Dow 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like to hold overnight and I'm currently flat. I made a couple of scalps to make up for my stop-loss.

550 would be nice (I hope so). If my first trade had not been stopped out I would hold my long and trail it with a stop.

MA's are moving back towards eachother. maybe we'll sink down to 440 for a bit?

EDIT: Oh and remember the news coming out at 2:15 eastern time

I don't like to hold overnight and I'm currently flat. I made a couple of scalps to make up for my stop-loss.

550 would be nice (I hope so). If my first trade had not been stopped out I would hold my long and trail it with a stop.

MA's are moving back towards eachother. maybe we'll sink down to 440 for a bit?

EDIT: Oh and remember the news coming out at 2:15 eastern time

Yes possibly.

I'm holding out for more upside... Unless 460 is breached I'll hang on.

I've now closed pos at 482 based on 5min charts where double top has formed and 500 is strugling.

Feel we may well drop to 460 so why lose pips? :whistling I've had a good run. :)

Dabling in a little gold too which looks like it's taking off from todays lows. Lets hope. :eek:

Hi Pat !!

Yeah
You just found it if you like the Dow !!

I like your pic pat ...Ok yes thanks.
You happen to know a list of all historical corporate events with stock movements
in percentages. Website or book would be helpfull...

Thank you,

11500 is the number to be hit now. going to 11700 in this week.
If FED help us.

FED keeps 2% = GOOD OR BAD ???

Last edited:
Go Fed Go!

Well if oil keeps pulling back, stocks will continue to rally. If Oil goes up, go long on gold and short dow.

HOLY SMOKES, MINI DOW JUST SPIKED 45 pts! That was odd. Is it the news?

I'm not even sure how it will help or hurt, LOL.

Let me take a stab, correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have a BS in Economics or anything!):

FED is holding interest rate, so that means inflation is not soaring too much right? If they increased interest rates, that would mean inflation is a problem. The gov't wants people to borrow money, so they keep the interest rates lower.

DOW traders reacted positive to the news. Tomorrow we may see a short correction (I always pretend I'm the market maker and try to "trap" a few longs at the open). So it's possible there will be small correction and then bounce upward. Or they will try to trap a few shorts and continue the bull run. Either way, have the stops set and be ready to react.

USD is looking pretty damn good too (we're at monthly high, nearing June's high!). If Oil can stay down, we'll see another fun day tomorrow.

the markets are in a similar position to a couple of weeks ago. the dow has just closed above 11600 just like the 22nd of July. the next day 23th of July the market went as high as 11699 intra day before closing at 11632 and then the down move started. I think the next resistance is around 11650 then 11665,11699, 11875, 11985. Today is the day to see if the market can hold on to the gains. Are the markets going to repeat themselves.

I like your pic pat ...Ok yes thanks.
You happen to know a list of all historical corporate events with stock movements
in percentages. Website or book would be helpfull...

Thank you,

Yeah about the pic !! Wish the owner would call round sometime ?

Try Hemscott.com

I'm looking for it to inch closer towards 11700, or 650.
Looking for a morning sell by market makers to "trap" a few longs from yesterday.
We hit 611 overnight so there's a good chance will dip and come back up to atleast 611, maybe 650 :)
Then it'll come down, most likely.

Good luck.

I'm looking for it to inch closer towards 11700, or 650.
Looking for a morning sell by market makers to "trap" a few longs from yesterday.
We hit 611 overnight so there's a good chance will dip and come back up to atleast 611, maybe 650 :)
Then it'll come down, most likely.

Good luck.

I think on the hourly charts we may test pivot point 11512 levels before we continue up.

Could even test S1 at 11416 before move up continues.

Bollinger Band breakout might be good one to watch on the hourlies for direction today.

I think it might be a good idea and watch the market for the next couple of hours before trying to determine direction.
:whistling

dont forget we a have the meaningless oil inventories.. every bloody week everyone reacts to the oil market and then we end up exactly where were before the figures came out!

