How To Think Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Doctor” Price,

“More interested…in what people do for a living”.

“i am a Doctor and lifelong student of price action within the financial markets.” Reading the designation “Doctor” I expected something profound.

However, it is no longer a question of the subject of your doctorate but whether it is genuine, which I doubt.

Respect should be reciprocal, not one-sided. And you hardly encourage respect, do you?

Grant.

grantx said:
“Doctor” Price,

“More interested…in what people do for a living”.

“i am a Doctor and lifelong student of price action within the financial markets.” Reading the designation “Doctor” I expected something profound.

However, it is no longer a question of the subject of your doctorate but whether it is genuine, which I doubt.

Respect should be reciprocal, not one-sided. And you hardly encourage respect, do you?

Grant.

Don't dare to command respect from a far more intellectually advanced member of the trading community.

Dr. Price said:
Don't dare to command respect from a far more intellectually advanced member of the trading community.

Regardless of your intellect Dr. Price, it is a common mistake for people to judge other people on their intelligence or intellectuality (not quite the same), instead of judging/respecting them for the right reasons: i.e. their actions and their behaviour. Respect is something that needs to be earned, not something that one has or has not got, based solely on their respective capacities, in whatever category those might fall.

grantx said:
Dr Price,

What are you a “doctor” of? The more intellectual clout on this site, the better.

Grant

Quite so, Mr. Firewalker. But, before you start lecturing a 'lesson', be sure to have your 'lesson' planned out correctly! You wouldn't want to look like an amateur, would you?

Maybe, grantx, gained my disrespect with this rather intrusive question?

Now do you understand why you will never be accepted by the Elite?

Dr. Price said:

If you deserve it you should get it. Who is to say who is a more intellectually advanced member of the trading community?

Split

Splitlink said:
If you deserve it you should get it. Who is to say who is a more advanced member of the trading community?

Split

Under normal circumstances you would be correct, S/link. But seeing as though you still trade without a plan and use SB firms for 50pence/pt trades, i very much doubt you could spot anyone or anything deserving of respect.

Dr. Price said:
Quite so, Mr. Firewalker. But, before you start lecturing a 'lesson', be sure to have your 'lesson' planned out correctly! You wouldn't want to look like an amateur, would you?

Maybe, grantx, gained my disrespect with this rather intrusive question?

Now do you understand why you will never be accepted by the Elite?

For the record, I wasn't lecturing or giving out lessons. I don't consider myself a teacher and I don't have the life experience to say who we should and should not respect. But the one thing I can do, is have a rational opinion on why someone would earn somebody's respect (or disrespect for that matter). And the one thing that I have learnt, is that asking questions that confront the receiving party, are often not taken into gratitude. Somehow it seems "not done" to question your teachers, your elders, your (by whatever measure) superiors, your social background, tradition.... Strange that those who preach to be contrarian, seem to be all the less contrarian when it comes to this.

firewalker99 said:
For the record, I wasn't lecturing or giving out lessons. I don't consider myself a teacher and I don't have the life experience to say who we should and should not respect. But the one thing I can do, is have a rational opinion on why someone would earn somebody's respect (or disrespect for that matter). And the one thing that I have learnt, is that asking questions that confront the receiving party, are often not taken into gratitude. Somehow it seems "not done" to question your teachers, your elders, your (by whatever measure) superiors, your social background, tradition.... Strange that those who preach to be contrarian, seem to be all the less contrarian when it comes to this.

Don't keep waffling, Firewalker! It's tiresome and tedious, and that is it's better side.

Dr. Price said:
Under normal circumstances you would be correct, S/link. But seeing as though you still trade without a plan and use SB firms for 50pence/pt trades, i very much doubt you could spot anyone or anything deserving of respect.

You are an insulting b********d which, I suppose, clarifies my position as far as respect for you is concerned.. How I trade should be of of no concern to you and, apart from confirming that I use spreadbetting firms, my trading stakes and plans have never been a matter for discussion.

