my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree because, as i said, I can't go automated unless I first have full control of my actions. Even if I were fully automated, as happened before, I'd feel the temptation to interfere with my systems, and I would act on that temptation.

Secondly, I can't go automated anyway, since I have no capital. So, either way, I shouldn't and I can't go automated, unless I first manage to be profitable with discretionary trading. I still have months and months ahead of me of just discretionary trading, and unless I want that to be a nightmare, i better start following my own rules: no more than two trades per day and always using a stoploss.

Could you go part automate - just have it open or close for a small part of the day?

Maybe you should write an anti-rule program to help? Something that shuts down trades that break your rules as soon as they are in profit for example?

ok, what is the method of your discretionary trading?

Well, I've written tons of posts about it, but I'll summarize it for you. I do top and bottom-picking. Especially at 3 PM Central Standard Time, when there's an overnight reversal.

Well, I've written tons of posts about it, but I'll summarize it for you. I do top and bottom-picking. Especially at 3 PM Central Standard Time, when there's an overnight reversal.

sounds solid enough :) just follow the rules

Could you go part automate - just have it open or close for a small part of the day?

Maybe you should write an anti-rule program to help? Something that shuts down trades that break your rules as soon as they are in profit for example?

Hmm, it sounds quite complicated. The thing I think I should do is simply abide by this sentence: two trades per day and always using a stoploss. Here it's just a question of deciding things (do I want money or just breaking rules and screwing around?) and of using some will power.

I know I have an edge, I know I can make money: I just have to stop making more trades than there are opportunities for my edge, and stop making more trades than my mind can handle (2 per day). In other words: i have to stop trading like a mad man, like a trading addict. Then, one distant day, whenever I'll reach 20k, I will trade the systems with the capital I'll have raised with discretionary trading. I don't see any other way. Unless I CAN raise capital with discretionary trading, it means I am not in control, and if I am not in control of my trading, I should have no capital. So if I'll deserve capital, I'll make it, and if I don't, I won't have any. It's perfect.

I have a job, so I'll always get some start-up capital from my salary, but I should not get capital from loans or anybody else, because if I wasn't capable of increasing my capital, it means that capital is not safe with me.

Last edited:
Do I want to make money or do I want to screw around?

You know, ultimately it all comes down to answering the question "do i want to make money?", because I can't explain otherwise why I don't do what I know to work (two trades per day).

But the problem with this question is that it sounds very similar to another question I've been asking myself for years and that is "do I want to sleep and be rested or not?". Each morning I wake up and find that I haven't slept enough. But each night, when it's time to go to sleep on time, in order to be rested on the next morning, I post-pone it and stay up a little longer, just enough to be tired the next day.

I do it on weekends (going to bed late even if I don't have to go to work) and I can't explain why I change my mind compared to the morning. Each morning I think I should have gone to bed earlier and each night (like right now) I postpone going to bed.

Why is that?

The answer seems to be that I don't want to sleep but I want to be rested.

The same with trading. After each loss, I say to myself "I should have followed the rules" and each time I am flat once again I stop caring about the rules and trade however way I feel like.

The answer here seems to be that I want to do whatever the hell I want but still make money.

Rebellion against my own rules? Rebellion against being a good boy who goes to bed early? What is it that makes me be a different person before/after the night I shouldn't be staying up and before/after the trade I shouldn't be making? I don't know. What I know is that I am not always like this. Sometimes I sleep well, but then everything in my life is perfect and that makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I feel I always have to be in some sort of unpleasant situation. Maybe being in the middle of some trouble keeps me distracted from thinking about death or something.

I don't know. I am restless and I don't know why. I am restless when I am about to go to sleep and so I postpone it. I am restless when I am in front of the charts, and so I trade.

I am not leading an optimal life, because an optimal and optimised life makes me uncomfortable. But at other times, once those optimal choices are behind me and I am dealing with the consequences of non-optimal behaviours, I regret not acting in an optimal way.

It seems as if I wanted to have good consequences for bad behaviours. As if I wanted to get the fruits of something I didn't work for. Maybe I am just spoiled? Maybe I've been writing hundreds of posts about how I've been abused, but, being an only child, without even realizing it, I am somehow spoiled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiled_child

I haven't been always like this and I know many other people are not like me, but some are. I don't know how to solve this sleeping-overtrading problem. I guess it's similar to those people who can't stop smoking and also overweight people who can't stay on a diet.... and a lot of other things, one or another, that all of us, one way or another, do not control in our lives. Things we could physically control, but somehow we choose, subconsciously or not, to not control and not do optimally. Or maybe we all have a hidden agenda that makes it a rational behaviour for us to smoke, eat, not sleep enough, overtrade... hurt ourselves.

Maybe the question is: am I willing to pay a price for success? Am I willing to work hard for a good outcome? Or would I rather not work hard and not get the good outcome? Trading is fun, staying up is fun. But tomorrow I'll have no money, and I'll be tired because I decided to have fun.

I do not have this answer. For sure trading has made me think a lot about the way I behave in general, and on the concept of "wanting" something. What exactly means "wanting"? Maybe we only want something we actually get. Because if I don't sleep, and I say I want to sleep, this should mean that I don't want to sleep. If I say I don't want to be fat, and then I eat, this maybe actually means that I want to be fat. And if I do bad trades when I know what the best trading rules are, then maybe this means that I don't want to make money.

Well, right now, it's time to sleep and I am not going to go to sleep. I'll watch a movie. I feel restless. That's just the way I feel before placing a trade: restless. Bottom line again: I either solve this, or I'll just keep on writing this journal for the next few years. I want to see if I can get something out of these posts. I think I can.

I am keeping track of my vicious circles if anything. If I am like a ship that goes around in circles and never reaches land, this journal will at least leave a trail of posts that will alert to the fact that I am going around in circles and that I had written this post and had this idea before. And to some extent I am indeed going around in circles.

Last edited:
Re: Do I want to make money or do I want to screw around?

Travis,
you have to find a trading style that suits your personality, or you have to change your personality to suit the way you trade.

Simple huh? :clap:

keywords: "sacrifice", "discipline", motto: "no pain no gain"

I think I will have to do both at once.

