Forex trading live calls and set ups

I am thinking of closing this thread (Beachtrader voted a No)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no not at all. I was saying that I could help him with staking plans.
Everything I do is totally from the eye and the lines I place. I cant see how any automatic system can work over time as in the long run every starting point has a 50% chance of moving in the right direction. So any automatic system would have to be re programmed according to market conditions. I think Leo knows more and has given up on them

I dont know.
I am pretty much manual like you and trade 'from the eye' as you say, but If a method is technical, I dont really see why it couldn't be programmed assuming you were some computing/programming genius. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to start, as i can barely cut and paste.
The trendlines you place, for example, have a reason to them, and i guess you choose them based on certain technical criteria being met.
I obviously dont know the exact ins and outs of your method, but from what i have seen, and the charts you have posted, I dont really see why it couldn't be automated?

I could well be wrong though, and I dont suppose ill get the chance to find out any time soon, as I dont intend to learn programming, and just feel more comfortable in general being at the screen.

A bit of Good Friday reading, hope this is OK guys, the thread will no doubt fly a straighter course after the hols...obviously Dirk will be biased, given his mentorship programme, but he reels of some interesting data and IMHO his advice is mostly sound..

The Forex Robot World Cup – Another playground for the forex loser

Recently a large and well-respected forex broker hosted the forex robot world cup (FRWC). The supposed idea was to get all the “top” forex automated trading systems (robots) competing with each other to find the cream of the crop so that you, the retail forex trader could benefit by buying one of these ‘top’ systems.

That was the supposed idea. The real idea was to sell more rubbish to an unsuspecting (or gullible) public. This would come in the form of $995 a pop for the “best” robots as “proved” by the competition.

So it all started with a $150,000 carrot to get computer programmers to give themselves out as traders and experts creating automated trading expert advisors. This created a nice big ticket “product” for the internet marketing boys to sell so they could boast about their last 6-figure payday on their next internet marketing video.

Why do I say this competition is junk? Here’s why:

The first- placed robot (the competition ran over two months only) made returns of 145% with the next best coming at 88% over the same period. Slick marketing told you how rigorous the testing and process was and how you can now buy these robots and trade away to the end of time without having to think too much – for only $995 fee to gain access to the “best of the web”.

I ‘ll tell you in a minute why this is all just the same old hype in a new package but really it is not even necessary for me to go to that trouble if you apply some common sense. Tell me again what you are buying? A forex machine that you plug in and play? Data goes in one end, money comes out the other? Where do I sign up?

Right over here please, along with this long queue of suckers.

Ok, don’t believe me? Well tell me this then. What on earth are they doing closing subscriptions to purchase the top robots after only a few weeks on the market? I mean these guys are sitting on the hottest money making machine ever invented by man. Here is a robot that can return more than 1000% a year. If you start today with $1000 you will be able to retire with $100,000,000 after five years of leisure.

Is anything adding up for you yet? No?

All right, try this for size. Fact – nine out of ten forex traders fail. This competition took the 329 “best” robots, in other words, the one in ten principle would deliver 30 positive results. Let’s say 32 out of the 329 robots. And what did they get? Ten percent? Five percent? Not even. About 3% of all the “best” wannabees made positive returns.

Do you know what these guys are selling? Really selling? I’ll tell you. They are selling your perfectly good democratic right to be ignorant and lazy. Lazy because you don’t have to think, the robot will do that for you. Ignorant because everything they say and do is premised on a misconception of how the forex market works.

C’mon guys, I mean really.

If you take a couple of hundred trading robots, someone is going to give you extraordinary returns over two months. It is a natural bell curve. Over six months that bell curve will flatten out and after a year the picture is going to look a little sick for the forex robot believer. Do yourself a favour. Ask them to run the competition with this year’s winner for twelve months instead of two months, and see what they say.

What happened to the most revered adage of “past performance is no indication of future performance”? On what basis can you value the performance of a few randomly assembled computer programmes seeking patterns in the sea of currency price data over two months? How can this ever have any meaning in determining potential long term returns? Odds are even that the worst of these robots and the best of them over the first two months will have changed places in two years, or most likely, both will have converged to zero returns.