Split

Splitlink said:
You are an insulting b********d which, I suppose, clarifies my position as far as respect for you is concerned.. How I trade should be of of no concern to you and, apart from confirming that I use spreadbetting firms, my trading stakes and plans have never been a matter for discussion.

Split

Ha ha ha ha ha! You're an emotional wreck of a trader, S/L! Destined for the big end of the spectrum, the big NINE ZERO PERCENT! Ha ha ha!

Dr. Price said:
Ha ha ha ha ha! You're an emotional wreck of a trader, S/L! Destined for the big end of the spectrum, the big NINE ZERO PERCENT! Ha ha ha!

Relax, Pinhead, you'll never know.

Splitlink said:
Relax, Pinhead, you'll never know.

Ha ha ha ha ha! You need a good memory to be a good liar, Split! Haaaaaaaa ha haha!

You've already told me you are a pathetic BIG END trader!

You just don't realise it......do you?

Go away and read some, Enid Blighton. Just don't get involved with anything of a mature and adult nature. Spltty Witty.

zupcon said:
My opinion carries absolutely no weight whatsoever; because I don’t trade option’s and therefore wouldn’t under normal circumstances even dream of offering an opinion. However since you’ve asked me, I’ll respond.

Anyone reading this response should bear in mind that I have only a rudimentary knowledge of options, I’m aware of the basic mechanics and strategies, and I have a grasp of the statistical probabilities involved, but that’s all, I’ve never made or lost a penny trading options, nor am I likely too

However, from my limited knowledge, I am aware that most options expire worthless, which means that the writer is going to be right most of the time, but when they’re wrong, the consequences can potentially be disastrous. In simple terms the writer has become the insurance company, collecting premiums, hoping and praying they don’t get to experience that 1 in 1000 year storm next week.

What I will say however from a more practical perspective is that it’s exceedingly unlikely that either party has what I would term an inherent edge from either buying or selling. If that where the case, it would imply that I could profit from selling naked options tomorrow with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever, and make a killing. I really don’t think that I could do that, and I would also assume you would think that I couldn’t do that either, otherwise you wouldn’t have made your earlier statement about the need for brains and strategies. I certainly wouldnt want to me a member of a group who considered themselves "elite" simply on the basis of knowing one piece of information :LOL:

I think Socrates probably comes closest to answering your particular question, when he made his statement about you mastering a niche. I think in order to be successful you also require trading skills and forecasting abilities, psychological control, I would actually argue that your edge is probably far more to do with minimisation and management of risk, knowledge of hedging strategies, negotiation of protocols with brokers with respect to margin requirements, and probably 1001 other tricks that you’ve picked up over the years that I couldn’t even begin to comprehend. It’s these edges that allow you to sell options profitably, the fact that your selling is of little consequence.

I would argue that a buyer, with similarly honed skills (one of the elite if you like) could also profit, and indeed they do. I trust you see and understand the argument that I’m trying to make. On another level, I am aware that some traders do develop a directional preference or bias, monitoring my own trade results clearly show this to be the case, and it’s a subject I’ve discussed many times previously in private with others who have experienced the same.

I think that the main reason that threads such as yours become a little infuriating for the general readership, and indeed become disruptive is due to the principal participants taking the position that that niche that they’re exploiting (either buying or selling) is the one and only definitive solution.

Its infuriating for 2 reasons, firstly it simply isn’t true, as there are clearly others who exploit diametrically opposing niches to that that you personally adopt, so arguing otherwise doesn’t make much sense.

The second reason its infuriating is the principal participants know that there can never be a satisfactory resolution to these arguments, and the more astute standing on the sidelines are also aware that there can never be a satisfactory resolution without one party letting cats out of bags, that need to remain in bags.

Some might say that it’s almost pointless starting such a thread at all. However I personally wouldn’t take this view, there is a certain educational benefit for members who attempt to follow the various arguments, and I personally must admit to spending a couple of interesting days reading information at both the thinkorswim and liffe websites. It didn’t make me an options trader, and it didn’t qualify me to referee on your argument, but it did expand my horizons and give me a few things to think about so not a complete waste of time.