My whole life I've thought I had been abused by my father, when in fact the exact truth was that I had been abused verbally but spoiled in other ways: financially for example. I was given a lot. Except friendship, encouragement. With words I was given nothing, less than nothing. With facts everything was always taken care of. I even got to skip the army because my dad got me a job abroad so the law allowed me to not go to the army. All the jobs that I've held, my father got them for my with his connections. Yes, I was this spoiled. And all this time I've been saying he abused me: yes, because he verbally, since I was a child, kept on talking to me like a sergeant to an army recruit.

So mentally I was abused, and physically, financially I was spoiled. Plus, since I felt abused, which to some extent is true, I spoiled myself on top of it and banned the word "sacrifice". Since I had been abused I'd make no sacrifices in my life, and only treat myself kindly, because I had to make up for what I had been deprived of: narcissistic personality.

But, as I said last night, if you want to be rested tomorrow, you have to sleep during the night, and not watch a movie or write posts because you feel restless. If you want to make money, you have to postpone your restlessness, eliminate it, instead of venting out your frustrations on the market. You've got to renounce to something to achieve something.

No pain no gain, as they say.

You can't always have it easy. You can't take your time and be on time at work. You can't.

So from now on, I will try to remember that probably I am not failing because I was abused, but because I banned the word "sacrifice" from my life.

Don't get me wrong: I worked my ass off in terms of back-testing and automated systems. Intellectually, I did do a lot of work. But only when it suited me and taking my time. I didn't do anything that disrupted my life. Resisting urges to trade, eat, smoke, drink is something that disrupts my life instead, and I really need the "no pain no gain" mentality, the "army mentality" (getting up at 5 am, taking cold showers, etc.) in order to become a profitable discretionary trader. As everyone says I need "discipline": doing things you don't like. Which is something I have always avoided and that has always sounded stupid to me. I've always felt that once you find out what works, you just do it without any effort. Well, probably it is not the case. Probably I need to strengthen my will power, and include discipline and sacrifice into my life, at least as far as trading.

So far I've been thinking that I'd work my way around it. Keeping the refrigerator empty is a way to work your way around not using will power. There's nothing to eat, so you won't eat anything. But here it's different because the platform is there, and I can place the trades any time I want to.

So far I've thought "no brain no gain". I thought my intelligence would solve all problems, but in trading I've come to a point where all the reasoning in the world won't make me profitable. I need some will power to remove those obstacles (compulsive entries and not exiting with a loss). I keep on finding out that compulsive trading doesn't work, and I keep on repeating it, so that means that all the reasoning in the world will not save me.

Even in automated trading, where I don't have to do anything, just one trading binge is enough to blow out my account, so even there I need will power, discipline and sacrifice. My brain cannot always be a substitute for will power. Yes, the "no pain no gain" mentality won't get you very far in life, because you also need brain, but also this "no brain no gain" mentality of mine has shown its limits. Now that I've found out repeatedly, year after year, what does not work (compulsive trading), I need to use my non-existent will power to stop doing it. There are barriers that my intelligence and persistence cannot overcome. I need a pinch of will power, of which I have none. I cannot simply apply my intelligence and persistence and expect to solve all problems: some problems require you to actually do things you don't like.

So, do I want to feel rested in the morning? Well, then I am going to have to give up watching an extra movie, writing an extra post, etcetera. Maybe I don't like to put my brain to sleep and my brain rebels to that... but then I can't expect to be rested in the morning. Something has to go and be forsaken.

Do I want to be on time at work? I'll have to give up that kick I get out of being late and taking my time while shaving. I can't have the advantages from being late and being on time at once.

Do I want to make money in trading? I am going to have to give up these: getting back at the market, holding on to a losing trade, entering whenever the **** I feel like, on the spur of the moment and without any careful planning. That means a lot to me, obviously, or it wouldn't have stopped me until now. It means letting go of my ego. My big ego.

It's not going to be effortless. Changing my behaviour and my trading will cost me efforts. Also working on systems and automated trading cost me efforts, but the type of efforts that I enjoyed. This instead will cost me efforts of a different type, a type which I obviously do not enjoy. Restraining my freedom. Discipline is what I need, and it's a word I've always hated, because it reminds me of my dad and his military upbringing, which he both received and tried to instill in me.

Discipline is useful, but he forced it so much into me, that obviously I rebelled and grew to reject it as a whole, depriving myself of a very useful thing, because I cannot achieve everything through intelligence. As I said before, I can't always apply "no brain no gain", which used to be my own motto. It's time that I apply the much hated motto "no pain no gain". I need to say "no" to myself, at least sometimes, at least when I am trading, and it's going to cost me efforts. The markets will not let me have my way. I have always enjoyed the company of people who, for one reason or another, let me have my way, and I've always avoided those other people, who don't let me have my way (and sometimes even want to have their way). Well, for once in my life I am having to hang out with someone who doesn't let me have my way and always wants to have his way: the market. A very unpleasant roommate.

And all I can do is try to predict what his way will be next. And this is very much in conflict with my egotistic, selfish, individualistic, narcissistic, "control freak" personality. And I need discipline to change it. I can't just reason about it: nothing ever got solved in these over 12 years of trading. The time for reasoning is over: all the problems left can only be solved through discipline and will power. I need to make some sacrifice, I can't keep on always saying "yes" to my urges, desires, compulsions. I need to renounce to something to achieve something. I can't have my way in every aspect of my life.

In other words, I can come home from work, and on the way home, buy some cigarettes because I say "today I feel like smoking", but I can not sit down at my pc and say "today I feel like trading", which is what I've been doing until now. I must accept that I can't always say yes to my own urges and impulses. I've got to renounce to something if I want to make money. I can't treat trading as a way to vent out my frustration or kill my boredom.

Last edited:
Exactly. There's a quote, not sure who from:

"In the time between an event and our reaction to it, comes an instant of decision, a moment of choice that is our own, our human right, our untouchable freedom."

You just have to recognise that moment and use your will to make the next choice, rather than your emotions.

It gets easier with practice.

I guess it's called self-discipline too but it doesn't have to involve cold showers or getting up at 5am. Just the stuff you identify as useful to your cause, that you can focus your will on.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of will available so I will use it all up for trading.

I need to take control of my life again: I can't keep on living by default. As you said, I need to stop and think before letting that default action (compulsion) happen. I am in front of the screen, frustrated... I need to stop and think about whether I want to trade out of boredom/frustration and most likely lose money, or trade according to my rules and most likely make money.

We'll see tomorrow how it goes, once the new money wire comes in and i have money to trade again. But even today I was about to buy some cigarettes and I stopped and thought: do I want to keep a little more of my health or give in to my impulses? And then I didn't buy them. I said "no" to myself and to my urges.

