Best Thread Live Cable Trading

Fully agree on paying too much, especially since I chose CMS for its progammable systems. Only thing is: I can't figure out how to prog my way of trading... It's totally discretionary, like, gutfeel, triggerhappy sheer madness. Erm, MonkeyStyle (yep, trained that style of KungFu in a previous life ;))

I like HotspotFX, they've got a market indicator, sort of like a level II screen in stock trading.

CMS gets its feed from Saxo (asking 3.5 on cable, hence the 4 from CMS), I know where Saxo gets his... Sorry, Swiss Banking Secrecy Law :p

diegoeg said:
do you use stops???

Often, not always. When I'm around, no. When I go to sleep, yes, on those positions that aren't too far out... Those get a "mental stop" of 100pips. Sorry excuse for just plain being wrong. So every now and then I got to pull the trigger, in this case, a .45 on those ailing, suffering positions. Put them out their misery. Wiped out my account twice because I couldn't muster the balls to do it... FX is a demanding job, no pain, no gain.

marmoset said:
Often, not always. When I'm around, no. When I go to sleep, yes, on those positions that aren't too far out... Those get a "mental stop" of 100pips. Sorry excuse for just plain being wrong. So every now and then I got to pull the trigger, in this case, a .45 on those ailing, suffering positions. Put them out their misery. Wiped out my account twice because I couldn't muster the balls to do it... FX is a demanding job, no pain, no gain.

I just started in forex a couple of months ago, still no profit from where I started, but learning. I'm dealing in fractional mini-lots in OANDA. Lost money with CMS, slow server, delays, req-quote hell.

How are you determining that cable reached its roof? slow STO is at 87 now, and price could tumble any time soon, right?

diegoeg said:
I just started in forex a couple of months ago, still no profit from where I started, but learning. I'm dealing in fractional mini-lots in OANDA. Lost money with CMS, slow server, delays, req-quote hell.

How are you determining that cable reached its roof? slow STO is at 87 now, and price could tumble any time soon, right?

Dealing in mini-lots myself, but they get bigger as I fatten the account scalping and monkeying around. No shame in starting small. I've got fairly deep pockets, but as I stated earlier, I'm hanging in there till the end of the year to prove to myself I can actually do it before pouring in the real moolah. Wiped out my account three times, $10'000 down the tubes... That's real pain, but hard lessons are the ones you'll remember till you hit senile dementia ;) Or as my Kung Fu master would put it: you get hurt hard enough, you'll never make that same mistake again. Marmoset's addendum: you'll find out there's a million other painful mistakes to be made :eek:

CMS is often that brown stuff you scrape off your shoe when it finally dried after you've made yourself the embarassment of the office.... I try to trade the news, can't get in, can't get out (had a profitable position hanging in limbo for a solid 6 minutes once on a NFP dice 'n slice rollercoaster... talk about chewing fingernails right up to your elbows) etc. etc. But then again, trade with the worst, and you'll build muscle for the real ones. Oanda's been getting quite a bit of good reviews from other folks I yak with in the Zurich watering holes. Serious runner-up

As to figuring out the Tokyo high: no hard rules, just being there and seeing it's usually in early Tokyo, not late Tokyo. You can of course backtest (10sec data can be gotten at Gain Capital) and prove me wrong. Would save me a mountainhiking weekend or two if you did ;)

marmoset said:
Dealing in mini-lots myself, but they get bigger as I fatten the account scalping and monkeying around. No shame in starting small. I've got fairly deep pockets, but as I stated earlier, I'm hanging in there till the end of the year to prove to myself I can actually do it before pouring in the real moolah. Wiped out my account three times, $10'000 down the tubes... That's real pain, but hard lessons are the ones you'll remember till you hit senile dementia ;) Or as my Kung Fu master would put it: you get hurt hard enough, you'll never make that same mistake again. Marmoset's addendum: you'll find out there's a million other painful mistakes to be made :eek:

