Forex Day Trader's Thread

I'm doing a wide parameter long on EUR/JPY . if 131 holds I would imagine there's plenty of upside.. the TREND is UP after all.

took profit +200 pips, that undoes yesterdays disaster, as i said sell stop below the daily lows if it breaks out, might take a cheeky long off the lows as pippy said

Stopped out at $0 because I don't like how it has only moved up 15 pips even though S&P has moved up 1% in the same period.. seems really heavy.. big support at 131 and 130.65

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:30:45 PM
ECB's Constancio:European recession appears to be 'deeper' than that in the US; International responses to economic crisis is 'insufficient'
- Monetary policy is less effective as tool to handle economic crisis if rates are below a specific level; has been adequate thus far in dealing with crisis

i got stopped out with very small profit on my short GBP/USD. guess there a lot of buyers out there for sterling. Think i was right last week in saying that there is positive sentiment surrounding the pound

yup looking that way, last week i had the pound going higher but then i become bullish the dollar which over writ that idea

EUR/JPY is up 30 pips even though equities are falling.. so confusing!

Well, I got 50 pips back last night but am still -180 for the week.. I think I can easily get that back... possibly even today

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:08:01 PM
US Market Update
Dow -61 S&P -6.4 NASDAQ -10
- Equity indices opened lower for the second morning in a row, as investors disregarded Goldman's big quarterly profit and pulled back on the surprising decline in March advanced retail sales. The latter data came in at -1.1%, well below the expected +0.3% reading, although the prior figure was revised upward. But stocks have generally pared losses from the open ahead of President Obama's speech on the recovery. In a newspaper interview published overnight, Fed Chairman Bernanke expressed his "fundamental optimism" regarding the US economy, a view that clashed with comments by Fed Governor Fisher, who told an audience in Hong Kong the US economic data remains "quite grim." After spending the European session above $50, front-month crude ducked back under this level despite the EIA forecasting a much smaller decline in 2009 world oil consumption over last month's view in its short-term outlook. Treasury prices ticked slightly higher following the retail sales figures pushing the 10-year yield back towards 2.81%.

- Goldman Sachs's Q1 earnings surprise is having a mixed impact on the financials this morning, with many tier-one banks in the red, Bank of America making very modest gains and Citigroup up around 15% early on. Shares of GS dropped 5% to meet the firm's $123/shr pricing of its $5B offering this morning. On the conference call, Goldman's CFO warned that it's "still a dangerous environment out there" and insisted that returning government TARP funds is a "duty." In other comments he confirmed that Goldman's competitive position has improved considerably despite troubles in the industry, noting that it has cut its leveraged loan exposure from around $52B in Q3 to around $2.3B in Q1. Next up: JP Morgan, which reports on Thursday morning.

- In other earnings news, Dow component Johnson & Johnson is up a modest 2% after reporting earnings just a hair ahead of the consensus views and missing revenue targets by a bit. The firm also reaffirmed its 2009 forecast. WW Grainger blew out the consensus earnings forecast, sending shares of GWW up 8% after the bell. But GWW's CEO warned that the bottom isn't here yet, noting that the company expects increased pricing pressure throughout the remainder of the year. And note also that Dendreon is up a whopping 200% thanks to the pre-release of some positive data from a Phase III study of the company's Provenge prostate cancer drug. Dendreon said the drug met its primary endpoint of improving overall survival, but key findings from the study are due to be discussed at a conference later this month.

- Currency trading has seen growing expectations that the worst may be over for the global recession, despite plenty of reminders that the road ahead is full of potholes. Dealers are noting that a certain level of euphoria about the US economy is starting to surface, although the US retail sales data brought back some risk aversion (US job losses are seen adversely impacting consumer spending) ahead of the key Chinese GDP data due out Thursday morning. There are differing opinions between the official and analyst positions on China. European participants returned rather edgy from the long weekend over the pending data, reacting to comments from Chinese PBoC advisor Fan Gang that it might take an dditional 2-3 years to complete China's economic adjustment. But one investment house put out a research note saying that Premier Wen seemed to indicate that China Industrial Production jumped 8.3% in March, which would be above current consensus of 6.3%.

- EUR/USD tested 1.3230 before consolidating its session losses while USD/JPY tested its 200-day moving average just below the 99.00 handle. Energy-related commodities guided the price action of the CAD and AUD currency pairs. The USD/CAD bounced off the 1.2110 level as continued concerns over the length of the global recession surfaced ahead of US President Obama's economic speech.

chopfest.. now that all the traders are at their desks we chop chop chop for three hours..