I now realize that I was never Obsessive-Compulsive. I just had a very weak will-power all this time. That's why people kept calling me a "vegetable". My life was always at home, going between the bath tab, the couch and the bed, always with my laptop on my stomach. How can a vegetable say no to his compulsive gambling urges? Everything is coming together I think, the explanation is clear. Now, after describing so perfectly my problem, I need some will power to make it disappear. It won't disappear once and for all: I will constantly need will power to keep it under control.

Oh, and I didn't mention scratching my head. Ever since I was a teenager I've been scratching my head compulsively, not 24 hours a day of course, but at least once a day, except when i am on vacation and doing some physical activity like swimming. I always regretted having this habit, but I was never able to stop it. This would be a good test for my will. If I want to be profitable, I need to stop scratching my head as well. Probably being profitable at trading has more to do with being able to not scratch my head than with studying the markets, not just for me but also for everyone else. You should ask people if they have any compulsive behaviours or addictions like scratching, smoking and similar. And if they do, probably they're also unable to be profitable. Or maybe this only applies to me.

Anyway, today I will exercise my will power by not scratching my head or trying to. Maybe my will power is like a muscle that gets stronger by exercise.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/increase-willpower/
http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=3_ways_to_boost_your_will_power
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/4-ways-to-strengthen-your-willpower-430670/

Some interesting quotes from the above articles, in random order:

The research says this: as much as we’d wish otherwise, we don’t have separate willpower accounts for different areas of life...

Nonetheless, researchers say, willpower is like a muscle. The more we use it, the stronger it gets. The key is to direct it well and not expect instant results. Slow and steady will give you best results in this kind of training.

As I was reading the first article, i realized yet another thing: we don't constantly need will power to do something, like brushing our teeth or not biting our fingernails. Once we've acquired the habit the need for will power is pretty much gone, or at least it keeps on decreasing the more we get used to it. The same should happen for applying those trading rules that cost me so much effort.

In this sense was the first reader's comment to the first article:

When I first started getting up at 5am to work out three years ago, yes…it was sheer willpower that got me through that first month. But, then something magical happened. I realized how much MORE energy I had during the day if I did this, and I started seeing my workouts as “me time”. For one hour each day on the weekdays, I get to focus on nothing but myself. Three years later, it’s just not even an option anymore. This is what I do and part of who I am. I’m one of the regulars at the gym at 5am, and I’m proud of it.

The second comment reminded me how many people say that athletes (and I'd add people from the military) are more prone to becoming profitable traders:
I learned long ago how to work out stressed with little willpower. I have been a competitive athlete for a long time, Div 1 in college, and coach most recently, so I never had the option to skip or take it easy during workouts. That being the case and having limited willpower like most people, i learned how to allow myself to me in the moment and let the workout melt my stress away. Workouts need to be fun and never tedious. If the workout itself is not draining you end up looking forward to it, and it becomes part of you, much like Jamie mentioned above. Good exercise, necessitates good nutrition and good sleep so for me primal living falls in line when I am able to work out for myself.

Only now I am understanding that being a profitable trader - unless you're gifted and already endowed with the needed qualities from the start - might have more to do with having an athlete's discipline than with having an intellectual's thinking. It doesn't really matter how intelligent you are, because if you don't have that discipline, you're not going to be profitable. Of course, if you're not persistent and quite intelligent, you can forget about developing an automated system. But, as a discretionary trader, you are better off being disciplined than intelligent.

Here's another comment (the third one to the first article) which is very related to trading:
Also, one needs to live in the moment. When you come to situation you just need to ask yourself, “What is more important to me right now? Eating a chocolate bar or losing fat?” Each time ask yourself what is the most important right now. I found it helps a lot.
This to me the above comment read like "what's more important to me right now? Having fun by trading or making money?"

Here's a comment related to the gym but that again applies to trading:

I’ve been going to the gym first thing in the morning for a little over a year now. I usually try to go as soon as they open, which is 7 AM. People often ask me how I manage to get up “that early” (yeah, it sounds strange to me too. 7 is early?) and that they could never will themselves to the gym that early.

In my personal experience the first month was the “hardest”. After that it became part of my weekly routine, and I found that if I simply didn’t think about it, I’d just go and do my workout of the day since it was a habit already. If I started thinking about it though, I would come up with excuses not to go. I still do this, so I make a point of writing down my workout program before bedtime or as soon as I wake up and just get dressed and go before I have a chance to reconsider.

I guess to know who's going to be a good trader and who isn't, you just ask people if they're able to go to the gym for about a whole straight year or if they just quit. Then you'll know who can be a good trader. I've never even tried going to the gym nor swimming, because I am totally unwilling to make any sacrifice and this explains why I failed at trading for 12 straight years.

Another thing he says that reminds me of trading is first of all that it will be easier after it becomes as a habit (as I had said earlier). But also that "...get dressed and go before I have a chance to reconsider", so in the sense that I shouldn't even allow the temptation to arise as to whether place a trade or not while I am in front of the screen: I should not be in front of the screen unless it's time to trade. Do not lead yourself to temptation.

Now I'm reading the second article, which is quite good, even quite entertaining for how well it's written:
http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=3_ways_to_boost_your_will_power

...But if you asked 10 different people to define what “will power” actually is, you’d probably get quite a few different ideas.
I'd say it is "the power to make yourself do unpleasant things". Let's see what he says.

In practical terms, most of us would probably agree that what we mean by “will power” is the capacity to stick to our own good intentions, goals, and responsibilities even when we’re faced with temptations to do something else instead. But what actually gives us that capacity?

Maybe what gives us will power is just the desire to get to that objective you can only achieve by doing unpleasant things. After all will power comes from wanting to get something. It could be called "desire power", or the "power of desiring, wanting"... which is the same as "will power". If you really want something, that will give you power to do unpleasant things. I want to make money. I realize I have to do unpleasant things. And maybe now I will go through the unpleasant task of saying "no" to all my urges while trading.

Anyway, my answer to what is and what gives us will power is: will power is the power that derives from wanting something, which enables us to do something unpleasant. It comes from how much we want something. Let's now see what the article says. But first, before giving me the answer, it asks more questions:

...Is will power the same thing as motivation, or self-discipline, or focus, or determination? Does it come from inside or outside? Can you have very strong will power in some areas of your life (like getting yourself out of bed on time almost every day), but practically none in others (like resisting certain foods or staying consistent with exercise)?