Lets see what happens today. Could push the market higher or lower!

dont forget we a have the meaningless oil inventories.. every bloody week everyone reacts to the oil market and then we end up exactly where were before the figures came out!

Lets see what happens today. Could push the market higher or lower!

I have BBands 11615 - 11550 narrow band on the hourlies. Best to sit it out I think.

Watch for the break out in either direction imo.

Yeah it was good to sit out as I learned the hard way.

Took a small loss, but now riding it up.
It needs to keep going up, or im out for the day.

Yeah it was good to sit out as I learned the hard way.

Took a small loss, but now riding it up.
It needs to keep going up, or im out for the day.

Amazing stuff.

I think we have bounced off the pivot point and now just breaking out to the upside after testing support.

Morning fall and then a rise. Pretty much what you suggested Arthur. Good call. (y)

Atilla:

My call was right, but unfortunately I didn't follow my own system and rules of trading. I exited my short when I saw the bounce, but I wasn't confident to go long. Silly me. If I had followed my system I would be seeing lots of green right now! Why do us traders have momentary lapses in logical thinking!? I don't know...but I decided to print off a checklist I will go through for each position to validate whether long/short is justified. This should make me more aware of my plan and rules of trading.

I actually disregarded my system (VERY STUPID MOVE) because I thought the sell off would have been much stronger! Turns out that many traders had no problem sucking up the volume at daily support @11510. I was so sure it would crack and thankfully when I realized I was wrong, I got out @11560 and left my desk P*ssed off!
Just another draw down.

Tomorrow, here is my call:

Basically we'll see the same chart pattern evolve. Stay out of the mrkt in the morning because it will be choppy up and down, then if we get as low as 11510, this should act as support. If 11510 doesn't support we'll short DOW as long as MA's are moving down. 11560 is decent support as well. I always think that the market makers will try to sell through various supports and trigger a cascade of stops, but as long as traders can get the DOW to bounce, it will take off. That's why it's important to stay out until we see a bounce...and you can't be too quick to short like I did, it's too strong with the USD rally and OIL getting beat down.

USD/EURO will need to fight off the sharks. Key support for dollar is around 0.6462, so if USD can't hold onto gains, DOW will not hold gains. It looks like the USD/EURO is targeting 0.65

DOW is struggling to move upward in a smooth way. Today was jagged up movement, seeming tentative. DOW is acting like a manic depressive.

Follow those MA's and the day will be easy. 50/50 chance of up or down, which will be dependent on the usd, oil, and mrkt sentiment.

Give the dow till 1030AM eastern time and the trend should be established by then. Watching and waiting isn't such a bad idea when DOW is chopping upwards in a rough fashion.

this is the third time the markets have stopped around this area. If it has another go it has to break this time or else down we go to the lows. The top may have been last night.
The dollar has had a good run and oil has fallen back which has helped the market to rise. The dollar index closed at 74.25 last night which is the middle of very strong resistance in the 74.00/74.50 area. Oil has fallen from $147 to $118.50 last night, I think it can test the March high around $110.00 before it has a decent bounce.

Atilla:

My call was right, but unfortunately I didn't follow my own system and rules of trading. I exited my short when I saw the bounce, but I wasn't confident to go long. Silly me. If I had followed my system I would be seeing lots of green right now! Why do us traders have momentary lapses in logical thinking!? I don't know...but I decided to print off a checklist I will go through for each position to validate whether long/short is justified. This should make me more aware of my plan and rules of trading. I'm developing a traders driving system based on the highway code. When the lines are green stick to the left hand side of the road (go long). When the MA lines are red stick to the right hand side (go short). Still dabling in time frames but entries are when the colours change from Red to Green or Green to Red. You can add to position when price and MAs cross over in same direction. Likewise scale out. I haven't perfected this system but it has a lot of merit im biased opinion... :cheesy:

I actually disregarded my system (VERY STUPID MOVE) because I thought the sell off would have been much stronger! Turns out that many traders had no problem sucking up the volume at daily support @11510. I was so sure it would crack and thankfully when I realized I was wrong, I got out @11560 and left my desk P*ssed off!
Just another draw down. I gave back some of my pips too last night the pull back after 7 pm was pretty good. My ticket closed at limit of 650. I went back in seeing it marching forwards and the pull back got me. Should have called it a night.

