Best Thread Live Cable Trading

dc2000 said:
You are totally Crazy Marm certifiable, nothing to do with stops though just the fact that you are still doing the WORK thing

:LOL: Just working to pay the rent and my whopper of a dental bill (£20k) :rolleyes:

But the day will come...

20k wow
You should have asked about discount for some share advice

Quid pro quo

Oh well, the dentist found my trading rather amusing... I mean he had a licence to torture people and get paid for it quite handsomely too.

Original guesstimate was £10k, but then there were complications...

Marm's a happy camper: long 60 (56+4) didn't work out, hedge short 50 went blah, so when cable finally went to b/e on the long, reversed and harumph :cheesy: OK, OK, nothing spectacular, only +17 +1: +18.

Right, crack a pint can of beer, hit the bed early. Shopping deprived me of my nap and I'm knackered beyond recognition. :|

This article IS gospel though. It's just that Marm is an eternal sinner :devilish:Rules

marmoset said:
Marm's a happy camper: long 60 (56+4) didn't work out, hedge short 50 went blah, so when cable finally went to b/e on the long, reversed and harumph :cheesy: OK, OK, nothing spectacular, only +17 +1: +18.

Right, crack a pint can of beer, hit the bed early. Shopping deprived me of my nap and I'm knackered beyond recognition. :|

This article IS gospel though. It's just that Marm is an eternal sinner :devilish:Rules

marmoset,

I don't understand this hedge thing. Do you lock in your losses or what?

Baruch said:
marmoset,

I don't understand this hedge thing. Do you lock in your losses or what?

Marmoset

I would be interested to hear the theory on that. In my years of trading I've never known anyone hedge their trades using the same instrument on the same timeframe.

You could hedge a GBP spot by trading EUR spot or by GBP future for instance but I would be keen to learn your definition of a hedge.

The way I'm sure most see it is that by hedgeing a 60 long with a 50 short then what you have done is guarenteed a 10 point loss. I must be missing something so any explanation would be appreciated.

another 20 mins then one more time for the masses,

we need to kick it a little as we need a price above 485 before the US open

dc2000 said:
another 20 mins then one more time for the masses,

we need to kick it a little as we need a price above 485 before the US open

dc, what happened to your short, did u close, move stop down, got stopped by a whisker in last move, or still in?

edit: should have said LONG, not SHORT

Morning all. I was stopped out at b/e from my 460 short, but re-shorted at 458. Again, 10 lots with a stop at 512. Im looking for 370 before a bounce up to 485.

GammaJammer said:
GBP weaker on the back of the Walton news. Poor guy was only in his early - mid 40s I think. Makes you ponder. Live every day guys and girls, because you never know what's round the corner.

GJ

Well, dollar stronger against all majors - I don't think it's because of Walton. ;)

GammaJammer said:
GBP weaker on the back of the Walton news. Poor guy was only in his early - mid 40s I think. Makes you ponder. Live every day guys and girls, because you never know what's round the corner.

GJ

What walton news? was?

just saw it on the news! :cry:

Last edited:
Ripcord said:
Marmoset

I would be interested to hear the theory on that. In my years of trading I've never known anyone hedge their trades using the same instrument on the same timeframe.

You could hedge a GBP spot by trading EUR spot or by GBP future for instance but I would be keen to learn your definition of a hedge.

The way I'm sure most see it is that by hedgeing a 60 long with a 50 short then what you have done is guarenteed a 10 point loss. I must be missing something so any explanation would be appreciated.

Hi Ripcord,

You're right, it's not a proper hedge, it's just that the checkbox on the order entry window is labeled "hedge". The proper definition would be "two way trade".

And yes, that particular move would have locked in a 10 pip loss. It's something I sometimes do in a quiet market when a particular move goes against my anticipated initial direction, on the theory that I can close out the losing position later on at b/e. Up till now I've had a 90% success rate with it. It's important to emphasize it only works in sideways markets, based on the observation that any price will be hit several times during the day. 8460 was hit 3x during Tokyo and then umpteen times before London opening. Even if I hadn't closed it out at the first possibility, I'd have simple added a limit at b/e and forgot about it.

Two way trading, again, works only in sideways markets. Soon as a trend starts, it's a recipe for disaster, as it induces the false security of "oh, I can always 'hedge' that losing position, it's not a real loss, I can make it back later *insert your own piece of denial here*".
What it does in a trending market is that it eats up your margin, you need to take ever bigger positions to 'hedge' the losers and be able to add to your account. And then on a fine day it's one of those skyrocketing 300 pip days and *bang* margin call after margin call and finally wipe-out.
That type of "take no losses" trading plain simply doesn't work if you don't have Soros' or Buffett's deep pockets and time horizons.

Do I see broad :cheesy: on today's major downturn? ;)

Ouch that smarts a little

Ah well we all make mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin

hi dc
you have your long , still in place I see
never mind every point it comes up is one point less you are losing

and you may make up for it on your long on the dow
You are braver than me , I just trade what I see
good luck
Hornblower

edit nice run down down this morning for a few points
do you think it will run back up this pm

don`t know why I am asking you
cos you the one with the long
( only a bit of leg pulling )
H

Last edited:
USD/JPY looks ready for a fall and it has been leading the market of late, so maybe we will see a rebound soon. Really missed out this morning as I had to watch my daughter swim and so had a limit in short cable at 8415. The gave back the profit with a limit buy at 8370. Damn!