And maybe most importantly, is will power something you can learn and develop over time, or is it just something you either have or don’t have courtesy of your genes?

Very good points. And here's all the answers (the title of the article is "3 ways to boost your will power"):

So far, at least, scientists who study will power haven’t done much better than the rest of us at coming up with a definition. They also haven’t located a specific area of the brain that’s responsible for resisting temptations, or any genes that make it easier or harder to resist temptation and stick to your goals.

But they do know there’s quite a bit more we can do to resist our impulses and stick to our good intentions, beyond telling ourselves to “Just Do It.” According to the research, there are three reliable and proven ways you can boost your own will power.

The Marshmallow Test

The first and most time-honored strategy for resisting temptation is, of course, distraction. As described in this NPR story, Columbia University psychologist Walter Mischel did a series of famous experiments in the 1960s, where he put hundreds of young kids in a room, one at a time by themselves, with a marshmallow on the table. He explained to each child that s/he could eat the marshmallow right away if desired, or wait until Mischel returned to the room, in which case the child would get two marshmallows instead of just the one.

The results were pretty much what you might expect. Some of the kids could barely keep the marshmallow out of their mouths for a minute, while others managed to wait as long as 20 minutes and earn the second marshmallow. What Mischel did notice, though, was that virtually all the kids who were able to resist eating the marshmallow right away used the same strategy. They did everything but pay attention to the marshmallow—they wandered around the room, kicked the furniture, twisted their hair, talked or sang songs to themselves, and so on. The other kids often tried distraction for a little while, but kept coming back to the marshmallow until they finally ate it.

Turning the “Heat” Down.

In a different variation on this same experiment, Mischel tried to see if it would matter if kids were given some additional tools they could use to resist the “lure” of the marshmallows. One big reason a marshmallow (or any other treat) is so appealing is that we start anticipating the pleasure it will give us—the taste, the texture, the smell, memories of enjoying them previously, etc. When you bundle all these things together, you have what many psychologists refer to as a “hot” cognition—a thought that moves straight to center stage of our conscious attention, and becomes pretty hard to ignore or push aside. But what if you could use your imagination or your rational mind to take some of that emotional heat away? Would that make it easier to resist the temptation?

In this version of his experiment, Mischel gave his young test subjects the suggestion that they try to see the marshmallow as a cotton ball or a puffy cloud, instead of as a marshmallow. This simple suggestion produced a large increase in the number of kids who were able to resist eating the marshmallow.

Regular readers of this blog might recognize this as a very mild and user-friendly version of aversion therapy, where you try to take things one step further by not merely cooling down your “hot cognitions” but actually making them unpleasant and unwanted, so that you’re actively motivated to avoid them. Hopefully, you won’t have to resort to that. Another way to accomplish similar results would be to become an avid food label reader or calorie counter, so that you start looking at tempting foods not in terms of their emotional or sensory appeal, but in terms of their nutritional value and whether that one minute of pleasure on the lips is worth the consequences.

Pick your battles carefully.

A third effective strategy for boosting your ability to resist temptations is to simply recognize that you can’t resist all of them. As this research suggests, our ability to constantly regulate ourselves is very limited, and the more we struggle to control what we think or feel or say or do in one area, the harder it becomes to do it in another areas. This doesn’t mean that self-regulation is impossible or that it can't be improved--just that we need to be smart and careful about how we go about it. And it probably means that the approach that is most likely to succeed in real life is one based on moderation, balance, and planning ahead to minimize problems, not one based on trying to be a superhero and do everything perfectly.

Personally, I think the idea of “will power” is not all that helpful, mainly because it’s so easy to turn it into yet another example of what’s “wrong” with us—we’re missing some fundamental ingredient that makes it possible for people to be strong and avoid temptations. Or into an excuse for not taking a serious look at what we could be doing differently. The reality usually is that we just haven’t learned the skills and mental habits it takes to handle temptations more effectively—and it’s never too late to do that.

The kid who keeps on coming back at the marshmallow until he finally eats is me with trading. I look at the charts over and over again, until I place the goddamn trade that I had resolved not to place. Clearly, the kids who waited and didn't eat the marshmallow will be the profitable traders.

More links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_gratification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mischel

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/opinion/02aamodt.htm?_r=2

The brain’s store of willpower is depleted when people control their thoughts, feelings or impulses, or when they modify their behavior in pursuit of goals. Psychologist Roy Baumeister and others have found that people who successfully accomplish one task requiring self-control are less persistent on a second, seemingly unrelated task.

In one pioneering study, some people were asked to eat radishes while others received freshly baked chocolate chip cookies before trying to solve an impossible puzzle. The radish-eaters abandoned the puzzle in eight minutes on average, working less than half as long as people who got cookies or those who were excused from eating radishes. Similarly, people who were asked to circle every “e” on a page of text then showed less persistence in watching a video of an unchanging table and wall.

Other activities that deplete willpower include resisting food or drink, suppressing emotional responses, restraining aggressive or sexual impulses, taking exams and trying to impress someone. Task persistence is also reduced when people are stressed or tired from exertion or lack of sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_control#Self_control_as_a_limited_resource

Self control as a limited resource
For more details see Ego depletion
Research by Roy Baumeister and colleagues has shown that people's ability to exert self-control depends on a strength-like resource that diminishes after use.

After participants performed a task requiring self-control, they were less able to exert self-control, even in entirely different areas; this result was replicated in over a hundred experiments [12]

Conversely, research has found support that self-control can be improved through "exercising" it. For example, by maintaining proper posture, by performing everyday activities such as opening doors and brushing teeth with the less dexterous hand, and by adhering to a schedule of regular physical exercise, over time, general self-control can be improved.

There is also evidence that training people to accept the time delay before receiving a reward similarly enhances people's self-control. Donal Logue (1984) used a fading procedure in which participants were initially presented with a choice between two different rewards - a small one and a big one - which could be received after the same (large) time delay. On subsequent presentations of the two rewards, the time delay for the small reward was gradually reduced. The results showed that as the time delay for the small reward decreased, participants tended to choose the big reward more often than the small reward. Thus, Logue was able to condition participants to accept a large time delay in order to receive a big reward, rather than to choose not to wait in order to receive a small but immediate reward. Not only can people be trained to accept long time delays, but people's perception of the delay itself can be modified. For instance, Mischel and Ebbessen (1970) showed that a distracting entertaining task can lead people to perceive the time delay as shorter than they typically perceive it.

