take any chances. If I stay home I am most likely safe.

Same with this other former girlfriend. She said if I'd be in Rome next weekend, and I said "of course, since I never leave the house". So she doesn't invite me again to switzerland, nor expects me to go pick her up at the airport, nor expects me to go on a walk with her.

Last edited:
more on Vito

What Vito will never understand is that some people don't feel... most people do not feel like joking around all the time. Joking is heavy and tiring usually.

You have to give people a break. And if you joke with them you should not think that just because you get them to laugh and to smile they're actually enjoying themselves. As soon as they leave they will feel tired and fatigued from that conversation they had with you. It is violent to force people to joke and laugh all the time. It's a heavy thing to impose on people.

Vito will not understand this and will be avoided because of it. By me for sure.

all work is done, now a long wait ahead

I've done more testing today, on the drawdown and the implications of scaling up, much more scientific than I've done until now. I realized that in fact we shouldn't even be trading all the systems we're trading according to the maximum historical drawdown. But I am not going to ask the investors to scale down, because it would be against my nature. Also because, come on, we cannot always be so unlucky as to come across the worst drawdown the minute we start trading.

According to our (the investors' and mine) theory of the "profit cushion", we cannot scale up and trade more systems until their max drawdown is covered by a profit cushion, that will ensure we never get to zero.

At the start of course this cannot be done, because if you can't trade the systems until you have profit, you cannot have any profit. So the investors set the maximum loss to 5000 (which in theory the presently traded systems could exceed and that's what I was referring to, above). Then as we will increase our profit, that -5000 dollars tolerance should gradually go to zero and into positive territory - that's what the investors want, and it makes sense. Now we can go down to minus 5000 before quitting. Later it will be zero. Later we want to keep a part of the profits made - even if the systems were to fail.

So, I've been digesting this concept and all its implications, and viewing different scaling up plans.

For one thing, we cannot scale up as we reach 5000, because a profit of 5000 doesn't even cover the max drawdown of the systems we're presently trading (which is 11k).

The latest plan I devised entails scaling up at 10k of profit, with 6 more systems (some of the ninth wave systems). I figured I owe this extreme care and safety to the investors, for putting up with me in 4 months of poor performance. Yeah, they had said we'd scale up at 5k, but we cannot do it. So here I am - the most reckless gambler, telling the investors we cannot scale up so soon. Pretty ironic. But the point is that if you have a rule, and it's clear to you, you cannot lie to yourself. If we use the "cushion" method, then we cannot scale up until that cushion (at the start including the -5000 tolerance cushion) covers the max drawdown by the systems we want to scale up with.

Today I went one step further and stopped calculating the drawdown by eye. I used the drawdown formula I had developed with the help of weighbridge a year ago. Then I invented a similar formula to calculate the length of the drawdown in traded days (not as important as the depth of course).

My initial dreams were of scaling up fast and be able to quit my job. The reality I've seen is a different one.

Basically the best 10 systems/contracts combination causes a drawdown of 10k.

The best 15 causes a drawdown of 15k.

The best 20 causes a drawdown of 20k.

It is roughly 1000 dollars of drawdown per system you add.

So you cannot just add 10 systems pretending this does not have any implications. And certainly you cannot tell today the investors that, if systems fail, we will lose 5000 of the initial capital. And tomorrow tell them that, if systems fail, we will lose 20 thousand of the initial capital. It has to be less and less, as I said. Eventually it has to be that they will make money from this thing even if the systems should one day fail.

Time flies. We've been doing this thing for over 4 months already and I've learned a lot of stuff in the process.

I could say that this has been one of the top 5 positive influences on my trading. If we include this experience within my journal, since I got in touch with them thanks to the journal, and if we include this journal within the wider instrument of financial forums, we could say that I owe over 50% of my progress to financial forums. Of course I am excluding my efforts from this calculation.

I would say that I owe all of my progress to financial forums (and people i met there) except for the one person who helped me the most to date and whom I met playing online risk, which I will go to play now, after this.

To conclude the scaling up talk, I want to say that the first phase will be at 10k, the second phase more or less at 20k... and basically one phase every 10k of profit, and at the start of each phase we will add 5 to 10 systems/contracts.

By the time we reach a profit cushion of 65k (I am afraid it will be over a year from now - that is why I grow restless, especially in my own trading), we will be making 10k per month, and I might be able to quit my job, with my parents' consent, if they are still alive. That will be when I'll start battling the financial police, when I'll have all those tax problems, wire payments to explain and all that. Inspired by the catchy title of a movie (made after a novel) I recently watched, That Was Then, This Is Now, we could say "This Is Now, That Will be Then", a long time from now. I wish taxes were a concern of the present. They're not. The concern now is staying alive and finding something else to do in the meanwhile. There's no way I'll jump back into creating more systems. I want to rest for a while, at least 6 months.

At the rate of 2500 per month, if we're lucky and the systems perform as well as in the past (in back-testing), we should reach 10k by the end of the year. One season every scaling up... spring 20k, summer 30k.. then things will start moving a little faster.

A long wait ahead. Now I should focus on sleeping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.