my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty good. Not being happy in this age and time, i went back 70 years, and, while I play the chart game on old (unknown) charts, I listen to a radio news broadcast from the summer of 1943, occasionally checking the wikipedia entry's map for the war situation in that period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

I lost it again. Lost 30 percent on a trade, because I lost my nerve and kept it open despite it not going my way. But I'll keep on trading from here. There's no point starting all over again and denying reality.

Last edited:
automated systems update: goodbye to the pioneer systems

Goodbye, pioneer systems
It had to happen sooner or later.

I started building automated systems in 2005, and from then till early 2008, all I worked on was these two systems, which I later called the "pioneer systems". They were based on the EUR and GBP, they entered (in the last version of them) from 8.15 CST till 8.45 CST. Their rationale, initially, was the difference in bid-ask volumes. If there were many more contracts being demanded at the last level of bid, compared to the contracts offered at the last level of "ask", this to me meant an impending rise. And viceversa for the opposite situation. (By the way, I still believe this concept has some validity but it's too hard to test it right now: I spoke about it in my previous journal).

These systems were never back-tested because I didn't know how to back-test such a thing, based on the bid-ask quantities. I don't have the data nor the tools. However I was positive that it worked. So I forward-tested it for years. After over two years of these forward tests (and many changes), since the method didn't seem to work at all, except for breaking even, I changed it and turned it into simply this: during the first half an hour of US trading (from 8.15 CST to 8.45 CST, because the system starts 15 minutes earlier) the low and high of the day (futures' prices) work as support and resistance levels, and you can trade off them. This system was easier to back-test and so I did, and modified it accordingly. However, despite the pretty good back-tests, it still is the worse of the 42 systems and it doesn't even break even for the past 7 months. So I had to get rid of it, also because it was the heaviest two mother ****ing systems I had on my excel workbook, which, without them, went from 5 megabytes to just a bit over 1 megabyte. Those two "pioneer" systems relied on price being polled once every minute, they had a chart apiece and each chart was based on a heavy database of those one-minute prices. Didn't work, were heavy... had to go, despite their historical value.

40 "side" systems
The very amazing thing to me is that while I wasted 3 years on these two systems that I abandoned today, in early 2008, I decided in just a few months to build a few "side" systems, so I would add some activity, because these "pioneer" systems were trading only once a week, and things were getting very boring for me. But this time I did things right, and didn't start from forward-testing but from back-testing. I then automated what worked in back-testing. This is how I created what i grouped in 8 waves of systems, between early 2008 and late 2009, consisting of a total of 40 systems. So i am finding it very funny that the two early systems have now been abandoned completely, and I am left with what began as a side activity because I was bored. Whereas at the start I thought my life was going to be based on these two wonderful systems. I guess it could be the same in building houses. Take Boston or some other city. You are pilgrim, you get there, build a nice house, or a church, which you consider the ultimate building, and then, hundreds of years later, it is surrounded by skyscrapers, and only being preserved for historical reasons.

So this is what my two pioneer systems looked like before I abandoned them, also in terms of profit (the skyscraper represents the 40 new systems):

fgdgfd.jpg

Yet I abandoned them, because the only objective here is profit and not preserving historical systems. I felt bad, but it had to be done. I had to get rid of what didn't work, once I was positive that it didn't work.

I got rid of the DX filter as well
The week for the other systems was good, and I've added some changes to those as well. I got rid of the filter which, based on where the dollar index is going, reverses my systems' signals. There's no point in reversing the systems if they are making money. The only filter is therefore the "past week" filter. If we made money last week, we keep the systems running the same. If we lost, we reverse them. I am counting on the fact that the red weeks never come alone, but in groups, and also that they will mirror how the DX moves, so it will be probably be the cause for the red weeks, but I won't have to worry about the causes as long as the red weeks come in groups. Of course, as I said in previous posts, this requires that I keep track of how the systems would have performed had they not been reversed, so when I speak of red weeks I am speaking of red non-reversed weeks. I had to work quite a bit on formulas and macros to take care of this problem.

Anyway, here's the new equity line:

Snap1.jpg

And here's the new profit, week by week, group by group:

Snap2.jpg

And now I can finally go to get drunk or something, because a lot of work is behind me.

Last edited:
Travis,

if these systems work, why are you bothering with the chart games?

What kind of results do you get with them?

They practically double each month (not kidding, but they trade futures), which is what I always dreamed of. I bother with the chart game because I got no capital (I blew it all with discretionary trading). To raise capital I need to do discretionary trading, which is how I lost my capital to begin with. With just a few thousands these systems don't work. They need at least 20k. Tell you what: to trade properly, they need 40k. And then they will make almost 20k per month. So I guess they only make 50% a month.

Once I will get back to 20k again, I will definitely stop trading discretionary, once and for all. However, I also do it because I wouldn't mind learning to do something I tried to do for over a decade, and never mastered.