In sum, although there is empirical evidence that self-control is a limited mental resource, a number of studies support the notion that self-control is nevertheless a resource that can be increased through suitable "exercise".

The term "deferred gratification" and the concept of "limited willpower and ability of deferring gratification" show why i have so many problems with self-control lately. I have no sources of happiness (no friends, no girlfriend, no life, no sports) and I have trouble deferring the few fun things of my life: trading, eating, watching movies. That's the problem right there: since our ability to defer gratifications is limited (we can't be unhappy all day long), I should allow more fun into my life, so I will be able to disregard the fun I derive from trading. This would be a sure way to help my trading discipline. Also, by having a good life and not only focusing on trading, I'd be employing the "distraction" trick mentioned in the second article, which means not looking at the marshmallow to avoid temptations.

Ultimately, I've been trading as a source of gratification. As if I said to myself: "hey, when is my turn to be happy?". But I was wrong: my happiness should be coming from the money that trading gives me and not from trading itself. I better start using my limited willpower supply on trading alone, as i said at the beginning of this post, and on nothing else. I can't come home, tired from work, and say "finally home: now i can have some fun trading!". I've been doing it all wrong until now. The whole deferring of gratification should exactly be applied to trading by trading to make money rather than trading to have fun. Because then I'd be able to avoid any deferring of gratification in all other areas: no saving money needed and that takes care of a lot of things. Simply put: let's make sacrifices where they are most needed. Let's not save on buying new shirts and then blow the money by getting some thrills with trading. Let's rather buy the shirts and give up the fun of trading.

There's still one doubt as to all these articles and my thinking, but which I already figured out. Willpower is like a muscle they say, and it is indeed in these two aspects:

1) it can only do so much before being exhausted
2) it gets stronger the more you exercise it

So, I should exercise it but not so much that I get home and trade because that muscle is dead tired, as may have been happening until recently.

After all, this aspect of willpower being limited is quite intuitive (but it's not a taken to understand the formula as these articles explained it): if you had a very bad day at work, come home, are extremely hungry, and find your favorite cake on the table. What are you going to do? You're going to eat the whole thing. Imagine similar situations. Stuck in an elevator, hungry, someone bothers you... you're going to flip more easily than if you weren't frustrated... it all comes together. In other words, a frustrated person will trade worse than a non-frustrated person, because he's already running out of his limited will-power as he begins trading. And that has always been my case. Ultimately a person who has an unhappy life should not be doing any discretionary trading. Automated trading is an entirely different matter, but as long as you have the power to interfere with your account, there's a risk of financial disaster for an unbalanced unhappy person (like I am).

Last edited:
measuring and monitoring my will power

I am not setting out to do everything perfectly from now on, but I should nonetheless measure and monitor my will power according to how much I engage in these activities, which for one reason or the other are negative (financially, psychologically, physically):

1. compulsive trading
2. compulsive scratching my head
3. compulsive scratching my nose
4. buying (and smoking) cigarettes
5. slouching when sitting
6. slouching when walking
7. eating at the japanese restaurant
8. eating too much of something
9. buying sweets
10. chain phone calls
11. going to work late
12. going to sleep late
13. not going back to sleep when i wake up in the middle of the night

Among all these unhealthy behaviours watching tv can be considered a "healthy" behaviour, but the problem is that I am not even addicted to it. I'd rather spend at my pc, which is not classified as compulsive/negative behaviour, because I do stuff such as reading and writing posts. It has no negative effects except on my eyesight maybe, but that cannot be considered a major negative nor compulsive behaviour. It would be as if you considered working a negative thing. It's just a useful activity: I've got to be doing something in my free time.

Here's my daily measurement across these activities. It has a pretty good reading, of 2.

Snap1.jpg

Improved it further, so I can make a chart and monitor changes day after day on my excel sheet:

2.JPG

More improvements, now they've got a percentage of will power used and they're listed according to the chronological order they take place during the day:

fff.jpg

[...]

I am coming back to edit this post the morning later, while I can still edit it, to add that I changed the term "will power" to "self-control", because it's clearer. Also, I grouped all the negative activities to avoid (that's what the list is made of) in 3 groups:
1) social activities (I added "making enemies")
2) physical activities (related to eating, sleeping, slouching...)
3) financial activities (restaurant and compulsive trading)

I decided that I will rate everything on a scale from 0 to 1. In the sense that if I start scratching my head and scratch it for one minute, then wake up and stop for the rest of the day, then that should count as 0.1 and not a full 1.

Also I decided that everything will be rated from 0 to 1 except compulsive trading, which will be rated from 1 to 10, in order to stress its importance, so that I will be reminded that compulsive trading is something against which I should use all self-control available. In other words, I could get drunk every day, smoke cigarettes, scratch my head, get into fights at work, go to sleep late, waste money at restaurants, and I'd still should feel content if I can keep my trading entirely rational and under control. Conversely, it's useless to keep everything and all expenses under control, if I then go home and proceed to blow thousands of dollars with my trading, out of frustration for all the restrictions I forced onto myself.

And, finally, I added a chart, that will give me an overview of the situation.

One more thing, instead of posting my trades, I will be posting my self-control monitoring and chart in here, because that itself includes my trading, which is the most important part of self-control.

Last edited:
self-control update

Ok, so far the day is proceeding pretty well, except for a new enemy I've made. I was buying some pants for work, and was looking at the department store for some anthracite grey pants. The saleswoman didn't help at all and told me to feel free to look by myself. I said "can you help me please?". She came and said they didn't make any such pants this year, and then that they had run out of anthracite grey pants. Goddamn. I kept looking and I found plenty of them. That whore didn't care or didn't even know what pants she had in the store! Ultimately I even apologized to her and said "I am sorry if I bothered you", and she replied - LOL - "no, it's ok, you didn't bother me...", but still didn't help me at all. Nice lady!

Luckily she left and a new person came at 4 PM. So, after I bought my two pairs of anthracite grey pants, I told her "your colleague must have been tired from her shift, because she wanted me to leave and actually told me this year there were no anthracite grey pants".