In effect what they are saying is that it is possible to reduce the most complex, liquid, biggest market ever to exist to binary code, let a computer programmer who doesn’t know his Euro from his Yen, put it in a trading robot and make money. That’s how predictable the forex market is according to them. If you want to carry on believing that then I think that there is nothing that will ever stop you except a big hole in your bank account, and even then… But if you don’t believe me that this is a recipe to lose money, buy a robot, let it run for a year or two and see for yourself.

Oh sorry I forgot, you can’t. They aren’t selling them anymore.

If you disagree with me, tell me why. Convince me that I am the one talking rubbish. But if what I am saying makes sense to you then you are probably a Bird Watcher already, or fast on your way to becoming one.

http://www.dirkdutoit.com/blog/?p=336#more-336

I dont know.
I am pretty much manual like you and trade 'from the eye' as you say, but If a method is technical, I dont really see why it couldn't be programmed assuming you were some computing/programming genius. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to start, as i can barely cut and paste.
The trendlines you place, for example, have a reason to them, and i guess you choose them based on certain technical criteria being met.
I obviously dont know the exact ins and outs of your method, but from what i have seen, and the charts you have posted, I dont really see why it couldn't be automated?

I could well be wrong though, and I dont suppose ill get the chance to find out any time soon, as I dont intend to learn programming, and just feel more comfortable in general being at the screen.

Putting fairly simple code as an EA into the back end of MT4/5 is very simple, there's a dedicated support forum for help and certain brokers help to. A basic x-over works ok ON ENTRIES, but the key to trading success comes in MM/position size which has to be determined by where you take exits. You could just let the trade ride to the next x-over but you can see that's wasteful. That's were it starts to get tricky and IMHO your discretion, on when and where to exit, cannot be replicated by a robot.

A lot of robots are simple MACD/histogram x- overs with a bit of a tweak, if target profit (limit) is hit then trade is closed, similarly if stop is breached. Long term I don't see how it can work. Theory can't be argued with but the practicality...

Having said all that no doubt the big boys have some weird algos to die for...but they cost more than $199 to make/maintain...

Cable volatility breakout automated system

This is my 100% automated systems that I used in 2006-7. I could easily go commercial with this kind of equity curve.

It is a swing trading system - often riding a big trend for up to 10 days catching 2-5'00 pips.

Mind you, it became choppy in Spring-Mid 2007.

Point is - programmed trading, swing trading, large stops and all the topics that tend to come from some gurus who visit this thread once in a while - are no stranger to me, who is using a 8-pip stop on GBPUSD to capture 40-pip move. :sleep:

Attachments

• Cable_VEBO_2006-07equitycurve.PNG
    Cable_VEBO_2006-07equitycurve.PNG
    82.9 KB · Views: 126
Do you have set time for working hours? I want to use 4-hour/1-hour bars within my method but it requires entry at odd hours. I can't find a suitable working hours using 1-4hr bars. My current method use Daily/4-hour/60mins as guidance and 15mins & Tick100 as the entry TF and the good thing is I can get enough opportunities between 7am to 4pm.

Sorry only just caught this, I'll take a trade at midnight - 1am if it meets the criteria. Has to be that way if trading (in particular) the Jap pairs and AU..IMO swing and or position trading is a lifestyle choice and swinging up to 9 pairs on longer TFs is no more stress/activity than 2 pairs off short TFs. However, I can't put a definite % on it but the majority of trades swing (on my edge) between 8-5, if I miss an entry ( perhaps a 2 hour candle) at 4 or 6 am there's generally still plenty of scope to justify an entry..

Hi guys

This is the entry yesterday with a stop below the low.What is wrong with it?I got confirmation of an upmove and went for it.

Maybe I should have waited for a limit order at 30 and missed the move .

I accepted a loss of -12 on the next bar.I will now move to 20 pips minimum for day trading.

