Diary of a swing spread better

last 45 minutes

chindl said:
Ah, so it's not only Eleft and myself being suckered at the moment!
The annoying thing is I was up to the tune of 24 points by 7-30pm, yesterday, 46 on Friday, 36 on Thursday. On all those days I gave back late in the session. AFter Friday I made a mental note to call it a day once 30 points to the good. Today I should have called it a day 6 short of the target.
The Dow is not the only market making life difficult at the moment. There are a very many counter trend moves on the go at the moment, strong trends in which various indicators predict long moves, but they don't follow through and reverse off. I for one will be keeping lighter positions on all markets until such time as the global events calm down a little, which we all hope will happen sooner rather than later don't we.
Have a good day.
Chris
the setup that you use that we all use is .we become a deer in the headlights they see us but we dont see them until its too late dont trade the last 45 minutes at best its 50/50 pure gamble the funds see the big picture we see sunrise sunset dont kid yourself take the trades that you understand and stay out of harms way sunrise sunset is an analogy for those who want to casr dispersion not literall

chindl said:
Ah, so it's not only Eleft and myself being suckered at the moment!
The annoying thing is I was up to the tune of 24 points by 7-30pm, yesterday, 46 on Friday, 36 on Thursday. On all those days I gave back late in the session. AFter Friday I made a mental note to call it a day once 30 points to the good. Today I should have called it a day 6 short of the target.
The Dow is not the only market making life difficult at the moment. There are a very many counter trend moves on the go at the moment, strong trends in which various indicators predict long moves, but they don't follow through and reverse off. I for one will be keeping lighter positions on all markets until such time as the global events calm down a little, which we all hope will happen sooner rather than later don't we.
Have a good day.
Chris
in the 70,s 80,s and early90,s there were mom and pop long term investors,prey for those on the floor,plenty of paper, its all gone,we are the sheep now, you are never more than an ant at the picnic , be humble, take your bread crumb, and stay away from big shoes, dont trade the opening or the close, let it set up take your money and run

Cheers for the advice Ammo - it is something I advocate, but sometimes the red mist takes over and it seems like a good idea. I must say on most occasions I turn round to the missus afterwards and say, if I get tempted on the last hour come over and punch me!!!!!
Here's a daily chart of the September contract, look at the difference in the volume on the two bottoms? Anyone a volume junkie, it would seem to me that lower volume due to less partakers as a result of the troubles and the volatility in the crude complex and the metals. We had sell ofs on both yesterday, with gold down some $14 and crude down nearly $3 from the Friday peak, with divergence on the peak vs the fast line MACD. I have attached both charts for ref.
Higher close on the Dow chart, just, from a gap lower at close. Almost a Doji but for the gap at the start. The highs were made in the early part of the session, and then it attempted to get back to those highs on the later rally, closing some way off in the end.
Is the difference in volume on the Dow more significant on this attempt to break the low made on that high volume back in mid June. Perhaps someone who has knowledge of volume would be able to offer some enlightenment. Notice also the increase in volume in both Crude and Gold on the back of the lower Dow volume, is this indicative of people running to these markets in these times of trouble?
Chris

Attachments

• Sept Dow Future 17 July 06.gif
    Sept Dow Future 17 July 06.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Gold Daily 17 July.gif
    Gold Daily 17 July.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Crude Daily 17 July.gif
    Crude Daily 17 July.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hello from BKK,

I am glad that this thread is still active. And the bears are active in the market as well. I hope they'll go into hibernation by the winter :)

It's very hot and sticky here. I include some pictures I took whil wandering around BKK. There's also a picture galery of a tuk tuk driver that I did for the Vietnamese Service if you want to have a look http://www.bbc.co.uk/vietnamese/inpictures/story/2006/07/060717_tuk_tuk_driver.shtml .

It looks like I won't be able to trade when I am here. Too busy and too much to go and see. It's just as well as the internet connection is oh so slow. It took me 30 minutes to log on this morning :(

Good luck to all and hope to talk to you again soon.

Cheers,

Hung

Attachments

• grand palace with a car IMG_0076.JPG
    grand palace with a car IMG_0076.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • thuyen tren song Chao Phraya IMG_0057.JPG
    thuyen tren song Chao Phraya IMG_0057.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • den tho phat nam IMG_0058.JPG
    den tho phat nam IMG_0058.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 07 flower incense and porcelain elephant seller.JPG
    07 flower incense and porcelain elephant seller.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • 08 not one but many stalls.JPG
    08 not one but many stalls.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
We have Tuk Tuks here Hung?!?!?! Check this out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/5153122.stm

You mean to tell us that you went all that way on Tax Payers money to do some snaps of Tuk Tuks when you could have swung a left on the southern end of the 25. And you'd have been here in less than 60 miles door to door from Dartford! Actually, thinkin about it, it's probably quicker to get to Bangkok to see em than queue for years to get to Brighton in the summer holidays!!!!!