So now I've made an enemy because most likely tomorrow she'll tell her I badmouthed her. This is against my interest and the only reason I did it was because I was tired from work and I have limited self-control as we've established yesterday and it's the same for everyone. Imagine you were dressed in winter clothes in the summer, and you were sweating. Then that you didn't sleep well and were dead tired. Then that you were hungry because you didn't eat properly, or had a stomachache because of something you ate. And on top of all these things, let's imagine you were very worried about your money running out. How good would your self-control and tolerance be at that point? There you go. Certainly not the same as if you were rested, well-fed, had no financial worries, weren't sweating. How well would you trade with all those problems? There you go. And those problems might always be there, so you're better off doing automated trading, because it keeps you from screwing up your trading due to outside interferences with your self-control.

Anyway, today I went a little bit later to work, that's a 0.2 on my excel sheet. I made an enemy for no reason so that's a 1 on my sheet. But I didn't scratch, I didn't exceed with drinking or eating, I didn't smoke, and I didn't slouch too much. I am satisfied. If days were always like today and yesterday, I'd be trading fine.

Snap1.jpg

Rules that apply to the above database:

These are things that:
1) are bad for me,
2) that I should not do,
3) that I am able to not do by using self-control.

Partial breaking of self-control:
if I start scratching my head but stop almost immediately then that doesn't count as a full point but less, and the same goes for everything else

Activities are listed according to:
1) groups they belong to and the groups have different colors and are listed in order of importance:
  • financial
  • health
  • social
2) when they happen during the day

Ranking of damage done to self:
Compulsive trading, because of the damage it can do is ranked on a scale from 0 to 10. Everything else is on a scale from 0 to 1.

----

Anyway, I badmouthed that lady and complaining behind her back felt good, but now I am afraid she will mess with my pants, that I left there because they have to shorten them and stuff. I gotta remember to try them on when I go to get them. Now I got this ridiculous paranoia thanks to not keeping my mouth shut. Maybe I was tired from work and I had run out of self-control. When you're tired it's harder to use self-control. This is not just shown by academic research. I see it clearly when I didn't sleep well. If someone bothers me, usually I'd be polite and not reply anything, but if I didn't sleep well, I'll immediately say something back to them, usually pretty powerful, too. In fact, I am much better at arguing when I am impatient and I didn't sleep well, because usually I am too generous. But if I want to be right and stand for my rights, I am better off when I sleep less than 6 hours.

---

For today, I still have a score above 90% on my self-control scale, but it will be hard to preserve it in the next few hours, because I am feeling an increasing frustration about the pants and the saleswoman, boredom... I feel like scratching my head. We'll see how it goes in the next few hours. If I could keep myself above 90% in the future, it would be a great thing. Of course, I must make sure that I don't start new vices and bad habits, like doing heroin, in order to keep the old ones under control. In case new bad behaviours arise, I will list them on my file.

Last edited:
more on my self-control and its relationship to my unprofitability

Ok, only 3 hours before I go to sleep and I am still at 92% of self-control. I am pretty satisfied. This is my second day above 90%. Before that I didn't measure it, but there was just about everything in my life: addictions and bad habits out of control. Overeating, smoking, drinking, scratching, slouching, making enemies, and, most importantly, compulsive gambling, which is my number one enemy and it's the reason why I have set up this monitoring of my self-control. To understand exactly what goes on my mind that keeps me from succeeding at trading.

ALL MY SELF-CONTROL GETS USED UP BY 10 SIMULATED TRADES AND 2 REAL TRADES
Now I realize why I can only make so many trades in a row. We've established that self-control is limited and gets used up after a while. Well, trading exposes me to several temptations that I have to keep at bay, and, once my self-control is exhausted I give in and start screwing around. Those things that exhaust it are:

1) refraining from hanging on to loser, which is by far the most tiring thing. Cutting losses to me causes excrutiating pain: admitting that a trade you believed in went wrong. Admitting I was wrong really pisses me off. And doing it uses up a whole lot of self-control.

2) Hanging on to winners while you fear they'll stop going your way. That is also stressful.

3) More stressful is to wait. Wait for the right opportunity, being stressed out about the fact that you might miss a good trade because you were waiting for a better opportunity.

4) Continuous fearing and hoping at every click (on the chart game) and at every tick (on the real money trading) is also stressful, even if I partly mentioned it above.

MY SELF-CONTROL HAS BEEN EXHAUSTED DURING MY YOUTH...
These are the reasons why after about 10 trades I can't control myself any more. I wrote thousands of posts wondering about why I was unprofitable, and now I have come very very close to the final answer. It's a matter not of edge for me, not anymore since a long time ago. It's a matter of self-control, and self-control gets exhausted by all the unpleasant things you have to deal with while trading and in your daily life prior to trading. Not only that, self-control may have been exhausted by your earlier life, ever since you were born. I was repressed for example: taught to use a whole lot of self-control by a "military educated" father and a very religious mother. They forced onto me a whole lot of self-controlling behaviours in order to please both of them. My dad forced onto me all the overperforming behaviour: being the best at everything, being orderly, etcetera. My mom forced onto me all the religious qualities: being generous, non-violent. Basically, throughout my life I was taught that I could not do pretty much anything. As a consequence this made me fed up with rules and ultimately self-control.

...AND NOW I HAVE A CHRONICAL LACK OF IT: I AM PERMANENTLY FED UP WITH RULES
So right now I am dealing with a chronical lack of self-control due to using too much of it while I was under the influence of these two sick maniacs. Instead of two regular parents I was given a sergeant and a nun. This is how I got fed up with rules and made a habit of breaking all rules even the good ones, and therefore even my trading rules.

Last edited:
It's almost 9 PM. I go to bed in 2 hours. Still at 92% of self-control. In about an hour or less I'll see the money on my account, and see if I can resist the biggest temptations. The temptation to try to make money even when it's unlikely and the odds are against me.

At 10 PM (CET) I can make my trade according to the odds. That' wouldn't be outside the good rules. That's likely to make money.

We'll see. I don't feel too nervous nor like a drug addict who just recently got off drugs. This 92% so far I can handle it pretty well. However, I do feel my life is empty. If I ate a cake my life would feel fuller. If I got drunk, I'd feel like I did something today. My life regulated this well feels empty. I guess that's why so many people exceed at things: drinking, eating, shouting... we're surrounded by people indulging in excesses. Few people are moderate at everything.