Last edited:
Back on track:
http://www.chartgame.com/trackrecord.cgi?8hgd2b-64,24

What I consider a good step ahead is the fact that I am keeping the same account on the chart game just as in real trading. So I don't have the freedom to screw up whenever I want, because I wouldn't have it in real trading. In other words, gambling is not an option.

capital is more precious than trading opportunities

Got to 30k:
http://www.chartgame.com/trackrecord.cgi?8hgd2b-64,57

I am realizing that the least precious thing is trading opportunities and the most precious thing is capital. Don't risk the latter to avoid missing the former. For some reason that escapes me, it is easier to lose money than to make it.

Or rather: it doesn't totally escape me. The thing is: if you picked your trades randomly, without commissions and spread costs, your outcome should be exactly breakeven. So what escapes me is why it seems easier to lose money than to make money. The reason is probably that by nature I have an unprofitable method/behaviour. Maybe I and a few others do, or maybe all of us. Most likely only a part of the traders have these tendencies. What we do probably is getting hooked on losing trades and cutting losses short. I don't see any other explanations. The fact that I witness is that if I trade without paying careful attention, I just empty my account.

The only cure to this self-defeating tendency is to pick my trades very very carefully, which definitely ensures my success, over the range of any 10 trades I can be profitable. Give me any 10 trades and I can be profitable for sure. But if I don't pay close attention, the self-sabotage takes over, and I tend to let losers run longer than losses.

So maybe I will never be a good trader, who lets winners run, but at least I can be a profitable one, by picking my entries carefully and cutting my losses.

However, patience is easy when you can click your chart and speed up time and candles. It's not as easy when you do real trading. On the other hand, I feel that I am getting closer to it. Decreasing frequency of trading, sticking to some rules, limiting my leverage, I am getting closer to profitability. But what I must always remember is that capital is more precious than trading opportunities. At least that's the one medicine that does it for me.

Re: capital is more precious than trading opportunities

Got to 30k:
http://www.chartgame.com/trackrecord.cgi?8hgd2b-64,57

I am realizing that the least precious thing is trading opportunities and the most precious thing is capital. Don't risk the latter to avoid missing the former. For some reason that escapes me, it is easier to lose money than to make it.

Or rather: it doesn't totally escape me. The thing is: if you picked your trades randomly, without commissions and spread costs, your outcome should be exactly breakeven. So what escapes me is why it seems easier to lose money than to make money. The reason is probably that by nature I have an unprofitable method/behaviour. Maybe I and a few others do, or maybe all of us. Most likely only a part of the traders have these tendencies. What we do probably is getting hooked on losing trades and cutting losses short. I don't see any other explanations. The fact that I witness is that if I trade without paying careful attention, I just empty my account.

The only cure to this self-defeating tendency is to pick my trades very very carefully, which definitely ensures my success, over the range of any 10 trades I can be profitable. Give me any 10 trades and I can be profitable for sure. But if I don't pay close attention, the self-sabotage takes over, and I tend to let losers run longer than losses.

So maybe I will never be a good trader, who lets winners run, but at least I can be a profitable one, by picking my entries carefully and cutting my losses.

However, patience is easy when you can click your chart and speed up time and candles. It's not as easy when you do real trading. On the other hand, I feel that I am getting closer to it. Decreasing frequency of trading, sticking to some rules, limiting my leverage, I am getting closer to profitability. But what I must always remember is that capital is more precious than trading opportunities. At least that's the one medicine that does it for me.
something i found amazingly effective in stocks is to buy dips in higher high and higher lows stocks ( or short vice versa). plot the 200 ema 50 and 20 and buy dips to thos where approriate- it's magic! doesn't work as well on currencies though.

They practically double each month (not kidding, but they trade futures), which is what I always dreamed of. .... With just a few thousands these systems don't work. They need at least 20k. Tell you what: to trade properly, they need 40k. And then they will make almost 20k per month. So I guess they only make 50% a month.

I've got 40K and I'm working on a system myself but haven't got anything like a Holy Grail yet. I'll trade it and you can have half the profit. But I'd code it up and backtest it on my data first. I'm pretty ruthless about risk so I can give you a good run-down on exactly how close you are to a 20K a month system - or how much you would really need to trade it :eek:

But seriously presuming you don't want to share, is 50% with a 40K account size based on some kind of money management component? Or is that just straight one lot trade size?

Sounds like a great offer, except that we'd have to figure out a way so that I don't have to hand over to you all my systems just like that, because I'd like to keep them for myself after all the work I've done on them. Let's discuss about it further, even here on the forum.

On the other hand, it'd be hard to give you the signals because these systems trade quite unpredictably and about 20 times a day (10 round-trip trades).

So I am eager to hear any offers or suggestions, but I don't know how to put this into practice. I don't want to give my systems, and yet I can't give the signals either, for practical reasons.

50% with 40k is a rough estimate based on trading all the 40 systems, even the ones that have been unprofitable in the past 7 months of forward testing. It also (roughly) takes care of money management, because you could have a 25% drawdown on that 40k. If you were to invest 20k, you could still trade all systems (even with just 15k), but you might find a drawdown that causes you to lose 50% of your account, which is obviously too much. To be safe, I'd say that basically the systems should be traded without all the leverage that futures allow, because in fact you could trade them with a 15k margin, but you should not trade them with less than 50k.