O D T

Attachments

• 12 pip call.jpg
    12 pip call.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 103
I've spent considerable time coding metatrader ea's, backtesting etc... Most of my ea's are exactly that, ADVISORS, or ASSISTANTS. I use them to identify possible set-ups I use and alert me. It saves me from having to be at the computer all day and can sort through many fx pairs instead of just a few that I can watch. In other words I am using them as a tool to help me, not DO for me. I've never had any inclination to submit anything to the trading contests. Far too much time and effort involved in something that requires as much or more luck than skill.

Peter

Re: Cable volatility breakout automated system

This is my 100% automated systems that I used in 2006-7. I could easily go commercial with this kind of equity curve.

It is a swing trading system - often riding a big trend for up to 10 days catching 2-5'00 pips.

Mind you, it became choppy in Spring-Mid 2007.

Point is - programmed trading, swing trading, large stops and all the topics that tend to come from some gurus who visit this thread once in a while - are no stranger to me, who is using a 8-pip stop on GBPUSD to capture 40-pip move.

Leo

Please explain to us how you enter trades.Do you place limit orders on the previous low + spread , and stop 8 pips below the previous low?

O D T

morning all

Lets see how this goes buy eur/gbp at 8882 s/l 10

I shouldnt be taking this trade as i didnt get in till 4 am and have had a few.
havent stayed out that late in ages, and I rarely drink.lets hope it relaxes me and I pick winners with confidence.

doesnt look like much is happening,what time are those figures coming out.I cant remeber what trading is normally like on GF,any ideas

Would that be women flash (y) :cheesy:

"just the normal array of peasant girls from the estate.its been a good Friday for them so far "

im beginning to think I shouldnt be in this trade
have moved stop to 8868 which is just below the line.
This is a break that normally works,but it looks like the market is doing nothing as there is no momentumn

"just the normal array of peasant girls from the estate.its been a good Friday for them so far "

im beginning to think I shouldnt be in this trade
have moved stop to 8868 which is just below the line.
This is a break that normally works,but it looks like the market is doing nothing as there is no momentumn

Are you related to this Flashheart, Flashy? Woof! Woof!

it looks like the market is doing nothing as there is no momentumn

Europe is having a bank holiday and NFP is 1:30pm (UK time)

I doubt anything will be moving this am :sleep:

imho you could go back to bed for a few hours to catch up :)sleeping:, not more girls!)

Hi Trendie dont mind if I park the old booties on you do you,lets get comfortable and talk about me.

Its a great scene,but think i just prefer the one in my link. It doesnt matter how many times I watch blackadder is till luagh every time. I will try and replace it with a compilation

Hi guys

This is the entry yesterday with a stop below the low.What is wrong with it?I got confirmation of an upmove and went for it.
Maybe I should have waited for a limit order at 30 and missed the move .

I accepted a loss of -12 on the next bar.I will now move to 20 pips minimum for day trading.

O D T

Hi ODT

I'll help you with your query. 20 pips will not work either with this kind of set up. The reason is not about where the previous low is or the stoploss distance. It's about time & volatility.

3:00pm UK time (10am ET) is a news event time. Conventional stops are too obvious and shouldn't be used near news events.

As for stoploss, vary your stoploss but you can fix your $ risk by position sizing ie. 10pip stoploss position is twice as large as 20pip stoploss position.

Re: Cable volatility breakout automated system

Leo

Please explain to us how you enter trades.Do you place limit orders on the previous low + spread , and stop 8 pips below the previous low?

O D T

Do you want to know how I place orders now or how I did with that particular system? I will answer both anyway.

I am using IBFX from Interactive Brokers - typical spreads are 0.5 for USDJPY and 1pip for EURUSD, 2.00 for GBPUSD. I always check 'bid-ask' against 'last' price ie., if the last price is 92.50 and bid ask is 92.51-52 then I try to enter a buy limit at 92.51, sell limit at 92.52. For stops, I will use (92.50-stoploss distance) for Sell stoploss order because it is UP biased.

For automated system, I simply used market orders. Hope this helps. :)

I will be enjoying GF today... (= good friday) :cheesy:

Good luck to you all and happy holidays! see you all back on Monday!