Take my day at work. People were talking: they were excessive at slacking off, while also exceeding at talking loudly. In the meanwhile I was there working quietly. Was I being moderate? Probably they'd say I'm excessive or sick even. To me they're slackers, but they're the majority. And the majority decides what's the healthy behaviour. Or maybe not always. Maybe the opinion makers are not like the majority. I mean, afte all, you watch tv, you see all these people, which are nothing like the majority of people. In one way or another, they have a lot of qualities, whereas the people outside tv do not have any of those qualities in any field.

You hear people talking badly about television but the truth is that tv is full of people with qualities. If nothing else, they are determined and persistent people.

Anyway. I've found something that's not negative, and therefore I don't call it an addiction, but which I do all the time: writing posts here. That causes me no harm, so I do not place it among the behaviours to avoid. As a consequence, I am not using any self-control right now. After all, self-control is used to either make yourself do something good for you which you wouldn't like to do, or refrain from doing something which isn't good for you. Everything else is beyond self-control. If I find enough pleasant activities that do not hurt me, then I am set, because I don't have to worry about self-control ever again.

Let's go through that list of bad things and see how I could avoid them by filling up my life with positive things. Next to each item I will list the good activity that could make me avoid using self-control to refrain from that bad behaviour:

compulsive trading => automated trading would keep me off the charts and that way I wouldn't even be tempted and wouldn't need self-control

eating at the restaurant => if I made money from trading, eating at the restaurant would cease to be a problem, because the money it subtracts from me would be meaningless, and as it does no harm any more, I can't call it a bad behaviour

not going back to sleep => with money from trading, I'd be able to quit my job, so I could keep any kind of schedule and wouldn't worry about not going back to sleep. Also, I'd live in a quiet neighbourhood where I don't have to hear noises that wake me up, **** me off, and keep me from falling back asleep

slouching when walking => I'd live by the ocean and swim, and after I swim for a week, slouching is history

slouching when sitting => I'd have quit my job, so I wouldn't be sitting down at a desk, and slouching at my desk, on my chair, would be history

scratching my nose => If you're outdoors or doing plenty of physical activity, you never happen to scratch yourself. No one scratches themselves if they're running.

drinking beer => I wouldn't be frustrated and wouldn't feel the need to get some action or drown my frustration into beer

buying cigarettes => same as above. When I swim, I am in a good mood. And when I am in a good mood, I don't need to buy cigarettes.

buying sweets => even if I bought them, I'd burn the calories, so they would cease to be a problem.

scratching my head => no scratching when doing sports

eating when not hungry => healthy lifestyle, no need for trading binges.

chain phone calls => maybe that's the only thing to keep under control, if I go to live on a desert island or similar

going to sleep late => no schedule if you don't have a job. Being tired from physical exercise, I can fall asleep better.

going to work late => not an issue if you don't have a job, or if you are free to choose the job you like.

making enemies => with a lot of free time, that's something to keep under control. But if you are in a good mood, you're less likely to pick fights. However, also, if you are in a good mood and leading a serene life, you're likely to have a lower tolerance for people disturbing your good mood. You might get spoiled.

In summary, there's very little need for self-control if you lead a healthy and happy life.

Last edited:
a lack of sleep cuts by half my will power

Ok, in less than half an hour i'll go to bed and i'm still at 92% self-control. At worst, I'll fail to fall asleep because I am not that tired, and drop to 91%, still pretty good. The trouble is that if tomorrow I'm tired, it'll cause me to drop pretty quickly in terms of self-control, because sleep is like a major factor and a lack of sleep cuts by half my will power. So, the act of not falling asleep is not that bad, but the consequences are very bad and generally underestimated I'd say. Lack of sleep could be easily prevented, and yet causes so many problems in the world. Basically everyone is less in control and less patient with everything during the day. I'm definitely more prone to overtrading and to relapsing into compulsive gambling mode if I didn't get enough sleep. Anyway, going to bed now, so good night.

Hello Travis,

If you'd like to build up some self control then the best form is to fast. Try during a winter month from dawn till dusk it helps me a great deal almost immediately. As we all grow older we get better at controlling our urges and we start to think with a clearer head. If you are still unable to trade effecitvely then you may like to look into trading using an automated platform i.e Metatrader with an EA (Expert advisor that suits your trading style) Heck why not even learn to code in MQL and build your own.

Yes, thanks. I'll think about it, your self-control advice, on fasting. Maybe fasting is within my control already though. Because, yes i did say that sometimes I eat too much of something, but that meant eating 4 yogurts instead of just one. Four potatoes instead of two. I didn't mean that I'm overweight. Also, I always skip breakfast and sometimes even lunch, so it's not rare that I fast for almost 24 hours without even calling it "fasting", because I almost don't notice it. I spent a six months, in 2003, just eating once a day, and on a few instances I didn't eat for 2 days (except some water with sugar), but definitely it wasn't a good thing. I am pretty sure it caused me some damage, somewhere I ignore, but somewhere for sure. I was just about to say that anything that your body doesn't do and complains about (by making your feel hungry) is not good for you, but my self-control list shows it isn't the case. For example, I feel the urge to scratch my head, but that makes me lose my hair and so it isn't good. I feel the urge to smoke and that isn't good. I slouch as I sit, and that isn't good. So I guess I can't say that your body knows what's good for itself. Sometimes the body is wrong.

As far as automated systems, as you might have read, I've already got all the automated systems set up (but no money to trade them). I coded them in vba on excel. Totally automated: I just need to turn them on in the morning and off at night. They work fine, except when I interfere with them - I still need to develop my self-control to avoid that - and now, to raise the needed capital, I also need to learn to control my gambling urges, so I can make money via discretionary trading (which I can, because I know I have an edge, as long as I only trade twice a day at the most). This is to say that either way, even with automated systems, I need self-control. Maybe less, but some, and more than I've displayed in the past. Because it's not a given that I'll let them trade without interfering.

Regarding my self-control of yesterday (a note for myself, because you didn't talk about it): I fell asleep, so I ended the day at 92%. Today I woke up but went back to sleep, so I am still at 100% right now.

Last edited:
a new measurement of self-control: how frequently you're being tempted

No breaking of discipline today except a little slouching. On time at work, no scratching, no enemies (I almost made one by calling someone, but I decided against it, just out of will power).

Then I came home and I found the money on my account (new wire after blowing it out for the 40th time or so). I made my one trade allowed at any time according to this single-sentence system:
2 daily trades with stoploss (one any time and one at 3 PM CST)

I made money, and got out.

So far so good. Still above 90% despite more temptations than yesterday (yesterday there was no margin to trade on my account).