Better day today, and yes, I'm posting before the close. Took me 30 by 7-30 so shut up shop like the Italians do when the ref has been handed a brown paper bag! Had it not been for a stupid mistake at 4pm I would have been done by then, but I hit the wrong button, and bought instead of sold and lost 12 in rectifying the mistake, that would have had me at 32 plus.... Still, managed to overcome the error and finish on target. Phew, first up day since last Tues, a relief...
All the best
Chris

Found this today. Short the commodities, the anal-ysts say there in a bull, usually a good move to fade most anal-ysts IMHO!!!!!
Chris

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - The prices of gold, crude oil and corn will soar to record highs during the second half of the year, boosted by global political tensions, oil-production worries and soaring demand for bio-fuels, according to commodities analysts speaking at a panel discussion in Chicago.

"A combination of growing industrial demand, supply constraints in some markets, and dollar weakness [are] all contributing to an upward price trend for many commodities," said Daniel Raab, managing director of AIG Financial Products Corp. in New York.

Raab was part of a panel of experts discussing the midyear commodities outlook at an event organized by Dow Jones Indexes and AIG Financial Products at the Chicago Board of Trade on Tuesday.

The Dow Jones-AIG Commodity Total Return Index has risen 7.81% so far this year. Investor interest in the commodity markets has also grown. An estimated $30 billion, twice the amount recorded a year ago, is tracking the Dow Jones-AIG Commodity Index on a global basis.

Gold prices will hit the $825-$850 range for the second half of 2006, propelled by violence and political uncertainty worldwide and particularly in the Middle East and North Korea, said Charles Nedoss, senior account manager at Peak Trading Group in Chicago.

"At times of political turmoil, gold does tend to outperform, and world tensions have been escalating to unprecedented levels," Nedoss said. "The risk premium ... in gold is going to increase as well."

Gold futures dropped almost $20 Tuesday on the New York Mercantile Exchange after rallying last week on the outbreak of fighting between Israel and Lebanon, which triggered safe-haven demand for the metal.

Also last week, deadly train bombings in Mumbai, India's financial center, and developments surrounding the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea also boosted demand for gold. See metals sector.

In mid-May, gold soared to a 26-year high of $730 an ounce before selling off sharply. By mid-June, gold had bottomed just above $645.

New market players, particularly hedge funds and exchange-traded funds, have "brought a lot of volatility" on the gold market, which "creates a lot of trading opportunities," Nedoss said.

Increases in crude-oil prices also have had a positive effect on gold, Nedoss said.

"Crude is really one of the key drivers in price discovery for gold," he said.

Crude oil for August delivery was last trading unchanged at $75.30 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. See futures movers.

Crude prices will likely climb to $100 a barrel in the next 90 days, said John Kilduff, senior vice president and co-head of the energy-risk-management group at Fimat USA in New York.

Such a jump in prices might be triggered by a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico or oil-production disruptions in Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Venezuela, Kilduff said.

Oil has become "a barometer for world tensions," Kilduff said, and as a result, the oil market will be affected by developments in Israel, Lebanon and North Korea. Investors will also follow closely the Iranian nuclear situation - Iran is the world's fourth-biggest oil producer.

Crude-oil prices might pull back in 2007, possibly below $50 a barrel, if global tensions ease and the Federal Reserve contains inflation, Kilduff said.

Elsewhere on the commodity markets, the global "bio-fuel revolution," particularly the explosion in ethanol production, will drive demand for corn and soybeans, pushing prices upward, said Daniel Basse, president of research firm AGResource in Chicago.

"Bio-diesel demand is just astronomical," Basse said. "The corn market has to go to $4 or higher."

Corn for September delivery was last trading at 2451/2 cents a bushel, down 2.4%.

Basse said demand for corn ethanol in the U.S. will almost triple by 2012, while corn stocks globally are at their lowest levels since 1984.

Demand for bio-fuels is rising not only in the U.S. but also globally, particularly in China, Canada, the European Union, Brazil, and Indonesia, Basse said.

"This is going to have a tremendous dislocation on grain demand," Basse said. The world will need "record large global corn crops if we're going to keep up with the demand," while global wheat stocks will continue to decline, Basse said.

Ethanol, an alcohol-based alternative fuel produced from starch or sugar-based feedstocks, has been particularly hot this year as oil prices have skyrocketed, heightening concerns that the U.S. depends too much on imported oil. Ethanol is blended with gasoline to improve its emissions quality.

In 2005, 95 ethanol refineries in 19 states produced 4 billion gallons of ethanol, an increase of 17% from 2004 and 126% since 2001, according to the Renewable Fuels Association, the national trade association for the American ethanol industry. See archived story on ethanol.

my long just triggered 2nite after the close, lets see if it ralies 2mmorow.

just took my profit at11005 for a profit of 185 pts, now short at 11005

doh that exit and short was a mistake, i'm not at home and i've just rushed on to the pc and misread the position of the pivot point as 11005 when its actually 11095 which means i should be exiting and going shrt at 11080 or above, will try to get back in long if it dips a bit before rising further.