Tomorrow, here is my call:

Basically we'll see the same chart pattern evolve. Stay out of the mrkt in the morning because it will be choppy up and down, then if we get as low as 11510, this should act as support. If 11510 doesn't support we'll short DOW as long as MA's are moving down. 11560 is decent support as well. I always think that the market makers will try to sell through various supports and trigger a cascade of stops, but as long as traders can get the DOW to bounce, it will take off. That's why it's important to stay out until we see a bounce...and you can't be too quick to short like I did, it's too strong with the USD rally and OIL getting beat down.

USD/EURO will need to fight off the sharks. Key support for dollar is around 0.6462, so if USD can't hold onto gains, DOW will not hold gains. It looks like the USD/EURO is targeting 0.65

DOW is struggling to move upward in a smooth way. Today was jagged up movement, seeming tentative. DOW is acting like a manic depressive.

Follow those MA's and the day will be easy. 50/50 chance of up or down, which will be dependent on the usd, oil, and mrkt sentiment.

Give the dow till 1030AM eastern time and the trend should be established by then. Watching and waiting isn't such a bad idea when DOW is chopping upwards in a rough fashion.

Here are two charts - Weekly and Daily.

On the Weekly charts it's a buy. I think a big H&S formation has played its self out (shown in blue lines). There is perhaps another bigger one (neck line shown in purple) but this could be in the making. This is a reason why we should have a bounce as supported by S&R lines perhaps to 11800 or even 12000s.

The weekly MA5 has already turned green (buy signal for me) supported by MACD. My target on the weeklies based on Pivot Points would be R1@ 11821 and R2@ 11980.

More over price is about to cut MA10 with MACD in support. Hence, I'm still bullish on longs.

On the Daily charts it's still a buy because MACD is still rising and lines wide apart coupled with green MAs. Hence, stick to left hand side of the road and go long.

S&R lines well supported and tested and I see rising triangle which is bullish.

Based on pivot points we are pretty much at Pivot point 11594.

My targets for today are...

R2 @ 11758
R1 @ 11676
PP @ 11594
S1 @ 11512
S2 @ 11430

Based on my hourly MAs I'm likely to go long. Will wait until about 3 pm before deciding.

Strange you should mention EURUSD as based on jckm's blog I looked and his charts and compared to mine and concurred with a nice pick up from S&R lines. http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-discussion/35836-eurusd-swing-trading-updated-running.html
I don't normally trade this FX but purely went for it on TA.

Good trading everyone... (y)

Attachments

• US30 Cash-2000607-W1.png
    US30 Cash-2000607-W1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 161
  • US30 Cash-20080807-D1.png
    US30 Cash-20080807-D1.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 144
So overall you think we're moving on up?

It really sold hard last night, I hope the buyers are lining up.
It's possible we may go down to further suport levels.

JCKM is thinking the EUR/USD is a falling wedge (bullish) pattern. But as we know, EUR is getting a beat down by USD so I don't buy it yet!

Seems like DOW might be stabalizing @ 11532 (23.6% fib line).
But we'll just wait and see.

Good trading!

So overall you think we're moving on up?

It really sold hard last night, I hope the buyers are lining up.
It's possible we may go down to further suport levels.

JCKM is thinking the EUR/USD is a falling wedge (bullish) pattern. But as we know, EUR is getting a beat down by USD so I don't buy it yet!

Seems like DOW might be stabalizing @ 11532 (23.6% fib line).
But we'll just wait and see.

Good trading!

On the hourlies my MAs are all pointing down and I have 11512 as S1. If it doesn't bounce off then 11430.

I'd still wait till 3 ish. Let others battle it out. On the long term charts overall I'm still bullish. I'd get bearish if 11430s are breached.

Status
Not open for further replies.