Diary of a swing spread better

Matter of principle

There had been at least three chances to jump on board the DOW train in the last few weeks. Of course, we have to assume that the DOW is still in an up trend. I paid too much attention to the DOW's intra day movements and missed the big picture.

Attachments

• dow swings.jpg
    dow swings.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 164
Yes, Hung, we've been slipping. Never try to spot the turn. I made that mistake, yesterday, by shorting AVZ.
I closed as quickly as I could this morning with a 10.4 loss.

Split

decided I am going to start a diary..or post here if its ok ith you hung, detaling my foray into SB. I will start on the next trend change, so middle/end next week ( maybe)

Splitlink said:
Yes, Hung, we've been slipping. Never try to spot the turn. I made that mistake, yesterday, by shorting AVZ.
I closed as quickly as I could this morning with a 10.4 loss.

Split

Hi Split,

I think it's difficult to earn money shorting stocks in a rising market. The sheer bullish sentiment might be enough to push up prices of even average companies. But if you you a day trader, then it would be a different story.

Good trading,

Hung

pboi said:
decided I am going to start a diary..or post here if its ok ith you hung, detaling my foray into SB. I will start on the next trend change, so middle/end next week ( maybe)

Pboi,

Welcome to the club! I think we learn a lot by disecting past successes and failures. It's not much different from looking at charts to learn about shares/indices...

I am confident that if I stick to my rules, I'll be a winner. But it's hard when you just start out and have time to sit in front of a computer. So I end up taking not the best trades but the average or sometimes the worst possible. Consider it part of the learning curve then!

Later,

Hung

FTSE above 6000 mark

And this is a first in the last five years. To be honest, I am very tempted to short it at this level. But I learnt my lesson and won't.

Like the DOW, it also offered patient swing traders three chances to ride the wave since January.

Attachments

• ftse above 6000.jpg
    ftse above 6000.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 124
  • ftse chances.jpg
    ftse chances.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 121
Stop loss order for AZN

Stop loss order at 2857 is in for AZN, risking about 40 points. Limit sell is in as well at 2960.

I quite like Fins' new platform. It allows me to place stop and limit orders on a single screen. Good service.

And I just learnt that the pharmaceutical industry actually looks quite bearish. The proof is AZN share price dropped in the day that the FTSE climbed above the 6000 mark.

But with my stake of just 30p, I won't close the trade unless I am stopped out.

Nothing is new under the sun, but I learn new things every single day.

Attachments

• fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 30 day price change.jpg
    30 day price change.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 145
well, ftse trend has been going for a while now, definately look to short sometime next week..maybe monday if there is a fallout from this 6k barrier being broken

You are very brave!

What I learnt is that there're many people ready to dive in the rising market at a price deem low enough for them. That's why it's hard to make money shorting at the moment. Unless you can capture 30 minute down swing everyday.

Tell me when you go short, so that I can go long :)

Good trading,

Hung

More fund to Fins

I've decided to put more 'venture capital' into my account at Fins. The total now is 300. Still have around 300 with CMC (yes, haven't closed the account) and 300 credit facility with Worldspreads.

My aim is to go back to year zero in the next 8-16 weeks.

Have also asked Fins to allow me to trade a minimum stake size of just 1p for the next 8 weeks. I don't think I'll ever trade 1p stake, but risking 30-50p on the DOW would be my limit at the moment.

pboi said:
well, ftse trend has been going for a while now, definately look to short sometime next week..maybe monday if there is a fallout from this 6k barrier being broken

Hi pboi,

Remember what I said the last time we chatted! :LOL: I tried shorting a share yesterday and lost money. I'm waiting for an established trend before I short again (this week :rolleyes: )

Have a nice weekend everyone, I'm off until Monday.

Split

Have a nice weekend, Split. My weekend is always over before it ever begins. I work Friday night and Sunday day. But I have Wed and Thurs off.

Just when I decide not to short the FTSE in an up trend, it has dropped about 30 points since 1030.

Attachments

• ftse drops.jpg
    ftse drops.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 153
Just an idea

I am thinking of going long DOW futures and shorting DOW 'daily cash' whenever the DOW moves up 80-100 points. I'll have a look at the DOW's chart again but there has normally been overlapping of price bars. Even it the DOW is trending up, it moves down 30 points every day.

I simply think that by placing a limit sell order for the DOW about 100 points from where it is now and a limit buy about 30 points below entry point with no stop loss (as the position is hedged by the future contract), it will stand a good chance of being a winning trade.

Of course, I'll only long the DOW at optimum entry point. And now is not the time. I'll have a look at a stock that has the same characteristics.

Since Dec 05, the DOW has not gapped up.

It looks like I may have a winning strategy and if this is it, nothing can be simpler.

Attachments

• dow dec 05 march 06.jpg
    dow dec 05 march 06.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 150
Well done Hungvir

Have been reading your dairy from the beginning it is very interesting, keep it up.

Not a fan of spreadbetting myself as I do not like trading against the spreadbetting companies.

hungvir said:
Since Dec 05, the DOW has not gapped up.

It looks like I may have a winning strategy and if this is it, nothing can be simpler.

Hung, becareful of EOD charts when dealing with gaps. A lot of gaps at the opening are filled, later, before the close. That is why there are so few gaps on an EOD chart.

Split

Last edited:
Quenkish said:
Have been reading your dairy from the beginning it is very interesting, keep it up.

Not a fan of spreadbetting myself as I do not like trading against the spreadbetting companies.

Thanks, Quenkish. I wonder how you can trade against the spreadbetting firms if you don't spreadbet :)

Splitlink said:
Hung, becareful of EOD charts when dealing with gaps. A lot of gaps at the opening are filled, later, before the close. That is why there are so few gaps on an EOD chart.

Split

That's true.

What I mean is the DOW travels down about a third of half of the previous day's bar almost every day. Doesn't it make sense to short it when it moves about 30-50 points above yesterday's high and get out of the trade when it moves down about 30 points from your entry.

If you look at the chart again, the odds are in the shorter's favour.

Best,

Hung

Splitlink said:

Split
Very good point Split.
Heres a chart for you hungvir to illustrate splits advice.

does your new plan still work now on a 15 minute chart?

Attachments

• DOW GAPS.JPG
    DOW GAPS.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited: