Diary of a swing spread better

Hung, one thing i had realised very early on - do not trade a view. No matter how much you can back up your views or ideas on the markets on both a technical or fundamental view, the markets will always catch you out. Trading is based on what you see, perhaps look past your view and trade a non emotional decision. Most institutions do not trade emotion but trade mechanical systems that have many permutations. A result of this is that they will develop a number of different models with different outcomes. Trade what you see not what you think! I know it is rather dull, but trading is not about a fix or a thrill it is about making money. I take no joy to volatility i may aswell bet on a horse at Cheltenham. Happy trading!

Very sound advice. Thanks, Marvin.

I have a tendency to short the DOW when it has moved 80-100 points a day. And I agree it is still a view.

Have a good night!

Hung

I could not resist selling SN this morning. It was up well over 20 points and I sold for 552.4. It is now a bit lower. I bought on 3rd for 507.

The spread was about 3 points at 0800. I'm pleased with SB trading (today, at least) and I know that money can be made by this method.

Split

Good one, Split. But what company is it?!

How did you find Fins' new trading platform. I haven't tried it myself but will probably will later this week or next.

hungvir said:
I closed my short position on LSE. Could have exited earlier in the day with double the amount I made. But a Worldspreads person told me ''a profit is a profit'' and I agree. My decision to short LSE based purely on my assumption that it can't go up any further as the takeover is not going to go ahead. But with brokerage houses still having target price at more than 900, I have my doubt.

I shorted LSE not very long ago. Had I chosen this week to short it, I would have been in deep trouble. It gapped up 30 per cent overnight because of the bid frenzy.

The question is: will it ever gap down?

Attachments

• lse gapping up.jpg
    lse gapping up.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 124
Hung news apparently the CEO of LSE a lady in fact told the Nasdaq too shove there offer firmly up the ass. I don't know what kind of an offer would suffice for her to approach shareholders. I am sure shareholders will bail out as they have made some £6 on the share since January the first. Having said that it seems like shareholders are quite comfortable to sit and wait again.

Hi Marvin,

Hope you've been having a good day. With NYSE's bid on the horizon, I think many will keep waiting. But I think it would be wise to keep a tight stop loss or close half the position.

The DOW has been having a good run during the last two days. I'll be waiting for a chance to short it. It will need to be a day full of negative news though.

Attachments

• dow heading up.jpg
    dow heading up.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 125
I am doing fine! Hey doing some research on Vietnam stock exchange. It is very well traded i didnt realise.
It is called the Vietnam Index and has 33 stocks. Ranging from Agifish to Taya vietnam. My spread on the index is 426 - 428 and you can trade with me Hung. I learn new things every day!

MarvinS said:
I am doing fine! Hey doing some research on Vietnam stock exchange. It is very well traded i didnt realise.
It is called the Vietnam Index and has 33 stocks. Ranging from Agifish to Taya vietnam. My spread on the index is 426 - 428 and you can trade with me Hung. I learn new things every day!

Very interesting. I know it exist but can't remember the name. Now I know it's Vietnam Index. If things haven't changed lately, they accept buy and sell orders only twice a day. But all the companies there are of superb quality.

MarvinS said:
By the was the index has risen by over 100 points since January.

And while we were talking, it managed to go up about 20 points.

Have a good night. I'll go and watch The Apprentice now.

Best,

Hung

Attachments

• dow march 15.jpg
    dow march 15.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 169
Hi Hung,

SN. is Smith and Nephew. I can't comment on Fins new platform because my cumputer has memory problems and the old platform is easier for me.

After selling SN I didn't have any plans to do more, so I was finished after 0815! Did some other jobs.

Good Luck, Split

Thanks.

And I have no postions open as well. Was stopped out of my Reuters short.

Will try Fins new one soon. They still allow me to trade pennies.

Best,

Hung

hungvir said:
Thanks.

And I have no postions open as well. Was stopped out of my Reuters short.

Will try Fins new one soon. They still allow me to trade pennies.

Best,

Hung

Still have BARC open.

Split

Decided to close BARC. Profit 13 points since 10th.
I feel that today may be a dull day. Shorted AVZ near where I think may be the top with a fairly close stop.

Split

On the hunt

I am hunting for new opportunities to trade but in no hurry.

I hope I can stick to my aim of trading small in the next few weeks. With just two 10 pound per point bet on the DOW, I gave back all the profit and made a loss of similar size which happened to be the same size of my last bonus at work.

How can someone lose money in a rising market? Good question!

BAE Systems has been dropping for the last few days. I think the up trend is still intact and there may be an opportunity to go long next week if it contitue to drop a bit more.

As soon as I deleted Prudential from my long list just because I don't like its chart, it went straight up. Happened to stumble across it in the volume leaders' list at ADVFN. I enlist it back to the long list again. Prudential has been quite successfull in the far east.

Attachments

• bae systems.jpg
    bae systems.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 186
  • pru.jpg
    pru.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 141
Azn

Placed a stop order to buy AZN at 2906 market price with Fins. The new platform is quite elegant and fast. I hope it will stay that way.

I only have 100 quids with Fins and that's only enough to place a 30p per point bet.

Attachments

• azn.jpg
    azn.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 153
Jupiter UK Growth

Jupiter UK Growth fund has achieved a gain of more than 120% over the last three years. The Guardian on March 11 quoted trustnet.co.uk as detailing that their largest holdings include

Xstrata
Charter
Royal & Sun All
Icap
Corus
Reed Elsevier
Barclays
BG Group

Will screen them to add to my long list if they're not in already.

It's interesting to hear Ian McVeigh, Jupiter's director saying ''You had to buy the stuff that had fallen most. I bought lots of Rolls-Royce, life insurance companies, Reuters, etc.''

There's always a wrong time to short a stock. I was stopped out of Reuters for a 60 quid loss a few days ago.

And the Jupiter director said consumer, housing and banks are vulnerable. ''They were once cheap, but they aren't now.'' Regarding oil, he said he prefered metal which he thought is ''stronger than oil''.