Yet, another thing to consider is that (with a complex set of functions) I'd be trading more the systems with a low drawdown and a high return than the others, so I might end up not trading about 10 of the 40 systems, and trading 2 contracts of the best 10 systems. I am sure you know what I mean. I've got a whole sheet on my excel workbook dedicated to these money management and risk management formulas.

For example, one column of formulas makes sure that all systems that are trading have not lost over 5% of present capital in their worst trade. Say I got an awesome CL (oil) system which has a worst loss of 2000 dollars (which could be the case). Even if it had the greatest profit (Return On Account), I will not allow that system to trade until I'll have 40k (the worst loss of 2k has to be only 5% of the account). Then I have other systems with a biggest loss of 200 dollars, and those will be able to trade up to 10 contracts with the same margin. But then I've got another set of formulas that keep the maximum capital per system to a maximum of 33% or so. Then there's another set of formulas that decide the amount invested based on ROA (return on account, which is the profit in forward testing, divided by the biggest drawdown in back-testing, or forward testing if higher). The objective would be to use all capital at all times, but respecting these rules at the same time.

Here's the sheet I was talking about:

Snap1.jpg

What the systems trade is these 9 futures (one contract per system, as you guessed):
EUR
GBP
ES
YM
GBL
CL
GC
JPY
ZN

Your advice and ideas are welcome. I've heard similar offers from a couple of other people, but until now I haven't found any way to make this work. Years ago on elitetrader another user asked me for my systems and told me he'd share the profits with me. I was in a similar mental and financial state as now (desperate) and I stupidly sent them to him (LOL). He disappeared and I never heard from him ever since. Not that he disappeared. He said they weren't good enough, and I haven't heard from him since. I don't know if he's using them right now or not, but luckily over a year ago the systems weren't as good nor as many as now.

Last edited:
i've made a system on gbpjpy with some indicators, one is custom but not mine. but i was wondering is there any way to create an EA out of these rules with little coding experience? it's on hourlies and im away a lot and wouldn't mind an little automated trading on the side of discretionary.

If it's on hourly candles, automation is the easiest. It could be taken care of within just a few hours of work (less than 10). The problem is the API. I don't know about other brokers, but Interactive Brokers has the API you need for a simple automation via Excel. I won't get further into this matter unless you already have an account with them, because with a different broker it's an entirely different thing, and it's probably not possible.

If it's on hourly candles, automation is the easiest. It could be taken care of within just a few hours of work (less than 10). The problem is the API. I don't know about other brokers, but Interactive Brokers has the API you need for a simple automation via Excel. I won't get further into this matter unless you already have an account with them, because with a different broker it's an entirely different thing, and it's probably not possible.

lol i'll have to wait until i get a dma brokerin this case :)

principles that lead to profitability

Just thinking out loud and summarizing some things I learned.

There are two methods for trading that I can think of:

1) Automated trading. If your systems are back-tested, automated and forward-tested and they're profitable, then there's no discussion needed here, as they most likely will work in the future. If they don't, you fix them until they do.

2) Discretionary trading. Here things are much more complicated because you don't know what you will do exactly and therefore you don't know if your method (since you don't have a univocal method) has worked in the past. You can only have guiding principles, and they are as follows:

1. longer timeframe and larger profit targets: commissions and spread costs may cause you unprofitability: increase your timeframe and the length of your trades, until those costs are irrelevant. Then you will have a 50% chance of being right on every trade.

2. stoploss (small): if you're always betting your whole capital on the next trade, this will first of all affect your judgment, but most of all, you sooner or later will incur into an accident that will wipe out your account, no matter how good you are. Since leverage makes things more complicated (your margin may be a fraction of your capital, but you may be still risking your whole capital), what should be said is that you shouldn't risk more than a small fraction of your capital on each trade. In other words, you should use a stoploss, a small one. Meaning that your stoploss is not when your account is blown out.

3. fewer trades. The more you trade the more irrational you get (not for everyone, but for me). When you win, you have a tendency to be more carefree on your next trade, and more likely to screw up. When you lose, your tendency is to be blinded by vengefulness. These tendencies can be kept under control more easily if you haven't traded a lot, because trading wears you out.

4. be more selective. Trading less does not mean you shouldn't monitor the markets. The opportunities are many, but if you don't monitor the markets and make a random trade each time you peek at it, you'll still be unprofitable even if you just trade once a day. On the other hand, if you make one trade out of every ten opportunities you see, selecting the best one, then you can make several trades per day. But that's going to be tiring, so you're likely to only be able to make two or three good trades per day. On the chart game this means, twenty good trades per session, after which you should stop because you're worn out.

If you follow the above principles, your edge should work out and make you profitable. If you're not profitable despite following the above principles, then it means you don't have an edge. But since it's easy to have an edge, you're probably not following one of those principles, which can be summarized again as follows:

1) elimination of fixed costs by increasing timeframe and profit target
2) limited loss per trade (stoploss which is made possible by a limited leverage)
3) lower frequency of trading to avoid irrational decisions
4) longer monitoring of markets to pick only the best opportunities

To summarize it all in one sentence: longer timeframe, longer monitoring, fewer trades, with limited losses, should make you profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.