CMS is often that brown stuff you scrape off your shoe when it finally dried after you've made yourself the embarassment of the office.... I try to trade the news, can't get in, can't get out (had a profitable position hanging in limbo for a solid 6 minutes once on a NFP dice 'n slice rollercoaster... talk about chewing fingernails right up to your elbows) etc. etc. But then again, trade with the worst, and you'll build muscle for the real ones. Oanda's been getting quite a bit of good reviews from other folks I yak with in the Zurich watering holes. Serious runner-up

As to figuring out the Tokyo high: no hard rules, just being there and seeing it's usually in early Tokyo, not late Tokyo. You can of course backtest (10sec data can be gotten at Gain Capital) and prove me wrong. Would save me a mountainhiking weekend or two if you did ;)

WOWWWWW !!!! 10k!!!! I was upset because I lost 80 bucks last week selling Euro at support.

Closed my account at CMS after NFP "after the news" trade would show as "pending" for 15 minutes!!!! (after i pulled the trigger for the third time) had to go through "dealing desk"

Closed my account, went with OANDA, I can go in and out DURING news with these guys. Too bad, no hedging.

Sell stop at 8441

Point in case CMS is really the pits: that suspicious spike there. Haven't seen it on any other chart provider. OK, it got me IN on a very profitable ride down, but if I had used a stop, bye bye profit for the day... Was that stophunting? Tough luck, I was around :devilish:, happened to be the same ride where I was in sheer agony for 6 minutes (the position wasn't peanuts)...

Attachments

• SuspiciousSpike.GIF
    SuspiciousSpike.GIF
    53.4 KB · Views: 135
It looks like it. Haven't experienced Stop hunting with them (They are still awful and I recommend everyone to stay the hell away from them) FX Solutions is known to spike up or down taking out stops.

Looks like cable its topping. What do you consider LATE tokyo session?

diegoeg said:
It looks like it. Haven't experienced Stop hunting with them (They are still awful and I recommend everyone to stay the hell away from them) FX Solutions is known to spike up or down taking out stops.

Looks like cable its topping. What do you consider LATE tokyo session?

Early: after 17.00 NY (or EST)
Active: around 8.30 Tokyo, that 1.30 CET, 19.30 EST
Late: no hard time, something like noodletime in Tokyo: 4.30 CET, 22.30 EST

laptop1 said:
I dont think cable is topping, I see it going up

Neither is wrong or right. Cable will go where it will.

Let that sink in.

CABLE WILL GO WHERE IT WILL.

There, so much for technical indicators etc. I'm down 25 pips on my short 22, my short 42 is going nowhere.

The only thing I see is no real pressure building on the upside, so it may turn out like yesterday: hunt and scalp around, till finally cable hits the level of that forlorn 22 short. If not, well, there's always that long entry that I've kept up there since yesterday (yep, at 62), looking for a breakout.

Guys, this isn't dogma, or papal infallibility. Just keep your powder dry and roll with your punches. ;)

Last edited:
laptop1 said:
Averaging down is not good practice, you get away with most of the time, but, it only takes one trade to wipe you out

What do you mean by Averaging down ?

diegoeg said:
What do you mean by Averaging down ?
By, selling @18 then sell more @ 38 and sell some more @ 55..you get an Average price of 37, but by doing this you are holding a larger stake than you would normally hold

laptop1 said:
Averaging down is not good practice, you get away with most of the time, but, it only takes one trade to wipe you out

I hear ya!, but then again, this isn't a newsladen week, with expectations all over the place. Oh, and, well-funded enough to weather another 150 pips up sure helps. :devilish:

marmoset said:
I hear ya!, but then again, this isn't a newsladen week, with expectations all over the place. Oh, and, well-funded enough to weather another 150 pips up sure helps. :devilish:
well, you never know what going to happen in the world of news to move the FX markets. it can happen anytime. it dont need to be Jobless claims or any other economic date.

We could get an earth quick or another 9.11, who knows!

All I am saying you get away most of the time, but it only takes one trade.

see u guys. im off to bed