It’s sad that your thread deteriorated in the way they did, and that your “style” makes you easy to spot on the odd occasion when you pop back in and pay a visits. However when members start calling other members Monkey’s and Morons and start getting hysterical the moderators have little option other than to ply their trade and step in, and in doing so, they provide yet a further example of my earlier comments regarding history repeating.

Perhaps not the answer you or other members of the elite where looking for, but the best I can do from my unfortunate position as intellectual pygmy and ,moron

regards and best wishes
zup

Zup,

I haven't read all your post its too long. But, i have read a few lines. I will make a small comment on what i read on those few lines.

Firstly you need to be approved by your broker to write options. Secondly you have to show you have plenty of cash in account to meet the risks.
Thirdly you have to know how to deal with the positions when Mrkt turns against you! its called HEDGING.Sorry i cant give you more than i have already.

O69

Dr. Price said:
Ha ha ha ha ha! You need a good memory to be a good liar, Split! Haaaaaaaa ha haha!

You've already told me you are a pathetic BIG END trader!

You just don't realise it......do you?

Go away and read some, Enid Blighton. Just don't get involved with anything of a mature and adult nature. Spltty Witty.

Mr Price,

in your "few days" and 28 posts you've covered yourself in glory and learned an awfaul lot about people here.....no, really.

Your conclusions are dubious, your abilities as a trader are unknown, but your entry as T2W's village idiot is unchallenged.

UTB

Mind, bantering with so many nicks, held by so few people, does nothing for the old star count :rolleyes:
P

orion69 said:
Zup,

I haven't read all your post its too long. But, i have read a few lines. I will make a small comment on what i read on those few lines.

Firstly you need to be approved by your broker to write options. Secondly you have to show you have plenty of cash in account to meet the risks.
Thirdly you have to know how to deal with the positions when Mrkt turns against you! its called HEDGING.Sorry i cant give you more than i have already.

O69

I appologise for the long post, will however draw your attention to the following section of the post that you couldn’t be bothered to read. Perhaps you could spend 30 seconds of your time to read it

I would actually argue that your edge is probably far more to do with minimisation and management of risk, knowledge of hedging strategies, negotiation of protocols with brokers with respect to margin requirements, and probably 1001 other tricks that you’ve picked up over the years that I couldn’t even begin to comprehend. It’s these edges that allow you to write options profitably, the fact that your writing is of little consequence.

then again, Im an intellectual pygmy, so what the hell would I know

regards
zup

the blades said:
Mind, bantering with so many nicks, held by so few people, does nothing for the old star count :rolleyes:
P
That's funny, I noticed that too! I attempted to redress the balance, with little success ;)

the blades said:
Mr Price,

in your "few days" and 28 posts you've covered yourself in glory and learned an awfaul lot about people here.....no, really.

Your conclusions are dubious, your abilities as a trader are unknown, but your entry as T2W's village idiot is unchallenged.

UTB

P

Well, well, well, 'Blades'. You've been a member since 2004! How many more New Years Resolutions are you going to break?

Next year you really must try to write something worthwhile for the other members. What have you ever written in your long and prestigious time on these boards.

Anything worth reading?

Don't bother answering, i can tell you probably need 4 or 5 years, for the real interesting you to come out.

“Doctor” Price,

My “intrusive question” was a result of your statement that you are a “Doctor”. Curiosity (no, suspicion) on my part.

“Intellectually advanced”? On what basis could we infer this? Nothing so far, apart from a few fatuous posts.

What do we know? You came from Poland. What this choice or coercion? Choice in that you sought a better life; coercion in that you were a communist, fascist, Jew (more likely you were thrown out for being boring and obnoxious). Your father was a solicitor. Is this relevant to the forum? This is pure fantasy.

“lecturing a lesson” Where the fkcu did you learn English? You’re no more than a doctor than Doctor Faustus. Correction: Doctor Doolittle.

Splitlink,

“Relax, Pinhead, you'll never know.” But what do we know, “Doctor”?

Could someone enlighten me as to this “elite” club?

Grant.

Status
Not open for further replies.