FTSE 100 August 2004

no emotion here bracke. just obeying the system.

no room for emotion when im down to my last pair of trousers......

just watch it fall ......:)

FetteredChinos said:
no emotion here bracke. just obeying the system.

no room for emotion when im down to my last pair of trousers......

just watch it fall ......:)

Is obeying the system the same as following orders.

Don't worry about the trousers, you've got all those shorts you can wear

Regards

bracke

FetteredChinos said:
i love it when things dont quite go according to plan..

Yes its so reassuring that the irrational market is still in place. A change of tack....oil goes up so do the markets. Are your stops in danger of being hit ?

Regards

bracke

came within 20 points of getting stopped out for -100. nuts..

dow has again plunged.. so we are currently -50 from entry at 9934.

all over the shop today... 3 pattern still intact, but only just.. so in theory im looking for a sell-off STILL.

taking yonks to do it though. Oil not helping things...

FetteredChinos said:
came within 20 points of getting stopped out for -100. nuts..

dow has again plunged.. so we are currently -50 from entry at 9934.

all over the shop today... 3 pattern still intact, but only just.. so in theory im looking for a sell-off STILL.

taking yonks to do it though. Oil not helping things...

Give it time, you know what the dow often does in the last hour of trading.

Its hardly a settled market that indicates a large rise is in order.

Regards

bracke

alliance said:
I thought I read on TT site (y'day) that author was looking for 10,100..was that a wind-up then?

Now I'm a really confused lurker.

DC suggests a 10100 target, FC goes short from 9934, and we closed today at 10083. :confused: this Genesis system seems far too complicated for me :LOL:

And another thing... isn't this a FTSE thread????

(repeats mantra "don't go to T2W after drinking bottle of sauvignon blanc..."

Well that's wot u get for lurking MGB ;)

DC's 10,100 was apparently a wind up..(at the time..lol)
You are correct..this IS the FTSE thread but as bracke and I were talking to ourselves most of the time (thanks to ..yes..u guessed it...LURKERS)....we decided to spice it up a lil with dow comments. Bracke did suggest an amalgamation with the dow thread but we thought the mention of the ftse might get short shrift there ;)

Still...we teased u outta ur (hic hic) lurk :)

No trades here 2day...contemplated a long again last nt..but thought the better of it!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just KNEW this was gonna be a plane building day! :(

Optimists make planes....Pessimists make parachutes :)

alliance said:
ARGHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just KNEW this was gonna be a plane building day! :(

Optimists make planes....Pessimists make parachutes :)

Better not to have traded and not lost, than to have traded and lost. 'Robbie bracke'

My dow trade proved to be no better than my one liner above.

Stopped out. I have decided that I must not trade the dow again until I really know what I am doing. I have tried short stops , medium stops and long stops all to no avail. The volatility of the index leaves little room for error. I am coming to the conclusion that it has to be short stops allied to a system similar to Chartmans.

Back to the ftse which gapped up this morning by approx 25 points. I have taken a short at 4382.

So MGB Roadster lets have a few more thoughts from you and all the Morris Minors who inhabit Lurkland.

Regards

bracke

sorry to hear that Bracke. its not nice when being stopped out..

the annoying thing is that we could well see that sell off today!! the FTSE is in the process of forming negative divergance on a 5 min chart, and could well try to close its gap.

still, following a method, regardless of win or loss should be regarded as a successful trade...

FC

FetteredChinos said:
sorry to hear that Bracke. its not nice when being stopped out..

the annoying thing is that we could well see that sell off today!! the FTSE is in the process of forming negative divergance on a 5 min chart, and could well try to close its gap.

still, following a method, regardless of win or loss should be regarded as a successful trade...

FC

Indeed it isn' but thats the market we trade in.

A sell off would not surprise me but neither would a further rise. The volatility of the dow makes it difficult to trade, for me anyway

I am not sure I agree with you last line. I understand the sentiment but in the final anlysis its net points gain and hence cash into the account that is the measure of success.

I shall stick to my gap trading for a while as I have a good level of success with that.

Regards

bracke

true, but if you have a system that is net positive, then you should stick with it, knowing that it will come to the good eventually.

it is deviation from a method/system, that causes problems...

good luck with the gaps buddy.

you shorting the FTSE now?

Morning all:
No luck bracke..sorry 2hear u got stopped out :(
Like u, I wouldnt be surprised if we went further up...certainly good support seems to have moved up to the 4350's on the ftse and I don't think 4400+ is unattainable. Since u already have a good level of success on ur (infamous) gaps bracke...may I ask why u dont stick with that strategy ...but increase ur stake?

FC:
Thank the lord u were only paper trading then ;) It is actually perhaps fortuitous that it failed so soon after initial success........gives everyone a reality check and reminds us that no system works all the time. I look fwd to reading more results over the coming weeks. btw, now that 2nd trade is closed out...is that it for the week?

yup, all done for the week..

had we been successful and had a big sell off, we may have been targeting a bit of a bounce later today...

as it is, neither happened. but we could be going down today and tmr to complete a 5 pattern week. or if we break yesterday's highs, then we could be going up today and tmr to complete a trend week.

deep joy..

FWIW, I favour the latter....but not so much that I am prepared to put any money on it ;)

FC
Yes I am short the Sept Ftse at 4382.

alliance

I was thinking the same thing myself IE stick to trading gaps and increase stake.

The perceived attraction of the dow is the large point opportunities upwards and downwards but not necessarily in the order required.

I have not looked at trading the gaps on the dow so I am now going to start. Not trading them but following thier closure or non closure and drawdowns.

Regards

bracke