FTSE, DAX, DOW Trading Ideas and discussions

yeah, i would have lost a lot more if i went around placing trades with no stops. i don't know how some people do that.

When I was scalping all the time last year, I did not use a fixed hard stop, but I was very quick to exit if I spotted the trap too late (as I'd already entered), but got out in time not to get sucked into the hole after entry.

I always have the broker telephone number as very easy to access, & ensure mobile access is also good, as a couple of back ups.

Now I use a wider stop (20'ish) & get a trailer in as fast as possible if my analysis of the pa is correct.
If it feels wrong I will not let it get anywhere near 20 point loss, just bail & wait, many will see this as twitchy nervous trading, but the Dax can suck your 20 pts, then another 10, 20.......then the hole.

My main focus is not to get dragged into a massive move if I've read it wrong & had my pants pulled down, as I did last year with too high £pp.

Then I try & read into who is about get them pulled down.

Slow creepy pa is a no go entry area for me.

It is presently more difficult to scalp on dax, due to the very fast jumps in both direction. that jumps are often between 6 -15 pips and come totally from" the outside of the universe"
I wander if it is not due to the HFT boys doing diligently their doggy craft.
That means that one has to get a larger SL based on a larger TF and trade in the direction of a trend on that higher TF, otherwise there are going to be many SL triggered.
S/R on these TF is paramount!
That jumpiness has intensified within the last few weeks.
Has anybody else observed it too. Dax in that aspect became more like Dow.
Would like to know opinions of others who spend time trading and observing Dax PA especially on a shorter FT like M1 and M5, or on tick charts like tick233, or is it just my own imagination!

Dax in a downward trend??? see 15 min chart

On the shorter term daily time frame, based on the daily HeikenAshi chart, the momentum has turned positive as of the last Friday close. What we are experiencing now is just short term pullbacks. It has tested the 11700 level today but the direction is still yet unclear with the Greek theme still very much up in the air. But i trust that it will hit 12000 mark sometime soon based on the delta projections by prop trader friends of mine. May 15/18 timing will dictate a clearer direction. Eitherway, i urge caution and trade with a larger stop.

On the weekly timeframe, its actually negative so Im actually cautious.

On the shorter term daily time frame, based on the daily HeikenAshi chart, the momentum has turned positive as of the last Friday close. What we are experiencing now is just short term pullbacks. It has tested the 11700 level today but the direction is still yet unclear with the Greek theme still very much up in the air. But i trust that it will hit 12000 mark sometime soon based on the delta projections by prop trader friends of mine. May 15/18 timing will dictate a clearer direction. Eitherway, i urge caution and trade with a larger stop.

On the weekly timeframe, its actually negative so Im actually cautious.

Agreed. But all contingent on Greece

It is presently more difficult to scalp on dax, due to the very fast jumps in both direction. that jumps are often between 6 -15 pips and come totally from" the outside of the universe"
I wander if it is not due to the HFT boys doing diligently their doggy craft.
That means that one has to get a larger SL based on a larger TF and trade in the direction of a trend on that higher TF, otherwise there are going to be many SL triggered.
S/R on these TF is paramount!
That jumpiness has intensified within the last few weeks.
Has anybody else observed it too. Dax in that aspect became more like Dow.
Would like to know opinions of others who spend time trading and observing Dax PA especially on a shorter FT like M1 and M5, or on tick charts like tick233, or is it just my own imagination!

You are right to say that its becoming more difficult to trade on the Dax. But thats whats unique about it. I cant say the its the same as the Dow though as they are influenced by general factors and unique sentiments relevant to their markets. Markets generally move in tandem to each other. There is some lagg but the prop & HFT traders have closed that gap for the past few years now. The Dax has a greater volatility compared to the Dow but thats what makes it interesting for us day traders. Just dont get caught out on the short end of the stick. :whistling

Last edited:
For me all contingent is on the direction of morning & afternoon flow, inc speed of flow (v imp for me)

I keep an eye on current market mood etc, but I couldn't give a fiddlers monkey about greece while I'm in my trade window, by the time news is released it's done & dusted & we are looking at the tail end of the subsequent move, my eye is on the flow, but without being hypnotized & having a particular bias for too long.

Is the price where you think others are in trouble ?

Can I buy/sell this current price & offload it to another price level ?

I make myself aware of data release times, but the overall trend will have major pullbacks, so yes you maybe right to enter, but if the timing in the flow is off whack, then whack !!

I always anticipate aggressive test of my entry, essential imho.

Apologies, just read back, I'm making myself out to be a super trader, I most certainly am not, I miss many opportunities that stare me in the face, but experience has taught me to be nimble.

I'll now wait for the open to sort itself out, I've missed my slot, focusing on this forum.

Note to self........stay off forum during hours.

For me all contingent is on the direction of morning & afternoon flow, inc speed of flow (v imp for me)

I keep an eye on current market mood etc, but I couldn't give a fiddlers monkey about greece while I'm in my trade window, by the time news is released it's done & dusted & we are looking at the tail end of the subsequent move, my eye is on the flow, but without being hypnotized & having a particular bias for too long.

Is the price where you think others are in trouble ?

Can I buy/sell this current price & offload it to another price level ?

I make myself aware of data release times, but the overall trend will have major pullbacks, so yes you maybe right to enter, but if the timing in the flow is off whack, then whack !!

I always anticipate aggressive test of my entry, essential imho.

That would be a good idea. Im waiting for the US announcements in 20mins to dictate my next move. Not making any big moves till then. The bollingers are looking too narrow for my liking but i do but on the dip at the rsi 30% levels on the 1min &3min charts :p n take a tiny 15-20pts scalp

Apologies, just read back, I'm making myself out to be a super trader, I most certainly am not, I miss many opportunities that stare me in the face, but experience has taught me to be nimble.

I'll now wait for the open to sort itself out, I've missed my slot, focusing on this forum.

Note to self........stay off forum during hours.

Gotta keep humble dude. Its when we think we are super traders that we often get lost n lose sight of the big moves n get caught out. And we only need a few opportunites a day to be doing gd. The forum to me is my therapy to stay grounded n not get lost into the euphoria n crowd behavior.

a pump or a dump

155nx4y.gif