Haven't traded since the early part of the day, took 108 points early doors and decided to have an evening with thef amily when I got home from work instead, may take the week off now. Strange thing just happened with WS though, I opened a trade, it seemed to refer me to a dealer (not sure of this), but then confirmed the price to be correct and advised it had been entered. My account is still showing no deal some 20 mins later, I have been taking screenshots with the date and time shwoing on the screen as proof. Should this kick in somewhere down the line and it opens at a disadvantageous price I will be on the phone so quick you will not believe.

chindl said:
Haven't traded since the early part of the day, took 108 points early doors and decided to have an evening with thef amily when I got home from work instead, may take the week off now. Strange thing just happened with WS though, I opened a trade, it seemed to refer me to a dealer (not sure of this), but then confirmed the price to be correct and advised it had been entered. My account is still showing no deal some 20 mins later, I have been taking screenshots with the date and time shwoing on the screen as proof. Should this kick in somewhere down the line and it opens at a disadvantageous price I will be on the phone so quick you will not believe.
hope you get sorted. after thread on ws i decided to stay where i am at least my trades are guaranteed to be taken.

Hey chaps - was it really any surprise that Ben made a doveish speech today given the geo political tensions that we have at the moment. Thoughts anyone?
Also, given this is a news type spike, reversal tomorrow anyone?
Other markets. Good moves against the dollar, especially sterling. Gold stronger today reversing the sell off yesterday. Silver was an even bigger percentage riser today, and this could be something to keep an eye on as it often leads gold, daily candle has a bullish engulfing pattern. In turn, Platinum did not move too much, but leaves an hammer right on support at 1214 and Platinum tends to lead the group in precious. Let the dust settle on precious for me at the moment. Crude dropped off after inventories were up, especially in gasoline inventories. It is no surprise that the stocks have been built up over the course of the last ten days given the situation in the middle east and this explains the spike in price. Does anyone feel that crude has topped, I don't for one minute. The Sept contract retraced today, but the October contract did not, with the october showing a good long legged doji. this could prove to be an insight on where Sept will go tomorrow. I would expect that, if crude is your thing, this would be a good entry point on the pullback from the high. Not much happening in the grains at the moment, seem to be waiting on weather news, obviously not had the weather in the belts that we have had here in the UK this past week, phew it was hot today.
Hope everyone else took their e of the profits on offer from the push through today, think the one min only dipped below the 100 EMA twice, and one of those was on the close, which is to be expected on such a big move.
Chris

chindl said:
Hey chaps - was it really any surprise that Ben made a doveish speech today given the geo political tensions that we have at the moment. Thoughts anyone?
Also, given this is a news type spike, reversal tomorrow anyone?
Other markets. Good moves against the dollar, especially sterling. Gold stronger today reversing the sell off yesterday. Silver was an even bigger percentage riser today, and this could be something to keep an eye on as it often leads gold, daily candle has a bullish engulfing pattern. In turn, Platinum did not move too much, but leaves an hammer right on support at 1214 and Platinum tends to lead the group in precious. Let the dust settle on precious for me at the moment. Crude dropped off after inventories were up, especially in gasoline inventories. It is no surprise that the stocks have been built up over the course of the last ten days given the situation in the middle east and this explains the spike in price. Does anyone feel that crude has topped, I don't for one minute. The Sept contract retraced today, but the October contract did not, with the october showing a good long legged doji. this could prove to be an insight on where Sept will go tomorrow. I would expect that, if crude is your thing, this would be a good entry point on the pullback from the high. Not much happening in the grains at the moment, seem to be waiting on weather news, obviously not had the weather in the belts that we have had here in the UK this past week, phew it was hot today.
Hope everyone else took their e of the profits on offer from the push through today, think the one min only dipped below the 100 EMA twice, and one of those was on the close, which is to be expected on such a big move.
Chris

on a swing trading tip, looks like we have a major turn in the equity & forex markets that will last for several weeks going into sept.

EUR/USD & SPOO's are buys on dips imvho (stop & reverse below this weeks low).

Chris,

the move yesterday may have been news based, but then wasnt last weeks move down pushed by the middle east news? where it will go today not sure, i managed to re enter long with a 10 point loss my stop is now 10980 if it moves up strongly fantastic, if i get stopped out another 20 pts is no real loss after yesterdays gains.

Yeah, great result yesterday elefteros, well worth getting out of bed!!!! Thought you may have bought the end of day dip. Let's see.
Chris

dip

Elefteros said:
doh that exit and short was a mistake, i'm not at home and i've just rushed on to the pc and misread the position of the pivot point as 11005 when its actually 11095 which means i should be exiting and going shrt at 11080 or above, will try to get back in long if it dips a bit before rising further.
i think ther wer a lot of earnings last night and the spus retraced 66 percent from ther last downmove so yoou may see a pullback

well it did drop today so knoced 25 off the 180 + the 10 for the silly trade leaving me with 145.

next trade is long at 10921or short at 11125.

long triggered out of hours, at 10921

Attachments

• US30.png
    US30.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 133
Nothing doing for me today, little boys 5th birthday and we had a party this evening, so no trades taken whatsoever. It feels good to have a day off, especially after the big gain yesterday.
Gold retraced, but crude continued its' decline I see.