Now the big challenge is to make no more trades until 3 PM CST. Also, no scratching and no overeating. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you updated.

One more note...
a new measurement of self-control: how frequently you're being tempted

Today on my way home riding the cab, I was thinking about temptations. We could measure temptations and how strong they are and how much discipline/self-control/will power it takes to control them simply in the following terms: how many times and with what frequency the object of your temptation is tempting you.

I realized that chocolate only told me once "eat me", or maybe say I am sitting in front of it, it'd tell me once every 5 minutes.

I was riding on the cab and felt clearly that today I was coming home, with money on my account, and this is what would have happened. The platform would have told me "trade!" about once every 30 seconds. Once in a trade and winning, something inside me would have told me "get out while you're ahead!" about once every 1 minute. Once in a trade and losing, something inside me would have told me "you can't get out with such a loss, it feels awful..." every 30 seconds and quite loudly. And all three things, needless to say, are against my interest. Now that says everything about why I can keep my trading so hardly under control: nothing else talks to me (against my interest) with such frequency, for so long, and so loudly. Not even scratching my head.

Oh, listen. And now that i successfully closed my trade there's a voice I am hearing right now inside my head, that's telling me every 5 minutes: "trade again and make more money!". I am laughing at that voice and telling him to get lost, since I said I'd wait until 3 PM CST. I tell that voice to stop messing with me.

Last edited:
little decrease in self-control

Today I had the money on the account and I traded. I made money on both trades, but the problem was that the second trade was not a trade that I should have made and it had no stoploss. One of those dead certain bottom picking trades that blew out my account in the past. I was dead right, as often. When I am not right, that's when I blow out my account.

Other than this, I did pretty well at self-control. Here's the chart:

Snap1.jpg

The third trades is still ongoing and it was made correctly at 3 PM CST, with a limit order because the bottom is history now (it was a bottom in my earlier trade, but it wasn't allowed because I had already made one, plus it was without a stoploss, as I often do when I am positive about the prediction).

"Education" is past self-control that became a habit

Modified yesterday's because I did eat a little bit too much.

Today I woke up 25 minutes early so I hardly could go back to sleep, but i did look at my watch, which is not good, because it is the first step of not going back to sleep. However, since I had gone to sleep early, I had slept 8 hours. Yet, a bit tired due to many nightmares.

Overall, I am quite satisfied. It'd be a good achievement if I could hold at about 80% of self-control like in these last few days. Only exception was yesterday's trade, which didn't use a stoploss.

Snap1.jpg

I almost went back and added "complaining" as an item on my list, but decided against it, because there's only so many things I can forbid myself, at least right now, at least until those other things on the list become good habits and don't cost me any more self-control. Besides, if I start forbidding myself to say things, or even think things I will soon feel too restrained and controlled and quit this whole thing.

"Education" by my parents equals taught self-control, that became a habit
It's interesting that self-control coincides educating yourself in many ways, because today i am not having to control things i was taught early on in my life, such as: not beating people up, not swearing, not making mistakes when I speak Italian... such things are not on my list today because they were on my parents' list of things to teach me. They taught me so many self-controlling behaviours that today, to function properly in society, there's a few of them I need to unlearn: not replying to people who treat me rudely. I was taught to never say anything mean to anyone, but this doesn't work at least around the people I am living with. First of all with my father. Since I was taught by my mom that I should not be rude, the way I react to people treating me badly, is by avoiding them and by giving them dirty looks. It works all right now, but in highschool it didn't work. Back then, I would have needed to threaten some people in a physical way. But since I was also taught to be sincere and honest, I couldn't bluff about that, so I'd have needed to really believe in what I said, and so I never acted threatening to anyone, because it would have been a bluff. Nowadays, at work, if you stop saying hi to someone, that's a whole lot to them, and it works quite well. So basically everyone treats me nicely, because otherwise I have no relationship with them. If I were to not work at a bank but with some construction workers or similar it would all become a problem again, because those adults are like children in many ways. Of course I am not being racist, you know what I'm talking about. If you work in a kitchen as a dish-washer, or similar places, you will get yourself in some violent verbal or physical confrontations quite often. Nothing like working at a bank.

To conclude this paragraph, I would summarize by saying that education is a form of self-control you learn, but once it becomes learned and a habit it loses its self-control characteristics: effort needed to implement a given behaviour. In some cases, a certain "former self-control" behaviour has become such a habit for me, that, if it's bad for me, I'd have to place it in the list of things to avoid by using self-control: so this would mean using self-control today to unlearn the self-control of yesterday that has become a habit. A perfect example is to not reacting to people who treat me badly. To me that's the rule in all cases. But in some cases, it would be convenient to not follow that rule. Yet, to do so would require a great amount of self-control. Self-control to not control myself and let myself explode. Because as of now, I am very unlikely to explode and lose control no matter what they do to me. I've lost control only three times in my life and attacked someone physically (but without punching them: I only grabbed them or similar), in chronological order:
1) someone tried to trip me
2) someone tried to trip me
3) someone was throwing pebbles at me

All these teachings by my parents don't mean I don't hate people. I wish some people died on a daily basis. Maybe that's why I like The Godfather, and how a godfather can have people killed. Yeah, that's my kind of thing: having people killed. Because I am non-violent you know, so I can make my mom happy and at the same time be avenged.

Last edited:
One more item: negative thoughts

I've been thinking. I need to add one more item, which is kind of ambitious because it has to do with thinking. But I should be able to refrain from thinking about certain stuff. The thought could come to my mind, but I could stop myself from indulging in it.

The stuff I want to keep myself from thinking about is, in random order:

1) memories of being left by girls
2) memories of being treated like **** by my dad
3) memories of being mistreated in any way by other people

This stuff can be kept out of my mind, and should be, because it's a waste of time, and causes me:

1) scratching my head
2) overtrading (to get rid of the bad thoughts I trade, but it'd be easier to just stop the thoughts)
3) other bad behaviours

I should only allow myself to prevent this stuff from happening in the future, instead of thinking about this stuff. I can make it stop by either ignoring the person, walking away from the person, or fighting the person. The last one is the most tiring and dangerous one, so I should usually just skip it.

I will add the "negative thoughts" item in the social category of behaviours to avoid by using self-control. Until today this was a daily behaviour, so I will add a 1 for all the past days.

Here's how today's self-control ratings look like, at 5 PM:

Snap1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.